Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline OP
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline OP
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Some of you might remember me posting this car up at the beginning of last year. At the time I was looking for opinions on what to do with it. Well...its back on the road. I bought this one 12 years ago and promptly stuffed it away in the barn never really looking at it ( I think I was maybe buying too many cars at the time...). So, last year I dug it it and started to clean it up thinking I was going to sell it. After starting on the cleaning up process, I realized just how clean the car was. This was a one owner original car from CA. I bought the car from the estate of the original owner (and still have the original CA title issued in November 1965 and the Black plates). Floor pans are in unbelievable condition. They are as clean and shiny as a brand new car.

As soon as I got the car home 12 years ago, I took the grille out to get it de-dinged and took the roof rack off (AND like a HUGE idiot, sold the thing....because 12 years ago, NOBODY wanted a wagon and at the time, my plan was to take away the nostalgia look and make it more modern...what an IDIOT). When it finally got drug it back out, I realized now that the car needed the roof rack back on to look correct. Finding one of those was a chore to say the least. The $200 I sold the original (AND MINT I might add) roof rack for did not cover what I had to do to get a correct one to say the least. Grille was de-dinged and tucked away in bags. There it all sat for the next 10 years.

After getting it out, originally, I was just going to get it running. Well, then I decided to change out the single reservoir master and put disc brakes on...that led to all new stainless lines, complete rebuild of the rear brakes, upper control arms, spindles, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. Then I took the original big radiator in just to have it checked....the term sprinkler can was used. I was going to use a new aluminum, but when I ran the numbers on the tanks, figured it was worth doing the original since it was a radiator that was also a Hemi application, so I figured I could always sell the recored assembly. So....recored the original radiator (boy...they dont give that away). Figured while I had the radiator out, change the water pump, fuel pump, fan clutch, all the hoses and belts, etc. Dropped the fuel tank and put in a new one along with a sending unit (by the way, these guys selling wagon-only gas tanks for more money are fleecing....I bought a standard B-Body tank....everything is the EXACT same).

The original interior was in surprising good shape......EXCEPT for the drivers area on the bench. The previous owner definitely had gotten his use out of that seat. I am going to guess he was not a super light guy. Had to have the springs redone, all new foam, etc. Come to find out that NOBODY makes a fixed bench seat cover in that two tone red....so, off I went to the custom shop. They were actually able to track down some original material and did a phenominal job in making the seat look right. Having that seat re-done cost me almost half of what I paid for the entire running and driving car! The rest of the interior is all original. Rear seat and thrird seat (which I have little doubt was ever used) are in great shape. One side note...if anyone has a couple of the correct arm rest pads in the dark red or whatever color they call this...I could still use them. The reproductions are a different pattern than mine and truthfully, I would rather have something that looks not-new to match what is there. Same thing...thinking the guys not small arm prettym much wore the drivers side out.

Of course, then I had to get new carpet....and get the seat-belts completely redone.....

Trim on the car was 100% intact and complete. All trim, except the grille which I had de-dented and re-plated, was just cleaned (one tailgate strip had to be de-dented and re-polished. Nothing was missing.

For the most part, the paint is original. I had to deal with the tailgate as the paint had obviously been re-done at some point. What I found was that the tailgate had been replaced at some point, guessing in the 60's or 70's, as the paint appeared to be laquer that had crazed and cracked. Whomever had replaced the gate had done a horrific job of hacking the harness back together. Double splices, gobs of black tape, etc. So..I completely disassembled the gate, had it media blasted in preparation for paint. Paint...that is a whole nother story. I can understand how so many here complain about body shop hell. I took it to a local shop with the expectation of a 'quick' turnaround because all I asked to have done was the tailgate and a small section right by the rear taillight where the old guy had obviously clipped the garage. That 'quick' turnaround did not happen.....weeks passed with every week being he was going to get to it this week.....finally at the end of last summer it was 'done'...............A bright sunny day I go pick the car up.......I note bright and sunny because he had the car waiting outside for me. Loaded it up, brought it home and put it in my barn. As soon as I got it in the barn and out of the sun......I could see he had really screwed up. He had tried to blend way far into the rear quarter (which apparently had also been laquer painted when they did the gate). Needless to say, the old laquer did not like the new paint. It had attacked the old laquer, opened up cracks, etc. By then, it was too late to deal with it and I stuffed the car away for the fall. This spring, back out and back to the shop to have the rear quarter fixed, which he did in a timely manner (I was shocked). Rear quarter had to be completely stripped to get rid of the mess left behind from the blending. They found absolutely nothing in the quarter, so not sure why it had been painted...maybe to try to blend to the gate that had been replaced.

