Danville, NH
M
Mopar_Mike Offline OP
master
Mopar_Mike  Offline OP
master
M

Danville, NH
I am sure this has been brought up, but I didn't see it. Been looking around on the web and get mixed reviews. Maybe because people are talking about all different vehicles? So, what's the thought on re-arching my
6 and 7 leaf springs? I have bought from springs and things on a project years ago and was happy with the results, but just want to get the current opinion. Thanks all..

RS23L7 4-Speed

Re: Re-Arch Leaf Springs or Buy New? [Re: Mopar_Mike] #2683539
08/01/19 09:42 PM
08/01/19 09:42 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Lots of guys here are happy with their re-arched springs.
Where I lived in the past, there was a spring shop who did a couple sets for me, inexpensive and worked fine.
Where I live now, there's 1 spring shop in a 100-mile radius, and he charges $400-$450 to re-arch a pair!
On top of that, they're arrogant and not particularly prompt.
So I buy 'em new from Summit or ESPO and usually pay under $300 to my door...

Re: Re-Arch Leaf Springs or Buy New? [Re: Mopar_Mike] #2683589
08/02/19 08:02 AM
08/02/19 08:02 AM
Minn
S
SportF Offline
pro stock
SportF  Offline
pro stock
S

Minn
The quality of old springs is about as good as it gets. If you have a shop press, you can do it yourself. Takes some time, but a great winter project. I think its even worth buying a cheap press and doing it yourself. Best of luck.

Re: Re-Arch Leaf Springs or Buy New? [Re: SportF] #2683624
08/02/19 10:25 AM
08/02/19 10:25 AM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
T

Niles , Ohio
Had the ones on my kids 62 300 done.They added 1 inch arch and 1 leaf.He drove it for like 15 years and was better than new.Still on the car after he sold it.Cost like 100 for both at local shop.Rocky

Last edited by therocks; 08/02/19 10:26 AM.

Chrysler Firepower
Re: Re-Arch Leaf Springs or Buy New? [Re: therocks] #2683645
08/02/19 11:14 AM
08/02/19 11:14 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
use 2 big C clamps aways away from the center bolt & take off the nut. supposedly the special rounded center bolt is easy to come by but they typically are rusted & the exposed bolt threads are dinged from road debris so I crack it with a nut cracker then remove it then undo the clamps evenly till I can seperate the leaves then take the main leaf in to be arched. First before undoing anything jack up the rear bumper with a bumper jack till the wheels look right in the wheelwells to your satisfaction & note how many inches of increase that is for the shop to add to your leaf.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Re-Arch Leaf Springs or Buy New? [Re: RapidRobert] #2683832
08/02/19 08:50 PM
08/02/19 08:50 PM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline
top fuel
volaredon  Offline
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
Ive had a leaf added at the spring shop to many of my past vehicles. new mgmt. came in and price skyrocketed. to a point that I can buy new from ESPO and a couple of other outfits but it used to work fine.
On my 78 Sport Fury I took the springs in and had them rearch them "only" and it was great for the remainder of that years "cruisin' season" but I think flatter than they originally were, now.This car has 54k original miles, it had about 8k less on it when I had them done.

I have seen on some of the Jeep forums where guys build their own "basta$d pack" to add height and strangely their most common "donor" set of leafs is 87-96 Dakota or another "like" Jeep to what they are working on. What this is, is a mixture of leaves from the original application (have to use original main leaf from "your" application) and mix/ match leaves from the 2 sets to get what you want. and usually wind up with 1-2 leaves more than stock.

I have bought the "add a leaves" before, and they aren't as "application specific: as theyd like you to believe, width of leaves is most important. I used a pair listed in their guide as being for some Ford, when I did my 94 Dakota 6-7 years ago, did myself in the days before I had my own 2 post lift.

Strange this comes up as I just did what we are talking about on the back of my 96 318 Club cab 4wd Dakota last Sunday. had 3 leaves plus the super thick bottom one, was sitting a bit low in back... my donor spring pack was a 70s up to 93 D/W series truck. My son had stripped a Cummins truck (hed gotten it engine-less) and sold much of it in pieces, but one of the reasons that he got the truck carcass in the 1st place was for its nearly new rear springs..... the PO had recently had them replaced. Problem was my kid drives a flatbed, and though ol' Dad told him to strap them down, he didn't.... and lost 1 of those new springs.... so he bought another new set for his '90 from (I think it was) ESPO. I kept the 1 remaining new spring around, and about 3 months ago I stopped by the spring shop and got new U bolts, new spring clamps, and new center bolts wanting to do this "eventually".... well "eventually" came Sunday.
It didn't take long and was MUCH easier on a lift with a screw strand than with 2 sets of jack stands, and a floor jack rolling around on concrete....
Right under the main leaf this particular spring pack had 2 leaves the same length. and were nearly perfect length to go spring eye to spring eye on the Dakota, and the center hole was pretty well spaced too. I did like the spring shop used to do when I had them do it, added 1 leaf to each side right under the main leaf, almost as long as it as well... these spring leaves came right up to the edge of the front eye and a couple inches short at the back.
I only had 1 problem. on the driver side (1st side I did this to) I stripped out my new center bolt, so I used the one intended for the other side. I used a grade 5, 3/8-fine thread bolt on the other side (its what I had) and strangely it fit the hole in the rear end perch better without grinding the points of the hex off like I thought I might have to do.

I wish I'd had some gr 8 bolts on hand but... 1) at the time I HAD to get this thing done for work on Monday and 2) the whole "working on it on a Sunday" thing went against me on finding fine thread grade 8s at the time. But I must say that as easily as the new center bolt that I had gotten from the spring shop stripped upon reassembly, I doubt it was a grade "anything".

You can cut down the main leaf to whatever length you need if youre gonna do this, not too bad in a metal cutting chop saw/ but if you think youre gonna drill this stuff forget about it. I ruined several bits trying to enlarge the holes in the ends of the leaf that had holes, for the new snap-in spring pads they gave me.... and more trying to drill the holes where they didn't exist, to install spring pads on the leaf for the other side. so I said "forget it". the truck has 211k on it already and at 70 miles/day, I don't think I will have it more than another year or so because the miles are piling on so fast.
So far big improvement in ride, will know for sure when I pull my camper 7 hours away next week. just a popup, but with all my gear and tools I take with me in the bed of the truck will be the real test. It does ride a bit stiffer. "but its a truck" now to do the same thing to the Fury. I see in various listings that those cars came with either 4, 5 or 6 leaves depends on how it was optioned. Mine only has 4.
The hardware for this job is all over Ebay and quite cheap. just takes a couple hours.

Re: Re-Arch Leaf Springs or Buy New? [Re: Mopar_Mike] #2684515
08/05/19 12:33 AM
08/05/19 12:33 AM
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Magnum Offline
master
Magnum  Offline
master

Hamilton, Ontario Canada
If you need to get the height up or down or difference left to right or anything dialed in. I see no other way. Arch or dearch until it's at the proper height.
As for suggestions to add leafs. Only if you want to increase spring rate. An extra spring should never be added to increase spring height.

69 Super Bee, 93 Mustang LX, 04 Allure Super