11/17/06 05:52 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

We need some picture updates from Aussie and Exit !!!

Hmm no update pictures, but it's as shiny as ever (of course it's been garaged in decent weather).

I've moved past the paint for now until she's running. next week we pull the engine and tranny out of the donor car.

Once it's moving under its own power, I can take it out in the sun and evaluate it. If the orange peel is too bad, I can always spend an afternoon flattening it out, then put 2 more thin coats on it then park it in the sun where it can harden. by that time the weather should be more suitable for painting too.

I'd like to see Aussiedriver's update pics though

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26299
11/17/06 05:54 PM
11/17/06 05:54 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Could you guys post pics of FIRST coats using rustoleum. I want to know how thin it looks.. thanks.

As has been said here before, first coats look terrible. I don't know what it is. Perhaps trying to color too much at once. My first coats are either uneven (with brightside) or too thick and orange peeley with rustoleum. I'd do the first coat, wetsand it flat, then do your 2 coats.

At this stage you should really try brightside or another marine poly. The shine is worth it.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26300
11/17/06 06:02 PM
11/17/06 06:02 PM
MD, USA
V
v8mirage Offline
v8mirage  Offline
V

MD, USA
Here is what my first coat of rustoleum looked like.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26301
11/17/06 08:05 PM
11/17/06 08:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here is my car just prior to the first coat of Black Metal Armour (an Aussie equivalent to Rustoleum)

And here is a pic of the first coat

As you can see, it's really thin and nothing like total coverage of the red underneath.

If I can get a couple of free hours this weekend, I'm hoping to be able to do a final sand and polish of the bonnet of my car. Here's hoping that I can do it without wrecking the paint this time....

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26302
11/17/06 10:28 PM
11/17/06 10:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Aussie, didn't realize your car was red before. What did you do for the jams, trunk jams, under the hood/bonnet? Did you end up spraying them or use a soft brush?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26303
11/18/06 05:22 AM
11/18/06 05:22 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I took the hood, the bootlid and the doors off to do everything properly when I used the Brightside. I sprayed the underside of the hood and bootlid, and I used the flat end of the roller to do the door/engine bay/boot jams. I later went over them with a small foam brush to flatten them out a bit.

Here are some shots of my dodgy hood detail from today.

My first polish was done with Poorboys SSR2.5 and a cutting pad. This shot was taken after I had used the SSR 2.5 with a light cutting pad. I'm using a random orbital polisher similar to a PC. Just in case anyone wants to know what polish looks like once it has broken down, this is it. When polishing you should always work the polish until it looks like this.

This is the swirl remover that I used. Because I'm not happy with the amount of orange peel in the paint I'm going to sand everything back down again and try and get the paint flatter. If I was going to continue the polishing process, I would next use a very mild swirl remover such as the Poorboys SSR1, and I would do two passes with it, the first with a light cutting pad, the second with a polishing pad.

Then I would use a proper polish on the paint with a polishing pad, then a second pass with a finishing pad. I would then seal the paint with a finessing pad and probably do about three or four passes with the sealant.

As you can see from the last shot, the paint still has a lot of orange peel in it, and there is still a little bit of swirling in the paint. If I had continued with the polishing I probably could have removed some more of the minor marks and been able to get a better reflection from the light. Using these type of halogens is a great help when polishing as a 'properly' polished car will have a crystal clear reflection of the light where you can see the halogen bulb. My car still has too much orange peel to get a reflection that good.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Exit1965] #26304
11/18/06 06:37 PM
11/18/06 06:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

another newby here

1st things charger dude your awesome for showing this method. I myself am new to body work/paint however my mother and grandfather(who used to work for gm in the assembly plant) have repainted numerous cars. My grandfather would kill me if he found out im doing this to my formy yet my mom is exited about the outcome.

iv read and reread this thread numerous times getting tips the technique and everything else i could from here. then dove head on into the project. started a test panel well 2 of em on being my blue fender and the 2nd being my headlight cover. i put maybe 4 coats on my headlight panel and about 6-7 on the fender and polished them up...not the greatest mind you just to get an idea and wowza.

heres what im starting with

just finished striping the car and sanding the drivers side a little bit ago when i decided i should sign up. went with sunset red from rusto on this so red to red minus the blue fender should be fun.

couple questions for everyone

i tend to sand all the way through the paint to the original color when wetsanding whats a good way to prevent this.

also with body lines same problem with the formy theres alot of sharp edges any ideas?

the other thing is i havent been painting long but from what i remeber with enamel paints your not supposed to wet sand the final coat just buff the hell outa it. i tried this with my headlight panel and the shine is amazing at an agle however head on its hazy

anywho rollers unite

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Exit1965] #26305
11/18/06 08:04 PM
11/18/06 08:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

what do you guys think will happen if i spray rustoleum on some tha ti rolled. im doing my top black and the rest red, but its small areas so ifigured i could just spray it to save time...but i already have like two light coats of rustoleum on there rolled on.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26306
11/18/06 08:15 PM
11/18/06 08:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OK here are a few more shots after I did a second wet sand to try and remove some more of the orange peel.

