Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline OP
master
DaveRS23  Offline OP
master
D

Benton, IL.
Here is an excerpt from https://www.smithsonianmag.com/hist...CztiW54sPm-4S1O0cBhgrdbwFKIKTtz93npQSBhE

By the mid-1980s, Mickey Thompson is too busy, even by his own overachieving standards, so he takes on a partner for the stadium race events. Imagine the Los Angeles Coliseum decked out as a winding dirt track for off-road trucks, with tight turns and spectacular jumps and whoop-de-dos and mud flying and the noise and the crashes and the beer sales and you’ll see it. It’s a fan favorite from the first green flag.

The partner is Michael Goodwin, a successful, charismatic former concert promoter who runs a supercross series nearly identical in its appeal and specifications to Thompson’s truck series: stadium dirt tracks and high-speed racing with lots of thrills. Two wheels instead of four. They’ll run their two companies together. Goodwin will take over some of the administrative chores. On paper it’s a match made in heaven.

From the beginning there’s trouble. Goodwin is a tall, smart, look-at-me type with a line of grandstanding rock ’n’ roll patter. Thompson would still rather build something than brag about it. They’re at odds immediately.

Within the first few months Thompson realizes that Goodwin isn’t paying out what the company owes—to Thompson or to anyone else. Goodwin stonewalls. Thompson sues. Goodwin takes the case all the way to the California State Court of Appeals. He loses. He owes Thompson more than half a million dollars, all of it gone, unaccounted for. He declares bankruptcy. This takes years.

In a different story, with different characters, maybe that’s where the matter ends. A court ruling and a money judgment, and all the lawyers shake hands, because business is business, even after a bankruptcy. Happens all the time.

Not this time.

Danny Thompson answered his phone early on the morning of March 16, 1988. “Somebody from my Dad’s office called and said, ‘Something’s happened up in Bradbury. We don’t know what it is.’” Danny drove fast up the freeway from Huntington Beach and found his father’s street cordoned off. The local news helicopters were hovering overhead. Mickey Thompson, famous American racer, 59 years old, and his second wife, Trudy, 41, had been shot to death in their own driveway. It was a tabloid celebrity murder in the old SoCal style, a preamble to O.J., all that grainy aerial video and the telephoto newspaper images from 1,000 feet away.

There’s money and jewelry conspicuous at the scene. It’s not a botched robbery. It’s a hit, an assassination. The neighbors hear the shots and the screaming and witness two men fleeing down the hill—on bicycles.

For days Thompson had been warning his family about Michael Goodwin’s subtle and not-so-subtle threats. Of revenge, of violence. “He’s taking everything I’ve got. He’s destroying me,” Goodwin told two friends at a 1988 dinner, according to court documents. “I’m going to take him out.” But there was no case against Goodwin, no physical evidence he had anything to do with the murders.

Years passed. It was perhaps the most famous cold case in America.

Investigators came and went from the Los Angeles police and the county sheriffs and the district attorney’s office and got nowhere. But Collene Thompson Campbell, Mickey’s sister, the politically astute former mayor of San Juan Capistrano, never gave up. She kept pressuring the authorities for better, broader, deeper investigations. She wouldn’t let anyone forget. A re-canvassing of the original witnesses eventually revealed what seemed like an unrelated comment from years earlier. A man matching Goodwin’s description had been seen parked on the street near the Thompson home in Bradbury several days before the killings.

That was enough to reopen the case. The trial began in November 2006. In January 2007, a Los Angeles County jury convicted Michael Goodwin on two counts of first-degree murder, for having engineered the murders-for-hire of Mickey and Trudy Thompson. He was sentenced to consecutive life sentences. His 2015 appeal was denied, and he remains at the Richard J. Donovan State Prison in San Diego, California. The gunmen have never been found. Or even identified.

KOS
Re: How much do you know about Mickey Thompson's murder? [Re: DaveRS23] #2677013
07/13/19 10:12 AM
07/13/19 10:12 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
We know who you are
Sniper  Offline
We know who you are
S

nowhere
there's a whole lot missing between "A man matching Goodwin’s description had been seen parked on the street near the Thompson home in Bradbury several days before the killings." and a conviction. Especially when "The gunmen have never been found. Or even identified."

What's the rest of it?

