Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue #2657894
05/22/19 08:51 AM
05/22/19 08:51 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,021
USA
3
360view Offline OP
master
360view  Offline OP
master
3

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,021
USA
https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a27442948/cold-blue-b17-documentary/

Sample quote

That changes on May 23 with the nationwide, one-night-only theatrical screening of The Cold Blue, an extraordinary new documentary that makes use of recently discovered battle footage and miraculous film restoration technology. The film is the astounding result of a three-year labor by documentarian Erik Nelson, whose four-decade career includes producing Werner Herzog’s Grizzly Man, Discovery Channel’s Unsolved History series and numerous World War II documentaries, including Anne Frank’s Holocaust.

After discovering largely unseen B-17 footage in both American and German archives, Nelson’s groundbreaking documentary eventually drew support and contributions from late Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, George Lucas’ Skywalker Ranch studio, sound design maestro David Hughes (Black Panther, Pirates of the Caribbean series), folk-rock legend Richard Thompson and, most importantly, nine B-17 crewmen, all now in their 90s.

End quote

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: 360view] #2657942
05/22/19 11:06 AM
05/22/19 11:06 AM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,849
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,849
I've gotta see this one.

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: 360view] #2657954
05/22/19 11:25 AM
05/22/19 11:25 AM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,382
Nort Cackalacky
rrbrucea Offline
I Live Here
rrbrucea  Offline
I Live Here

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,382
Nort Cackalacky
Thanks for this info! Without your post I would have never known. Now I gotta figure out how to get my bride to ride over to Greensboro (about 30 miles) to see this movie with me. The timing of this post is kind of ironic for me since I'm sitting here wearing the Movie Memphis Belle polo shirt I bought the day I saw this 17 for the second time. I was scheduled to fly on it that day, but unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate. Flying on one is still THE thing on my bucket list I most want to do! One day it's going to happen...

59470129_10214116826057075_8946421026506407936_n.jpg
Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: rrbrucea] #2657962
05/22/19 11:37 AM
05/22/19 11:37 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,212
east side of Ohio
basketcase Offline
master
basketcase  Offline
master

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,212
east side of Ohio
I feel your pain...several years ago my wife bought me a ticket to ride on Nine O Nine for our wedding anniversary. And the same thing happened.......I got a T shirt and a hat though.....
The Movie Belle was the first (and so far only B-17 I got to see fly. Awesome sight and sounds.

PTDC0009.JPGPTDC0022.JPG

Dave


1969 Plymouth road runner post 383 4 speed F8
1981 Dodge D150 360 auto
Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: basketcase] #2658032
05/22/19 02:21 PM
05/22/19 02:21 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,382
Nort Cackalacky
rrbrucea Offline
I Live Here
rrbrucea  Offline
I Live Here

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,382
Nort Cackalacky
Nine O' Nine, Aluminum Overcast, the Belle, I don't care which one! Just wish more of them (as if there were many!) would come somewhere relatively close so I can make it happen!

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: rrbrucea] #2658083
05/22/19 05:05 PM
05/22/19 05:05 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 33,260
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 33,260
Bend,OR USA
I have seen several of the B17 survivors on displays as well as two of the remaining flying aircraft, they are tiny compared to todays military bombers and transport aircraft scope
I can't imagine being any where from 17 yrs to 25 yrs. old flying and fighting in those airplanes during WW2, especially in Europe in the winter shock


Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: Cab_Burge] #2658096
05/22/19 05:23 PM
05/22/19 05:23 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,936
Canada
C
ChryCoGuy Offline
master
ChryCoGuy  Offline
master
C

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,936
Canada
Thanks for posting... always been a big fan of the B-17 (and most other WWII aircraft)... will definitely have to see this.

Got to see the Lancaster in the Canadian Aerospace and Aviation Museum last summer. It's basically a new old stock Lancaster - built at the end of the war, delivered overseas but never flew any missions. Then mothballed for a number of years and briefly put into patrol service. Very cool to see it up close.

https://ingeniumcanada.org/aviation/collection-research/artifact-avro-lancaster-x.php

[Linked Image]

Quote
History:

The "Lanc" was arguably the best heavy bomber used in Europe in Second World War. Although somewhat vulnerable to fighter attack, it was relatively fast, had a high ceiling, and could carry enormous loads for its size. Victory Aircraft at Malton, Ontario, produced the first Canadian-built Lancaster, a Mark X, first flown August 1, 1943. Many Canadian-built Mark Xs served overseas with No.6 Group. The Lancaster continued in the RCAF until 1965 for maritime patrol, photo survey, search and rescue, and navigator training.

