03/17/19 09:18 PM
Pattison Texas
CSK Offline
master
CSK  Offline
master

Pattison Texas
Originally Posted by radar
Ok so this morning I reassembled the valvetrain and top end and gave her another shot at the break in period.

Here’s a video. A couple minutes after this it started getting real hot so I shut her down, waited a bit, and added more antifreeze. Hopefully it just needed more burping.

I started it back up after waiting for it to cool some more and I saw the temp climb then come back down as the thermostat opened, then start slowly climbing again. It got to around 210 before I shut it down again. The RPMs were starting to hunt a little bit which was worrying. The AFR was reading around 9-10 which is PIG rich- I dunno if it even matters with no load on the motor? I did fix the floats so they’re not high any more. Dunno if twiddling the 4 idle screws would even make a difference with the throttle open to het 2500-3000 rpm.

Of course on shutdown I was treated to a little dieseling and a couple nice loud tailpipe backfires. I’m gonna call that normal for the throttle being open that far.

The rpm hunting does have me worried though. I’m going to re-check the rockers before continuing the break in. I did get to hear the idle for as long as it took me to jump out after it started and zing up the curb idle screw- if I ever get this monster running right it is gonna sound nasty!

https://youtu.be/ihPa2vJz7Ag

How is the dist timing set up, initial & total, vac adv hooked up ?

1968 Charger COLD A/C Hilborn EFI
512ci 9.7 compression, Stealth heads, 4.10 gear A518 ODtrans 4100lb,10.93 full street car trim
2020 T/A 392 Stock 11.79 @ 114.5

Re: Ate a couple lifters- never seen that before [Re: radar] #2633849
03/17/19 09:25 PM
03/17/19 09:25 PM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
Ok so this morning I reassembled the valvetrain and top end and gave her another shot at the break in period.

Here’s a video. A couple minutes after this it started getting real hot so I shut her down, waited a bit, and added more antifreeze. Hopefully it just needed more burping.

I started it back up after waiting for it to cool some more and I saw the temp climb then come back down as the thermostat opened, then start slowly climbing again. It got to around 210 before I shut it down again. The RPMs were starting to hunt a little bit which was worrying. The AFR was reading around 9-10 which is PIG rich- I dunno if it even matters with no load on the motor? I did fix the floats so they’re not high any more. Dunno if twiddling the 4 idle screws would even make a difference with the throttle open to het 2500-3000 rpm.

Of course on shutdown I was treated to a little dieseling and a couple nice loud tailpipe backfires. I’m gonna call that normal for the throttle being open that far.

The rpm hunting does have me worried though. I’m going to re-check the rockers before continuing the break in. I did get to hear the idle for as long as it took me to jump out after it started and zing up the curb idle screw- if I ever get this monster running right it is gonna sound nasty!

https://youtu.be/ihPa2vJz7Ag

Did you run the motor enough before the lifter failure to know if this problem is new since then, or could these issues have been there before too? RPM hunting can be a vacuum leak

Re: Ate a couple lifters- never seen that before [Re: BSB67] #2633854
03/17/19 09:42 PM
03/17/19 09:42 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
Happy Birthday RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track

Lincoln Nebraska
^^^ that is what I was getting at, that the 9-10:1 rich reading could be a gauge "reversal" from actually way too lean. Not my area, just thinking out loud

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Ate a couple lifters- never seen that before [Re: RapidRobert] #2633879
03/17/19 11:06 PM
03/17/19 11:06 PM
Philadelphia
R
radar Offline OP
top fuel
radar  Offline OP
top fuel
R

Philadelphia
Hi fellas!

I posted another thread with a clip of the idle sound. My valvetrain is sorted out for now. Break in almost done (5 mins left but had to fix a water leak)

I never worried about unloaded free rev afrs but I did go ahead and screw in the four corner idle screws to see if they still had any noticable effect at break in rpm. I started out with a B guitar string in the ifrs and the corner screws out 1.5 turns. I’ve found that restricting the IFR until best idle was achieved around 1.5 turns out has tended to give me a good balanced leanish cruise at light throttle with bigger motors. I don’t usually do much with the air bleeds unless the curve needs tweaking.

Anyway, it did respond to the corner screws and seemed much happier and didn’t hunt rpms anymore. It was reading 9s and now it’s up in the high 10s/low 11s on the meter. That’ll do the trick for break in. Once I get it to idle for more than 10 seconds I’ll really find out where the corner screws end up, then decide if I go looking for thicker guitar strings to restrict the IFRs. If I wasn’t so lazy I’d tap them and make little jets or just buy billet ones...

