M
MOPARMIKE69 Offline
master
MOPARMIKE69  Offline
master
M

Nashville, TN
Originally Posted By hemi70se
I think it's way easier to paint the bottom side of the car in the factory primer overspray method. It IS how they came new! No time consuming masking, and heck of $ savings in paint materials! I want to puke everytime I see a car full painted body color underneath. The ironic part is after restoring it incorrectly they add paint dabs and parts tags to detail it up. Why bother, it's incorrect from the get-go!

EXACTLY! Well said!

69 Road Runner vert
69 GTX hard top
70 Road Runner 4 speed
70 Hemi Cuda vert
Re: Body color or ????? [Re: MOPARMIKE69] #2628884
03/04/19 10:17 PM
03/04/19 10:17 PM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline
super stock
AAR#2  Offline
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
Originally Posted By MOPARMIKE69
I think it's way easier to paint the bottom side of the car in the factory primer overspray method. It IS how they came new! No time consuming masking, and heck of $ savings in paint materials! I want to puke everytime I see a car full painted body color underneath. The ironic part is after restoring it incorrectly they add paint dabs and parts tags to detail it up. Why bother, it's incorrect from the get-go!

EXACTLY! Well said!

Good to see no shortage of strong opinion on this thread, do you boys feel the same about ALL the other incorrect feature you place on your cars?? Clear coat paint, electronic ignition, radial tires, how about the felt on rubber window stoppers or clamps with original markings. See, now I want to puke!!
Good to see nothing less than perfection is what you all drive

Re: Body color or ????? [Re: AAR#2] #2628954
03/05/19 01:17 AM
03/05/19 01:17 AM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Originally Posted By AAR#2

EXACTLY! Well said!

Good to see no shortage of strong opinion on this thread, do you boys feel the same about ALL the other incorrect feature you place on your cars?? Clear coat paint, electronic ignition, radial tires, how about the felt on rubber window stoppers or clamps with original markings. See, now I want to puke!!

My car does not have any of things

Re: Body color or ????? [Re: nobrakesneeded] #2628995
03/05/19 02:54 AM
03/05/19 02:54 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Niether does mine.

The body and paint of a car is it's foundation, if you get that part correct you can change most anything else that bolts on fairly easily, whether that be a small item like hose clamps, or a major item like an engine swap, it's easy to go back to stock if you want.

What hemi70se said makes sense, when you have a car with a major incorrect item like a perfectly painted floor pan (which is not original, it's custom), adding a bunch of production line detail items, inspection markings, paint daubs, etc. is a bit silly.

If you want a customized car, build a custom car, if you want an original O.E. correct car, build it, nobody is knocking either one. But if you mix the two together you can expect mixed reactions and opinions if asked, just the way it is.

Quote:

Before you get too worked up about the responses here keep in mind it's a restoration question on the restoration forum. shruggy

Re: Body color or ????? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #2629055
03/05/19 10:43 AM
03/05/19 10:43 AM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline
super stock
AAR#2  Offline
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Niether does mine.

The body and paint of a car is it's foundation, if you get that part correct you can change most anything else that bolts on fairly easily, whether that be a small item like hose clamps, or a major item like an engine swap, it's easy to go back to stock if you want.

What hemi70se said makes sense, when you have a car with a major incorrect item like a perfectly painted floor pan (which is not original, it's custom), adding a bunch of production line detail items, inspection markings, paint daubs, etc. is a bit silly.

If you want a customized car, build a custom car, if you want an original O.E. correct car, build it, nobody is knocking either one. But if you mix the two together you can expect mixed reactions and opinions if asked, just the way it is.

Quote:

Before you get too worked up about the responses here keep in mind it's a restoration question on the restoration forum. shruggy

Scott, I do understand, and no argument that the correct way to finish is as described with primer and overspray. I think what gets me most is todays anonymity that comes with the internet and everyones over the top opinions and lack of civility. There are ways to express an opinion without adding a touch of 'rude'.

Re: Body color or ????? [Re: AAR#2] #2629098
03/05/19 12:37 PM
03/05/19 12:37 PM
Nashville, TN
M
MOPARMIKE69 Offline
master
MOPARMIKE69  Offline
master
M

Nashville, TN
Niether does mine.

Quote:

Scott, I do understand, and no argument that the correct way to finish is as described with primer and overspray. I think what gets me most is todays anonymity that comes with the internet and everyones over the top opinions and lack of civility. There are ways to express an opinion without adding a touch of 'rude'.

