07/21/19 06:27 PM
07/21/19 06:27 PM
near Kansas City
igozumn Offline OP
super stock
igozumn  Offline OP
super stock

near Kansas City
So, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a TKO 600 setup, probably from Silver Sport Transmission. Their initial bid/quote included a basic organic replacement 11" disc to fit the Tremec. I've had an 11" Centerforce Dual Friction in the car (69 Charger) for 15+ years that I've been pretty happy with. I don't race the car, just a street machine. My current flywheel is a resurfaced original from Brewers that I put in along with the clutch way back when. I'd thought I would just replace everything, including the bellhousing if I was swapping transmissions. So, I have a couple questions on clutches and mechanical vs. hydraulic.

Since the flywheel would need resurfacing to go along with the new disc, the pressure plate should be replaced too. And I would just get a new flywheel, so it's all new stuff.

Should I stick with the Centerforce Dual Friction line of product, or is there something else that is better, or go with stock/organic, or ????

The initial quote/bid is to go with stock mechanical, but there is a hydraulic option. I do like the idea of the hydraulic operation pushing the throwout bearing straight out, vs the lever action of the stock fork.

Anybody running either the stock fork/pivot or the hydraulic?

Oh, should I go ahead and spring for the carbon syncros? Again, not a race car. Shifting rarely hit's 6,000, but wondering if that isn't something that I should just invest in.

Car is currently running 3.91 with N50 27-28"tall tires. I'm thinking I want the .64 overdrive for quiet-er freeway hustle-ing.

Just kind of asking for general feedback. Free shipping until the end of the month, but not in any real hurry either.

Last edited by igozumn; 07/21/19 06:30 PM.
Re: New TKO 600 install clutch questions [Re: igozumn] #2679920
07/21/19 10:59 PM
07/21/19 10:59 PM
Edmonton , Alberta
S
swingin Offline
swingin  Offline
S

Edmonton , Alberta
So I installed a TKO600 in my Dart, with the .64 OD. I love it, 80 mph at 2300 RPM. No trick synchros or anything, it shifts fantastic, right to 6000 RPM. I say throw the mechanical clutch in the trees and install a hydraulic unit. No more squeaky, rattling clutch linkage, and lots more real estate for headers. The worst part was cutting the floorpan open, it's an original 4 spd car....but that passed quickly when I drove it for the first time with the Tremec.
Just my opinion.

Re: New TKO 600 install clutch questions [Re: igozumn] #2679995
07/22/19 08:33 AM
07/22/19 08:33 AM
Oregon
E
earlymopar Offline
pro stock
earlymopar  Offline
pro stock
E

Oregon
I can't say enough about Liberty's Gears in Michigan who I purchased my TKO-600 from. Take a look at their website and you'll see they're one of the leaders in this industry. I used the mechanical fork and then designed and fab'd my own external slave cylinder mount. I would never go with an internal slave. Also for a bell housing most guys seem to go with a Quick-Time unit but their costs are ridiculous. With a little research I found that Modern Driveline makes their own cast aluminum bell housing that accepts all of the Mopar OEM pieces (inspection cover, clutch pivot, fork, boot, etc.) and it's a whole lot less that the Quick Time unit.

For the clutch, I used SPEC and an very happy with their product and service. I initially had my set-up done for a T-5 and then decided to change to a TKO-600. That required me to return my clutch disc to SPEC and have them re-spline the disc. Great people to work with.

I went with the following in my TKO and found their costs to be better than most:

Upgraded – Synchronized TK0-600: http://libertysgears.com/

• Bronze Shift Fork Pads
• Surface Enhancement Processed Hubs & Sliders
• Internal Shift Linkage Upgrade
• Liberty’s Exclusive Threaded Front Cluster Bearing Support
• Carbon Fiber Blocking Rings—2nd, 3rd & 4th Gear

This is in my 65 Dodge SWB D100, 3.91 rear end ratio, 30.7" tall tires.

- EM

Re: New TKO 600 install clutch questions [Re: earlymopar] #2680129
07/22/19 03:00 PM
07/22/19 03:00 PM
near Kansas City
igozumn Offline OP
super stock
igozumn  Offline OP
super stock

near Kansas City
Going to try and call Silver Sport this week, but have been absolutely buried at work. I stumbled upon their clutch listings and it appears they have a dual friction clutch available. Want to ask them about the clutch options and the carbon upgrades.

I was going to get a new fork and fork pivot, since all my current stuff is pieced together from who knows what and I actually made the pivot I've been running for the last 25 years, LOL. Once I started adding additional parts, I thought I should just give consideration to the hydraulic setup. I don't have headers installed, but have them at the ready whenever I get around to buying new heads. Not having to mess around with the mechanical linkage (and body flex/driveline movent issues) would be cured with the hydraulic setup also.

I'm betting the stock style aluminum bellhousing they have is the same one everyone else has. I.e. Brewers, American Powertrain, etc.

Now, having been in the Ford parts business for 20 years, I'm hip to the difficulty in replacing the slave when it's wrapped around the input shaft. And, the rare instances in which it needs to be replaced. The common vehicles that seem to have the issues are the Super Duty trucks, and those use the external slave where you can replace everything in the parking lot in 10 minutes. So, not too worried about the longevity of the unit or units from American Powertrain or Silver Sport. But earlymopar,you are correct. Something to keep in mind.

I had run across Liberty, when in all my research, I kept coming across "faceplating" the transmission. Not sure I need to go that heavy into it. I think Silver Sport has modded the outside of the cases to fit better under the car, compared to other companies. That's part of the reason I'm thinking of going with them. I think a stock tremec, or one with the carbon syncro blockers would be enough for what I'm wanting to do. I suppose I can always pull it and have the faceplating stuff done, if I run into issues.

Last edited by igozumn; 07/22/19 03:26 PM.
Re: New TKO 600 install clutch questions [Re: igozumn] #2682178
07/28/19 11:21 PM
07/28/19 11:21 PM
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Magnum Offline
master
Magnum  Offline
master

Hamilton, Ontario Canada
From your post I read you will not be racing the car. Then upgrading synchros will not be necessary. At this point you are soley in it for the ratios.

Mechanical vs hydraulic.A hydraulic line beats 2 rods, a Z bar and 2 pivots any day and it's immune to a transmission moving around and can be routed anywhere. An internal slave failure? This is a valid concern but so many cars have their original internal slave in the junkyard as the rest of the car fails around it.

Sounds like clutch feel is important to you. In that case Centerforce. It is the lightest pressure plate on the market but the weights take up real estate where the hydraulic throw out bearing wants to be. I just installed a hydraulic release behind a T56 Magnum 6 speed with a Centerforce clutch. McLead recommended to remove the weights for clearance. I mocked it up, looked like it would clear but chickened out and removed them.

Last edited by Magnum; 07/28/19 11:21 PM.

69 Super Bee, 93 Mustang LX, 04 Allure Super
Re: New TKO 600 install clutch questions [Re: Magnum] #2684969
08/06/19 01:32 PM
08/06/19 01:32 PM
near Kansas City
igozumn Offline OP
super stock
igozumn  Offline OP
super stock

near Kansas City
So, here's an update.

Ordered last Wednesday.
Shipped Friday.
Arrived today (Tuesday).

.64 5th
carbon synchro upgrade (did it for more for longevity, than high rpm shifting in my case)
hydraulic clutch
Their version of the dual friction.

So far, I'm impressed. Service is awesome. Just need the time to start getting in the car. Will post an update.

Thanks!

Last edited by igozumn; 08/06/19 01:33 PM.