Wartime crew was a pilot, flight engineer, navigator, bomb aimer, radio operator and two gunners. Peacetime maritime patrol crew was two pilots, flight engineer, two navigators, and three radio officers. A late Mark X, the museum aircraft has a Martin upper turret with two 50-calibre guns. Maritime patrol versions had no top turret, and only the front turret was armed with two .303-calibre machine guns. Drafty, noisy, and uncomfortable on long flights, the Lancaster was nevertheless strong, reliable, and a delight to fly. Pilot Officer A.C. Mynarski won a posthumous Victoria Cross for bravery in a Canadian Lancaster during an attack on Cambrai, France.
Current Location:

Second World War Exhibition, Canada Aviation and Space Museum
Provenance:

Transfer from RCAF

Built in 1945, this is the most complete Lancaster X in existence, remaining very close to its wartime condition. It was delivered overseas to No. 425 Alouette Squadron RCAF in May 1945, but arrived too late to take part in bombing operations and was placed in long-term storage the same year.

In 1952, it served with No. 404 Maritime Patrol Squadron RCAF in Greenwood, Nova Scotia for a short period of time. The RCAF restored the aircraft in 1964, applying the nose art and squadron markings of an aircraft from No. 428 Squadron, RCAF. The tiny bombs painted on the port side of the nose indicate the number of sorties the aircraft made. The Lancaster was placed in the RCAF's historic aircraft collection in 1964, and was transferred to the Museum, along with the rest of the collection, later that year.


As cool as that was to see, I want to see a B-17 even more. They were truly (IMHO) the gnarliest, toughest bombers in the air during WWII.

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: ChryCoGuy] #2658163
05/22/19 07:55 PM
05/22/19 07:55 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,374
Harriman NY
7
71GTX471 Offline
pro stock
71GTX471  Offline
pro stock
7

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,374
Harriman NY
Picked my son up from collage last Friday & he knew about it so I reserved 4 seats @ the closest theater to us cant wait to see it.

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: Cab_Burge] #2658175
05/22/19 08:33 PM
05/22/19 08:33 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 69,296
Middlesex County, New Jersey
DirectSubjection Offline
Tacohead. The First and Only
DirectSubjection  Offline
Tacohead. The First and Only

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 69,296
Middlesex County, New Jersey
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I have seen several of the B17 survivors on displays as well as two of the remaining flying aircraft, they are tiny compared to todays military bombers and transport aircraft scope
I can't imagine being any where from 17 yrs to 25 yrs. old flying and fighting in those airplanes during WW2, especially in Europe in the winter shock


looking in the bomber cockpit at the ww2 museum in New Orleans I thought the same thing, they look a lot bigger in the old movies.. Same with the fighters - imagine flying long distances in them over the open ocean. bow

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: DirectSubjection] #2658186
05/22/19 08:49 PM
05/22/19 08:49 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 69,296
Middlesex County, New Jersey
DirectSubjection Offline
Tacohead. The First and Only
DirectSubjection  Offline
Tacohead. The First and Only

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 69,296
Middlesex County, New Jersey
Dang, one night only. I will have to see it on HBO frown

Last edited by DirectSubjection; 05/23/19 12:16 AM.
Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: ChryCoGuy] #2658238
05/22/19 10:38 PM
05/22/19 10:38 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 33,260
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 33,260
Bend,OR USA
Originally Posted by ChryCoGuy
Thanks for posting... always been a big fan of the B-17 (and most other WWII aircraft)... will definitely have to see this.

Got to see the Lancaster in the Canadian Aerospace and Aviation Museum last summer. It's basically a new old stock Lancaster - built at the end of the war, delivered overseas but never flew any missions. Then mothballed for a number of years and briefly put into patrol service. Very cool to see it up close.

https://ingeniumcanada.org/aviation/collection-research/artifact-avro-lancaster-x.php

[Linked Image]

Quote
History:

The "Lanc" was arguably the best heavy bomber used in Europe in Second World War. Although somewhat vulnerable to fighter attack, it was relatively fast, had a high ceiling, and could carry enormous loads for its size. Victory Aircraft at Malton, Ontario, produced the first Canadian-built Lancaster, a Mark X, first flown August 1, 1943. Many Canadian-built Mark Xs served overseas with No.6 Group. The Lancaster continued in the RCAF until 1965 for maritime patrol, photo survey, search and rescue, and navigator training.