Re: How much do you know about Mickey Thompson's murder? [Re: Sniper] #2677036
07/13/19 11:46 AM
07/13/19 11:46 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Two black hit men on bicycles executed him and his wife was what was written in the L.A. times and many other newspapers and reported on all the T.V channels in L.A. at that time whiney
I won my first drag racing trophy at Mickey Thompson Drag City in Fontana, CA in 1964.
He was a legend on race cars of all types and going fast, R.I.P. bow

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 07/13/19 11:46 AM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: How much do you know about Mickey Thompson's murder? [Re: Cab_Burge] #2677063
07/13/19 01:12 PM
07/13/19 01:12 PM
So Near, Yet So Far
topside Offline
I Live Here
topside  Offline
I Live Here

So Near, Yet So Far
Yeah, it was a hit, and the most likely, probable, & motivated contractor by far was Goodwin.
There's been more written about it, and about Mickey of course.
Damn dark day; God only knows what clever ideas Mickey had left in him.
Mickey was a gung-ho idea guy & inventor, and usually a clever deal-maker, but on occasion the details would bite - for instance, the '64 Indy 500.

Re: How much do you know about Mickey Thompson's murder? [Re: topside] #2677081
07/13/19 02:09 PM
07/13/19 02:09 PM
Trumussia
J
jcc Offline
No politics
jcc  Offline
No politics
J

Trumussia
Typical high performing sociopath that must win at everything, with little more then smoke and mirrors for everyone else.

Nothing new IMO.

Mickey didn't do his homework.

so·ci·o·path
noun
a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.

Re: How much do you know about Mickey Thompson's murder? [Re: jcc] #2677092
07/13/19 03:15 PM
07/13/19 03:15 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
I Live Here
A12  Offline
I Live Here

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by jcc
Typical high performing sociopath that must win at everything, with little more then smoke and mirrors for everyone else.

Nothing new IMO.

Mickey didn't do his homework.

so·ci·o·path
noun
a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.

I guess you could say the same things about Mike Goodwin too? What I find disappointing is that Mike Goodwin seems to have been convicted on circumstantial evidence to two life sentences?? Sure he may have hired the killers or not but to charge and convict him on a years later claim that someone (thinks) they saw a person that "resembled" him up the street from MT's home a few days before is kind of weak IMO. If someone can hire and pay someone to kill someone, you have to wonder what it would cost to hire and pay someone to lie and say they saw someone that looks similar to the defendant up the street days before to reopen the case work ? And besides how many other situations was MT involved in that could have turned ugly, just saying as the Mike Goodwin conviction right or wrong was all on circumstantial evidence IMO in this case.

Re: How much do you know about Mickey Thompson's murder? [Re: A12] #2677100
07/13/19 03:56 PM
07/13/19 03:56 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
We know who you are
Sniper  Offline
We know who you are
S

nowhere
I dunno if Goodwin was convicted on circumstantial evidence or not myself. All I do know is that what the OP posted wouldn't get me to vote guilty if I was on that jury.

Like I asked, what's the rest of the story? There has to be more, especially if the appeal didn't overturn the conviction.

Re: How much do you know about Mickey Thompson's murder? [Re: Sniper] #2677117
07/13/19 04:24 PM
07/13/19 04:24 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Imagine you're walking your dog and you spot someone sitting in a car across the street. How much attention do you pay to them. Then some 18 or so years later you think "yeah, I distinctly remember that guy" !! C'mon !!

Many years ago I witnessed someone cause an accident and I followed the guy and got a pretty good look at him. I got his license number and it was reported to the cops. Well it turns out the driver wasn't the owner BUT the owner gave up the driver. It took months to come to court and when it finally did the Crown Prosecutor asked if I could positively pick the guy out of a lineup. If I do, he goes to jail. If I don't he walks. If he just appears before the judge then he gets his wrist slapped and a fine. I didn't think I could "positively" ID him so we chose to let him go in front of the judge.

That was after only a few months. To remember someone's face for no apparent reason after YEARS ?!?!? Hmmmmm !!

Re: How much do you know about Mickey Thompson's murder? [Re: Sniper] #2677134
07/13/19 05:46 PM
07/13/19 05:46 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
I Live Here
A12  Offline
I Live Here

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by Sniper
I dunno if Goodwin was convicted on circumstantial evidence or not myself. All I do know is that what the OP posted wouldn't get me to vote guilty if I was on that jury.

Like I asked, what's the rest of the story? There has to be more, especially if the appeal didn't overturn the conviction.

Mike Goodwin:

As part of his scheme to falsely convict me, Lillenfeld actually 'reversed' the true order of Mickey and Trudy‘s death, as is proven by initially suppressed, but newly discovered, evidence - and created a bizarre bogus crime scene script worthy of a pulp fiction novel. He then created phantom black killers on bicycles when every crime scene witness had reported a white shooter (no crime scene witness ever reported blacks or bikes on the crime scene). He did this since he had found witnesses who "spoke out" (for the first time thirteen years after the crime and only after the reward was offered) to say they saw me 2½ miles away, a few days prior to the crime (and also where another witness saw black riders that morning). But, initially suppressed and newly discovered evidence proves that both that I was not there and the riders seen near this location were not killers. It is impossible that they were.

