master
ChryCoGuy  Offline
master
C

Canada
Originally Posted by Diego (not Ted)
Originally Posted by ChryCoGuy
[ Truthfully, though, these cars were always designed for the younger segment

The Corvette played it safe for so long because that's what its base demanded. But now they're not guiding the model ("brand" may be a better word) into the future, which is why we got edgy Transformers-like styling with the latest generation.

As I see it, the companies that really played it safe, and there are a lot of them, are the ones that dropped their 2-seat sports cars when the market demand dropped.

GM kept it going, even when sales weren't the greatest, and continued to advance the technology in each new generation. As mentioned, the Corvette has remained quite competitive with the higher priced brands over the years.

The switch to a mid-engine layout will surely get them props from the supercar crowd, and it should net them a performance increase, and perhaps it will get attention and respect from the younger crowd (who won't be able to afford them), we'll see. Or, they will just say that it's a junky GM with a mid engine, not as prestigious as one of those with a European moniker...

I still think there is a certain charm to the roadster layout that will be considered a loss once its configuration is changed. But it is what it is.

Just my opinion, of course. smile

Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: Pale_Roader] #2678350
07/17/19 03:50 PM
07/17/19 03:50 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Originally Posted by Pale_Roader

I think the C7 vettes are the best looking Vettes since the 69, but i dont like how they jumped 300lbs in weight. I'm sure they work great, but i'll still take the older one.

I'm just the opposite. The C7 is a styling disaster. Every piece of the car is fighting for your eye. It's a cobbled together pile of lookit me and does not flow organically. Those droopy tail light fake vents bring visions of Alice Cooper's mascara running down his face. The chassis is unable to put down power like the previous generation. Had they made the mechanical improvements to the C6 the car would be a much better performer.

For the Corvette's sake I hope they calm down on the visual harassment and that is doesn't turn out to be another Fiero.

Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: feets] #2678362
07/17/19 04:37 PM
07/17/19 04:37 PM
Charlotte, NC
Orange_Crush Offline
Belieber!
Orange_Crush  Offline
Belieber!

Charlotte, NC

Originally Posted by feets

I think the C7 vettes are the best looking Vettes since the 69, but i dont like how they jumped 300lbs in weight. I'm sure they work great, but i'll still take the older one.

I'm just the opposite. The C7 is a styling disaster. Every piece of the car is fighting for your eye. It's a cobbled together pile of lookit me and does not flow organically. Those droopy tail light fake vents bring visions of Alice Cooper's mascara running down his face. The chassis is unable to put down power like the previous generation. Had they made the mechanical improvements to the C6 the car would be a much better performer.

For the Corvette's sake I hope they calm down on the visual harassment and that is doesn't turn out to be another Fiero.

I used to think that about the C7, but while getting my C5 serviced shortly after I got it, I spent a lot of time looking at and sitting in a C7 Grand Sport at the dealership and I changed my mind.

I think my biggest problem with the C7 was all of the black body pieces on the car. I had always seen it in red, yellow, or white and it always looked cobbled together. In a dark color like black, blue, or that beautiful dark green, those pieces integrate a lot better and the car's lines really stand out. Charger727's is a perfect example.

The The wider fenders, quarters, and tires of the GS help a lot in that regard as well. Regarding the taillights, well, they don't get a whole lot of love in the Corvette world either. Personally, I like 'em...but most of those dudes are old hardcore traditionalists who think the lights should be round. In the end, these things are subjective.

With regard to the issues with putting power down, I think the fact that they are going mid engined has a lot to do with that.

GM has always liked to tout the perfect 50/50 weight distribution of the C5-7 Vettes, but in reality, that's not really optimal on a track. You actually want to have a rear weight bias of 55-60%. This helps you to get the power down more effectively and keeps you from swapping ends as readily.

