08/12/19 08:20 PM
Maryland
M
mrob Offline OP
mrob  Offline OP
M

Maryland
Hi,

I'm in the process of installing an Aeromotive Stealth tank in my Cuda (P/N 18143). Because the new tank has a high flow internal electric pump, I also need to install 3/8 inch supply/return lines for the bypass pressure regulator.

My question has to do with the routing of the supply/return lines. The stock lines have a lot of sharp bends, especially where they go around the passenger side leaf spring mount. That area seems to be the most difficult spot to route the lines around.

So instead of routing the lines on the outside of the frame rail and around the leaf spring mount, I thought about running the lines along the inside of the frame rail. The lines would be closer to the exhaust, but there would less sharp bends. If I keep the lines tucked up tight close to the floor, I would have around 3.75 inches of clearance between the muffler and the lines. If I wrap the lines in heat sleeve, would that be enough clearance? I'm hoping that someone might chime in with some insights.

See attached pic so that you can see what I'm talking about. I want to tuck the lines up close to where the frame rail is spot welded to the floor pan. The heat sleeve that I'm looking at is rated to 1200F, so I'm not worried about anything burning, just concerned about excessive heat for the lines possibly causing vapor lock.

Thanks

IMG_0194.JPG
Re: Cuda fuel line routing [Re: mrob] #2687034
08/12/19 08:29 PM
08/12/19 08:29 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
I've done that using heat sleeve, no problems. I've even run fuel hard-line with heat sleeve within a few inches of headers, didn't have a problem.

Re: Cuda fuel line routing [Re: topside] #2687153
08/13/19 08:27 AM
08/13/19 08:27 AM
Maryland
M
mrob Offline OP
mrob  Offline OP
M

Maryland
Thanks for the reply Topside! Think I'll try routing the lines with heat sleeves like I described.

Re: Cuda fuel line routing [Re: mrob] #2687195
08/13/19 11:08 AM
08/13/19 11:08 AM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
The clever bit is at the front, routing it from the rocker into the engine compartment; spend some time looking at how you want to do it.
Also the area where you go from inside the rear rail to the rocker, avoid the jacking point.
If you have subframe ties, that's all easier as a tie provides a more direct path.
Another thing to consider is securing the line so it's not flopping/flexing/drooping and is aesthetically pleasing.

Re: Cuda fuel line routing [Re: topside] #2687580
08/14/19 09:31 AM
08/14/19 09:31 AM
Maryland
M
mrob Offline OP
mrob  Offline OP
M

Maryland
Topside,

Thanks for your pointers, all valid. Here's how I'm thinking about routing my lines, please comment if you see something amiss.

Tank supply/feed line connections are on drivers side of tank (just like the OEM tank). Next, a section of 6AN PTFE hose to 3/8 inch Cunifer tube mounted on shock cross member. Tube makes a 90 deg. bend and runs along the inside of frame rail down to area near mufflers. Tube is wrapped in heat sleeve in that area and runs along inside of frame rail tucked up close to the floor. Tube continues along inside of sub-frame connector and then goes through it to the OEM fuel line cut-out in torsion bar cross member. From there it goes along inside of frame rail (just like OEM line did) and up to fuel pressure regulator mounted on inner fender. The section of tube from the firewall to about 18 inches from pressure regulator will be wrapped in heat sleeve because of the headers. The last 18 inches to the pressure regulator will be a 6AN PTFE hose.

You mentioned attaching the line: I bought a pack of 3/8 and 1/2 Adel clamps which I will use to attach the lines to solid points like the frame rails or the shock cross member.

I may need to make the Cunifer line in 2 sections joined by an AN flare union, but that's beside the point. My main concerns are: (a) keeping the lines protected from heat, (b) not having too many sharp bends in the lines (especially in the return line). The OEM lines are terrible in that respect - that area around the spring hanger and where the lines go from the shock cross member to the outside of the frame rail have some really tight bends.

Just curious - how did you route the lines on your car?

Re: Cuda fuel line routing [Re: mrob] #2688002
08/15/19 12:10 PM
08/15/19 12:10 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Well. there have been a few:
Followed factory path on one but using 1/2" hardline.
On another 1/2" deal, ran inside R/R rail along subframe tie and along inside R/F rail.
Racecar also 1/2" is inside R/R rail, rocker, along outside of R/F rail, through apron using bulkhead fitting.
Another was 3/8, factory routing.
All use aluminum hardline, well secured & sleeved, AN fittings & hose at vibration points (pumps).