Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: RoadRunnerLuva] #2685201
08/07/19 02:43 AM
08/07/19 02:43 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...

I'd be pissed! I'll take the damage, but i'd better be getting some goddamn venison out ov the deal... I used to carry a butcher knife and a tarp in my car for this very reason. Used to drive at night and see a LOT ov deer. Many near misses.

Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: Pale_Roader] #2685219
08/07/19 07:06 AM
08/07/19 07:06 AM
Buckeye Lake
56_Royal_Lancer Offline
My Mouth Is Shut II
56_Royal_Lancer  Offline
My Mouth Is Shut II

Buckeye Lake
My wife and I have hit at least 6 deer, I've totaled 2 brand new cars hitting deer. The scariest was when my wife and I were on my Yamaha FJ 1100 running about 85 when 2 deer ran out in the road. I stood on the brakes and swerved left, hitting one squarely in the butt. I hit it hard enuf to crack the fairing, bust off the scoop to the carbs, rip the turn signal stalk off the bike,,,and never went down! Sheer luck. Took a while to regain my composure along the side of the road after that one.

Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: MidPenMopar] #2685220
08/07/19 07:10 AM
08/07/19 07:10 AM

R
RWG75
Unregistered
RWG75
Unregistered
R

Originally Posted by MidPenMopar
How in the heck did it not see me is my question as it was 0900 hours and bright daylight. shruggy

They see you just fine - they just don't care.

Some years back I was going down a back road, one came out of the bush, I hit the brakes and changed lanes. I don't know why the dumb thing didn't slam my passenger door but maybe I startled it and it hit the brakes too. I hadn't completely stopped and it apparently really wanted to cross the road so it took off next to me and trying to cut in front. I punched it and got outta there. My regret is not hip checking it back in to the bush.

In this part of the world it's not the deer you see in the road that ya gotta watch out for - it's his buddy 20 feet behind and trying to catch up. Hit your brakes for the first one then wait for the other one to come flying blind across the road. That's how I hammered one with my RC a few years ago. 6 am, a mile from the house, dragging myself in to work, not entirely awake. One crosses, the other one is way in the field, next thing I know I sticking my grille guard in it's ear.

Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: ] #2685222
08/07/19 07:23 AM
08/07/19 07:23 AM
Keymar, MD
DusterKid Offline
top fuel
DusterKid  Offline
top fuel

Keymar, MD
Deer are very tough. As a hunter I've found many deer in close distance to the road dead. Sometimes even if they get up after being hit they will run off to bed down and will end up dyiyg than once their adrenaline slows back down.

Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: DusterKid] #2685255
08/07/19 09:50 AM
08/07/19 09:50 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
glad you didn't get into a "kick boxing" match with that deer stu ! eek it might have ended bad for you if it had ended up inside the cab !

my old man was champion when it came to hitting deer with cars. he bought a new chrysler one time, and took my youngest sister along to pick it up.
as we lived [in coder] only about 1 1/2 mile from the dealership on mainstreet, he picked it up just before supper.
on the way home, my sister suddenly yelled : "watch out !" WAM ! a deer ran across the road, and it's buddy was a little too late..........
got the headlights, then proceeded to get the front fender, both doors and the quarter panel. when the car was back to the dealer body shop, it had just a tick over four miles on it......
beer

Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: moparx] #2685263
08/07/19 10:10 AM
08/07/19 10:10 AM
my own world
theraif Offline
master
theraif  Offline
master

my own world
yellow stuff.........must have knock the snot out of it

could have been a moose

26834644-26834644.jpg
Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: theraif] #2685266
08/07/19 10:14 AM
08/07/19 10:14 AM
South San Francisco, Californi...
MidPenMopar Offline OP
Looking for fun? Keep looking
MidPenMopar  Offline OP

Originally Posted by theraif
yellow stuff.........must have knock the snot out of it

could have been a moose

Geeze did the owner of that car live??? shock

Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: MidPenMopar] #2685267
08/07/19 10:15 AM
08/07/19 10:15 AM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
On the Dallas to Green Bay Power Tour I was following a Chevy II through Iowa. A deer blasted out of the tree line and slammed into the Chevy's passenger side. The window was down so the deer's nose made it into the car before getting smacked by the quarter glass. Blood and deer snot exploded inside the car while the body flipped up and over the car. It barely cleared my left fender when it came down in the street.
The deer kicked a couple times and died on the yellow line.

