11/25/19 02:29 PM
11/25/19 02:29 PM
Garage
N
NicBuc Offline
NicBuc  Offline
N

Garage
Not sure why it's important for the side glass to be shatter proof. I'd want to be able to break it if I got trapped in and had to smash it to get out. Otherwise, it's difficult to comment without actually seeing the truck in person. I don't know if it was even intended to appeal to the typical truck-guy market. Whether it be Tesla or another company, I'm sure there will be an EV truck built that is more in line with the typical style and shape of trucks today.

Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: NicBuc] #2719187
11/25/19 02:40 PM
11/25/19 02:40 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
3hundred Offline
master
3hundred  Offline
master

Fort Worth, Texas
Originally Posted by NicBuc
Not sure why it's important for the side glass to be shatter proof. I'd want to be able to break it if I got trapped in and had to smash it to get out. Otherwise, it's difficult to comment without actually seeing the truck in person. I don't know if it was even intended to appeal to the typical truck-guy market. Whether it be Tesla or another company, I'm sure there will be an EV truck built that is more in line with the typical style and shape of trucks today.

It's not. The fail is Musk CLAIMED it was.

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'93 Ramcharger 5.7 Hemi
'93 Ramcharger 318 sold
'01 3500 4x4 Cummins 6 speed sold
'13 300 S sold
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: 3hundred] #2719203
11/25/19 03:06 PM
11/25/19 03:06 PM
Garage
N
NicBuc Offline
NicBuc  Offline
N

Garage
Originally Posted by 3hundred
Originally Posted by NicBuc

It's not. The fail is Musk CLAIMED it was.

Oh well. I don't even see that demonstration as a big deal. But in any case, we learn from our failures. You put yourself out there enough times, and you will fail, sometimes publicly. Gotta give him credit for that and not afraid of taking the risks and criticism. A lot more respect for him than the armchair idiots here and in the general public.

Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: DaveRS23] #2719214
11/25/19 03:47 PM
11/25/19 03:47 PM
Nort Cackalacky
rrbrucea Offline
Member known as the "Artist"
rrbrucea  Offline

Nort Cackalacky

Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: rrbrucea] #2719383
11/26/19 08:39 AM
11/26/19 08:39 AM
Perkiomenville PA
R
RWG75 Offline
super stock
RWG75  Offline
super stock
R

Perkiomenville PA
Somebody on another forum pointed out that they should get points for not doing a cookie cutter design. Ya know how every crossover suv looks like every other one and the only way to tell a chevy from a ford from a whatever is to look for the badge. Ok, give them the max points in that category but it's still freaking ugly inside and out.

Moving past the initial reaction, I think they may have actually won the tailgate wars or at least come up with something I find actually useable. The GM swiss army knife tailgate is just plain nuts but might have been interesting if they had stopped at "ya can make it in to a step ladder". The pic above with the optional quad in the bed looks like they built a ramp in to the tailgate. Ok, I rarely need a ramp but I find this idea pretty cool. I'm thinking that and the retractable hard tonneau cover bit will likely be copied by other manufacturers.

75 Charger SE - 440/4, cop suspension
76 Daytona - survivor
76 Daytona - tweaked
77 PW - macho clone, sno-commander, frankenram
79 RC - this was your fathers 4x4
79 LRE - More fun than it looks
Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: RWG75] #2719514
11/26/19 05:04 PM
11/26/19 05:04 PM
Spudsville
Mr. Potatohead Offline
Half Baked
Mr. Potatohead  Offline
Half Baked

Spudsville
Whats this about ford crying that the new ele truck just drug the best selling truck across a parking lot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVzfpnQYYxo

Last edited by Mr. Potatohead; 11/26/19 05:08 PM.

My family is a bunch of Fruits and Vegetables and many cant tell us apart. EAT ME!
Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: Mr. Potatohead] #2719645
11/27/19 06:22 AM
11/27/19 06:22 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
Whats this about ford crying that the new ele truck just drug the best selling truck across a parking lot?

Everyone knows a comparison of torque between fuel VS electric is like a knife vs a gun. I dont need to watch the Tesla video to know it pulled the ford around like a little red wagon. But the ford is available to buy now- new or used. It has OEM and aftermarket support and a network of dealerships and independent shops capable of servicing it. All electric might be a good local delivery- fleet product.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: 2boltmain] #2719698
11/27/19 11:29 AM
11/27/19 11:29 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
would a constant start/stop usage be hard on the battery, or get less mileage out of a charge ?
beer

Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: IMGTX] #2720508
11/30/19 08:19 PM
11/30/19 08:19 PM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Originally Posted by IMGTX
I personally the biggest fail is the looks of the design. Not because the looks are futuristic but because they deviate from the norm too much. I like the ideas he incorporated, but people who buy trucks expect a truck to look like a truck. I think this is why the Prius sales dropped so dramatically after it had the market. It looked too different and when other hybrids hit the market that looked like normal cars people gravitated to them. It has been seen before with cars like the Edsel and Airstream that didn't go over well do to their futuristic styling. The other Tesla's focused on normal looks & innovative technology and they seem to be doing well.

