11/02/06 01:07 AM
11/02/06 01:07 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I painted the doors and fenders tonight, and about 5-10 minutes after the first roll, I rolled back over them to get rid of any remaining bubbles and to smooth out the runs that were developing where the bubbles popped.

Now that the part I painted last night has dried, I realize it looks very nice! The orange peel is only a tad worse than the modern American car. It's too bad for the little imperfections though, or I wouldn't wetsand it at all. Here are some pictures of how the back half dried. If I can get away with it, I'll do only 'spot' wetsanding on the sides of the car. The trunk lid and roof might take more work though.

the color is a bit off in this picture, had the wrong exposure setting on the camera.

The pics do not quite do the shine justice.. compared to rustoleum it's much more of a wet shine; with the rustoleum I used to have to find the right angle to see a shine, with this stuff it just looks wet from any angle. Hopefully with good waxing it'll stay that way.

Last edited by Exit1965; 11/02/06 01:11 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26199
11/02/06 01:50 PM
11/02/06 01:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

here is my pics and i am using the 3m fperfect-it 3000 rubbing compound

heres a part i havent done yet

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26200
11/02/06 02:27 PM
11/02/06 02:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

MyBuick - Those pics are the final finish? They look great, but it does seem a bit flat in the first picture. I'm not sure if its the colour black or something, but it doesn't seem to have much depth in the paint. There's shine, but barely any depth. You used brightside right?

How many coats did you do?

Last edited by Mage33; 11/02/06 02:28 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26201
11/02/06 03:25 PM
11/02/06 03:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well there has been a lot of success stories using this process, but mine is not one of them. And I am begining to wonder if it is because I am rolling paint on my fiberglass dune buggy body.

With over a month and a half of painting, drying, wet sanding, and now buffing, I still do not have a hard, car like finish. I can take the edge of my finger nail and rub it over the finish and leave a marred surface behind. I am not scratching the paint but marring the surface.

Just about any type of rough touch will leave lines on the glossy surface. Something as soft as a finger nail will do this. Even the end of a match stick. A slight buffing will then remove the marred surface.

If anyone has experienced this before and knows a solution to stop this, please pass it on. Only thing I know to do is sand and repaint with something else. Maybe an epoxy finish this time. However, I am concerned with a possible reaction between the paint on the buggy now and a different paint. Or will I need to sand down again to the gel coat.

This $50 paint job is costing me hundereds of dollars in agony and painting time in trying to solve the problem.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26202
11/02/06 03:46 PM
11/02/06 03:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

If you have only used a rubbing compound, then you will get a lot of hazing on your paint. Your process should be something like;

- Rubbing compound using a light cutting pad,
- A swirl remover using a light cutting pad then a second pass with a polishing pad,
- A polish with a polishing pad and then a second pass with a finishing pad,
- Then a sealant (either a wax or a synthetic sealant) with a finessing pad. {And do at least 2 passes with your chosen sealant}.

Work in each polish until it has almost disappeared, then wipe off any remaining residue from each stage with a microfiber cloth.

If you do the steps carefully and in order then there is no reason why you can't get a finish as good as Marq's.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26203
11/02/06 05:54 PM
11/02/06 05:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

MyBuick - Those pics are the final finish? They look great, but it does seem a bit flat in the first picture. I'm not sure if its the colour black or something, but it doesn't seem to have much depth in the paint. There's shine, but barely any depth. You used brightside right?

How many coats did you do?

i used 12 coats of rustolium gloss black.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26204
11/02/06 06:06 PM
11/02/06 06:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

If you have only used a rubbing compound, then you will get a lot of hazing on your paint. Your process should be something like;

- Rubbing compound using a light cutting pad,
- A swirl remover using a light cutting pad then a second pass with a polishing pad,
- A polish with a polishing pad and then a second pass with a finishing pad,
- Then a sealant (either a wax or a synthetic sealant) with a finessing pad. {And do at least 2 passes with your chosen sealant}.

Work in each polish until it has almost disappeared, then wipe off any remaining residue from each stage with a microfiber cloth.

If you do the steps carefully and in order then there is no reason why you can't get a finish as good as Marq's.

great for helping me i ordered the swirl and polish from http://macsalesco.com/index.php and getting it shipped for next week then i will finish this.

thanks again

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26205
11/02/06 07:05 PM
11/02/06 07:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

i used 12 coats of rustolium gloss black.

So it appears rustolium does not give as much depth as Brightside... Excellent job nonetheless.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26206
11/02/06 08:38 PM
11/02/06 08:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello, I am trying this method on my 65 mustang. I am using the rustoleum stops rust and pure mineral spirits mixture. What looks wrong in the picture? I know there was some hair in the paint so I have to prepare the surface better when I will try again tomorrow

3036587-ebay022.jpg (247 downloads)
Last edited by tylerdru; 11/02/06 08:41 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26207
11/02/06 10:54 PM
11/02/06 10:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Well there has been a lot of success stories using this process, but mine is not one of them. And I am begining to wonder if it is because I am rolling paint on my fiberglass dune buggy body.

With over a month and a half of painting, drying, wet sanding, and now buffing, I still do not have a hard, car like finish. I can take the edge of my finger nail and rub it over the finish and leave a marred surface behind. I am not scratching the paint but marring the surface.

Just about any type of rough touch will leave lines on the glossy surface. Something as soft as a finger nail will do this. Even the end of a match stick. A slight buffing will then remove the marred surface.

If anyone has experienced this before and knows a solution to stop this, please pass it on. Only thing I know to do is sand and repaint with something else. Maybe an epoxy finish this time. However, I am concerned with a possible reaction between the paint on the buggy now and a different paint. Or will I need to sand down again to the gel coat.