Wartime crew was a pilot, flight engineer, navigator, bomb aimer, radio operator and two gunners. Peacetime maritime patrol crew was two pilots, flight engineer, two navigators, and three radio officers. A late Mark X, the museum aircraft has a Martin upper turret with two 50-calibre guns. Maritime patrol versions had no top turret, and only the front turret was armed with two .303-calibre machine guns. Drafty, noisy, and uncomfortable on long flights, the Lancaster was nevertheless strong, reliable, and a delight to fly. Pilot Officer A.C. Mynarski won a posthumous Victoria Cross for bravery in a Canadian Lancaster during an attack on Cambrai, France.
Current Location:

Second World War Exhibition, Canada Aviation and Space Museum
Provenance:

Transfer from RCAF

Built in 1945, this is the most complete Lancaster X in existence, remaining very close to its wartime condition. It was delivered overseas to No. 425 Alouette Squadron RCAF in May 1945, but arrived too late to take part in bombing operations and was placed in long-term storage the same year.

In 1952, it served with No. 404 Maritime Patrol Squadron RCAF in Greenwood, Nova Scotia for a short period of time. The RCAF restored the aircraft in 1964, applying the nose art and squadron markings of an aircraft from No. 428 Squadron, RCAF. The tiny bombs painted on the port side of the nose indicate the number of sorties the aircraft made. The Lancaster was placed in the RCAF's historic aircraft collection in 1964, and was transferred to the Museum, along with the rest of the collection, later that year.


As cool as that was to see, I want to see a B-17 even more. They were truly (IMHO) the gnarliest, toughest bombers in the air during WWII.

You are making your decision on which WW2 bomber was the gnarliest bomber base on the information the entertainment industry has fed us since the end of WW@2, the B24 was far better as a bomber when comparing bomb loads and distances they could fly to their targets ability scope
Both of those aircraft flew in most of WW2, unlike the B29 which enter service later after the war was being fought work
The two nuclear bombs drop on Japan by the B29 was what ended W.W. 2 bow work


Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: rrbrucea] #2658255
05/23/19 12:10 AM
05/23/19 12:10 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,960
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,960
Highland, MI.
Originally Posted by rrbrucea
Nine O' Nine, Aluminum Overcast, the Belle, I don't care which one! Just wish more of them (as if there were many!) would come somewhere relatively close so I can make it happen!


Thanks OP - never knew this was playing tomorrow night only - I'll be going to see it.

Me & 3 other buddies took a flight on Yankee Lady about 4 years ago. It was totally worth it & amazing.


“Bear in mind that brains and learning, like muscle and physical skill, are articles of commerce. They are bought and sold. You can hire them by the year or by the hour. The only thing in the world not for sale is character.” (Antonin Scalia)
Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: rrbrucea] #2658264
05/23/19 01:03 AM
05/23/19 01:03 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 424
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
mopar
PhillyRag  Offline
mopar
P

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 424
Phila
Originally Posted by rrbrucea
Thanks for this info! Without your post I would have never known. Now I gotta figure out how to get my bride to ride over to Greensboro (about 30 miles) to see this movie with me. The timing of this post is kind of ironic for me since I'm sitting here wearing the Movie Memphis Belle polo shirt I bought the day I saw this 17 for the second time. I was scheduled to fly on it that day, but unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate. Flying on one is still THE thing on my bucket list I most want to do! One day it's going to happen...


This June has the annual MAAM.org show in Reading PA. Can book flights in a B-17. Was a great show last years; nice weather. Didn't fly in a B-17. But standing beside one & glancing inside, you're almost speechless thinking about what they had to endure & the courage it took to do it.

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: PhillyRag] #2658291
05/23/19 08:00 AM
05/23/19 08:00 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,610
MD
floyd Offline
master
floyd  Offline
master

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,610
MD
It will be cool to see this on a big screen, but I believe HBO is going to show this film on 6 Jun if you can’t get to a theater.