With these frauds, and many more, I am told that I was the first person in U.S. history to be convicted of "ordering a hit", when the killers were never identified or found. We don't even know what race they were, for sure. No forensic evidence connected me. It was stipulated I was not at or near the scene of the crime. There is no evidence I was connected to a conspiracy. There is no confession. And, suppressed evidence proves that every allegation supporting my alleged guilt is fraudulent, every one of them, knowingly done by the D.A.

More here; (long) https://friendsofmichaelgoodwin.blogspot.com/2011/02/michael-goodwin-conviction-of-mickey.html

Re: How much do you know about Mickey Thompson's murder? [Re: A12] #2677146
07/13/19 06:31 PM
07/13/19 06:31 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
We know who you are
Sniper  Offline
We know who you are
S

nowhere
Link to the appeals court ruling on this case.

The appeals courts deals with his claims quite thoroughly.

Re: How much do you know about Mickey Thompson's murder? [Re: Sniper] #2677161
07/13/19 07:50 PM
07/13/19 07:50 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
I Live Here
A12  Offline
I Live Here

N.E. OHIO, USA
Link to the appeals court ruling on this case.

The appeals courts deals with his claims quite thoroughly.

Read through some of it and it surely reads one sided and it all seems written by the prosecuting attorneys.............still the bottom line is a person was convicted of a crime and received two life sentences on circumstantial evidence and mostly on what the defendant "supposedly" said at a party.......which at the end of the party statement he said "just kidding I would never do that" Maybe he did or didn't but isn't it "Proof beyond a reasonable doubt"? Seems to be no real hard evidence, weapons, killer (suspects) or anyone that tried to drop a dime on anyone for the $10,000 reward except for the 2-1/2 mile away 13 year later witness that claimed to have seen "a person" that "looked" like the defendant. NOTHING but hearsay and "I think that was him 2-1/2 miles away" (and when do I get my $10k). Again maybe he did do it or hire someone but they really haven't proved anything to me "beyond a reasonable doubt" Guess I've watched to many Perry Mason, Matlock, and even Psych episodes and thought "innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" to convict. Where's Shawn, Gus, Perry and Ben when you need them, heck even Barney Fife could see the injustice, guilty or not. wink

Re: How much do you know about Mickey Thompson's murder? [Re: A12] #2677170
07/13/19 08:30 PM
07/13/19 08:30 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
We know who you are
Sniper  Offline
We know who you are
S

nowhere
That appeals case is NOT the original case that convicted him.

It is the case that dealt with his appeals and claims of issues during the trial.

Read the original case, not the appeal, for the testimony given and look up what the word hearsay means.

Testifying what you saw or what the defendant told you is not hearsay.

Re: How much do you know about Mickey Thompson's murder? [Re: Sniper] #2677186
07/13/19 09:30 PM
07/13/19 09:30 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
I Live Here
A12  Offline
I Live Here

N.E. OHIO, USA
That appeals case is NOT the original case that convicted him.

It is the case that dealt with his appeals and claims of issues during the trial.

Read the original case, not the appeal, for the testimony given and look up what the word hearsay means.

Testifying what you saw or what the defendant told you is not hearsay.

information received from other people that one cannot adequately substantiate

In January or February 1988, William and Nina Wilson hosted dinner at their home for defendant and his wife. When Mr. Wilson asked defendant how he was doing, defendant replied, “Terrible.” Defendant was angry and said: “censored Thompson is killing me. He’s taking everything I’ve got. He’s destroying me. I’m going to take him out.” When Mr. Wilson responded, “Nobody wins that one. Mickey’s dead and you’re in prison,” defendant replied, “Oh, no,” and “I’m too smart for that. They’ll never catch me.” Nina Wilson heard the conversation and corroborated her husband’s account, saying that defendant said, “I just hate him,” and repeated, “I’m going to take him out.” Both the Wilsons believed defendant was serious. Mr. Wilson was “very upset” and Ms. Wilson was “shock[ed].” When he saw how shocked the Wilsons were, defendant said, “Well, you know I’m just kidding. I could never do anything like that.”

Why couldn't they give a specific date or even a specific month why was it "January or February?".