Wisely, the driver of the Chevy topped the hill before stopping so his young kids wouldn't see Bambi's death throes. I stopped to check on them and everyone in the car was covered with ick as it was splattered all over the interior. That deer left a respectable crater in the quarter panel.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: TJP] #2685273
08/07/19 10:24 AM
08/07/19 10:24 AM
St. Louis, Mo
318 Stroker Offline
master
318 Stroker  Offline
master

St. Louis, Mo
Originally Posted by TJP
They don't look before crossing, LOL ( SORRY)
Glad you're OK
It's one of my paranoia's when test driving customers cars beer

If they would learn to read, and only cross the road at the "Deer Crossing" signs, much like a pedestrian crosswalk, we'd have a lot less collisions... rolleyes

Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: feets] #2685275
08/07/19 10:27 AM
08/07/19 10:27 AM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX

I remember this one being all over the internet when it first happened. If I remember correctly, the deer came from the road above. The driver somehow wasn't killed.

[Linked Image]

Link to more pics but WARNING a few are graphic! >> LINKY

runaway

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: 318 Stroker] #2685279
08/07/19 10:30 AM
08/07/19 10:30 AM
MidPenMopar Offline OP
MidPenMopar  Offline OP

Originally Posted by 318 Stroker
Originally Posted by TJP
Glad you're OK

If they would learn to read, and only cross the road at the "Deer Crossing" signs, much like a pedestrian crosswalk, we'd have a lot less collisions... rolleyes

I don't understand why cities don't put "Caution Deer Crossing" signs in areas away far from public roads and the general population? That way the deer can cross there and not in the middle of a highway. work

Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: SattyNoCar] #2685285
08/07/19 10:40 AM
08/07/19 10:40 AM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
My old boss was driving to work years ago and saw a deer in the middle of a bridge. As he got closer, the deer jumped over the edge. Thankfully the bridge was over a river, or it could have ended up like the above accident.

Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: burdar] #2685288
08/07/19 10:50 AM
08/07/19 10:50 AM
Buckeye Lake
56_Royal_Lancer Offline
My Mouth Is Shut II
56_Royal_Lancer  Offline
My Mouth Is Shut II

Buckeye Lake
Here's one of the two brand - new cars I totaled hitting deer. This is (was) my company car, the other was a press fleet Subaru Forester. They grow white tails big in this part of the world

venza hit.jpg
Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: burdar] #2685298
08/07/19 11:27 AM
08/07/19 11:27 AM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source
migsBIG  Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source

San Jose,CA
Glad your ok Stu. Worst deer accident I seen was about 10 years ago. Heading up from San Jose to Sacramento to a show and seen as SUV pulled over side of the road. As I passed, I seen a deer had gone through the pass side of the front windshield and was hanging out the rear window out the back. The dang thing went all the way through that vehicle! Luckily, a lot of people were stopped and didn't seem to been anything more than a random meat torpedo. Scary stuff. 4 times been involved in one way or another with deer hitting a vehicle, never good when it happens.

Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: 56_Royal_Lancer] #2685299
08/07/19 11:30 AM
08/07/19 11:30 AM
Northeast Indiana
73DAD Offline
enthusiast
73DAD  Offline
enthusiast

Northeast Indiana
If I don't see at least one G** D*** deer a week on my way to work its a F*****G christmas miracle!

The closest call was a couple years back in the wee hours of the morning. I was driving a beat to heck '73 Challenger up a rural road trying to beat the clock, when out of the corner of my eye, I see a stupid deer running full blast to cross the road in front of me. I swerved toward its butt end while slamming on the brakes, pitching the car into a slide at 60mph. Narrowly missing the deer, I furiously sawed back & forth on the wheel while working the brakes & gas and managed to keep the Dodge outta the ditches while keeping my underpants in a mostly un-sullied state. I hate deer.

Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: 73DAD] #2685352
08/07/19 01:48 PM
08/07/19 01:48 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
I told my wife the story of this post and she literally said holy $#!+, same as I said when I read it!

Glad nobody was hurt! good grief...right through the open window into your face...damn.....

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: ZIPPY] #2685709
08/08/19 01:49 PM
08/08/19 01:49 PM
South Dakota
hotairballoonpilot Offline
master
hotairballoonpilot  Offline
master

South Dakota
I have seen some interesting ones over the years. One was a 09 Toyota. Guy hit a big buck on interstate doing 80. Anything from bumper to windshield was gone. Tow truck driver asked him what he hit and he said that deer over in the ditch. Tow driver walked over and then says SH!T!!! Turned out he had been watching that buck as his tree stand was less than half mile north of the spot it got hit.

