06/26/19 09:04 PM
Edinboro PA
W
woot woot Offline OP
woot woot  Offline OP
W

Edinboro PA
Originally Posted by MarkM
Polarity on the pick-up wiring was my issue when this happened on a 360 with a MSD (I know you said you already checked this). What about the wiring itself? Unplug it at both ends and check both leads for a short between them and check both against body ground as well.

Next thing I would try is a known good ignition/coil/distributor wiring it up completely with new wire isolated from the existing.

I had a complete 2nd summitvdigita system wired to nothing but the battery direct and ran it with my msd distributor with leads both ways, and a summit msd knock off distributor, also, wired both ways, the summit ignition I borrowed had another brand new set of leads, I used those on both ignitions when testing the supposed correct polarity on both distributors and both ignition boxes, I cut my leads and put connectors in the middle so I could reverse them.

Odd question.....AM I IN NEED OF ANOTHER GROUND WIRE?

Re: HELP! way too much timing!!!! [Re: woot woot] #2670459
06/26/19 09:43 PM
06/26/19 09:43 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
The two things that make no sense to me....... and I’ve thought about it some........ are the 140psi and the overheating with the timing at anything more “normal”.

It’ll be interesting to see what this issue turns out to be.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: HELP! way too much timing!!!! [Re: fast68plymouth] #2670553
06/27/19 08:31 AM
06/27/19 08:31 AM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
I really don't like the 140 reading, but if it is relatively even across the cylinders..might be stuck with it for now

Definitely shoot the water under the manifold too...you never know.

I have had the gasket between the baseplate and the main body of the carb fail, and it actually had an internal vacuum leak to
one of the barrels of the carb, and really ran strange. I couldn't have found it if my life depended on it, no testing showed
anything until I took apart the carb and there it was.

Questions

If you goose the throttle to 3 or 4000 rpm and let it come back to idle on it's own.....does it immediately snap back to idle rpm,
or does it slowly come down from the higher rpm point? If it comes down very quickly, it is probably not a vacuum leak and I'd start looking elsewhere.

Is TDC on the balancer 100% verified correct, by you personally (since you're tuning it)?

What kind of a timing light are you using?

Sorry if there's any redundancy and these things have already been mentioned

Last edited by ZIPPY; 06/27/19 08:32 AM.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: HELP! way too much timing!!!! [Re: ZIPPY] #2670844
06/27/19 06:48 PM
06/27/19 06:48 PM
Edinboro PA
W
woot woot Offline OP
woot woot  Offline OP
W

Edinboro PA
Originally Posted by ZIPPY
I really don't like the 140 reading, but if it is relatively even across the cylinders..might be stuck with it for now

Definitely shoot the water under the manifold too...you never know.

I have had the gasket between the baseplate and the main body of the carb fail, and it actually had an internal vacuum leak to
one of the barrels of the carb, and really ran strange. I couldn't have found it if my life depended on it, no testing showed
anything until I took apart the carb and there it was.

Questions

If you goose the throttle to 3 or 4000 rpm and let it come back to idle on it's own.....does it immediately snap back to idle rpm,
or does it slowly come down from the higher rpm point? If it comes down very quickly, it is probably not a vacuum leak and I'd start looking elsewhere.

Is TDC on the balancer 100% verified correct, by you personally (since you're tuning it)?

What kind of a timing light are you using?

Sorry if there's any redundancy and these things have already been mentioned

I'm with ya zippy...but read through if you have the time..its all been done, put a you tube video up yesterday with the garden hose all over the intake.

It does snap back to idle.

I did verify the dampener to zero on the tab. Twice.

Old school non dial back timing lights. 2 of them , verified they work with msd as I have two other big blocks in the garage with msd that time right.

I have had 5 carbs on here in the past few weeks, the one I bought for it has been off and on 4 times itself. And it leaves nice impressions on the new gaskets every time. I have also used 4 hole and open plastic spacers and one aluminum.

No worries about the redundancy..I'd rather have that and possibly a new idea lol.

I am going to go out and clean up my block ground and add another if I can with something around the garage real quick.

I should add for everyone watching..it does run pretty good once it gets out of its lump and hits about 3k or more with a load on it. Not great..but respectable. I'm betting the locked timing has something to with it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3