So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
It would appear the intent behind my post wasn’t made clear.

The OP has a .002” ridge (or, 1/2 the thickness of a dollar bill)he’s worried about.
I’m saying......... don’t worry about it.

Ball hone it and put it back together.

I’ve re-ringed stuff with way way way more ridge than that....... no ridge reaming...... motors ran just fine for years.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: Ridge reamers? [Re: fast68plymouth] #2671495
06/29/19 11:13 AM
06/29/19 11:13 AM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
If not exceeding the worn part of the bore, ridge reaming won’t hurt anything. I don’t see how it could be argued that leaving a step in the bore is better than removing it. If the argument is that the ring doesn’t travel far enough to matter, than how does it hurt to remove the step?

"use it 'till it breaks, replace as needed"
Re: Ridge reamers? [Re: fast68plymouth] #2671847
06/30/19 10:15 AM
06/30/19 10:15 AM
Apollo, PA.
B1MAXX Offline
top fuel
B1MAXX  Offline
top fuel

Apollo, PA.
Originally Posted by fast68plymouth

The OP has a .002” ridge (or, 1/2 the thickness of a dollar bill)he’s worried about.

I’ve re-ringed stuff with way way way more ridge than that....... no ridge reaming...... motors ran just fine for years.

I agree up Thought you meant you could take the .002 out with the ball hone in less than a minute. Heck I have heard of people running moly rings on an untouched worn bore successfully. I've never done that. shruggy

Re: Ridge reamers? [Re: B1MAXX] #2671852
06/30/19 10:30 AM
06/30/19 10:30 AM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Originally Posted by B1MAXX

I agree up Thought you meant you could take the .002 out with the ball hone in less than a minute. Heck I have heard of people running moly rings on an untouched worn bore successfully. I've never done that. shruggy

The new rings will run up past the ridge. The idea of new rings smacking into a ridge several thousand times per minute does not sit well with me.

Running a three stone hone in the bores (assuming they survive impact with the ridge) will angle the stones and create a wide spot in the middle of the cylinder due to the angle of the stones.

Dingle berry hones will likely smooth the transition somewhat. However, they will not remove the .002" ridge without putting a .002" hone deeper in the hole as well. When you're done, the bore will look to have the same finish all the way down but there will be bore diameter variances along the way. That's just physics. Every ball removes metal, not just the ones you want.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Ridge reamers? [Re: feets] #2671856
06/30/19 10:36 AM
06/30/19 10:36 AM
Apollo, PA.
B1MAXX Offline
top fuel
B1MAXX  Offline
top fuel

Apollo, PA.
Sounds like a sweep with a ridge reamer is in order then. What was the original post here? laugh2

Re: Ridge reamers? [Re: B1MAXX] #2671861
06/30/19 10:45 AM
06/30/19 10:45 AM
Apollo, PA.
B1MAXX Offline
top fuel
B1MAXX  Offline
top fuel

Apollo, PA.
ok re-read the first post. I have only seen one design ridge reamer. The one that has a 3 foot expanding self centering design with a floating cutter that snaps out under the ridge an then winds upward out of the bore contacting the ridge and trimming it off. They must be used with some amount of "feel" to cut nicely and straight.

Re: Ridge reamers? [Re: feets] #2672032
06/30/19 06:16 PM
06/30/19 06:16 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Originally Posted by feets
Originally Posted by B1MAXX

The new rings will run up past the ridge. The idea of new rings smacking into a ridge several thousand times per minute does not sit well with me.

Running a three stone hone in the bores (assuming they survive impact with the ridge) will angle the stones and create a wide spot in the middle of the cylinder due to the angle of the stones.

Dingle berry hones will likely smooth the transition somewhat. However, they will not remove the .002" ridge without putting a .002" hone deeper in the hole as well. When you're done, the bore will look to have the same finish all the way down but there will be bore diameter variances along the way. That's just physics. Every ball removes metal, not just the ones you want.

I think before you are done with this you are going to regret not just going .030 over. I think the chances of using a ridge reamer to remove just .002" and still be anything close to a machinist's definition of round are pretty slim.

Somebody suggested the stock piston to wall clearance is a few thou tighter than your forged pistons need and you could bore and hone it to the forged piston to wall spec. At least you stand a chance of having a rounder straighter cylinder than what you have now.

Kevin

Page 2 of 2 1 2