09/16/19 11:12 PM
09/16/19 11:12 PM
N.E. Ohio
GomangoCuda Offline OP
master
GomangoCuda  Offline OP
master

N.E. Ohio
Bought a house in North East Tennessee and it appears that Xfinity may be my only choice for high speed internet and cable tv. Will I love it or hate it? I am using Spectrum now in Ohio. One difference that I see is Spectrum has no contract. Quit whenever you want. Not so with Xfinity. With Spectrum I have their DVR on our main tv And run the rest of our tvs with roku boxes and Spectrum app. Can I do this effectively with Xfinity or will I have to rent boxes for each tv? With Spectrum my coax cable ends at the modem. TVs and ROKUs all connect to the router with Ethernet or WiFi. Xfinity the same not so much?

Thanks

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: Xfinity - good or bad? [Re: GomangoCuda] #2698285
09/17/19 02:04 AM
09/17/19 02:04 AM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Xfinity gives you the 1st box/dvr depending on what package you pick.
I would assume your ruku would still work via the internet connection since it appears you you will be ordering TV & Internet I'd at least try it before renting a bunch of extra TV boxes from them. I have Xfinity TV & Internet... but don't use ANY of there equipment... I have my own cable modem & router (once upon a time I got a discount for that... but no longer) For TV I have a TIVO DVR(it sucked getting Comcast to provide a cable card... it took over a month... full of excuses) with several tivo mini's that connect to main tivo box via wifi... I can access most steaming services from all of them if I want too (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc... so Comcast/Xfinity does not block them.

It works most of the time... unless a tree falls on the line somewhere.
Note they no longer care if you buy a TV package from them... so they seldom deal on TV plans past the initial 2yr special offer. They make most of their money off the internet... they have to pay others in order to provide you with TV, so less profit in it. Also note they really push Triple plays... they want you to get TV/Phone/Internet together in a bundle. In fact when you log into your account and click on "Pick new plan" the only plan options available online are Triple Play... if you only want to change your TV or Internet you are forced to call.

Re: Xfinity - good or bad? [Re: Runner2go] #2698287
09/17/19 02:28 AM
09/17/19 02:28 AM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline
master
astjp2  Offline
master

Utah and Alaska
I pay 77 a month for internet from Rise broadband and I am too cheap for cable, OTA for me! I do netflix and Prime for movies and Youtube for stupid stuff to watch.

1941 Taylorcraft
1968 Charger
1994 Wrangler
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!
Re: Xfinity - good or bad? [Re: astjp2] #2698295
09/17/19 06:27 AM
09/17/19 06:27 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline
master
MI_Custumz  Offline
master

Port Huron, Michigan
We like it. It's more than ATT, but faster and unlimited internet if you have their tv as well. We rent their modem so if there are any speed issues, it's their stuff and not ours to blame. We also have their mobile phone service for a home phone backup. It's under $3 a month for unlimited talk/text but data is pay per gig. I blocked internet off it.

Re: Xfinity - good or bad? [Re: MI_Custumz] #2698322
09/17/19 08:57 AM
09/17/19 08:57 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
I pay $195/month for Xfinity cable/internet/home phone. It is a rip off, but can't find anything better in the Chtcagoland area and I have tried them all. frown

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Xfinity - good or bad? [Re: Rhinodart] #2698373
09/17/19 10:14 AM
09/17/19 10:14 AM
Perkiomenville PA
R
RWG75 Offline
mopar
RWG75  Offline
mopar
R

Perkiomenville PA
I've had comcast internet for a couple decades and really no complaints with it. The tech support on that side is (or was) actually pretty good. Turned out to be an outside wiring problem with their equipment but the happy factor is they didn't treat me like a clueless idiot.

Switched TV to DirecTv because the girl works for AT&T and we get it dirt cheap. Was really happy to dump the comcast clowns for that. It worked fine but the price went up every month and the customer service was horrible. Upgraded to an HD box and it kept doing something stupid but I don't recall what. Every time I called them to diag it they turned off my HD service. They also lost the box I returned with their return label and kept billing me for an extra box. Yes, when I called to argue about that, they turned off my HD service. I eventually dug up the tracking number and UPS provided proof of delivery and they still wouldn't take the damn box off my bill. They said they had to locate the box itself first. I remember wanting to crawl through the phone and slap them.

There is (or at least was) an issue between comcast cable boxes and Samsung UHD tvs. If you look at the reviews for the tvs there's several instances of complaints about picture but no audio after turning it on. When I got mine, I had that problem intermittently and mostly figured out a work around. Basically had to switch source inputs around until the sound from the comcast box started working. I know the issue was their stupid box because a) didn't have the problem with the inputs and b) problem totally went away when I dumped comcast. Probably more of a motorola issue but it was comcast that jerked me around over it.

Bottom line is their product works, their pricing and service is horrible. They also were in part responsible for net neutrality legislation when they got caught throttling back Netflix bandwidth.

