03/01/19 05:37 PM
03/01/19 05:37 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Ok so my 39 Dodge pickup is nearing the driving point. I need to figure out a way to be able to lock this thing up.
I'm using the original door latches, and inner and outer handles. The only outside lock is on the passenger door, and my lock is pretty well junk. The screw that hold the lock to the door is very questionable about it coming out. There is no lock on the driver door.

I know the driver door lock was an option in the 50s trucks, but what about the 39-47 truck? I can buy a new pair of door locks with keys. I would have to drill the hole in the outside skin, and I would do that if I knew there was a provision for the door lock on the driver door latch and I could get that driver door lock to work. Anyone been there and done that?

My next option would be to install a remote door lock setup, but I've heard horror stories about buying cheap ones. The question is, which remote door locks are the "cheap ones" and which ones are the good ones? I'm open for suggestions here.

A 3rd option is I can buy door handles with locks in them. In the locked position, the handle doesn't do anything but turn. Then when you unlock it, the handle functions as it should. This sounds a bit scary to me, what if the unlock doesn't work someday?

I know the door locks won't prevent someone from stealing the truck (I have other things in place to assist with that), but it will prevent some fool from thinking he can sit in my truck if he wants to, just because he can open the door. Keeping that fool out could save me from an assault with intent to kill arrest charge. Gene

Re: Lets talk door locks on 40s & 50s Mopars [Re: poorboy] #2627648
03/01/19 07:42 PM
03/01/19 07:42 PM
AZ
Mike P Offline
pro stock
Mike P  Offline
pro stock

AZ
".....A 3rd option is I can buy door handles with locks in them. In the locked position, the handle doesn't do anything but turn. Then when you unlock it, the handle functions as it should. This sounds a bit scary to me, what if the unlock doesn't work someday?....?

Not trying to be a smart ass .....but you walk around and unlock the other side?

By the way who makes/sells those handles ?

Last edited by Mike P; 03/01/19 07:43 PM.

1957 Plymouth (Hemi, Dual Quads, A833 4 Speed 9 1/4 w 4.10) Sold
1937 Dodge Pickup (Hemi, 6X2 intake, 46RH, Dana 60 w 4.56) Sold
1968 Plymouth Valiant 2dr sedan (354 HEMI, 46RH w/4.30 gears)
Re: Lets talk door locks on 40s & 50s Mopars [Re: Mike P] #2627653
03/01/19 08:20 PM
03/01/19 08:20 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted By Mike P
".....A 3rd option is I can buy door handles with locks in them. In the locked position, the handle doesn't do anything but turn. Then when you unlock it, the handle functions as it should. This sounds a bit scary to me, what if the unlock doesn't work someday?....?

By the way who makes/sells those handles ?

Good question! I saw them on ebay, last night when I was looking at 47 Dodge truck parts. Seems they were around $100 for the pair, about the cost of replacement outside handles. Gene

Re: Lets talk door locks on 40s & 50s Mopars [Re: poorboy] #2627930
03/02/19 03:04 PM
03/02/19 03:04 PM
British Columbia, Canada
Old Ray Offline
enthusiast
Old Ray  Offline
enthusiast

British Columbia, Canada
Hey Gene, .... or you could think way outside the box. This is on my shop truck with the droopy door handles. The first door prototype only took two weeks to do.

Re: Lets talk door locks on 40s & 50s Mopars [Re: poorboy] #2628519
03/04/19 12:36 AM
03/04/19 12:36 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Old Ray, I've installed modern door handles, latches, locks, and power window setups in many old Mopar cars & trucks. My 48 Plymouth coupe has all the latches, locks, and handles from a Dakota in it.

This truck actually has fully functioning original handles, latches and window mechanisms, The only thing that doesn't work is the outside door lock. I suspect installing a new lock, which is available, would work well, there is just no lock on the drivers side which is my biggest concern. Using as much of the original stuff as I already am on this truck, is pretty far out of the box for me.

