Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kidney stones anyone have them #2713004
11/05/19 01:56 PM
11/05/19 01:56 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,704
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline OP
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline OP
"Little"John

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,704
PA.
While away Racing at the Halloween Classic last month after several months of pain on my right lower back I think I passed a stone. I’m my motorhome it’s kinda hard to see but I thought I saw some blood while taking a piss. Next time I put some water in the bowl and sure enough there was some blood. The next trip it felt like I passes something and the was a lot more blood. Over the next day the blood tapered down to nothing. Now remember I’m 200 miles from home with a motorhome and car trailer so I’m kinda stuck there with 1300 other racers. Well the next Wednesday I had a scheduled doctor appointment so after a talk he ordered a cat scan. I just saw my results and I have one 2mm and one 6mm Stones. Lower back pain comes and goes but I can deal with it. For you guys that have dealt with it what did you do


1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
6.143@110.85 mph
9.73@135.05 mph shifting at 6700 RPM
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time




Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: pittsburghracer] #2713008
11/05/19 01:59 PM
11/05/19 01:59 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 35,245
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Online content
I Win
Cab_Burge  Online Content
I Win
C

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 35,245
Bend,OR USA
Drink more good water up scope
Been there done that twocents


Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: Cab_Burge] #2713010
11/05/19 02:05 PM
11/05/19 02:05 PM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 1,643
Spudsville
Mr. Potatohead Offline
Half Baked
Mr. Potatohead  Offline
Half Baked

Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 1,643
Spudsville
I really hate it for you, I really do. Did they talk about something to break them up, I thought they could zap some into smaller sizes?

Its one thing I hope to never never have, but as you know its semi common, Im sure the guys here that have had them can help you make it as easy as possible to ride this out. Good luck.


My family is a bunch of Fruits and Vegetables and many cant tell us apart. EAT ME!
Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: Cab_Burge] #2713011
11/05/19 02:05 PM
11/05/19 02:05 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,704
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline OP
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline OP
"Little"John

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,704
PA.
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Drink more good water up scope
Been there done that twocents




I have a good well at home so I do drink lots of water. I’m not a coffe or tea drinker so I even order water when eating out. I have a Diet Dew pop or two once or twice a month with vodka if out with friends. Other than that water.


1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
6.143@110.85 mph
9.73@135.05 mph shifting at 6700 RPM
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time




Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: Mr. Potatohead] #2713013
11/05/19 02:10 PM
11/05/19 02:10 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,278
md
M
mopars4ever Offline
I Live Here
mopars4ever  Offline
I Live Here
M

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,278
md
I have one right now that won`t come out. It is stuck in the tube between the kidney and bladder. It looks like they will have remove it as it is obstructing flow which can damage the kidney. I can`t get it blasted because of the location. I had horrible pain when it first moved from the kidney to the tube.When it isn`t moving the back pain isn`t so bad. I was told cut out the caffeine and drink plenty of water. I was also told usually a 6mm usually won`t pass on its own. I am also taking flowmax.

Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: Mr. Potatohead] #2713014
11/05/19 02:10 PM
11/05/19 02:10 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,704
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline OP
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline OP
"Little"John

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,704
PA.
Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
I really hate it for you, I really do. Did they talk about something to break them up, I thought they could zap some into smaller sizes?

Its one thing I hope to never never have, but as you know its semi common, Im sure the guys here that have had them can help you make it as easy as possible to ride this out. Good luck.




I haven’t talked to anyone yet as I get my blood and medical test emailed to me. My family doctor ordered the test so I signed papers so it would go to my Uroligist too. I called them yesterday and told the receptionist test results would be coming. The one I passed hurt but not a drop down to your knees kinda pain.