I see nothing rude on this thread. It's pretty straight forward. Like already said it's either original correct or it is custom.
AAR#2 Yes I do have original down to the correct markings, nuts and bolts on all the cars I build. They are as correct as humanly possible and if someone can prove I am wrong then I change it to the most correct it can be.
I appreciate all Mopars no matter what the condition. But if you are wanting information about these cars on the restoration forum, that's what you are going to get.

69 Road Runner vert
69 GTX hard top
70 Road Runner 4 speed
70 Hemi Cuda vert
Re: Body color or ????? [Re: MOPARMIKE69] #2629117
03/05/19 01:17 PM
03/05/19 01:17 PM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline
super stock
AAR#2  Offline
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
Niether does mine.

Quote:

I see nothing rude on this thread. It's pretty straight forward. Like already said it's either original correct or it is custom.
AAR#2 Yes I do have original down to the correct markings, nuts and bolts on all the cars I build. They are as correct as humanly possible and if someone can prove I am wrong then I change it to the most correct it can be.
I appreciate all Mopars no matter what the condition. But if you are wanting information about these cars on the restoration forum, that's what you are going to get.

I think the point is being missed, I realize it’s the restoration forum, I realize right from wrong and not only support it but live for it. But I also realize that voicing an opinion that forces a violent body reaction (such as puking) to what one would choose to do, or not do to their car may be a bit extreme.

Final post on the matter

Re: Body color or ????? [Re: A12] #2629507
03/06/19 08:43 AM
03/06/19 08:43 AM
usa
L
lewtot184 Offline
master
lewtot184  Offline
master
L

usa
Originally Posted by A12
Originally Posted by lewtot184
I have a '65 coronet and a '69 coronet r/t. both have the original underbody paint. looks to be a flat black to me. both have some body color overspray showing.

Wouldn't by chance both are LA assembly plant cars?
the '65 coronet came from LA. the '69 coronet r/t was lynch road,...I think?

Re: Body color or ????? [Re: lewtot184] #2629519
03/06/19 09:57 AM
03/06/19 09:57 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
On a related note, most Mopars received undercoating in the wheel well areas after paint. The exception being most Los Angeles plant cars which only received undercoating in the rear wheel well areas, the fronts were typically just sprayed with some matt black paint to mask the body color from showing around the front wheels when viewed from the side, similar or the same paint as used to mask the radiator core support behind the grille.

Re: Body color or ????? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #2629605
03/06/19 12:30 PM
03/06/19 12:30 PM
usa
L
lewtot184 Offline
master
lewtot184  Offline
master
L

usa
my 65 coronet doesn't have undercoat in the front wheel wells but my 69 does.

Re: Body color or ????? [Re: lewtot184] #2768983
04/28/20 08:01 AM
04/28/20 08:01 AM
Salem, NY
69gtxvert Offline
69gtxvert  Offline

Salem, NY
A little late to the party here but a follow up undercoating question....If a car was undercoated, was it done after the gas tank was installed? Should the bottom of the trunk floor just be the dark gray dip/primer color, regardless of the undercoating originally done?

Re: Body color or ????? [Re: 69gtxvert] #2768992
04/28/20 08:29 AM
04/28/20 08:29 AM
Az
69hemibeep Offline
pro stock
69hemibeep  Offline
pro stock

Az
Originally Posted by 69gtxvert
A little late to the party here but a follow up undercoating question....If a car was undercoated, was it done after the gas tank was installed? Should the bottom of the trunk floor just be the dark gray dip/primer color, regardless of the undercoating originally done?
Mine had no undercoat above the tank.

1969 Hemi Roadrunner 2nd owner
Re: Body color or ????? [Re: 69hemibeep] #2769020
04/28/20 10:09 AM
04/28/20 10:09 AM
Mass
C
charge70 Offline
mopar
charge70  Offline
mopar
C

Mass
My brothers 70 Charger was grey dip coat above the gas tank.

1970 Dodge Charger R/T S.E. 1969 Dodge Dart GTS 440 M-Code 1970 Dodge Charger 500 383/4-speed w/A.C.
Re: Body color or ????? [Re: charge70] #2769027
04/28/20 10:26 AM
04/28/20 10:26 AM
Salem, NY
69gtxvert Offline
69gtxvert  Offline

Salem, NY
Thank you, folks.

Re: Body color or ????? [Re: 69gtxvert] #2769098
04/28/20 01:13 PM
04/28/20 01:13 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
I'm pretty sure the undercoating was sprayed right before "body drop". (where the suspension, engine/trans, exhaust and rear end were installed) The brake/fuel lines are covered in undercoating as well as exhaust heat shields on E-bodies. There would most likely be undercoating overspray on the sides of the gas tank. I think Dave Walden's Valiant had undercoating on the seat track bolts/nuts indicating that the interior was complete before undercoating and body drop.

Page 2 of 2 1 2