75 Charger SE - 440/4, cop suspension
76 Daytona - survivor
76 Daytona - tweaked
77 PW - macho clone, sno-commander, frankenram
79 RC - this was your fathers 4x4
79 LRE - More fun than it looks
Re: Xfinity - good or bad? [Re: RWG75] #2698452
09/17/19 01:31 PM
09/17/19 01:31 PM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Originally Posted by RWG75
- - - -

Bottom line is their product works, their pricing and service is horrible. They also were in part responsible for net neutrality legislation when they got caught throttling back Netflix bandwidth.

Actually Netflix was the one that fought for Net Neutrality tooth and nail.
And ultimately it was determined that it was NETFLIX that was throttling it's own service, and BLAMING it on Comcast ATT & Verizon. But by then Congress didn't care, and netflix had already swayed public opinion that it was all the big bad ISP's fault.

Not a Comcast fan by any stretch (would switch if I had options), but they weren't effecting Netflix service.
Netflix did it to themselves on purpose to help push through NN.. and it worked.

And yes I agree... IF any issues pop up, dealing with Comcast on the phone is a nightmare.
The key to success, is a willingness to stay on the phone and keep escalating up the chain from body to body. 2-3hrs later, you will finally hit someone willing to take care of the issue just to get you to stop tying up employees time. A speaker phone will be your best friend... as there will be a lot of "hold time"... they want you to just give up.

Re: Xfinity - good or bad? [Re: RWG75] #2698460
09/17/19 01:50 PM
09/17/19 01:50 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Had a Spectrum phone/internet/TV package for years(originally Time Warner around here) Earlier this year the bill went up 2 months in a row.....both raises listed under extra charges(whatever that is) Nobody could explain it so I told them to pack sand. We kept the internet and dropped everything else.

I bought some Amazon Firesticks and joined Hulu+ Live. I get all the local stuff plus about 30 additional channels live and it includes 50 hrs of cloud storage. Then I have access to the whole Hulu library. We are also prime members so we have that plus Netflix. All told we save about $80/month and have all the TV one could ever watch.

We don't miss cable TV one bit.Wish I had done this sooner....could have saved a crap ton of money over all those years.

Re: Xfinity - good or bad? [Re: GomangoCuda] #2698495
09/17/19 03:40 PM
09/17/19 03:40 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
I love my Xfinity service but hate the cost. Over $300 a month for internet, phone and premium TV.

I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
Re: Xfinity - good or bad? [Re: Rhinodart] #2698720
09/18/19 12:39 PM
09/18/19 12:39 PM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
I pay $195/month for Xfinity cable/internet/home phone. It is a rip off, but can't find anything better in the Chtcagoland area and I have tried them all. frown

We bundled phone, internet and cable and are paying over $200/month for xFinity in Virginia. They are the only cable source in our area. I tried to drop the land line and cables and just get Internet from them but Comcast wanted $115/ month plus tax and fees just for the internet. By time we set up streaming TV it would not save any real money paying that much for Xfinity internet. We just bought a house in Florida and I went with Spectrum for Internet at an introductory fee of $49 including a land line (had to have the phone because we are renting the house out). I bought (2) Roku’s and went with YoutubeTV for another $55/month. It has 80 channels including all local TV channels, Golf channel, sports channels, HGTV, movies and reality shows. We also have Netflix and amazon Prime that we are able to access from both homes. It’s costing me almost half as much compared to dealing with Xfinity and we have all the TV we can use. You can record live TV on YoutubeTV with no additional hardware necessary. No cable box and no DVR box. It’s kind of nice to be able to access my local Florida channels on YoutubeTV from Virginia. I'm still looking for a way to drop Xfinity cable ASAP in Virginia. I am tired of being subject to that monopoly!

Re: Xfinity - good or bad? [Re: RoadRunnerJD] #2698870
09/19/19 07:39 AM
09/19/19 07:39 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
In many areas people are confined to one provider of true HIGH SPEED internet service. I have Spectrum internet only. Its not cheap at $70 per month but it always works and never buffers. I watch TV strictly thru Netflix HULU and a slew of free internet channels. Get my local news via TV antenna, online and old fashioned radio. Everything you watch currently can be had over the internet cheaper via a ROKU or Fire Stick plug in devices. Then there are no more TV boxes and 19 minutes of commercials per 60 minute show.

Keep old mopars alive.

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Moparts Newest Topics
"Head rest" with low back buckets?
by GY3. 10/16/19 10:32 PM
adding 4 speed pedals
by moparpro. 10/16/19 09:47 PM
73 b body brakes/ suspension on 68
by modelmakerinc. 10/16/19 08:58 PM
what would this do to your muscle car?
by 67DodgeCharger. 10/16/19 08:09 PM
Moparts Recent Posts
NEW BEST Mopars at the valley Junkyard 360 magnum
by Cab_Burge. 10/17/19 12:43 AM
TF270 accessories
by Cab_Burge. 10/17/19 12:37 AM
"Head rest" with low back buckets?
by Cab_Burge. 10/17/19 12:21 AM
62-65 b body auto trans mount dimensions???
by Cab_Burge. 10/17/19 12:09 AM