Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: proper way to repaint a car to best get factory look [Re: fuelishnsilly] #2560600
10/07/18 11:48 PM
10/07/18 11:48 PM
Greenwood Lake, NY
F
fuelishnsilly Offline OP
enthusiast
fuelishnsilly  Offline OP
enthusiast
F

Greenwood Lake, NY
Kent,

Thanks for your tips. I'm sure he will appreciate it.

For the others, the car is a 1969 GTX convertible. It will have radial redline tires on it and base / clear PPG automotive paint. His overall goal is to make it look like it was new in 1969 regardless of the paint being single stage or base / clear. Maybe he should try and find some 1969 air for his tires too to make some people happy on here since its their car. smh.

inherited a 69 roadrunner from my grand pop.
Re: proper way to repaint a car to best get factory look [Re: fuelishnsilly] #2560654
10/08/18 01:01 AM
10/08/18 01:01 AM
Rust Belt, SW PA
Silver70 Offline
I Live Here
Silver70  Offline
I Live Here

Rust Belt, SW PA
There is nothing wrong with base/clear, it's all I use, well 95% of the time. It's much easier to repair, blend, etc... big reason it's used on newer car. Clear protect the paint, uv resistant etc.

The issue with base/clear based on getting it to look factory is, they didn't use base/clear in 1969. I won't even consider doing one in anything but base/clear unless it's a solid color. Not worth the possible hassle if something goes wrong.

68 Road Runner, 69 Belvedere, 71 Challenger Vert
340 barracuda, 01 Ram CTD, 95 Ram, 04 Ram, 85 Daytona turbo Z
66 GTO, 06 Magnum RT AWD. 07 Ram CTD, 07 Ram
Re: proper way to repaint a car to best get factory look [Re: fuelishnsilly] #2560658
10/08/18 01:05 AM
10/08/18 01:05 AM
So Near, Yet So Far
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Near, Yet So Far
Basically the optical difference between the original acrylic enamel and BC/CC is one of "depth" - in BC/CC you're of course viewing the color through a layer of clear.
The reason for the BC/CC on modern cars is appearance and protection; it'll stand up to stuff the old enamels won't, and retain a shine longer. Similar logic to panel fit, people aren't as tolerant of the weird gaps that used to be commonplace and were sometimes a warranty hassle. People were simply less demanding 40-50 years ago.
The difference in texture is part inherent in modern chemistry & equipment, and largely in the color-sanding & buffing. If the painter can lay down a very clean finish, and you avoid the 1000/2000 wet-sand & polish (just nib & polish any dirt), you can have some texture.

Re: proper way to repaint a car to best get factory look [Re: fuelishnsilly] #2560677
10/08/18 02:19 AM
10/08/18 02:19 AM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Originally Posted By fuelishnsilly
Originally Posted By Morty426
Originally Posted By fuelishnsilly
He is doing a GTX. What would have been already assembled? I'm guessing doors, fenders, hood, trunk lid were all attached already? He is looking to do a base clear vs the single stage.

I also know the GTX got that organisol paint on the lower part of the car below the body molding. Would the color of the car been painted all the way down or just down far enough past that molding so as they did not waste paint?

Is there a reason you can't tell us the year? Over communicate, please!

I'm assuming it's a 69 but it matters. It also matters what factory it came from.

As Scott pointed out if he's going two stage he's already failed so what's the point?

You asked for correct, is that what he wants or is he going down the Home Depot to buy some Krylon?

Morty,

He is using PPG automotive paint and not Krylon. Also, if using Base / Clear is so bad, why are manufacturers using that on cars today? And isn't OE now allowing base / clear also? Whats wrong with having radial tires on a car when the originals were the bias ply tires? Maybe he is missing the mark by using PPG instead of whatever brand of paint the factory used? Seriously, he is trying to make it look like how it would have been in 1969 with the gray primer showing and all but it shouldn't matter if he uses base / clear and radial tires since he is not building an OE car nor plans on doing that route.

The reason is the EPA. They are killing off non-water based paint. Base coat / clear coat leaves a wet finish that many people like, but that is not how it left the factory. If he wants correct then you need the single stage, if he wants the glossy look then BC/CC - it's his car.

Re: proper way to repaint a car to best get factory look [Re: fuelishnsilly] #2560690
10/08/18 04:39 AM
10/08/18 04:39 AM
Cut and Shoot, TX
kentj340 Offline
top fuel
kentj340  Offline
top fuel

Cut and Shoot, TX
Nothing wrong with doing a restoration back to the original, as delivered condition, except for using BC/CC and radial tires.

Nobody in the Houston area, where we get a great deal more direct sunlight than more northern states, is doing acrylic, because it won't last very long here. I had covered parking both at home and at work when I bought my brand new '69 Barracuda, so the factory paint still looked nice until the mid 70's, then started going down hill.

I still recall what a huge improvement radial tires were when I first put them on my Barracuda in the early-mid 70's.

If you don't see two dolphins, you need a vacation.
Re: proper way to repaint a car to best get factory look [Re: fuelishnsilly] #2562173
10/10/18 10:25 PM
10/10/18 10:25 PM
Greenwood Lake, NY
F
fuelishnsilly Offline OP
enthusiast
fuelishnsilly  Offline OP
enthusiast
F

Greenwood Lake, NY
I talked to my friend yesterday and he isn't that concerned about the gloss factor. He plans on driving the car and having it out in the sun so I'm sure it will dull down over time losing some of its gloss. He said if he was doing a museum piece that would never get driven and only be trailer place to place, then he might consider going single stage but he isn't going that crazy on the car. He can live with base / clear and radial tires.

inherited a 69 roadrunner from my grand pop.
Re: proper way to repaint a car to best get factory look [Re: fuelishnsilly] #2562191
10/10/18 11:15 PM
10/10/18 11:15 PM
Lost in Time
Iowan Offline
super stock
Iowan  Offline
super stock

Lost in Time
I worked at House of kolor in Minneapolis Minnesota for a few years in the early eightys and they used a technique for OEM paint. Spay the car with three coťes of color let it set over night, then sand clean up and repeat. You could do this with clear coat or a signal stage color..

Have a great day
Iowan

"obsolete is neat"

Page 2 of 2 1 2