Pictures of my 48 Plymouth coupe, before, during, and after Dakota door handles. I have in process pictures if any one wants to see them.
Gene

48 plymouth 003.JPG48 plymouth 058.JPGwhite & blue coupe 1.jpg
Re: Lets talk door locks on 40s & 50s Mopars [Re: poorboy] #2628552
03/04/19 02:32 AM
03/04/19 02:32 AM
moparpollack Offline
Lil Herman
moparpollack  Offline
Lil Herman

The drivers door locks by pushing the handle forward or back. The passenger side locks with a key. But you knew that I would find the dimensions of the original handle and call these guys:

http://www.carolinacustom.com/pages/main_pages/online_store_page/online_store_page.jsp

They had parts to get my plymouth pick up doors working.

56 Plaza 63 D100 step side 67 Coronet, 68 Roadrunner, 69 Super Bees, 69 Coronet 500 convertible, 70 Roadrunner Post, 79 D150 360, and a severe case of Mopar a,d,d
Re: Lets talk door locks on 40s & 50s Mopars [Re: poorboy] #2628699
03/04/19 03:03 PM
03/04/19 03:03 PM
NB, Canada
Mirada 80 Offline
Mirada 80  Offline

NB, Canada
Have you considered a keyless entry kit. That is the route I am taking on my ‘55 chrysler something like this kit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Power-Central-Lock-Kit-Car-Remote-Control-Conversion-Keyless-Entry-Set/322960452243?hash=item4b31f16a93:g:ahwAAOSwzRlaQkR1

Keep your Mopar all Mopar
Re: Lets talk door locks on 40s & 50s Mopars [Re: poorboy] #2628730
03/04/19 04:10 PM
03/04/19 04:10 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Moparpollack, Everything on my truck works except the outside lock on the passenger side, and I can get a new lock and key for it. What I'm mostly after is getting a lock on the drivers door. It would be very hard for this tall, fat old man to craw across the bucket seats and the shifter like I would have to do if there wasn't a way to unlock the drivers door from outside the truck.

Mirada 80, Does that keyless entry attach to the door latch or is it independent of anything on the vehicle? I have no idea if the drivers door even has a provision to add an outside lock. I know the next series of Dodge trucks had the driver side outside lock as an option, but I have not heard of that option for this series of trucks.
picture of the truck, and a picture of the inside. Gene

003.JPG005.JPG
Re: Lets talk door locks on 40s & 50s Mopars [Re: poorboy] #2628769
03/04/19 05:20 PM
03/04/19 05:20 PM
NB, Canada
Mirada 80 Offline
Mirada 80  Offline

NB, Canada
These kits don’t have any keys or tumbler lock. They are actuators that lock and unlock the doors with a keyless remote, much like most modern cars do. This option would eliminate any need for keyed locks added to the out side of your your truck. By the way your truck looks fantastic. I love it.

Re: Lets talk door locks on 40s & 50s Mopars [Re: poorboy] #2628891
03/04/19 10:44 PM
03/04/19 10:44 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Thanks for the complement on the truck.
Do the actuators connect to the door latches, or what do they do to lock the truck? Most of the modern stuff I've seen have a rod the hooks to the latch part of the door and the actuator pulls or pushes the rod to lock or unlock. The passenger door has a rod an actuator can hook up to, but I don't know if there is anything on the driver door latch that a rod can be hooked to.

It would be great if I had to drill a hole through the side of the door and through the door frame and a pin from the actuator passed through both holes to lock the door with a pin. Gene

Re: Lets talk door locks on 40s & 50s Mopars Update! [Re: poorboy] #2629797
03/06/19 10:03 PM
03/06/19 10:03 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
OK I did some research. The 39-47 Dodge truck door locks have a square rod that the key turns. That square rod turns a cylinder inside the latch assembly that locks and unlocks the door.

The remote setups all operate by pulling (or pushing) a lever on the latch with a rod or cable. For those to work on these door latches, one would have to insert the square drive, figure out how to hold it in place, then add the lever for the rod to attach to so it could pull up and down and turn the cylinder in the latch assembly.