The light rear end was not an issue when Corvettes put out 350-420 horsepower, but now that the base Vette puts out 465 horsepower and it climbs all the way up to 750 in the ZR1, that light rear really starts to make its presence known. They are not cars that forgive an inexperienced driver, and why there is a track mode in the active handling (which, by the way, works extremely well).

It also will help solve another Corvette issue, and that is the heavy steering. They have improved it a lot, but until that engine is moved to the back, it'll always be there.

1970 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi Orange U-code 4-speed
1971 Jaguar E-Type Series 3 V-12 4-speed 2+2 Signal Red.
Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: DaveRS23] #2678852
07/18/19 08:33 PM
07/18/19 08:33 PM
Charlotte, NC
Orange_Crush Offline
Belieber!
Orange_Crush  Offline
Belieber!

Charlotte, NC
Here it is folks...Esquire got confused about time zones and posted the pics early...they took them down almost immediately, but someone got 'em.

img_0817_ff2efd9982fee9c1bd7be11536dfd1dfc6266306.pngimg_0818_9b19ae51d67fb203e95141c0372efbe838515b38.pngimg_0816_6343b8778dc1a3d606cc107db866833ce846b543.png

1970 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi Orange U-code 4-speed
1971 Jaguar E-Type Series 3 V-12 4-speed 2+2 Signal Red.
Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: Orange_Crush] #2678903
07/18/19 10:44 PM
07/18/19 10:44 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
Satilite73 Offline
I Live Here
Satilite73  Offline
I Live Here

John

Imagine a '73 Satellite Wagon picture here. 😁
Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: ChryCoGuy] #2678915
07/18/19 11:49 PM
07/18/19 11:49 PM
Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Diego (not Ted) Offline
Too Many Posts
Diego (not Ted)  Offline
Too Many Posts

Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Originally Posted by ChryCoGuy

As I see it, the companies that really played it safe, and there are a lot of them, are the ones that dropped their 2-seat sports cars when the market demand dropped.

Manufacturers can't predict a downed economy. Chevrolet designed the Corvette brand for years based on what Boomer men told them. That's why it continues to be inspired by the 1968 Sting Ray. The mold was not broken till the C7.

Granted, the C7 still shares that inspiration, but it got a dose of Camaro styling in the process cuz the younger set likes that.

To wit:

As development progresses toward the new model in 2013, GM is trying to refashion Corvette for a younger buyer.

GM’s internal studies show that buyers under 40 don’t aspire to drive a Corvette as do baby boomers, who tend to view the car as a reward after children are grown, according to a person familiar with the results.To reach different buyers, Chevrolet marketers have been talking to Porsche-owner clubs about the car...

https://www.staugustine.com/news/business/2011-10-15/aging-corvette-gets-cues-ferrari

For the C7 Corvette to break out and sell to a younger generation, GM needs to refashion the Corvette to make it more appealable to younger buyers.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/201...-a-much-bolder-and-more-dramatic-design/

Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: DaveRS23] #2678936
07/19/19 03:47 AM
07/19/19 03:47 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Originally Posted by DaveRS23

The Hellcats, Redeyes, and Demons may weight more than 2 tons, but they can run in the 10s with the A/C on. And you don't think that is cool? That's a peculiar thing to say, particularly on a Mopar site.

So many people gush over the Vettes and the European sports cars whose track claim to fame is out of the reach and abilities of nearly all of their owners. How many Vette or Porsche owners ever actually use their car to it's real potential? They either don't have a track or don't have the talent to really use the car's potential.

For all it's imperfections, most Hellcat owners can access a drag strip and actually use the car for what it was built for. The car may not set any records in the hands of the Average Joe, but Joe can be competitive and enjoy a true hi performance car to it's full potential as it was designed.

I just don't understand buying a Vette or a Ferarri or anything like that kind of track inspired car to only commute to work or to car shows and never put it on a track. But, to each his own.

And the reason your choice Vette can be had for $10k or so is because not many other people want them. More demand would of course drive the price up. I sincerely hope that you find, buy, and enjoy your 'bargain'.

