nielsville, minn.
Q
quickd100 Offline
master
quickd100  Offline
master
Q

nielsville, minn.
I don't hate myself enough to run a 4-spd.

Re: Stick racing is sooo cool!!! [Re: quickd100] #2647220
04/20/19 12:20 PM
04/20/19 12:20 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Originally Posted by quickd100
I don't hate myself enough to run a 4-spd.
grin I recovered from it whistling, love those automatic once you get the good parts for them also up

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Stick racing is sooo cool!!! [Re: CMcAllister] #2647242
04/20/19 01:17 PM
04/20/19 01:17 PM
Washington
W
weedburner Online content
weedburner  Online Content
W

Washington
Seems most in this thread haven't figured it out yet, doesn't have to be as hard or expensive as it may seem.

Under about 800hp, $900 can get you a flywheel/PP/disc that can get the job done. Just as quick if not quicker than an automatic, while being easier on trans/driveline parts. The key is adding a clutch hit controller, which enables you to match the hit of that clutch to the engine. You will then be able to dead hook the launch without bogging the engine, which is far more consistent than chasing track conditions for just the right amount of wheelspin. And you will be able do it with an 833.

If you want to know what a clutch hit controlled dead hook launch looks like, check out the heads-up pro-tree NMRA Coyote Stock class. Automatics and trans brakes are legal there, but you won't find any.

Grant

Re: Stick racing is sooo cool!!! [Re: weedburner] #2647307
04/20/19 04:32 PM
04/20/19 04:32 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
We have a car I've helped with, 9.30s in good air, will go mid 1.20s in 60 if he wants it to, 3500# or so, 4 link, good parts, G-Force clutchless 5 speed. Dead hooks and repeats like a dragster when everyone else is b!+@#ing about the track. 2 words, Racepak, video.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Stick racing is sooo cool!!! [Re: CMcAllister] #2647444
04/21/19 01:15 AM
04/21/19 01:15 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
I loved bracket racing my 4-speed Dart years ago as I ran it about 5 years until I rolled it. But it sure did break a lot more parts then my 63 has with the auto. Ron

Re: Stick racing is sooo cool!!! [Re: fourgearsavoy] #2647546
04/21/19 12:39 PM
04/21/19 12:39 PM
Mt.Gilead, Ohio
OhioMopar Offline
master
OhioMopar  Offline
master

Mt.Gilead, Ohio
Awesome! I'd love to be able to run stick car more frequently, but I just wouldn't be able to break anything. Lol.

1969 Dart GTS 340
1969 Super Bee X9 N-96
1969 Coronet R/T X9 N-96
2015 Dodge Dart GT
2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn.
Looking for the original block for my Bee. The last 4 are 7449
Re: Stick racing is sooo cool!!! [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2647740
04/22/19 09:56 AM
04/22/19 09:56 AM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket
I used to run a stick car on the streets many, many moons ago and it was the best fun that I could remember to boast about.

I loved driving/racing a stick car on the street, but was never able to cut a competitive light with one at the track. My lack of consistency was sad, but running real street tires didn't help the problem.

Re: Stick racing is sooo cool!!! [Re: BradH] #2647766
04/22/19 10:46 AM
04/22/19 10:46 AM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

I remember running the Mickey Thompson (I) tread street tires and thought those were the hot ticket. Then I went to Old school Kelly's. Then I went to an old school pair of Casler cheater slicks that someone gave me. Car would not hold much unless I rode out the clutch which was a 3000 Lb unit.
It was only when I went automatic that I discovered the Mcreary's dirt track tires and proceeded to make mice out of men on the street. Sticky with hardly no burnout.

Re: Stick racing is sooo cool!!! [Re: BradH] #2647812
04/22/19 12:32 PM
04/22/19 12:32 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Originally Posted by BradH
Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket
I used to run a stick car on the streets many, many moons ago and it was the best fun that I could remember to boast about.

I loved driving/racing a stick car on the street, but was never able to cut a competitive light with one at the track. My lack of consistency was sad, but running real street tires didn't help the problem.

I ran My wife's 4 speed Challenger for a year while building my racecar. I couldn't cut a light either. Then I fabricated a adjustable clutch stop. Adjusted the stop so the pedal didn't go all the way to the floor. Night and day difference.
Doug

Re: Stick racing is sooo cool!!! [Re: dvw] #2647825
04/22/19 01:03 PM
04/22/19 01:03 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

I practiced on so many a traffic light with my stick and was good at the hole launch.
Once raced two other guys besides me at the same time, one a 70'-71' Challenger and the other a stick Vega or something. Got 'em both by a car length. They both asked me after what was I running for a trans because it sure was smooth and rapid. "Muncie M22 and good foot work Fellas. The good nights on Francis Lew.