This first shot is after polishing the hood with a fixed speed random orbital polisher, a generic pad that came with the polisher and the TurtleWax swirl remover that Charger used.

You can see how little the polish and polisher has achieved, specially in the bottom left of the picture. I spent about 20 mins polishing that bit.

The next pic is after polishing a different section of the hood with a variable speed random orbital, with a cutting pad and with the SSR2.5.

You can see a huge difference to the first pic and the orange peel has almost completely gone. When I did this section of the hood, I had the polisher going flat out. Using a high speed on the polisher is a really important step because the good swirl removers need a fair amount of heat for the polish to start breaking down and do it's job properly.

This last pic is sort of a progression pic.

The top of the pic is of the sanded hood, before any polish has been applied. The reflection of the garage and the good cloud reflections are from the bit that I used the SSR2.5 on and the bit to the left of that where the cloud reflections get fuzzy is where I used the TurtleWax.

As you can see, there is a huge difference between using a high end polish and good equipment compared to the generic stuff. This is the area where you can turn a roller job into something that looks a little more like a showroom finish.

Last edited by Aussie Driver; 11/19/06 07:23 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26307
11/18/06 08:52 PM
11/18/06 08:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thats why i have all 3m products.

rubbing compound 06063
swirl remover 06064
finesse-it finishing material 05928

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26308
11/18/06 09:26 PM
11/18/06 09:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

thats why i have all 3m products.

rubbing compound 06063
swirl remover 06064
finesse-it finishing material 05928

Yep, any of the high-end polishes will work wonders on our paint jobs. Most of us have our favourites, but in reality any of the progressive polishing lines from a high-end brand will all produce excellent results.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26309
11/18/06 11:32 PM
11/18/06 11:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

dang aussie! how much is that poorboy stuff and where could i find it? also, what was ur final wetsand, and did you immedietly use the swirl remover after the final wetsand or did u use some rubbing compound? what exactly were your steps..? i wonder how well the ssr stuff would work with a fixed speed orbital buffer, since thats all i have cause it looks so nice but i dont want to go spend 100+ on one.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26310
11/19/06 05:32 PM
11/19/06 05:32 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Aussie Driver -- awesome job man.

you've for sure taken it to the next level, that looks awesome, i know it's possible to achieve a "factory" paintjob with this method, to be honest i'm just lazy, and i had this huge desire to my charger, i painted my car start to finish in 3 days, kinda rushed it, but i just HAD to drive my car!!!! it's really not HOW you put the paint on (spray, or roll on) but what you do after the only reason i suggested using the turtle wax polishing compound is because alot if not all the people trying this method have never painted a car at all, and i just tried to put together a recipe to achieve good results for the beginner, but if you have more "advanced" skills there is nothing from stopping you from getting a awesome paintjob using a roller!!! the BEST part is doing it yourself, for very little $ to boot!!! It all pays off in the end when you step back and look at the finished product, that's when you realize that you painted a car with a roller, and let's say $50!!!! You get about 1 million times (give or take!!!) more satisifaction painting your car yourself than having someone else doing it for you, not to mention you have the know-how to fix any future damage to the paint if something happens down the road like it has to me many times.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26311
11/19/06 06:49 PM
11/19/06 06:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wouldn't say that I have done anything special or added anything to the process. My prep work still needs a fair amount of improvement, my painting is ok, and my wet sanding skills could be better as well. But as you said, once you get the paint on the car, with a little extra effort in polishing (and some high-end products and equipment certainly help) it is possible to achieve some really impressive results.

And the best part with the polishing is that every time the car gets a re-polish, the paint will get a little bit flatter and look that little bit better.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26312
11/19/06 09:22 PM
11/19/06 09:22 PM
Ohio
P
pdqvsix Offline
pdqvsix  Offline
P

Ohio
I've been lazy since finishing the painting process and that's all that's on the car is rolled-on Rustoleum gloss white paint and i get complements on the car just about everywhere i go. I have told some that i did it with a roller and they are surprised how nice it looks.One of these days i'll do the final wet sanding and polishing and waxing.