Not everyone is a drag racer. Street racing was fun as hell, most fun i ever had, but no one has the balls (here at least) to do it anymore. Being the only car down on the boondock straights at night gets old. The track? Yeah... thats about as fun as being at the dentist. Thats MY opinion. But spending a small fortune to go race against some goof in a minvan or clapped out Civic, being told what to do at EVERY TURN, and getting 5 runs in is pointless to me. I'm not a drag racer, and ripping around town doing burnouts and getting on the throttle for 2 seconds at a time (all i see Hellcat guys doing where i live), again, pointless to me. I live in the canyon, and i dont care what's done to it... a two ton car is going to get turned around sooner or later. Its pure physics. Further, for an ascetic that can roll down his own windows, waste is against my religion. There is NO NEED for a 2 ton car. I dont need a heater shifter knob and a car that drives itself. So no... i dont think thats amazing. Cool? sure. Cool enough to spend money? Nope.

To be fair, that Vette runs for around 18-23K used. But i have a gift for finding them FAR cheaper. And you're right in a way, not a lot ov other people want them, but i'd wager thats more because they are a truly single-purpose 2-seater low, flat, utterly impractical sports car. Even a Challenger or Mustang with its crampy rear seats and small trunk is a CAR. You can put people in it, kids in it, you can drive it in the snow and you can take it on trips. A Corvette... well, you still can, but man... you really gotta want to. I'm one ov those few weirdos that wants to. To me performance is EVERYTHING. I loathe compromise. About the only thing the Vette compromises i think is looks. I'm not terribly attracted to it, but its still not ugly.

And here's another thing that wont receive well here, on a muscle car site. I'm on a budget. And while i realize that the Mopar way is 'Poor people dont get to play', but you know, [censored] that. Gas mileage IS important. In a Corvette i can have that too. Buy a Hellcat, and you've got to be rich to just drive the thing... even if the car was free.

As for 'my bargain'... i've given up. 6 years ov new cars has utterly soured me. I bought a 1968 project car... THE smallest, simplest thing i could find. I'm jamming a small V8 and a stick in it and the thing's gonna have like 7 moving parts. Yeah, i'll have to wait for the Coyote swap and 6-speed for my 500HP 30mpg, but for now? Simple, fun, cool. The ONLY reason i started driving new cars 6 years ago was to raise my standards for what i need out ov a car. Its back to old-school, and staying there.

Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: Orange_Crush] #2678938
07/19/19 03:51 AM
07/19/19 03:51 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Originally Posted by Orange_Crush
Here it is folks...Esquire got confused about time zones and posted the pics early...they took them down almost immediately, but someone got 'em.

Yeeeaaaahhh... I dont like it. My Corvette needs to be front engine rear-wheel drive. That was half the cool ov it...this American brute machine, taking on the Euro exotics with an old platform and a pushrod V8. This things just looks like another Euro exotic now... Lost... in the mix.

Oh well... it'll make the older ones cheaper. Someday...

Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: DaveRS23] #2678953
07/19/19 06:43 AM
07/19/19 06:43 AM
Fort Worth, Texas
3hundred Offline
master
3hundred  Offline
master

Fort Worth, Texas
I really hadn't paid too much attention to this until last night when my Corvette buddy sent me the intro video. This morning this Corvette article linky showed up in my feed. As I looked at the pics I was thinking this thing isn't big enough to have this much going on, was thinking it's too busy. Then about a 1/3 of the way through the article the author started using the word busy. I really liked the '68 design, very clean even it wasn't aerodynamic like it looked. Clean design seems to be lost? Does every production car have to be based on how good a track car it is?

So anyway, suddenly it's 1975 and the mid engine 'Vette is here.