Since getting it home, have been plugging away at re-assembly. Those taligate assemblies are complicated. Makes you really wonder how they did it on an assembly line in production. The re-assembly has to follow a certain sequence for sure. How they ever did the window regualator and motor assembly at the factory is beyond me. Having to blindly install the motor to the backside of the regulator and then fish the bolts through the latch hole defintiely took some time. Would really like to think I never have to take that apart again. Shout out to Restoration Specialties in PA. They had some of THE most obscure parts that I needed. The rear glass outer seal, which actually attaches to glass they actually had. Also the tailgate seal and other oddball clips. Great company with thousands of parts, but their catalog makes it tough to find anything.

Just put the wheels and tires on it yesterday after getting an alignment. Fronts are American Racing Torque Thrusts in 17x7 with 225-55-17 's and the rears are 17x8 with 255-50-17's. (yes, Scott Smith, I still have the original 14 x 5.5 steel wheels and will probably hang onto them until the car sells at some point). I could have probably gone up another tire size on the rear and they would have still fit. Getting them on is a bit of a challenge, requiring jacking it up into the stratoshphere and then letting the axle hang to allow the tire/wheel to be shoved under the drum and then up and over onto the axle. I personally like the look, but others will say it should have stayed original.

So.....Hoping to at least drive it some now. Wife still does not like the car (which suits me fine). My inital cheap purchase of the car has been WAY overspent in getting it back up and going. I keep telling my wife I just happened to be WAY ahead of my time when I bought it now that wagons have actually caught on. She is not buying that either.

IMG_0217.jpgIMG_0211.jpgIMG_0212.jpgIMG_0209.jpg

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: '66 Coronet Wagon - Back on the Road [Re: oldjonny] #2674065
07/04/19 02:46 PM
07/04/19 02:46 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
The old girl is looking sharp! Nice job! up

Re: '66 Coronet Wagon - Back on the Road [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #2674162
07/04/19 06:03 PM
07/04/19 06:03 PM
east side of Ohio
basketcase Offline
master
basketcase  Offline
master

east side of Ohio
beautiful!

Dave

1981 Dodge D150 360 auto
Re: '66 Coronet Wagon - Back on the Road [Re: basketcase] #2674257
07/04/19 10:27 PM
07/04/19 10:27 PM

S
Superfreak
Unregistered
Superfreak
Unregistered
S

That is definitely sharp looking. up

Last edited by Superfreak; 07/04/19 10:27 PM.
Re: '66 Coronet Wagon - Back on the Road [Re: ] #2674352
07/05/19 09:56 AM
07/05/19 09:56 AM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
Looks great, love that interior color

The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating.Proverbs 18:6
Re: '66 Coronet Wagon - Back on the Road [Re: bigdad] #2674429
07/05/19 01:29 PM
07/05/19 01:29 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline OP
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline OP
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Thanks...will post a few more pics when I can get some not out in the direct sun.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: '66 Coronet Wagon - Back on the Road [Re: oldjonny] #2676470
07/11/19 01:32 AM
07/11/19 01:32 AM
Land 'O Lakes
RoadRunnerLuva Offline
master
RoadRunnerLuva  Offline
master

Land 'O Lakes
Take some good pics of the front end and grille when you get time. Who restored the grille for you anyway? Nice looking wagon! up

Plymouth Makes It!
Re: '66 Coronet Wagon - Back on the Road [Re: RoadRunnerLuva] #2676492
07/11/19 08:10 AM
07/11/19 08:10 AM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline OP
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline OP
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Better pictures of the car here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YepcLzu8nv7EsSim8

Re: '66 Coronet Wagon - Back on the Road [Re: oldjonny] #2693450
09/01/19 02:31 PM
09/01/19 02:31 PM
On the run…
BloFish Offline
I Live Here
BloFish  Offline
I Live Here

On the run…
Gorgeous!

It really doesn't matter whether you win or lose…
as long as you look good doing it!

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK