06/15/03 02:18 AM
06/15/03 02:18 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

OK here's one with a little bit of a story to it. This was in Barstow, California at a late night fuel stop. The guy in the blue behind DG was trying to tell US all about Mopars. DG told me to take a pic while he had his back to us and she was flipping him off. He turned around and I didn't snap the pic and as you can tell, he seen DG flipping him off! Just another one of our memories from the road!

Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP #467
06/15/03 09:06 AM
06/15/03 09:06 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Here's a shot from the strip in Las Vegas, Nevada just before the sun came up. We drove all night from California and were too excited to just go to the Cannery and crash so we cruised the strip for a while.

This next shot was a day and a half later when we were just getting ready to leave Las Vegas. There was a school fundraiser car wash going on at the car wash across the street from the Cannery so we stopped in and had them wash the Daytona and the Falcon for the trip across the Nevada, Arizona and Utah deserts.

We're leaving in a few to take the Aussie Falcon to the Ford 100th anniversary deal and I'll try and get some pics later today of the dash conversion.

Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP #468
06/15/03 11:09 AM
06/15/03 11:09 AM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
You sure got some cool pics in John ! I can't wait until I get a few free moments here to go through this thread again from the begining! (we have been just flat out working here..non-stop)

Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP [Re: OzHemi] #469
06/15/03 12:33 PM
06/15/03 12:33 PM
Saline, MI
E
efisixpack Offline
pro stock
efisixpack  Offline
pro stock
E

Saline, MI
I finally got to see the car! John, that thing is Soooooo cool! Really, I don't think you could be any more unique than that. I was parked at the same dealership as you and Dale during the Gratiot Cruise (I had the pink challenger out)but I didn't see any of you around. Bummer, I was hoping to hear a few more good stories! Dale, I have to say that 'cuda of your's looks really tough with those new billboards.

When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep. Not screaming like the passengers in his car.
Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP [Re: efisixpack] #470
06/15/03 01:04 PM
06/15/03 01:04 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Great Pics and story..........next road trip I'll tag along in the Challenger!!

Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP #471
06/15/03 05:50 PM
06/15/03 05:50 PM
Spokane Wa
CrazyRocker70 Offline
top fuel
CrazyRocker70  Offline
top fuel

Spokane Wa
glad to see you guys all made it back ok. when do we get to see the rest of the pics??? gotta website we can go to?

Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP #472
06/15/03 08:00 PM
06/15/03 08:00 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Jeff, tell Peter that you guys are working too hard and need to slow down a bit!

Scott, hey glad ya got to see the Daytona! Dale pointed out your pink CHallenger but you wasn't anywhere to be found. We were in the median right across from the dealership most all afternoon. By the way, your Challenger is a way cool ride! Help me out a little here, that car is not the one in your sig pic right? That one looks Plum Crazy. By the way, yesterday was the first time I had seen Dale's new Cuda and it is sweeeeeeeeeeet!

Mike, I've got a few more pics from Vegas at night that I will load up later tonight. Man, you're right about it being a beautiful day! A buddy of mine came over and we took the Aussie Falcon down to Dearborn for the Ford 100th Anniversary deal. What a joke! Now I know why I never got into old Fords. Them jokers are clueless. We went to one of the gates and were told that we had to drive a mile down the road to Fairlane Town Center to register. After driving around in circles for a good twenty minutes, we were directed into the mall. Inside we were told, that registration had ended a month ago! I showed the Ford dork behind the table my Mopar Nationals T-shirt and said "Ya see this shirt? Well, Mopars rule and Fords drool, take your show and shove it." He said "thank you" and turned and walked away. We drove back to the Glass House to where the show was and pulled up behind, of all cars, a Grabber Blue Aussie Falcon GT351 just like the one we were in! What the heck are the odds of THAT happening??? Well they were from Washington state and my Falcon has California plates and we tucked in behind them and went up to the gate only to be told that we didn't have a sticker. We told the Ford dork at the gate that we were sent to Fairlane and then told it was too late and that this was getting a bit ridiculous and that we had driven all the way from California for this show. Nothing seemed to matter and they didn't want to take our money. It was the last day of the show and many people had already left for home and we could see tons and tons of parking spaces inside the gate. I have never liked Fords and have owned far fewer Fords than Mopars or G.M.'s. Now I know why. This was my first time attempting to attend a Ford event and I can most assuredly tell you it's also my last. The Ford Family is a bunch of idiots. They can't put a decent car or truck on the road without a bazillon recalls. Their cars and trucks are designed with planned obsolesxence in mind and don't last near as long as the competition. Their dealer parts network prices are astronomical. Their old musclecars (did they even build any?) don't hold a candle to our beloved Mopars. Their football team has sucked since day one and now they can't even put on a car show. Utterly ridiculous. So anyways, we left and came home and I mowed all the grass instead. OK, rant mode is now turned off.