Robert

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'93 Ramcharger 5.7 Hemi
'93 Ramcharger 318 sold
'01 3500 4x4 Cummins 6 speed
'13 300 S sold
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: 3hundred] #2678958
07/19/19 07:16 AM
07/19/19 07:16 AM
Middlesex County, New Jersey
DirectSubjection Offline
Tacohead. The First and Only
DirectSubjection  Offline
Tacohead. The First and Only

Middlesex County, New Jersey
I'll have to see it in person, but so far I say I dig it. never liked all the black parts stuck everywhere on the last model, took a dark color to make them blend in.

screen-shot-2019-07-18-at-11-58-40-pm-1563508773.png
Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: DirectSubjection] #2678966
07/19/19 08:00 AM
07/19/19 08:00 AM
East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
RoadRunner Offline
master
RoadRunner  Offline
master

East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
Originally Posted by DirectSubjection
I'll have to see it in person, but so far I say I dig it. never liked all the black parts stuck everywhere on the last model, took a dark color to make them blend in.

I am not a fan of the black accent pieces on the red body at the unveiling. Sort of like painting the hood scoop inserts black on a 70 Challenger R/T hood. Just looks busy. I think a black car with those black accents may actually look decent. I'd like to see one in person. As I get older I am thinking of going in a different direction with fun cars. This maybe something to consider. I will always have a Mopar Project, its my therapy.

68 Road Runner (383/4speed, post car w/decor pkg)
69 Road Runner w/472 Hemi & 4 speed.
70 Challenger R/T SE EF8 w/ V9J, U - A32 - Major Project
Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: RoadRunner] #2678969
07/19/19 08:28 AM
07/19/19 08:28 AM
Indiana
EV2DEMON Offline
The Camaro Kid
EV2DEMON  Offline
The Camaro Kid

Indiana

I am not a fan of the black accent pieces on the red body at the unveiling. Sort of like painting the hood scoop inserts black on a 70 Challenger R/T hood. Just looks busy. I think a black car with those black accents may actually look decent. I'd like to see one in person. As I get older I am thinking of going in a different direction with fun cars. This maybe something to consider. I will always have a Mopar Project, its my therapy.

I agree, but the online configurator let's you select the accents in body color. Makes a big difference.

I like the car, even if the styling is a bit derivative.Technically, it's about what I expected, but I can't believe the price point. I'll be interested to see if they offer a Grand Sport/Z07 equivalent with the N/A 6.2. That would be a wicked weekend track car.

Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: EV2DEMON] #2678981
07/19/19 09:03 AM
07/19/19 09:03 AM
Farmington, CT
KISSAlien Offline
I Live Here
KISSAlien  Offline
I Live Here

Farmington, CT
Originally Posted by EV2DEMON

I agree, but the online configurator let's you select the accents in body color. Makes a big difference.

I like the car, even if the styling is a bit derivative.Technically, it's about what I expected, but I can't believe the price point. I'll be interested to see if they offer a Grand Sport/Z07 equivalent with the N/A 6.2. That would be a wicked weekend track car.

Yeah I saw that. Could make it much better. Of the 3 cars I actually liked the white one best. I think the side view looks good. I haven't really studied it, but there are angles that make the front look too wide. Not sure why yet. The rear is just awful. Could they throw more lines back there?

But yeah starting under 60K is great.

2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-28.jpg
Last edited by KISSAlien; 07/19/19 09:11 AM.
Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: KISSAlien] #2678999
07/19/19 09:44 AM
07/19/19 09:44 AM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
super stock
John Brown  Offline
super stock

South Bend
The white one looked best to me too. That dash and the console with all the buttons and switches sure screws with the interior, and have to be a hell of a distraction when driving. I'd have to turn off all the right side dash panel crap or cover it with black tape to be able to drive it. hammer

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: John Brown] #2679004
07/19/19 09:52 AM
07/19/19 09:52 AM
Satilite73 Offline
I Live Here
Satilite73  Offline
I Live Here

My question is, how much of a nightmare is it gonna be to work on the engine, even just routine maintenance? shruggy sawzall

[Linked Image]

John

Imagine a '73 Satellite Wagon picture here. 😁
Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: Satilite73] #2679038
07/19/19 11:12 AM
07/19/19 11:12 AM
East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
RoadRunner Offline
master
RoadRunner  Offline
master

East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
Originally Posted by Satilite73

My question is, how much of a nightmare is it gonna be to work on the engine, even just routine maintenance? shruggy sawzall

[Linked Image]

I'll have to go over to online configuration tool and check it out as I like that green.

