Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline OP
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline OP
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
So I was thinking the other day how I don't have mds on my truck because it's a 5 speed 3/4 ton but I do use the engine braking a lot so I got to thinking what if on my new engine I am building (392) I took 8 MDS lifters and put them on just intake valves and wired the solenoids to a button I could push when I am engine braking to shut off the intake valves, would this create a higher vacuume in the cylinders and more effective braking like a jake brake for a gas engine or am I not thinking something through properly here? I could even wire in a cutout to the ground on the injectors so they are not filling the port with fuel while the intake valve is not opening and get the added benefit of not using any fuel while it's not needed (yes I am aware I would get a code for an open circuit for the injectors).

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Different use for MDS ??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2651697
05/03/19 07:26 PM
05/03/19 07:26 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Originally Posted by HotRodDave
So I was thinking the other day how I don't have mds on my truck because it's a 5 speed 3/4 ton but I do use the engine braking a lot so I got to thinking what if on my new engine I am building (392) I took 8 MDS lifters and put them on just intake valves and wired the solenoids to a button I could push when I am engine braking to shut off the intake valves, would this create a higher vacuume in the cylinders and more effective braking like a jake brake for a gas engine or am I not thinking something through properly here? I could even wire in a cutout to the ground on the injectors so they are not filling the port with fuel while the intake valve is not opening and get the added benefit of not using any fuel while it's not needed (yes I am aware I would get a code for an open circuit for the injectors).

Usually the way an engine brake works, at least on a diesel, is it pops the exhaust valves open at TDC on the compression stroke. Not sure how those MDS actuators work but it would take some software trickery to get them to do that in firing order.

Kevin

Re: Different use for MDS ??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2651983
05/04/19 06:59 PM
05/04/19 06:59 PM
Australia
L
L4staero Offline
L4staero  Offline
L

Australia
I think you would want to have the MDS lifters on the exh side so you can fill the cylinders with air to make compression to use as a brake

Re: Different use for MDS ??? [Re: L4staero] #2652606
05/06/19 01:07 PM
05/06/19 01:07 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline OP
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline OP
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Doing that would put pressure on the piston going up and act like a spring to push it down so net braking would be minimal. Of course thinking more about closing the intake valve would do the same thing butt with a vacuum pulling on it. The first stroke with the closed valve would be the only stroke to brake the truck.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Different use for MDS ??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2652690
05/06/19 05:31 PM
05/06/19 05:31 PM
Australia
L
L4staero Offline
L4staero  Offline
L

Australia
Originally Posted by HotRodDave
Doing that would put pressure on the piston going up and act like a spring to push it down so net braking would be minimal. Of course thinking more about closing the intake valve would do the same thing butt with a vacuum pulling on it. The first stroke with the closed valve would be the only stroke to brake the truck.

Yes thats the idea for it to act like a spring, it slows the piston down and acts like a "air brake". Essentially it has 2 compression strokes and no power stroke