In my opinion if they made it a little more normal and changed it over time to be the futuristic design it would do better in the market.

Right now it is very good at being a show car to get people talking. To this end it is a win for them.

Musk's design looks like it escaped from some 8 bit video game from the 1980's...too much weed and Nintendo will do that to ya..

Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: Sixpak] #2720510
11/30/19 08:33 PM
11/30/19 08:33 PM
Spudsville
Mr. Potatohead Offline
Half Baked
Mr. Potatohead  Offline
Half Baked

Spudsville
Hmmm we piss and moan over how trucks today are not trucks but rather luxury rides, now we get a plain jane truck to serve two purposes, be an early electric vehicle and the haul a payload and we complain.

What the hell, Im not super impressed with mr bong head Elon but how many here carries the weight in society or financially regardless of how or why as this guy? Ummm no one, not even flippin close. A bunch of old car guys just being negative on a early entry vehicle. Id bet as things progress it will only get better.

One thing our parents failed to embrace is change, and so we carry it on in a neg. way vs to embrace change and be optimistic of what the future will bring but still overlooking the hurdles from the Model T to current production rides. Get a grip guys.

My family is a bunch of Fruits and Vegetables and many cant tell us apart. EAT ME!
Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: Mr. Potatohead] #2720530
11/30/19 10:11 PM
11/30/19 10:11 PM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
RamblerMan Offline
master
RamblerMan  Offline
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
One thing our parents failed to embrace is change, and so we carry it on in a neg. way vs to embrace change and be optimistic of what the future will bring but still overlooking the hurdles from the Model T to current production rides. Get a grip guys.

Change is a good thing. An evolution of design is actually pretty fun to watch (ie: look how the Mustang has evolved: many designs were evolutionary, a couple were revolutionary). That's good 'change'. It's not so out-there different that people can't adjust to it. It's easier for the masses to accept it.

But change simply for the sake of change ain't such a hot idea. This Cybertruck is a complete 180 from pretty much every current design. Why? No real reason other than that's the direction they wanted to go. Kudos to them for trying, but this line of thinking is rarely (if ever) successful. Sure, it may be the best design choice humanity has ever come up with, but if it's so drastic that you put-off more than you turn-on.... well, how successful do you think it's going to be?

The Chrysler Airflow is a perfect example. Now granted, there has been lots happening in the automotive world in the 80+ years since then, but in the grand scheme of things, we as a people; a species, have not really evolved. So it's not out-of-line to think that the people of 1934 reacted the same way to the Airflow as the people of 2019 reacted to the Cybertruck.

In both instances, had the designers not chosen the more radical approach, they might-could have garnered more approval from the masses.

Personally, I dig some of the technology. But some of the design and/or style choices do nothing for me. I like the minimalist approach - I like the whole notion of "Less is More", but this truck is not going to get me to give up my AMC Gremlin any time soon.

Last edited by RamblerMan; 11/30/19 10:13 PM.

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....

Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: RamblerMan] #2720548
12/01/19 01:04 AM
12/01/19 01:04 AM
Pittsburgh,PA
RTSrunner Offline
top fuel
RTSrunner  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh,PA
I bet this was to display the tech aspect only and the Popular Mecanics kit like body was for shock factor only,and that seemed to work.The production truck is probably a bit more conventional in design like most show cars we've seen in the past.But maybe not, time will tell!

Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: RTSrunner] #2720553
12/01/19 01:39 AM
12/01/19 01:39 AM
State of Jefferson
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

State of Jefferson
If nothing else, the design has spawned an entire genre of memes that are hilarious laugh2 Time will tell how the design ages. I kinda don't like that it's been growing on me runaway

I saw another guy online has a Prius for commuting, an F350 for towing, and a wrangler for offroading. He's planning to replace all three with it. I think there's definitely a market for it, if even only some of the 250k people follow through and buy it.

Originally Posted by moparx
would a constant start/stop usage be hard on the battery, or get less mileage out of a charge ?
beer

As long as it was designed properly, it shouldn't. The hardest thing on the batteries is going to too low of a charge, which can also be somewhat mitigated by the design. Driving in town is generally great with EVs, since they can recharge while slowing down. With EFI, they can turn off the injectors and not use any fuel while slowing down, which is awesome, but doesn't do anything to refill the tank grin

Originally Posted by RTSrunner
I bet this was to display the tech aspect only and the Popular Mecanics kit like body was for shock factor only,and that seemed to work.The production truck is probably a bit more conventional in design like most show cars we've seen in the past.But maybe not, time will tell!

