09/22/19 08:27 AM
09/22/19 08:27 AM
West Coast, USA
jbc426 Offline
master
jbc426  Offline
master

West Coast, USA
I made my own in-tank pump set-up from a replacement sending unit. Used some hardware from Iridium Engineering for the wiring bulkhead pass through, and I did have to silver solder in a larger return.

My in-tank pump feeds a surge tank with a second in-tank pump in it for my EFI. Surge tanks work really well with this type of set-up and yours. The fuel from the tank to the surge tank and back to the return to the tank circulates at near zero PSI, but with significant volume. It fills the surge tank with fuel and clears any bubbles formed in the lines when the pump gets uncovered from G-forces and low fuel levels.

You can feed a low pressure pump from you surge tank to a carb or upgrade to an EFI pump if you ever decide to go that route..

This set-up will provide 100% air free fuel down to the last few gallons in the tank even on a road course using a stock replacement tank. Works way better than most of the "baffled" fuel tanks available these days, especially when below half a tank.

Sending unit mod 3.jpgSending unit mod 2.jpgeng5 (Large).png
Last edited by jbc426; 09/22/19 08:33 AM.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)
Re: 69 charger in tank fuel pump ?? [Re: RobbMc] #2699811
09/22/19 11:51 AM
09/22/19 11:51 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline OP
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline OP
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
the problem with the robmac type tank, and similar types, is the mechanical pump is removed because that space is now occupied by an AC pump and a denso alternator.
my only choice is an electric pump, be it in tank, or inline. i'm leaning toward in tank for various reasons.
i just have to pick a pump that will work with little, or no tank modification.
beer

Re: 69 charger in tank fuel pump ?? [Re: jbc426] #2699821
09/22/19 12:00 PM
09/22/19 12:00 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline OP
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline OP
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by jbc426
I made my own in-tank pump set-up from a replacement sending unit. Used some hardware from Iridium Engineering for the wiring bulkhead pass through, and I did have to silver solder in a larger return.

My in-tank pump feeds a surge tank with a second in-tank pump in it for my EFI. Surge tanks work really well with this type of set-up and yours. The fuel from the tank to the surge tank and back to the return to the tank circulates at near zero PSI, but with significant volume. It fills the surge tank with fuel and clears any bubbles formed in the lines when the pump gets uncovered from G-forces and low fuel levels.

You can feed a low pressure pump from you surge tank to a carb or upgrade to an EFI pump if you ever decide to go that route..

This set-up will provide 100% air free fuel down to the last few gallons in the tank even on a road course using a stock replacement tank. Works way better than most of the "baffled" fuel tanks available these days, especially when below half a tank.

your setup [especially the in tank part] is what i was considering doing.
over the years, i have converted a few sending units to 3/8 and 1/2" pickups, plus return lines, so that's my current thought for the in tank pump.
however, i never thought about what you said about a surge tank providing "bubble free" fuel.
i'll have to reconsider this now.
Thank You [both] ! bow
beer

Page 2 of 2 1 2