Another one was we did a 16 explorer for sheriffs department. Officer hit it in the left front corner. Only about $5k in damages. Finished it up on a tuesday. Came in on wednesday to find an explorer from the department that hit another deer on the right side that had been towed in. On my inspection I realized it was the same unit. He got 106 miles on it that night on patrol. This time is was double that original amount.

Another was was a Mitsubishi eclipse. Lady was driving on interstate bridge over the river abut 3 am going to work. Deer comes running towards her with nowhere to go. It tried jumping the car. Word is tried. It ended up catching the car at the roof.windshield area. Only one I have ever repaired that did not have to do front end work on. .

Contact Me about AMD Prices
Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: hotairballoonpilot] #2685712
08/08/19 02:10 PM
08/08/19 02:10 PM
P
Porter67 Offline
master
Porter67  Offline
master
P

Glad your ok, no deer hit is fun for anyone.

My last one was a 12 point buck at 65 mph, it was just sunrise and me and the wife were on a long drive to the Dr. and as I sat back and adjusted my seat, set the cruise, I said to here its gonna be a easy drive as long as a cow or big azz dear dont jump out. Well 5-6 seconds later there he was, big eyed buck. I swerved a bit as not to hit it head on and got him with the front driver fender and it took out the mirror and both doors. I first thought I just grazed him and so did the wife as it happened so quickly then I noticed the mirrow was gone and we we just 5 miles from home so we turned around and was shocked at how much damage there was.

The yellow stuff was indeed deer snot.

Here is a pic of some antler rash on the drivers front windshield piller as his nose and face slapped the windshield and also left a nice pattern of yellow snot.

Never did find the body and seen it about a month latter in the same field he was always in at that time of year.

d1.JPGd2.JPGd3.JPG
Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: 73DAD] #2735520
01/22/20 09:55 AM
01/22/20 09:55 AM
Northeast Indiana
73DAD Offline
enthusiast
73DAD  Offline
enthusiast

Northeast Indiana
Originally Posted by 73DAD
If I don't see at least one G** D*** deer a week on my way to work its a F*****G christmas miracle!

The closest call was a couple years back in the wee hours of the morning. I was driving a beat to heck '73 Challenger up a rural road trying to beat the clock, when out of the corner of my eye, I see a stupid deer running full blast to cross the road in front of me. I swerved toward its butt end while slamming on the brakes, pitching the car into a slide at 60mph. Narrowly missing the deer, I furiously sawed back & forth on the wheel while working the brakes & gas and managed to keep the Dodge outta the ditches while keeping my underpants in a mostly un-sullied state. I hate deer.

Dug this back up because, sure enough a couple weeks ago I had a deer strike... or rather, the deer hit me... two actually.

On my way to work, in the dark, going around a curve at 55mph. Since it was on a curve I had no time to stop, just react. I start driving into the curve & surprise! 5 effing deer standing in the middle of the road! I swerved & threaded the needle through the biggest gap in the group of them. Thankfully, I hit none head on, but TWO of those furry retards slammed into the right side of my Magnum, denting both doors. Incredibly, no windows broke & the mirror was fine. I hope I knocked their stupid teeth out so they starve to death. I hate deer.

Then this morning, I left my house & went on my merry way, up the gravel road to go to work. I pop up over a hill doing about 50 & see a familiar shape run across the road with a second one just getting ready to cross. I pitched the car into a slide to scrub off speed & missed the deer, wrangled the car back into control, & continued on to work. I think I need a new job where I work from home. I hate deer.

Re: I dont know what a deer is made out of but its tough!! [Re: MidPenMopar] #2735524
01/22/20 10:31 AM
01/22/20 10:31 AM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Originally Posted by MidPenMopar
Originally Posted by 318 Stroker
Originally Posted by TJP
Glad you're OK

I don't understand why cities don't put "Caution Deer Crossing" signs in areas away far from public roads and the general population? That way the deer can cross there and not in the middle of a highway. work

Yep,there are signs everywhere in my area in PA,I guess the deer just can't read !! shruggy Also,wasn't near as bad 60 yrs ago when we didn't have 70 mph speed limits and interstate roads everywhere .It took me 50 yrs to hit my first.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3