1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
6.143@110.85 mph
9.73@135.05 mph shifting at 6700 RPM
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time




Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: pittsburghracer] #2713040
11/05/19 03:26 PM
11/05/19 03:26 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,339
South Dakota
hotairballoonpilot Offline
master
hotairballoonpilot  Offline
master

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,339
South Dakota
1 non ER trip followed by 2 ER trips in a year and my wife has REALLY changed my diet. Like others WATER WATER WATER/ I also did some apple cider vinegar. Something acidy to soften things up and dissolve the stones helped my 1st round. Our friend is an ER nurse and when it hit I was in lots of pain. Nikki gave us home remedies like the ACV and other things. Flushed it with about a gallon of water in an hours time. Things passed and subsided. Week or so later and holy heck it was twice as bad to point couldn't even keep water or solids down. ER trip with lots of tests. Meds and fluids pushed through me and a followed up 10K bill I was better. 6 months later I fell at my part time job. Dr visit the next day to show I had stress fractures in the ankle. Following day the same back pains hit but where way worse, Er trip again. same results but more pain meds and another 10K bill. Lets just say I listen to my wife and drink a lot of water during the day and have 95% cut out any pop. I don't drink or smoke so other than that been healthy. She convinced me to hit the gym 2-3 times a week and been feeling loads better. Guess at 46 I need to start watching myself and not living like I am 25 still.


Contact Me about AMD Prices
Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: pittsburghracer] #2713045
11/05/19 03:38 PM
11/05/19 03:38 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 213
MA
BH27G1B Offline
enthusiast
BH27G1B  Offline
enthusiast

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 213
MA
I had stones when I was in my 20s and 30s. I ate a lot of cheeseburgers and chocolate shakes for lunch, and ice cream for dessert. I did pass them, but started drinking a lot of water afterwards, and stopped getting any stones . My father had a kidney removed because it was filled with them. A friend had one and hid Doctor told him to grab a 6 pack or two and go 4 wheeling. Now I eat dairy products, but also consume water right after. Also, my bones may be using more of the calcium in my later years.

Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: BH27G1B] #2713051
11/05/19 04:21 PM
11/05/19 04:21 PM
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 26
MI
D
Dynoguy Offline
member
Dynoguy  Offline
member
D

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 26
MI
I have had them before and had them laser them out, very simple go in to the hospital they give you anesthetic you go to sleep you wake up get dressed and go home and relax for the rest of the day, the first time you go to the bathroom though you will piss blood but remember it is like putting a drop of blood into a bowl of water.

Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: hotairballoonpilot] #2713061
11/05/19 04:52 PM
11/05/19 04:52 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,134
o
C
ChryCoGuy Offline
master
ChryCoGuy  Offline
master
C

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,134
o
Originally Posted by hotairballoonpilot
1 non ER trip followed by 2 ER trips in a year and my wife has REALLY changed my diet. Like others WATER WATER WATER/ I also did some apple cider vinegar. Something acidy to soften things up and dissolve the stones helped my 1st round. Our friend is an ER nurse and when it hit I was in lots of pain. Nikki gave us home remedies like the ACV and other things. Flushed it with about a gallon of water in an hours time. Things passed and subsided. Week or so later and holy heck it was twice as bad to point couldn't even keep water or solids down. ER trip with lots of tests. Meds and fluids pushed through me and a followed up 10K bill I was better. 6 months later I fell at my part time job. Dr visit the next day to show I had stress fractures in the ankle. Following day the same back pains hit but where way worse, Er trip again. same results but more pain meds and another 10K bill. Lets just say I listen to my wife and drink a lot of water during the day and have 95% cut out any pop. I don't drink or smoke so other than that been healthy. She convinced me to hit the gym 2-3 times a week and been feeling loads better. Guess at 46 I need to start watching myself and not living like I am 25 still.


OMG more 10K ER visits! Years ago I had some severe pains in my abdomen - they came out of nowhere, shaky, sweating... sat down for awhile and they went away after about 15 mins. Happened again a couple of years later, but not since - this was about 20 yrs ago. Never did go to the doctor for it but I assumed it must have been something like passing stones as it went away and never returned.

Been lucky so far, but man I hear you - got to clean up my act a little - less couch surfing and hit the gym. It's coming soon...

Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: ChryCoGuy] #2713088
11/05/19 05:22 PM
11/05/19 05:22 PM
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 25
Garage
N
NicBuc Offline
member
NicBuc  Offline
member
N

Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 25
Garage
That's why I drink lots of beer! Never had a ks. I heard drink apple cider vinegar too.

Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: NicBuc] #2713091
11/05/19 06:00 PM
11/05/19 06:00 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 15,286
So Near, Yet So Far
topside Offline
I Live Here
topside  Offline
I Live Here

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 15,286
So Near, Yet So Far
Have the urologist test you to see if you're calcium-absorptive.
If you are: no dairy, broccoli, greens, beans, chocolate, ice cream, nuts, tea, and you'll need to check the labels on everything you buy. Coffee's no problem.
6mm is one you'll definitely feel, if it can make its way through.
My deal was a solidly-stone left kidney; had no idea until one morning I peed blood.
Took 4 procedures and 20K out of pocket, and a good month's total of healing time, including a week or so of a pee-bag hooked to a tube in my back.
They can do a lot with ultrasound, which was a pretty easy deal; 1st procedure, went in with an access tube and fragmenting a large stone (vacuumed out through 2nd tube), was not fun.
After that it was ultrasound.
The corners inside the kidney may hold their stones forever; I have mine checked every year and no changes in the last 4 years.

Anyone not drinking at least a gallon of water a day, start doing that, stones or not.

Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: topside] #2713102
11/05/19 06:33 PM
11/05/19 06:33 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,639
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,639
Michigan
Just went through this AGAIN. Had one 23 years ago that I passed. This one was not going to come out. Spent a night in the hospital, they could not give me any pain medicine that really did much...I mean nothing. Mine was over 6mm per their CAT scan. They went up (as my buddy said...like driving an 18 wheeler up your who-ha, turning it around and driving it back out) but could not get it. They put a stint in and sent me home with meds for two weeks. Then back into the hospital for another 18-wheeler trip up and back down. When I left, they told me they had gotten it....but they left a stint in that I got the joy of extracting myself 3 days later.....NOT FUN.

I go back in next week for a review of what I need to do to avoid this again.


Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: oldjonny] #2713112
11/05/19 06:49 PM
11/05/19 06:49 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 15,286
So Near, Yet So Far
topside Offline
I Live Here
topside  Offline
I Live Here

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 15,286
So Near, Yet So Far
Yeah, I forgot about the stint rolleyes ...
The weirdest feeling though was the catheter extraction - not painful, but the strangest feeling ever - and unfortunately it wasn't the cute nurse that got that task laugh2
The rest of the tubes came out without much excitement.
But if anyone goes this route, leave the tubes in for more than 24 hours.
They initially pulled mine the morning after the 1st procedure, and trying to pee normally before things had healed was hands-down the worst pain I've ever experienced; took my breath away.

Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: topside] #2713117
11/05/19 07:10 PM
11/05/19 07:10 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,704
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline OP
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline OP
"Little"John

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,704
PA.
I probably really lucked out st the track last month from the sounds of things. That was the only hole I haven’t had violated till two years ago when I had a very bad urinary tract infection that I had to get and wear a cathither for awhile. The infection enlarged my prostrate so they had to go up my tool with a laser and zap it. Green light is the name of that procedure. It’s not easy getting old.


1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
6.143@110.85 mph
9.73@135.05 mph shifting at 6700 RPM
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time




Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: pittsburghracer] #2713123
11/05/19 07:36 PM
11/05/19 07:36 PM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,768
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline
master
DrCharles  Offline
master

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,768
West Plains, MO
I have had two, once in 2014 and once last April.

The first one was big (11 mm) and sat in the left kidney's collecting system for several years (at the time I had a $5k deductible and it would only hurt for a few days about three times a year). But one day it decided to try and make its way down the ureter. After seven hours of pain, I went to the ED despite my then-$3500 deductible. They lasered it from the inside and then I had a stent for two weeks, complete with external "tampon string". It felt like being kicked in the side every time I peed and the stent moved. Removing it was also really fun but fortunately brief. The urologist just said, take a deep breath, and pulled the string. Ow.

