11/08/18 04:58 PM
11/08/18 04:58 PM
Ks
P
pullandrag Offline OP
pullandrag  Offline OP
P

Ks
Damn yeah it's frustrating,I can't see behind the switch but took the cancel lever off,held meter on each of the four Contacts and found a corresponding pin as a continuity test.I assume the box picture on diagram for ts switch is the harness side,thanks for advice and the pep talk I'll just stick with it as time allows...thanks man

Re: 69 charger no power to turn/flash [Re: pullandrag] #2575959
11/08/18 05:00 PM
11/08/18 05:00 PM
Ks
P
pullandrag Offline OP
pullandrag  Offline OP
P

Ks
One hot red wire from harness I just find it hard to believe all those wires are receiving from the switch and nothing else got on harness side of ts plug but I'll find another car maybe this weekend and see what it looks like know of a few 69s hiding out

Last edited by pullandrag; 11/08/18 05:00 PM.
Re: 69 charger no power to turn/flash [Re: pullandrag] #2576177
11/09/18 02:15 AM
11/09/18 02:15 AM
Ks
P
pullandrag Offline OP
pullandrag  Offline OP
P

Ks
More questions than answers I wish I knew how to really share pics on here I've come to realize that in the original 69 Mopar wiring diagram the turn signal switch picture the colors coincide with the pigtail of the turn signal switch but the colors that are in the harness or different I've brought this up before but what is crazy is my plug from the turn signal switch the white wire and the dark green wire are on the wrong side I don't have their number correlation or pin number but when I plug them together the white wire in the dark green wire going into nothing there's nothing there but there's enough pins in the connectors to do all the wires this is crazy I'm trying to figure out what wires from harness side or supposed to connect to the dr dark green and white wire.I should say and the white wire I know the white wire from the Flasher but it's wrapped up in the main harness I'll keep trying😵

Re: 69 charger no power to turn/flash [Re: pullandrag] #2576200
11/09/18 02:54 AM
11/09/18 02:54 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
If you ohm the white wire do you have continuity to (2) other wires (stalk in neutral) & if so what colors are they?

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: 69 charger no power to turn/flash [Re: pullandrag] #2576439
11/09/18 04:55 PM
11/09/18 04:55 PM
Ks
P
pullandrag Offline OP
pullandrag  Offline OP
P

Ks
Robert I havnt tried that but before that I don't have a connection for it at the 10 pin connector.I do have continuity to all colors from the ts switched plug to the contacts in the signal switch.I will try your deal too,also I don't have any white wires at the ts flasher.Also I can't get the brake switch red wires to transfer power through the switch to the white wire.I have power at the brake switch red wires but stop switch isn't working I guess,sorry for jumping around short lunch and a crappy phone I'll try to clarify tonight better,thanks for sticking with me on this.But for damn sure when the 10 pin connector is plugged in the white and dk green are dead ended.

Re: 69 charger no power to turn/flash [Re: pullandrag] #2576442
11/09/18 05:01 PM
11/09/18 05:01 PM
Ks
P
pullandrag Offline OP
pullandrag  Offline OP
P

Ks
I'll try that this weekend won't be home this evening,but have to figure out why I have no wires on the harness side of 10 pin to white,drk green which all the colors in the ts side of plug are in the right spots on its own connector

Re: 69 charger no power to turn/flash [Re: pullandrag] #2576597
11/10/18 12:30 AM
11/10/18 12:30 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
The brake light switch is a pretty simple switch. it has power coming in (whatever color that wire might be), That power comes from the fuse panel. When the brake pedal is up, the switch is open, and no power goes through it. When you step on the pedal, the switch is turned on and the power goes through the other side. (Newer brake light switches with cruise control can have up to 6 wires from the brake switch, if you don't have 6 wires, we won't go into that). If there are 2 wires coming from the out put side, both of those wires should go to the turn signal switch.

From the brake switch, the power should go to the turn signal switch where it will be separated to a left and a right side, so the brake light can be canceled for the turn to function. If you jump past the brake light switch so the output wires are powered, you should get another power source coming into the turn signal switch, and that power should supply power to both rear turn/brake lights individually, through the turn switch. Gene

The only service manual I have available right now is a 78 Van, and the turn signal switch in it only has 8 pins. I would give you the pin out of the turn signal switch.

Re: 69 charger no power to turn/flash [Re: pullandrag] #2576617
11/10/18 12:59 AM
11/10/18 12:59 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
OK, so I've been thinking about this. The 8 pin connector for the 78 Van is as follows:
1) 18 G white - power from the brake light switch
2) 18 g dark green - to the right rear turn
3) 18 g yellow w/ black line -to left rear turn
4) 18 G red - power from turn signal flasher
5) 18 g dark blue - power from hazard flasher
6) 18 G light green - right front turn
7) 18 g yellow - left front turn
8) 18 g dark green with white line - power from the horn fuse

From this list, you should have power coming into the turn signal switch from the following wires:
Turn flasher with the key on.
Hazard (4 way) flasher any time.
Brake light switch only when the pedal is stepped on.
Horn any time. The horn honks when the power wire is grounded.