Last edited by radar; 03/17/19 11:09 PM. Reason: Typo
Re: Ate a couple lifters- never seen that before [Re: radar] #2633904
03/18/19 03:02 AM
03/18/19 03:02 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Online work
I Win
Cab_Burge  Online Work
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
By adding the IFR (if your installing them into the air bleeds and not the idle fuel feed channels)you are enrichening the mixture, remove them and shoot for 14.5+ AFR at high idle above 1500 RPM, use the secondary throttle blades also to get the RPM you want, not just the primary throttle blades tsk scope
I drill and tap both the idle fuel feed channels and the power valve fuel feed channels to #6x32 and use blank allen headed brass set screws that I drill out to the size I want to fine tune the AFR at idle and at slight power valve opening and then tune the high speed air bleeds sizes for the WOT AFR tuning thumbs
What year is your Dodge Pickup, 1954,55,56 or what year?
I had a 1955 D500 flatbed that I converted into a car hauler and sold it to a friend and later buying a 1957 D300 whup car hauler that I ended up replacing the entire cab with fenders from a 1960 pickup, motor and a D60HD rear end out of Class B motor home chassis realcrazy
If your carb is a four corner idle carb try from 1/4 to 1 full turn out from bottom on all four mixture screws and see what that gets you on the AFR, if it is primary only idle mixture blocks try from 1 to 1 1/2 turns out from bottom with the secondary throttle blades barely opened at idle thumbs
You really need to set the total timing as soon as possible, that can have a big effect on the idle quality and heating issues due to not enough advance, I shoot for 34 to 36 degrees total at or above when the mechanical advance is all in scope

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 03/18/19 03:08 AM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Ate a couple lifters- never seen that before [Re: Cab_Burge] #2633931
03/18/19 08:16 AM
03/18/19 08:16 AM
Philadelphia
R
radar Offline OP
top fuel
radar  Offline OP
top fuel
R

Philadelphia
No I never wire down the air bleeds I am talking about wiring down the idle feed restrictions. My oldschool 950 has jets in the bleeds but non adjustable ifrs. At least they’re in the low position which is what I’m used to.

Like I said above I only mess with the bleeds after doing the fuel and only to mess with the delivery curve like if it gets richer with rpm.

It’s a 54 dodge 3/4 ton that I shortened to 104” wheelbase.

Setting timing at 34° with a light was the first thing I did as soon as it fired and we brought the rpm up. I will see where initial falls after I get done break in and start to tune the idle.

I’ve been eying those fully adjustable metering blocks but I get along fine with my guitar strings- haven’t met a double pumper that wasn’t too rich for the street yet.

Interesting on the four corner tip- I thought 1/2 a turn out was an indicator that the IFRs needed to be smaller

Re: Ate a couple lifters- never seen that before [Re: radar] #2634057
03/18/19 01:35 PM
03/18/19 01:35 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Online work
I Win
Cab_Burge  Online Work
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA

I’ve been eying those fully adjustable metering blocks but I get along fine with my guitar strings- haven’t met a double pumper that wasn’t too rich for the street yet.

Interesting on the four corner tip- I thought 1/2 a turn out was an indicator that the IFRs needed to be smaller
iagree your correct about that thumbs
We learn by doing, correct work wrench grin

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Ate a couple lifters- never seen that before [Re: radar] #2634371
03/19/19 11:40 AM
03/19/19 11:40 AM
Philadelphia
R
radar Offline OP
top fuel
radar  Offline OP
top fuel
R

Philadelphia
Ok so other than being tricky to start with no choke on my carb I have a strong idle dialed in at 900. Throttle response is good. I have an exhaust leak at #2, my oil pressure gauge has a tiny leak and the rear main seal is weeping. Not too bad of a list to start working on. The valve train is quiet now too!

Thanks all for the help! Now I’m dealing with my non functioning transmission in another thread but it’s all good forward progress and now I have a running 512 which fits my custom chassis which is a leap in the right direction.

Re: Ate a couple lifters- never seen that before [Re: radar] #2634443
03/19/19 02:11 PM
03/19/19 02:11 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
Happy Birthday RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track

Lincoln Nebraska
Radar I'm glad that things are takeing a good turn for you cuz you certainly have had a run of bad luck here (eng & now trans).

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3