Anyways, at long last, here's a couple pics of the dash conversion on the Daytona.

Don't mind the red wire hanging down off of the dash. That's the makeshift lighter socket we made in order to run an AC power inverter while we were out on the road. The factory b-body ashtry and lighter recpetacle were done away with in the RHD conversion. It's a little cruse compared to today's mirror image RHD conversions but it's still really neat. The headlight switch and dimmer swithc fell in the dash so we ran it to hang down to where we could still access it on the road. We'll have to deal with that also.

Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP #473
06/15/03 08:23 PM
06/15/03 08:23 PM
central New Jersey
D
dbdartman Offline
master
dbdartman  Offline
master
D

central New Jersey
Looks good in there john... interesting... different... etc, etc, etc.

As long as you're ranting, did you know that the company that Henry set up in 1903 is NOT what is currently Ford Motor Company? That company was bought out by Henry Leland & became Cadillac!!!!

So, in reality, it's not Ford's 100th, it's Cadillac's 100th birthday!!! ~under my breath~ morons in Dearborn can't even get their birthday right...

Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP [Re: dbdartman] #474
06/16/03 12:31 AM
06/16/03 12:31 AM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

That's the makeshift lighter socket we made in order to run an AC power inverter while we were out on the road.

Makeshift? Hey...I thought I made a pretty cool thing there!

Sounds like you need to enjoy your Falcon alone and forget the rest of the ford folks around there (well, most of them anyways )

Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP [Re: dbdartman] #475
06/16/03 03:08 AM
06/16/03 03:08 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

DB, wow I had no clue! That's definitely no joke about the morons in Dearborn. Anyways, Happy 100th Birthday, Cadillac!

I have to correct myself on the caption for one of the dash pics above. The red wire hanging down is part of an extremely sophisticated, high tech quick release male/female 12 volt power source which in turn, allows for the operation of modern portable electronics such as charging devices such as cell phones. It also allows for the use of a 110 volt AC inverter which allows for the mobile use of most household electronics items. Now don't that sound a whole lot better than makeshift!

Jeff, you're absolutely right. I don't need to be hanging with the Ford crowd in the time that I have the Falcon. Man, is it ever a fun car to drive. It's become my daily driver and is a real kick to drive.

Here's a couple more pics from Las Vegas and a shot of the Falcon out in the desert out the back window of the Daytona.

Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP #476
06/16/03 09:56 AM
06/16/03 09:56 AM
Spring Mount, PA
MOPAULY Offline
master
MOPAULY  Offline
master

Spring Mount, PA
Good stuff John, when do we get to see all the pics?

Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP #477
06/16/03 02:21 PM
06/16/03 02:21 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

If somebody could photoshop two red bubblegum lights on top, it would look like an MFP Interceptor chasing the Nightrider. lol.

Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP #478
06/16/03 04:37 PM
06/16/03 04:37 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

OneBadSuperbird.... would it be possible to see some nice picks of the Falcon.

Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP #479
06/16/03 07:35 PM
06/16/03 07:35 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Mopauly, ALL the pics??? I thing between the three of us, we shot like 1,500 pics! I've slowly been going through em and posting the best ones. There's a bunch I can't post until MCG decides what they're gonna do. But I'll keep on posting a few at a time on here for now.

451RoadRunner, that's a great idea! Maybe Peeler or XS29J8 can come up with something!

Prowler, here's a couple pics of the Falcon all cleaned up and sitting in the driveway this afternoon.

The last pic is of the Aussie Daytona's first meeting with the red, white and blue beast. Ya can't tell from this shot but the Daytona sits a good 4-5 inches lower than the Bird!

Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP #480
06/16/03 08:01 PM
06/16/03 08:01 PM
Orange County, Ca.
B1CUDA Offline
top fuel
B1CUDA  Offline
top fuel

Orange County, Ca.
This has been pretty cool to follow. Hey "Onebad", do you know a "fellow countryman" in the states(Cypress,California) by the name of Steve Fisher? Steve is a very good friend of mine who owns a 70 Superbird (440 car that is on display in the showroom of the Chrysler dealership that he works at) AND a 70 Roadrunner that he converted to right hand drive just like your Daytona. Steve did an amazing job on the conversion to right hand drive. It looks as if it was done in 1970 by the factory! Let me know if you know who I am referring to. If you don't, get in touch with me,you guys will be instant brothers. Sorry to kinda hi-jack the post, I just thought that you would be interested. B1

Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP [Re: B1CUDA] #481
06/16/03 08:11 PM
06/16/03 08:11 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

B1, hey there, the name sounds really familiar but I don't think I know Steve. We're like 2,400 miles from California though so that could have a good bit to do with it! It sounds like he's got some really cool cars though! Wish I had known that before we had left California so that maybe we could have met up and took some pics of all the cars together. I'd love to see his dash conversion. The conversion on this car is nice but was done 30 years ago and isn't quite up to today's mirror image conversions.

Here's a pic from inside the Daytona as Mark prepares to pass us up in the Falcon out in the Nevada desert.

Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP #482
06/16/03 10:05 PM
06/16/03 10:05 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
xs29j8 Offline
master
xs29j8  Offline
master

Fort Worth, Texas
Well, the light-bars are not early 70's designs, but the best I could do on short notice...

Looks like you better have a good story why you needed to go 250 KPH...

BTW OBS, did you see the Bi-Wing version of Moparmal's 'Daytona' conversion the other day?

Allen

Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP [Re: xs29j8] #483
06/16/03 10:10 PM
06/16/03 10:10 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Excellent!!!!!!!! Looks like a sig pic for DG.

"John, are four cops cars worse than one?"

Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP #484
06/16/03 10:22 PM
06/16/03 10:22 PM
Orange County, Ca.
B1CUDA Offline
top fuel
B1CUDA  Offline
top fuel

Orange County, Ca.
Yeah, I was kind of bummed. I started reading this post after you guys had left California. My friends Superbird is in the showroom at Moothart Chrysler/Plymouth in Cerritos,Ca.(Not far from where you were) I will get in touch with Steve and make sure that you two meet-up. Take care, B1

Re: AUSSIE DAYTONA ROAD TRIP [Re: B1CUDA] #485
06/16/03 10:45 PM
06/16/03 10:45 PM
Saline, MI
E
efisixpack Offline
pro stock
efisixpack  Offline
pro stock
E

Saline, MI
John, funny I was going to work the other day and happend to pass by a car wash. There were 7 (yes seven) Aussie Falcons there! Seriously, I pulled in a looked around a while. Very cool cars. The ones with their hood up had 351 clevelands. One silver car, pink, yellow, red (rallye race car) and a few others. Very unique indeed. BTW, the car you saw at the dealership is my small block car. The big block is in my 71 purple convert.

When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep. Not screaming like the passengers in his car.
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12