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: Cab_Burge] #2658297
05/23/19 08:37 AM
05/23/19 08:37 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,936
Canada
C
ChryCoGuy Offline
master
ChryCoGuy  Offline
master
C

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,936
Canada
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

You are making your decision on which WW2 bomber was the gnarliest bomber base on the information the entertainment industry has fed us since the end of WW@2, the B24 was far better as a bomber when comparing bomb loads and distances they could fly to their targets ability scope
Both of those aircraft flew in most of WW2, unlike the B29 which enter service later after the war was being fought work
The two nuclear bombs drop on Japan by the B29 was what ended W.W. 2 bow work


Actually, I haven't seen much of what the entertainment industry has put out on it... presumably you are talking about movies like Memphis Belle (which I haven't seen)?

From reading stories of bomber crews and watching documentaries, etc., I'm left with the impression that, while the other bombers had better specs for bomb loads and range, they were also harder to fly and were somewhat fragile compared to the B-17.

Same with the Lancaster I mentioned... it would not take much flak before it would break up and crash to the ground, whereas I've seen videos of B-17s making it back to base after a mission, missing half their engines, large sections of wings and tail, etc.

The impression I get is that the air crews, the guys actually putting it on the line, preferred the B-17s whereas the upper level Air Force staff preferred the B-24s due to their bomb load and range capacities. i.e. the B-17s were better for getting back alive while the B-24s were better for bombing mission planning...

I stand by my statement.

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: floyd] #2658373
05/23/19 12:24 PM
05/23/19 12:24 PM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,441
Central Valley, CA
kidmopar Offline
master
kidmopar  Offline
master

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,441
Central Valley, CA
Originally Posted by floyd
It will be cool to see this on a big screen, but I believe HBO is going to show this film on 6 Jun if you can’t get to a theater.


iagree That's what I'm waiting for ! up

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: kidmopar] #2658424
05/23/19 02:46 PM
05/23/19 02:46 PM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,849
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,849
Just purchased two tickets for the only screening this evening here in Brooklyn. Waiting on anticipation. Don't worry folks, I won't give away the ending unless asked to.

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: ChryCoGuy] #2658426
05/23/19 02:51 PM
05/23/19 02:51 PM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,849
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,849
I could be wrong, but were the B-17's flown their sorties at lower ceilings thus more vulnerable to stronger impact flak compared to B-others that could be at higher ceiling levels for safety?

Fascinating and also a sign of when a country is backed up against a wall, what the assembly lines, (in Detroit and elsewhere) mechanics, flight crews and public will do to prevail.

Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2658429
05/23/19 03:00 PM
05/23/19 03:00 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,212
east side of Ohio
basketcase Offline
master
basketcase  Offline
master

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,212
east side of Ohio
The 8th AF flew at 19,000 feet plus. When the B-29s started bombing Japan, they were getting poor results because of the jet stream. That's when General LeMay changed tactics and started bombing at night at low altitude.


Dave


1969 Plymouth road runner post 383 4 speed F8
1981 Dodge D150 360 auto
Re: Historical B-17 movie: The Cold Blue [Re: basketcase] #2658634
05/24/19 12:29 AM
05/24/19 12:29 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,960
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,960
Highland, MI.
Originally Posted by basketcase
The 8th AF flew at 19,000 feet plus. When the B-29s started bombing Japan, they were getting poor results because of the jet stream. That's when General LeMay changed tactics and started bombing at night at low altitude.


Agreed. Some missions they bombed from MUCH higher - like even 30,000 feet. As far as flak, the Germans got damn good at dialing in the altitudes of the bomber groups - they could hit them at any altitude. Black, oily clouds with bright orange in the middle. The shrapnel was totally indiscriminate & plowed through anything in it's path. That would be scary as hell.

BTW, I missed the movie tonight - an impromptu trip to buy a car today in Ohio got me back too late. DAMN! Anybody who saw it, how was it?

Last edited by Sunroofcuda; 05/24/19 12:31 AM.

“Bear in mind that brains and learning, like muscle and physical skill, are articles of commerce. They are bought and sold. You can hire them by the year or by the hour. The only thing in the world not for sale is character.” (Antonin Scalia)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Moparts Newest Topics
"The Surfers" - TF history
by topside. 09/19/19 05:39 PM
Cleaning seatbelts?
by lilcuda. 09/19/19 04:36 PM
2wd Dodge Sanborn ,Iowa
by bigdad. 09/19/19 04:32 PM
1967 Belvedere II 383 4 speed
by lilcuda. 09/19/19 04:21 PM
Moparts Recent Posts
Replacing a single Master Cylinder
by Sammy. 09/19/19 05:45 PM
"The Surfers" - TF history
by topside. 09/19/19 05:39 PM

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1