Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
what's intriquing me is the airflow has remained constant (no clutch fan to slip) but something has deteriorated to where the same amt of air ain't no longer cutting it. Some tuning parameter could have been changed (you made no mention of that when asked). pump has been changed so if it was bad so no loss of water flow (unless the rad is partly clogged but as said it would for sure show up at higher RPM's if it was causing a problem). You have confirmed the temp with a mech gauge? Maybe it needs more radiator.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Shroud / fan clutch Q's [Re: RapidRobert] #2645521
04/15/19 08:56 PM
04/15/19 08:56 PM
Ct
W
Wirenut Offline OP
mopar
Wirenut  Offline OP
mopar
W

Ct
Originally Posted by RapidRobert
what's intriquing me is the airflow has remained constant (no clutch fan to slip) but something has deteriorated to where the same amt of air ain't no longer cutting it. Some tuning parameter could have been changed (you made no mention of that when asked). pump has been changed so if it was bad so no loss of water flow (unless the rad is partly clogged but as said it would for sure show up at higher RPM's if it was causing a problem). You have confirmed the temp with a mech gauge? Maybe it needs more radiator.

I think the variable is possibly 2 fold.
When I put this car on the road 12 to15 years ago everything was new . Engine was rebuilt radiator was new etc .. Now it’s got about 80 k on it.
the only other change was that at some point in the last 4-5 years I put a tstat In it. Never had one. I put one in to try and raise the temp over the road . The temp would sometimes never get above 140 ish.. well it didn’t really work as now over the road it will drop to 150-170 ish .

Re: Shroud / fan clutch Q's [Re: Wirenut] #2645551
04/15/19 10:02 PM
04/15/19 10:02 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Had the spring for the flapper valve in my exhaust manifold break and the valve wouldn't open. It cause all sorts of hot engine issues that took me forever to sort out.

If you have headers, probably not the issue, if you have manifolds make sure that valve is working and will open.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Shroud / fan clutch Q's [Re: Supercuda] #2645616
04/16/19 05:49 AM
04/16/19 05:49 AM
Ct
W
Wirenut Offline OP
mopar
Wirenut  Offline OP
mopar
W

Ct
Originally Posted by Supercuda
Had the spring for the flapper valve in my exhaust manifold break and the valve wouldn't open. It cause all sorts of hot engine issues that took me forever to sort out.

If you have headers, probably not the issue, if you have manifolds make sure that valve is working and will open.

That’s something I wouldn’t have thought of.
Valve was removed

Re: Shroud / fan clutch Q's [Re: Wirenut] #2645631
04/16/19 08:15 AM
04/16/19 08:15 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Trust me, I didn't think of it either. I found it by accident.

This was my 87 Diplomat I swapped a 360 into. Anyone that's ever seen the stock exhaust setup on that thing knows how well hidden the flapper is by the pre cat.

I replaced the fan clutch, water pump, belts, thermostat, cleaned the block with old school cooling system cleaner (the two part type).

I even found out that I could put the 87 pickup radiator, with HD cooling, into the Diplomat if I used the truck lower hose.

All of that did diddly and I was dropping the exhaust to check for pluggage when I saw the valve was loose and flopping.

Fixed the flapper and it all went away.

It took months of trying to figure it out.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Shroud / fan clutch Q's [Re: Supercuda] #2646409
04/18/19 10:14 AM
04/18/19 10:14 AM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
retard timing will make them heat up also.

make sure you have the correct # of vanes on the WP impeller

a/c wp = 6 vanes
non a/c wp = 8 vanes

a/c has 6 vanes with smaller pulley(spins faster) and pumps x amount at idle

non a/c has 8 vanes with larger pulley(spins slower) and pumps same x amount at idle

mixing the 8 vanes with small a/c pulleys can cause pump to cavitate at higher rpms and temps go up. or a 6 vane with large pulley it will not move enough water at idle.

make sure the lower hose is not sucking flat = add a spring inside lower hose.

make sure the fan clutch is spinning at correct speed all thru rpm range or just replace it with a new HD thermos clutch

just a couple things to check that I did not see mentioned.

good luck

Page 2 of 2 1 2