Re: Stick racing is sooo cool!!! [Re: weedburner] #2647962
04/22/19 08:52 PM
04/22/19 08:52 PM
Oh
P
parksr5 Offline
super stock
parksr5  Offline
super stock
P

Oh
Originally Posted by weedburner
Seems most in this thread haven't figured it out yet, doesn't have to be as hard or expensive as it may seem.

Under about 800hp, $900 can get you a flywheel/PP/disc that can get the job done. Just as quick if not quicker than an automatic, while being easier on trans/driveline parts. The key is adding a clutch hit controller, which enables you to match the hit of that clutch to the engine. You will then be able to dead hook the launch without bogging the engine, which is far more consistent than chasing track conditions for just the right amount of wheelspin. And you will be able do it with an 833.

If you want to know what a clutch hit controlled dead hook launch looks like, check out the heads-up pro-tree NMRA Coyote Stock class. Automatics and trans brakes are legal there, but you won't find any.

Grant

Unless something has changed, during the last NMRA event that I attended, (which was 3-4 years ago) I had a conversation with one of the Coyote Stock drivers specifically regarding the transmissions they run. The guy I spoke with indicated that most of them run a g-force, TKO or some type self built/concocted T5. I inquired on how long the service life is and he indicated that it's normally one weekend event, sometimes less. He also indicated that there was one auto running that weekend but, it was about 2 tenths off the pace.

To be competitive in the class, I understand the need to run a stick but, for a bracket car, I could not see changing the transmission after every event and rebuilding the one that came out of the car (I think most of these guys have more than one). I have two friends that run at these same events in another class and run similar times as the Coyote Stock guys. One has a c4 and the other, a c5. They normally run their transmissions for 5-7 years before a rebuild. For the masses, is it that much more fun for the work and money that's required? For some, maybe but, not for me. This is coming from a former "Don't have a clutch, then you don't have much" or "real men drive cars with 3 pedals" type of guy. Not anymore, give me a C4, 727 or T400 any day.

FYI- I still have 2 stick cars.

Re: Stick racing is sooo cool!!! [Re: parksr5] #2648000
04/22/19 10:30 PM
04/22/19 10:30 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted by parksr5

Grant

Unless something has changed, during the last NMRA event that I attended, (which was 3-4 years ago) I had a conversation with one of the Coyote Stock drivers specifically regarding the transmissions they run. The guy I spoke with indicated that most of them run a g-force, TKO or some type self built/concocted T5. I inquired on how long the service life is and he indicated that it's normally one weekend event, sometimes less. He also indicated that there was one auto running that weekend but, it was about 2 tenths off the pace.

To be competitive in the class, I understand the need to run a stick but, for a bracket car, I could not see changing the transmission after every event and rebuilding the one that came out of the car (I think most of these guys have more than one). I have two friends that run at these same events in another class and run similar times as the Coyote Stock guys. One has a c4 and the other, a c5. They normally run their transmissions for 5-7 years before a rebuild. For the masses, is it that much more fun for the work and money that's required? For some, maybe but, not for me. This is coming from a former "Don't have a clutch, then you don't have much" or "real men drive cars with 3 pedals" type of guy. Not anymore, give me a C4, 727 or T400 any day.

If they are breaking gear boxes like that, it's the clutch, every time. I realize those guys are limited by the junk clutches those cars come with, but they don't make that much power. It's junk clutches that kill parts.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Stick racing is sooo cool!!! [Re: madscientist] #2648135
04/23/19 12:17 PM
04/23/19 12:17 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted by madscientist

If they are breaking gear boxes like that, it's the clutch, every time. I realize those guys are limited by the junk clutches those cars come with, but they don't make that much power. It's junk clutches that kill parts.

A good clutch will break parts just as fast, maybe faster, if the operator doesn't know how to run it. Something has to slip somewhere or it will break and/or bend stuff.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Stick racing is sooo cool!!! [Re: parksr5] #2648144
04/23/19 12:34 PM
04/23/19 12:34 PM
Washington
W
weedburner Online content
weedburner  Online Content
W

Washington
Originally Posted by parksr5

Grant

In 2015, the only Coyote Stock racer using the ClutchTamer was Jacob Lamb. He's the guy who installed a factory "HOOD" release handle on the 'tamer and flew under the radar for a while. At the time, it was common for the typical CS racer to have the transmission/clutch out of the car several times during an event and broken transmissions were common. Jacob never broke another T5 after the 'Tamer was installed, and ended up season champ.