According to a source, there was only a $1500 incremental for dealers tools. So the number of special tools is probably not much different current car. The key is how hard are oil changes, accessory belt changes, plug access, etc. Oil changes on a Lamborghini Gallardo are horrendous because they put the oil cartridge under the intake manifold. First oil change I did I would be machining an adapter plate for remote filter location. The dual clutch set ups on the exotic cars are problematic and often require replacement after 30,000 miles. That wouldn't be acceptable to a Corvette owner. So hopefully GM has figured out how to get some reliability out of that system.

68 Road Runner (383/4speed, post car w/decor pkg)
69 Road Runner w/472 Hemi & 4 speed.
70 Challenger R/T SE EF8 w/ V9J, U - A32 - Major Project
Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: RoadRunner] #2679051
07/19/19 11:32 AM
07/19/19 11:32 AM
Farmington, CT
KISSAlien Offline
I Live Here
KISSAlien  Offline
I Live Here

Farmington, CT
Originally Posted by RoadRunner
I'll have to go over to online configuration tool and check it out as I like that green.

It's actually Bronze

Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: DirectSubjection] #2679096
07/19/19 01:37 PM
07/19/19 01:37 PM
Farmington, CT
KISSAlien Offline
I Live Here
KISSAlien  Offline
I Live Here

Farmington, CT
Originally Posted by DirectSubjection

In case it's not readily apparent to everybody that's the convertible versions.

Screen-Shot-2019-07-19-at-10.01.08-AM.jpgScreen-Shot-2019-07-19-at-9.27.37-AM.jpgScreen-Shot-2019-07-19-at-9.27.50-AM.jpg
Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: Satilite73] #2679098
07/19/19 01:42 PM
07/19/19 01:42 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Originally Posted by Satilite73

[Linked Image]

Uh...simple answer. Its a GM. Of course it will be a service nightmare. I work for a company that builds test equipment. If only people could see to what level GM really tests engines and what gets passed through.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: New Corvette delayed again.............. [Re: Pale_Roader] #2679100
07/19/19 01:53 PM
07/19/19 01:53 PM
N.W. Florida
F
Fat_Mike Offline
super stock
Fat_Mike  Offline
super stock
F

N.W. Florida
Originally Posted by Orange_Crush

Yeeeaaaahhh... I dont like it. My Corvette needs to be front engine rear-wheel drive. That was half the cool ov it...this American brute machine, taking on the Euro exotics with an old platform and a pushrod V8. This things just looks like another Euro exotic now... Lost... in the mix.

Oh well... it'll make the older ones cheaper. Someday...

I agree. I see this as the beginning of the end for the Vette, but I hope I'm wrong.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Advertisement
Moparts Newest Topics
2nd generation Charger rotisserie set-up
by hemi68charger. 08/18/19 09:02 PM
9-1/4" Axle - Auburn/Dana/Yukon Limited Slip?
by GoodysGotaCuda. 08/18/19 08:55 PM
If it had a kitchenette, I'd be moving....
by Satilite73. 08/18/19 08:28 PM
Trendz (Rick) helps my dinosaur racecar get a jolt!
by gregsdart. 08/18/19 08:10 PM
Moparts Recent Posts
Waiting and WAITING for NHRA on FS1 !
by pittsburghracer. 08/18/19 09:52 PM
Headlight springs Daytona how to help
by hemi68charger. 08/18/19 09:35 PM
my youngest daughter is off to buy a 57 Chevy
by MidPenMopar. 08/18/19 09:31 PM
GM Makes An Unusual Offer To Mustang Owners
by Butterscotch71. 08/18/19 09:27 PM