I just can't give enough thanks to 69Chargeryeehaa for sharing this technique with all of us.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26313
11/20/06 12:13 PM
11/20/06 12:13 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Aussie Driver - well you are doing a mazda!!!, it's like a go-cart, when you do a 19' charger, it takes alot of time. i started doing the roof, that's polished nicely, but then i fugured this would add about 2 days of work extra before i could , and i've been looking for a 69 charger for about 10yrs, finally got one and could'nt wait until i could drive it, i built that whole car in 3 weeks, including mechanical and paint/interior, that's what alot of 16hr days, and me doing the pee-pee dance everytime i saw the car just dying to drive it!!!
but your paint looks really good, i'd say my car looks in between your 2 pics, not super glossy, but not dull at all, plus your painting black, and i'm painting orange, the lighter the color, the more forgiving it is.

here's a close up pic:

i did all the polishing i could in 1 day, then i started putting the car back together, bumpers, front end, mouldings, trim, handles, mirriors, ect.... that took me a solid day, next day i was

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: pdqvsix] #26314
11/20/06 12:15 PM
11/20/06 12:15 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I've been lazy since finishing the painting process and that's all that's on the car is rolled-on Rustoleum gloss white paint and i get complements on the car just about everywhere i go. I have told some that i did it with a roller and they are surprised how nice it looks.One of these days i'll do the final wet sanding and polishing and waxing.

I just can't give enough thanks to 69Chargeryeehaa for sharing this technique with all of us.

your welcome

how about a pic?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26315
11/20/06 12:28 PM
11/20/06 12:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow Aussie, that is insane! That does look as good, if not better than a factory BC/CC job! I was at the Honda/Acura dealer here in Canada and the orange peel in the paint was evident, big bockly orange peel. Even though there is some orange peel on yours, it isn't as big/blocky as
the ones I saw at the dealer!

Definitely show us the final paint.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26316
11/20/06 02:25 PM
11/20/06 02:25 PM
Texas
T
texczech Offline
texczech  Offline
T

Texas
I would like a few more details on your final work. Did you sand with 1000 or 1500 or something like that? Or did you just start compounding? then what pads did you use with the 06063, 06064 and 05928? I need some guidance on what to try when the painting is done and the sanding buffing/polishing begins.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: texczech] #26317
11/20/06 03:56 PM
11/20/06 03:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My process was to wetsand with 1200 and then with 1500 to remove the orange peel and to get the paint nice and flat as well as smooth as possible.

I used the Poorboys SSR2.5 for the cutting along with a Wolfgang 6.5" yellow cutting pad. I then experimented with the SSR2.5 on a Wolfgang 6.5" orange light cutting pad for a second pass and this gave the paint a more glass like finish.

I use a random orbital polisher which has similar specs to a Porter Cable 7424. I spread the polish onto the panel with the polisher turned off, then I turned it on to the lowest speed setting to even the polish out for a minute or so, then I cranked up the speed on the polisher to max and worked in the polish until almost all of the residue had disappeared.

When I did this I only had the single cutting pad and this really slowed up the polishing as the pad became so clogged that I had to wash it and then rinse it after completing each section of the hood. I was working on fairly small areas of the hood, basically I polished about a quarter of the hood each time, then I'd wash/rinse the cutting pad and then do the next area.

I have ordered a second cutting pad and some Poorboys SSR3 which is described as a "heavy duty compound" compared to the SSR2.5 which is a "medium abrasive". Theoretically the SSR3 should produce a slightly flatter finish and do it faster than the SSR2.5. It should arrive in the next day or so, and once I have had a chance to play with it I'll post up some more pics of those results.

I'm still experimenting on my exact polishing sequence, but at the moment I'm leaning towards using either the SSR3 or SSR2.5 with a Wolfgang yellow cutting pad, then the SSR2.5 with a Wolfgang orange light cutting pad, followed by a couple of passes of SSR1 with a Wolfgang white polishing pad to improve the clarity of the reflection.

Then I'm not sure if I will seal it with the Poorboys EX-P sealant or the Nattys Blue wax or if I'll go 'Zaino' on the paint and use Z5Pro (2 layers) followed by Z3 (three or four layers). Decisions, decisions...

Page 93 of 159 1 2 91 92 93 94 95 158 159