The second was even larger (13mm!) and that one also declared itself. But I now have good insurance and got lithotripsy ("shock-wave") treatment. And another $%^& stent, which this time didn't have an external string. So you know how THAT one was removed a week later... got the scope in his office to grab the end, THEN the pull. Ow again.

So I am really making an increased effort to keep drinking lots of water, and trying to avoid the foods on the list which are high in oxalates. Naturally it's most of what I like frown
Don't want to do this a third time...

Every woman I've asked who had childbirth and kidney stones agreed that the stones hurt worse! I believe them. shock

Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: DrCharles] #2713131
11/05/19 08:04 PM
11/05/19 08:04 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,606
Mobile Al
H
hemirdrnnr Offline
top fuel
hemirdrnnr  Offline
top fuel
H

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,606
Mobile Al
I have had about seven kidney stones the pain is a good sign it means the stone is moving, when they stop is when you can have trouble. I have had them pull the stone out of the tube between my kidney and bladder and also was put in a lithotripter lazer and had them busted up. The doctor dark liquids and some water has minerals that can cause them. It is the second worst pain I have ever had. Good luck. no When you see how tinny they are it is almost funny the pain they cause.

Last edited by hemirdrnnr; 11/05/19 08:06 PM.
Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: hemirdrnnr] #2713161
11/05/19 08:59 PM
11/05/19 08:59 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,883
SW Fla.
CYACOP Offline
master
CYACOP  Offline
master

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,883
SW Fla.
Quite often, I take a pain pill and ride it out. Extremely painful.

Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: DrCharles] #2713165
11/05/19 09:04 PM
11/05/19 09:04 PM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 1,643
Spudsville
Mr. Potatohead Offline
Half Baked
Mr. Potatohead  Offline
Half Baked

Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 1,643
Spudsville
The urologist just said, take a deep breath, and pulled the string. Ow.


OUCH! This came to mind.









Originally Posted by DrCharles
I have had two, once in 2014 and once last April.

The first one was big (11 mm) and sat in the left kidney's collecting system for several years (at the time I had a $5k deductible and it would only hurt for a few days about three times a year). But one day it decided to try and make its way down the ureter. After seven hours of pain, I went to the ED despite my then-$3500 deductible. They lasered it from the inside and then I had a stent for two weeks, complete with external "tampon string". It felt like being kicked in the side every time I peed and the stent moved. Removing it was also really fun but fortunately brief. The urologist just said, take a deep breath, and pulled the string. Ow.

The second was even larger (13mm!) and that one also declared itself. But I now have good insurance and got lithotripsy ("shock-wave") treatment. And another $%^& stent, which this time didn't have an external string. So you know how THAT one was removed a week later... got the scope in his office to grab the end, THEN the pull. Ow again.

So I am really making an increased effort to keep drinking lots of water, and trying to avoid the foods on the list which are high in oxalates. Naturally it's most of what I like frown
Don't want to do this a third time...

Every woman I've asked who had childbirth and kidney stones agreed that the stones hurt worse! I believe them. shock

th.jpg

My family is a bunch of Fruits and Vegetables and many cant tell us apart. EAT ME!
Re: Kidney stones anyone have them [Re: pittsburghracer] #2713178
11/05/19 09:29 PM
11/05/19 09:29 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 35,245
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Online content
I Win
Cab_Burge  Online Content
I Win
C

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 35,245
Bend,OR USA
Ask about drinking cherry juice with your Doctors, I can't remember if it is suppose to help or hurt confused
I've passed a 2 MM, stone no big deal, I had Kaiser Permente health insurance at that time and they wanted me to try and catch it when it came out and bring it back to them to have them it.analyze to find out what it was made up of.
We where out for dinner on a Friday night and I was in the men room using the urinal when I felt it start to come out and I saw it drain out into the urinal, needless to say I didn't try saving that one tsk grin
I may be having a relapse now, I hope not luck


Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Page 1 of 2 1 2




Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1