Generally, wires from the turn switch that have yellow on them are for the left turn (front or rear) and wires with green are right turn (front or rear, except the horn wire)

From each of the front turn wires there may also be a wire for each side of the same color that is a much smaller wire, those would be for the turn signal lights on the dash. On the newer stuff (like this 78) those wires would have been pulled off the body side harness, they may be the other 2 wires on your connector. At this point, I really wouldn't worry too much about any extra wires in the connector. It would simply mean a secondary circuit doesn't work.

If you power these wires, your turn and brake lights should work. You should be able to use a jumper wire from a hot source to each light wire and see that light light up on your car. Gene

Re: 69 charger no power to turn/flash [Re: pullandrag] #2576893
11/10/18 09:17 PM
11/10/18 09:17 PM
Ks
P
pullandrag Offline OP
pullandrag  Offline OP
P

Ks
That's a lot of info I appreciate it if you don't mind go to the my Mopar 69 wiring diagrams and go right to that turn signal switch you will see pin connector 9 and 10 are empty as they are on the harness side of the car I'm working on but guess what the white wire that runs up to the turn signal switch is in that tenth position with the green beside it that is what really blows my mind at the moment.I am pretty sure I need to get under another cars dash at this point.One of the white wires comes from the brake switch as you say and I have continuity through there the other white goes to the flasher switch on dash.The dark green goes to the rear brake lights through the plug for rear harness and as I say the white wire goes to 7 pin harness side of TS connector.That is enough issues in and of itself because white pin 7 and drk green pin 6 are on the wrong side of the brown wire pin 8 to connect the TS connector to the harness side maybe I just found the very problem Myself by saying that, but I don't particularly want to burn down a $200,000 car but it's about the only answer for starters that makes any sense I bet somewhere somebody's reading all this just laughing their tail off at me but I don't care I'm not a big wiring guy but I got to figure this out haha I'll start with this as the biggest issue.Thanks for helping if this fixes this tommorow I'll be sure to let you know 👍👍

Re: 69 charger no power to turn/flash [Re: pullandrag] #2576896
11/10/18 09:18 PM
11/10/18 09:18 PM
Ks
P
pullandrag Offline OP
pullandrag  Offline OP
P

Ks
In my first paragraph when I say the position of the white and green wire in the wrong position I'm saying coming from the turn signal switch connector to match the harness side

Re: 69 charger no power to turn/flash [Re: pullandrag] #2576927
11/10/18 10:31 PM
11/10/18 10:31 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Are there empty slots in the place on the connector where the white wire and the green wire are suppose to be?

Is it possible your old harness that you replaced had burnt or broken wires, or the connector is bad at the correct locations, so someone relocated those two wires to a different position that wasn't being used so it would work for them?

Its possible the green wire is for the horn. If you hook to a test light clip to a power source, and touch the green wire in the column harness, does the test light light? Does it light if you push the horn ring like you want to honk the horn? Gene

Re: 69 charger no power to turn/flash [Re: pullandrag] #2577073
11/11/18 12:57 PM
11/11/18 12:57 PM
Ks
P
pullandrag Offline OP
pullandrag  Offline OP
P

Ks
I've spent some time this morning checking it out, yes in the actual TS pigtail 10 pin they are on the wrong side of the brown wire,meaning whern plugged in the white and dark green are going to nothibg 9&10, if you mirror flip the white and green to the other side of the brown the white will line up with the white power in from brake stop switch and the dark green goes to the rear right taillight to the two brake and signal outside bulbs. I know this sounds very simple but it makes sense because that is a replacement turn signal switch in the column and even if this fixes the initial problem I don't have a lot of faith in that turn signal switch yet until I get things flipped around today and see if I was right but there's been a lot of hands in this car before me and some things were little questionable which have been corrected now but I guess we'll see I will get back on here later after I do my little test and let you know if that got me going in the right direction finally thanks for the good help you and RapidRobert kept me from getting to pissed off ha. Crazy thing is I work on tractors a lot for a living and most of them have way more wires but have extremely well laid out diagrams to trace with but these older cars are fairly simple but can still rack your brain,I'm not out of the woods yet but I suspect who ever put that TS switch in the column mirrored them wrong plug to plug that's why two important wires go to nothing on the harness side connector. This is a low mile (,not survivor though) Daytona but when I told the owner it had connecting rods with multiple stampings of double numbers and all rods needed re sized and crank worked he wasn't happy,it was ran hard, at some point the car been jerked totally apart and then put back together and it had bolts in all kind of places that were right for the car but in the wrong holes it's been an uphill battle another guy actually rotisserie restored the body and I've pretty much done everything else it's almost done though ready to go into storage haha I'll check back later man..