And why the "and" with what the defendant supposedly said
“Oh, no,” and “I’m too smart for that.
Why not "Oh no I'm too smart for that" ?? And why doesn't the “Well, you know I’m just kidding. I could never do anything like that.” have as much weight of truth as the prosecutor's claim of "I'm going to take him out". Also none of MG's alleged statements to me lead me to the conclusion that he was going to: "I'm going to HAVE SOMEONE take him out" Are they sure that's not what he said or isn't he that smart? Still NO proof that he actually did it or hired someone to do it even with a $10,000 reward. And how does one define "take him out" as kill him?? In football if a player is asked to "take him out" of an opposing team player does he kill him or hire another player or players to kill him? wink Even with M/T dead the M/T estate and family would have still collected the remaining $175,000 (and probably did) owed by MG's bankrupted company and SXI the AMA's Supercross promotion company paid the remaining money. So what was gained? I think Mickey Thompson had a few more enemies than just an average motorsports promoter named Mike Goodwin. Anyone that doesn't like my opinion then I'm going to "take you out" and have a beer or two and discuss this over a few cold ones. beer beer grin

Mike

Re: How much do you know about Mickey Thompson's murder? [Re: A12] #2677354
07/14/19 04:40 PM
07/14/19 04:40 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Since none of us were there when the case was tried (and we don't have the transcript) it would be pretty hard to say that the case was improperly handled.
Chances are pretty good that the defense attorney and judge are more familiar with the law than we are on Moparts.

Gotta go with the court on this one.

I've been around an iffy murder trial before. You really need to be there to understand it sometimes. No, they don't always go the right way.

I have a family member who was found guilty of manslaughter (down from 1st degree murder) in the dragging death of his girlfriend. We believe the finding was false. He didn't have any money and was stuck with the appointed defense attorney. That man never called a witness. Only the prosecutor called witnesses and they were primarily family members of the deceased. It was a real sh!tshow. They ignored her previous attempts at suicide, her promises to "do it right next time", the lack of defensive wounds on her body, the lack of ANY wounds on my cousin, and the lack of bleeding from the multiple abrasions on her body.
When someone has a rope around their neck and the other end through the hitch on a truck you can rest assured they're going to resist being dragged across a field. She had wounds on the backs of her hands, one side of her face, the tops of her feet, and down the front of her body. That all points to a person who was already dead. The lack of bleeding shows there was no blood flow prior to being dragged.
He was found guilty of dragging her to death, not strangling (or hanging) her then dragging her body.

To complicate things further, lots of alcohol was involved. Both had a history of very heavy drug abuse. He tested drug free but she was not. Both were intoxicated.

He died in prison awaiting an appeal.

Re: How much do you know about Mickey Thompson's murder? [Re: feets] #2677392
07/14/19 07:30 PM
07/14/19 07:30 PM
Byron, NY
W.I.N. racing Offline
pro stock
W.I.N. racing  Offline
pro stock

Byron, NY
Originally Posted by feets
Since none of us were there when the case was tried (and we don't have the transcript) it would be pretty hard to say that the case was improperly handled.
Chances are pretty good that the defense attorney and judge are more familiar with the law than we are on Moparts.

iagree

Interesting and sad story but its silly to have an opinion on the eventual out come unless you were part of the any of the process. twocents

FOR SALE'02 D1500, Blown/Inj KB, Veny Heads,Bruno/CS2,Dana 60 FOR SALE
'01 Dodge 3500 S Cummins Auto, Fresh air kit, 4" Exhaust,
'05 Dodge Magnum R/T8
'60 Willys CJ5
'01 International LPX - Project, 8.3L Cummins, Allison 2000
'64 Plymouth Valiant S/P, 528 Hemi, 2spd
Re: How much do you know about Mickey Thompson's murder? [Re: W.I.N. racing] #2677395
07/14/19 07:46 PM
07/14/19 07:46 PM
Home
4263rdGen Offline
master
4263rdGen  Offline
master

Home
Goodwin was seen down the street in a car, with binoculars as the murders happened

Re: How much do you know about Mickey Thompson's murder? [Re: 4263rdGen] #2677473
07/15/19 02:14 AM
07/15/19 02:14 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
I Live Here
A12  Offline
I Live Here

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by 4263rdGen
Goodwin was seen down the street in a car, with binoculars as the murders happened

Where is that fact written or in the available court documents ?

Re: How much do you know about Mickey Thompson's murder? [Re: A12] #2677493
07/15/19 07:30 AM
07/15/19 07:30 AM
Home
4263rdGen Offline
master
4263rdGen  Offline
master

Home
Originally Posted by A12
Originally Posted by 4263rdGen

Where is that fact written or in the available court documents ?

It was in a very recent short documentary I just saw on this. I'll try to find it and post it

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Moparts Newest Topics
Rumblers Car show under the BQE TODAY!
by hemi-itis. 09/21/19 08:29 AM
1970 Dodge Coronet Super Bee
by tomsjack. 09/21/19 04:17 AM
WORLD CUP - LIVE - rugby ....
by Doc Fiberglass. 09/21/19 12:49 AM
Mecum Louisville.....
by Doc Fiberglass. 09/21/19 12:16 AM
Moparts Recent Posts