In 2016, Coyote Stock racer Carlos Sobrino also started using the 'tamer and began setting sealed engine records. The 'tamer reduced his need for clutch maintenance to the point where there was little need to pull the transmission during an event. At that point other racers started to notice, but broken transmissions had been so common in the class that NMRA amended the rules to allow the DR4 and G101A.

Fast forward to the 2017 season, by August there were around CS 10 racers that were using the 'tamer. Everything was going smooth and 'tamer customers were winning almost all the races, until a couple Black Magic sponsored racers complained to NMRA that some racers were using the 'tamer which they thought was cheating. There were some meetings, then on Sept 12 NMRA posted a rules clarification that effectively made the tamer illegal. When those 'tamer users got wind of the change, there was a Coyote Stock mutiny with many threatening to quit. The change meant the 'tamer users, who by now many had gotten their own clutch sponsors, would likely have go back to using the special Black Magic counterweighted pressure plate. The 'tamer saved them a lot of money and work, and they did not want to go back to the high maintenance program of pulling the trans several times a weekend for clutch maintenance. On Sept 13 NMRA had an emergency meeting to address the issue, and the amendment was re-written to specifically allow use of an un-modified ClutchTamer. I should mention that I have never been to an NMRA race, and have never even been face to face with any of the NMRA racers or officials. I don't sponsor anyone in the class, nor do I offer any contingencies. Those guys use my 'tamer only because it makes them more consistent and saves them money.

Grant

Re: Stick racing is sooo cool!!! [Re: CMcAllister] #2648166
04/23/19 01:20 PM
04/23/19 01:20 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Originally Posted by madscientist

A good clutch will break parts just as fast, maybe faster, if the operator doesn't know how to run it. Something has to slip somewhere or it will break and/or bend stuff.

I totally agree. Some guys can break water with no tools. Those people you can't help.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Stick racing is sooo cool!!! [Re: fourgearsavoy] #2648227
04/23/19 05:27 PM
04/23/19 05:27 PM
New Hampshire, USA
O
oldiron Offline
mopar
oldiron  Offline
mopar
O

New Hampshire, USA
Just watched, very cool.
I do like watching both the autos and sticks race. But there is no doubt the stick cars are more fun to watch. Anything can happen even after the launch.
Dry hops are hard on clutches, transmissions, rears, unibodies, springs,...........

66 Belvedere Vert, 4 Speed/Jerico, slowly, very slowly, getting faster - NA LD Wedge
New New Best: 10.56 @129
68 B'cuda 4 gear Jerico - Another New Best of 9.86 & Trying to slow up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4jDLKwd9Gs
Re: Stick racing is sooo cool!!! [Re: oldiron] #2648253
04/23/19 07:21 PM
04/23/19 07:21 PM
New Hampshire, USA
O
oldiron Offline
mopar
oldiron  Offline
mopar
O

New Hampshire, USA
Lost a friend, engine/car builder a few weeks back, Bill Baker. This is his stick shift dart. He liked RPMs too. His son Dave is driving,
Also cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gbmsjLXcKw

a good guy.

66 Belvedere Vert, 4 Speed/Jerico, slowly, very slowly, getting faster - NA LD Wedge
New New Best: 10.56 @129
68 B'cuda 4 gear Jerico - Another New Best of 9.86 & Trying to slow up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4jDLKwd9Gs
Re: Stick racing is sooo cool!!! [Re: oldiron] #2648480
04/24/19 02:22 PM
04/24/19 02:22 PM
N.E. Ohio
6bblFLASH Offline
master
6bblFLASH  Offline
master

N.E. Ohio
Didn't know he was the "engine guy"you were referring to that was ill.
Watched them race at Quaker for many years.
That old Dodge ramp truck and those high winding fast Darts. drive
Sorry to hear angel

70` Cuda`,440 6BBL Jerico,Dana 4.56 Still on 93 Pump Gas
9.87 @ 136/1.31-60ft.`09 Mopar Nationals PASSON PERFORMANCE "Stick-Shift" Champ!
2013 StickShift Challenge Winner@ Mopar Nationals!
Re: Stick racing is sooo cool!!! [Re: 6bblFLASH] #2649682
04/27/19 09:41 PM
04/27/19 09:41 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
I loved racing my four speed Dart in the late 70's and early 80's. I used the Hurst Super Shifter with the T handle and I could bang some gears with that setup. It was a 340 Dart running low 12's and high 11's. But I broke a lot more parts on that car then I have on my 10 second 63 with the Auto as I always put the go pedal on the floor as the clutch came out. So for a guy on a budget like me the auto is much easier on the drivetrain but I still love stick shift race cars and would love to drive one again. Ron

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3