Re: 69 charger no power to turn/flash [Re: pullandrag] #2577083
11/11/18 01:20 PM
11/11/18 01:20 PM
TN Hoosier
J
jb500 Offline
jb500  Offline
J

TN Hoosier
I had a similar issue a few years back with my Coronet. The front was fine but only the rear pass side turn/brake lights worked. The front signals and fender mounted indicators worked without issue. Traced the problem back to the steering column harness connector. A tab had cracked on the plug and let both halves wiggle lose over time. The bad connection kept the driver's side rear turn/brake lights from working.

Re: 69 charger no power to turn/flash [Re: jb500] #2577125
11/11/18 02:52 PM
11/11/18 02:52 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
ain't wiring fun ? laugh2 especially when one gets to sort out others "repairs". i can't count how many "fixes", installs, and "repairs" i have done over the years.
i don't have much hair left on the top of my head. biggrin
keep after it, you will succeed !
beer

Re: 69 charger no power to turn/flash [Re: pullandrag] #2577176
11/11/18 05:08 PM
11/11/18 05:08 PM
Ks
P
pullandrag Offline OP
pullandrag  Offline OP
P

Ks
JB,moparx yeah times you wish you could go back to the guy who was in charge of sourcing the harnesses and ask why for a few pennies more you could have had better electronic connections,they should have done the sealed bulkhead design by atleast for all the new bodys in 68 but it is what it is.
On high a high note I fixed it,or should I say we fixed it I need the pep talk or I loose sight and think it's something I'll never find so thanks RapidRobert, Poorboy and the others it was very simple 5 minute fix after a week of sophomoric frustration.
If you separate the turn signal switch 10 pin connector and you take the wires on on the switch side every wire that wasn't in the center was flipped or mirrored to the wrong side I studied where everything goes and what it does and boom turn signals, flashers all for corners I don't have brake lights unless I by pass brake switch because it has no continuity needs replaced.I had no tools to release connectors in TS harness plug so I used a stainless zip tie for a old header wrap project ground then down to slip in beside connectors to release them,kind of like the tool to release tool box draws ha, only thing left now is to get the nose fitted just right and throw some seats in it, but I think I will talk to the owner about dropping the transmission being this is almost winter and having it gone through because the low reverse band pins seals leaking all over the floor.I would rather fight that than this wiring thanks again for all the help!

Re: 69 charger no power to turn/flash [Re: pullandrag] #2577355
11/12/18 12:56 AM
11/12/18 12:56 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I happy to hear you got it whipped, congratulation!

I remember back in about the mid 80s, some of the aftermarket replacement turn signal switches came with oversized connectors. You couldn't get the connector to go down through the column no matter what you did. You had to remove the wires from the connector, tape them together, shove them through the column, then reattach the wires to the connector. It was pretty easy to mess up where the wires fit into the connector. I remember having to straighten out a few of the messed up wires in the connectors from other shops back then. Forgot about that until I read your last post! Would have been much more helpful had I remembered earlier.

If you think the 69 wiring in the service manual is difficult to follow, you won't want anything to do with most of the mid 90s FSM wiring diagrams, they are spread out over about 20 pages. Gene

Re: 69 charger no power to turn/flash [Re: poorboy] #2577500
11/12/18 02:41 PM
11/12/18 02:41 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted By poorboy
I happy to hear you got it whipped, congratulation!

If you think the 69 wiring in the service manual is difficult to follow, you won't want anything to do with most of the mid 90s FSM wiring diagrams, they are spread out over about 20 pages. Gene

you ain't just a kidding on the new stuff diagrams. and 2000+ is even MORE fun ! laugh2 good connector tools are a MUST have if a guy is going to do wiring work. especially on the new stuff.
i'm glad the OP got this sorted as well. good job ! now don't get old and forget your new found knowledge ........ [like i do]
beer

Re: 69 charger no power to turn/flash [Re: poorboy] #2578233
11/14/18 01:53 AM
11/14/18 01:53 AM
Ks
P
pullandrag Offline OP
pullandrag  Offline OP
P

Ks
Yeah Poorboy I'll pass on the newer stuff, I'm simple guy and am not ashamed🙋thanks again man!!

Moparx I have enough B body stuff going on to last me I'm a fair hand but never to proud to ask for help,as I would do for anyone on here,but this place is full of knowledgeable people I try to comb the threads to help but serious amounts of brains here!Thank you guys!

Page 2 of 2 1 2