It sounds like the easiest direction for me to go is with the outside door handles with the keys in them. The problem with those are the handles with the locks are all intended for the left side of the truck, and the current manufacturer (apparently the only manufacturer) is not providing key codes for the locks. The handles can be used on both sides, but there is no easy way to know both locks will be, or can be keyed alike. I could do the left handle with the lock, and then replace the original lock on the passenger side with a NOS lock and key, maybe the passenger lock can be keyed to match the handle lock, but likely I'll end up with different locks for each door either direction I go.

Its just never easy. Gene

Re: Lets talk door locks on 40s & 50s Mopars Update! [Re: poorboy] #2629809
03/06/19 10:27 PM
03/06/19 10:27 PM
NB, Canada
Mirada 80 Offline
Mirada 80  Offline

NB, Canada
poorboy it is too bad the remote locks won’t work. That are a cheap and clean way to lock the doors. I know on my 55 Chrysler the locks have rods that run down from the lock to the latch. So adapting the actuators would be easier. Is the drivers door latch even capable to be locked?

Re: Lets talk door locks on 40s & 50s Mopars Update! [Re: Mirada 80] #2629851
03/07/19 02:03 AM
03/07/19 02:03 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
The door latch is kind of tucked back inside the door, and is pretty well hidden by the window track, but it appears as though there is a hole in the latch housing at about the proper location for the lock square to go through, the presence of the hole in the housing does not mean there is anything inside of the hole to make the latch lock. The door lock sits in a tube that is welded to the door frame. The lock is held in place in the tube by a set screw accessed through a hole in the side of the door frame. My door has a hole in the door frame in about the correct location for the set screw. I can not see if the lock mounting tube is welded inside the door on the driver door on my truck, because I have all the glass and window tracks in place. Its possible Dodge installed the lock holding tube inside the door frame and installed the lever inside of the latch on all the trucks, but that sounds like a lot of work and expence on the part of Dodge, for something that wasn't intended to be used. My friend has a 47 cab at his place that doesn't have any glass or window tracks in it. I think I will be over there tomorrow, if I remember I will look at his driver door latch and see what I can find.

What we don't know is weather or not either of the two cabs that are available for inspection have their original doors on them, or for that matter are the actual year of production the paper work says they are. Should both cabs happen to have their original drivers doors, we still don't know if the provision for the door locks may have been added during the later years of production, or if the provision was always present. The two cabs supposedly represent both ends of the production time line. There isn't much info available for these trucks. Gene

Re: Lets talk door locks on 40s & 50s Mopars Update! [Re: poorboy] #2629887
03/07/19 09:39 AM
03/07/19 09:39 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
gene, since the inside handle locked the driver's door, instead of thinking about using those remote locking mechanisms to work on the latch, is there some way they could be attached to activate the inside handle instead ? how does the inside handle connect to the latch assembly ?
just thinking out loud here.
beer

Re: Lets talk door locks on 40s & 50s Mopars Update! [Re: moparx] #2630198
03/08/19 12:53 AM
03/08/19 12:53 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Moparx, I never gave any thought to connecting to the inside handle, I will have to look into that. Space is at a premium where the inside latch is bolted to the door frame, but I might be able to connect an electric actuator somehow.

I did get a chance to look at my buddies drivers door this afternoon, there are holes in the door frame that would provide access for the door lock cylinder to fit into the tube, but there is no tube present on his door frame. There is very little access to the latch area, the door frame is completely enclosed in that area, the nearest opening is nearly 10" away. One would have to cut the inside door frame away to gain access to drill the outer skin for a lock hole. The good news would be that at least by cutting an access hole, a guy could weld in the lock cylinder holding tube before he welded the hole back up. The bad news is, this access hole would be outside of the area covered by any door panel. I'm not cutting my door to install a lock tube on the driver door.

The options are getting fewer. Gene