This $50 paint job is costing me hundereds of dollars in agony and painting time in trying to solve the problem.

You using brightside or rustolium?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26208
11/03/06 12:07 AM
11/03/06 12:07 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mage33

Rustoleum Professional.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26209
11/03/06 12:51 AM
11/03/06 12:51 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Tyler, ya got to take a better picture man. Who knows what that is. My guess is it's running; don't put it on so thick or don't thin it so much before putting it on that thick.

Buick - if you can't get it to shine as much as you like, pick up a quart of brightside which should be enough to do your car 2x. One coat of brightside would do it but two would be extra in case you wanted to sand it down smooth and polish. Compared to rustoleum, the brightside is quicker to apply also. I've had good luck spreading it on then rolling over it 10 minutes later to get any remaining bubbles and smooth out runs.

Come back in 4-5 hours when it's totally level, and the shine will ride your wig off.

Just another option to consider if you can't get the rustoleum to shine to your satisfaction.

I'm anxious to see aussie driver's results after the sanding and polishing..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26210
11/03/06 10:29 AM
11/03/06 10:29 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Frontloader:

If you read several posts back, Exit was experiencing the same paint problems you are. He wasn't able to get a solid layer of paint on his car in which he couldn't scratch. Then he converted to Brightside lol. He said much more shine with less work

Exit:

I'm waiting too! Aussie hurry up man. lol..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26211
11/03/06 10:52 AM
11/03/06 10:52 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So with the brightside you guys dont have to thin it at all? just pour into a pan and go? today I will prep the area better and make sure i use a clean rag to wipe the dust off.
[image]http://img513.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ebay021bd1.jpg[/image]

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26212
11/03/06 11:54 AM
11/03/06 11:54 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

MyBuick, That looks similar to mine after polish. 2 coats of Meguiars #7 show car glaze and 2 coats Hi-tech yellow wax and it now shines very nice.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26213
11/03/06 12:02 PM
11/03/06 12:02 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Quote:

So with the brightside you guys dont have to thin it at all? just pour into a pan and go?

tylerdru Read back a little I think the people roller brightside are thinning with mineral spirits..

check this link:http://carpainting.wetpaint.com/page/Rollering+Interlux+Brightside+Polyurethane+Paint

Last edited by 69DartGT; 11/03/06 12:03 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26214
11/03/06 12:53 PM
11/03/06 12:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Frontloader,

How long since the last coat?

Has it baked in the sun?

Does it still smell?

I think it has just not fully dried.

My test piece was done last summer and left in the sun during a heat wave. It is very hard.

My last coat was about a month ago. I can still smell the paint when it is in the sun. Not in the garage. I have no doubt my paint will harden just fine.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26215
11/04/06 12:11 AM
11/04/06 12:11 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mark E

I started painting about the middle of Sept. Have 5 or 6 coats of paint on during this time. I think the last coat was put on almost two weeks ago. No more then one coat in a 5 day period. Wet sanding and then a day or two before the next coat.

The buggy has been out in the sun for several days since the last coat. There is a slight aroma when out in the sun but not strong at all. You have to get close and smell it to pick up the aroma.

I am going to wet sand it next week and let it continue to cure. Will also leave it outdoors when it will not be raining. If in another two weeks it is still not hard, I may start looking for another paint solution unless I get a clue to harden this paint.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26216
11/04/06 12:23 PM
11/04/06 12:23 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Frontloader - don't forget some people have said rustoleum can take weeks or months to fully cure. A long ways back in this thread, someone was having the same concerns on something they'd painted; when they came back to look at it several months later it was rock hard.

in other news, I took some natural light pictures this morning with the garage open.

there is orange peel but it's nothing to go wild over. still im anxious to see aussiedrivers results since I think he started out with as much or more orange peel than I have..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Exit1965] #26217
11/04/06 02:11 PM
11/04/06 02:11 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
looks nice exit, actually all the cars look great. i like the GN black, that looks great.

exit, what does your car need to be driveable? you should get that car on the road!!! do some

As for the buggy, you have to wait, you can assemble the buggy, but it really takes about 3 months to fully dry, then it will be rock hard. the colder it is the longer it takes to dry. i remember with my 74 beetle which was painted in the dead of winter, about a week after paint i noticed it would "dent" eaisly, but it was cold. you just have to be careful putting the car together, but normal handling should'nt do anything to the paint, like washing/waxing, ect...by the spring my paint was rock hard, just like any auto paint even it takes time to dry, auto paints take 3-6 months to fully dry too.

I like the paint exit, it certainly is shiny, but it looks like a endless battle with peel, sand peel out, all the paint is gone, repaint, sand, repaint sand. i think you should get the car on the road and enjoy it.

I personally am to the point where i might paint my charger again, this time try the clear coat of which i have a case curtosy of tremclad. i was thinking, it would be so easy to do, paint the orange, wetsand to velvet and perfectly smooth, then 2-3 coats of the clear, buff and polish. the clear coat i have by tremclad is actually really thin out of the can, and almost ready to use without thinning, and i think after talking to tremclad that the shine would be just as good as BC/CC dare i say. but when i tried it, i thinned it with mineral spirits, which they said is a it should be thinned with laquir thinner, and when properlly thinned it has a reflectivity of 90% at 60*deg, meaning really really shiny. I looked at my odometer last night, and i have 92000mi on the car allready and it's been just a year!!!! i bought the car with 68000mi. Going sideways on dirt roads, driving the crap out of the car, and all the garage dooooooooohs i've had took a toll on my paint. it actually looks ok, but i can make it look better. This clear coat really got me thinking, maybe i'll try it on something else first, i have a old beetle deck lid i'll try it on.

Page 88 of 159 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 158 159