At the very least, the production model will need windshield wipers laugh2 And maybe side mirrors work

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: hooziewhatsit] #2720677
12/01/19 04:13 PM
12/01/19 04:13 PM
Garage
N
NicBuc Offline
NicBuc  Offline
N

Garage
The market for this truck is certainly NOT the moparts demographic. So mostly any "fail" mentioned here is just the blabbering of a boomer that still wears tighty whities and is in bed after Wheel of Fortune laugh

Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: Mr. Potatohead] #2720859
12/02/19 12:05 PM
12/02/19 12:05 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...

The 2WD F150 pointing downhill has all it's weight on the non pulling tires limiting traction. Flip them around and make the F150 a 4WD and it will probably be different result. Maybe it will win and maybe it will still be the same but less dramatic.

This was a staged show to impress the gullible, and it worked for the masses of sheeple that adore Tesla, Apple products, safes spaces, believe the world is fair, and the internet never lies.

Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: IMGTX] #2720902
12/02/19 02:46 PM
12/02/19 02:46 PM
State of Jefferson
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

State of Jefferson
It really was a pretty terrible demo laugh2

Not long afterwards, one of the Ford VPs asked to borrow the truck to do a proper demonstration with one of their trucks (presumably flat ground, 4wd, bed loaded to capacity, etc). Musk said "Sure!"

Then Ford corporate stepped in and said "Nope!" hammer

Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: IMGTX] #2720903
12/02/19 03:07 PM
12/02/19 03:07 PM
Nort Cackalacky
rrbrucea Offline
rrbrucea  Offline

Nort Cackalacky
Originally Posted by IMGTX

The 2WD F150 pointing downhill has all it's weight on the non pulling tires limiting traction. Flip them around and make the F150 a 4WD and it will probably be different result. Maybe it will win and maybe it will still be the same but less dramatic.

This was a staged show to impress the gullible, and it worked for the masses of sheeple that adore Tesla, Apple products, safes spaces, believe the world is fair, and the internet never lies.

There's a Tesla charging station located prominently at our local mall. It even has an illuminated logo! Always makes me consider how my state generates electricity in 3 ways—pretty much evenly divided into thirds: coal, nuclear, and gas fired. But those Teslas are CLEAN, right? Makes a person wonder... And FWIW, wind-generated power hardly factors in at all here.

Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: rrbrucea] #2720909
12/02/19 03:30 PM
12/02/19 03:30 PM
State of Jefferson
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

State of Jefferson
Originally Posted by rrbrucea
There's a Tesla charging station located prominently at our local mall. It even has an illuminated logo! Always makes me consider how my state generates electricity in 3 ways—pretty much evenly divided into thirds: coal, nuclear, and gas fired. But those Teslas are CLEAN, right? Makes a person wonder... And FWIW, wind-generated power hardly factors in at all here.

Even in the areas of the country that get a lot of power from coal, EVs are still cleaner.

https://blog.ucsusa.org/dave-reichmuth/new-data-show-electric-vehicles-continue-to-get-cleaner

I thought for sure they had an even newer map than 2016. In any case, a newer map would just show even better numbers laugh2

Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: hooziewhatsit] #2720919
12/02/19 03:45 PM
12/02/19 03:45 PM
Clinton, NJ
N
njmopar Offline
super stock
njmopar  Offline
super stock
N

Clinton, NJ
Comparison between gas to electric in a pull like that is a gimmick. No doubt instant torque and traction would win.

I for one would rather see a real world comparison. Lets see how this Cybertruck pulls a 8900lb travel trailer on US-14 through Big Horn National Forest, like my '96 Ram 1500 did only a couple of years ago.

I thought I was in the clear on my way back home from Yellowstone to NJ and then came to this road and its 8%-10% grade that seems to go on FOREVER. I felt so sorry for my truck after subjecting it to that torture. Never seen my trans temp get so hot, but what can you do, not like you are pulling over or getting around it. My little 1500 wears it like a badge of honor now.

I guess on the plus side with an EV truck, think of all the regen energy you can gain on the way down, if you dont smoke your motors and battery. And if you can even make it up in the first place. Dont recall seeing Tesla charging stations along that route.

Re: Tesla truck intro FAIL! [Re: hooziewhatsit] #2720921
12/02/19 03:48 PM
12/02/19 03:48 PM
Nort Cackalacky
rrbrucea Offline
rrbrucea  Offline

Nort Cackalacky
Originally Posted by hooziewhatsit
Originally Posted by rrbrucea

Even in the areas of the country that get a lot of power from coal, EVs are still cleaner.

https://blog.ucsusa.org/dave-reichmuth/new-data-show-electric-vehicles-continue-to-get-cleaner

I thought for sure they had an even newer map than 2016. In any case, a newer map would just show even better numbers laugh2

Even accounting for eventual disposal of the batteries?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4