01/30/18 07:51 PM
01/30/18 07:51 PM
Ringtown, Pa.
Dartsport540 Offline
top fuel
Dartsport540  Offline
top fuel

Ringtown, Pa.
NGK Laser Platinum are suppose to be original equipment. NGK 7781 . Direct hit says to remove the intake, and about 2.8 hours..... Suppose to be replaced at 102,000 miles

548 cu. in., Bill Mitchell Aluminum Block, CRT 727 auto trans, Alston Chassis. 8.981et at 149.46 mph. 1.204et - 60 foot, So Far....
Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2443757
01/30/18 11:47 PM
01/30/18 11:47 PM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
T

Niles , Ohio
Good lord how would you like to work on them everyday/That and if you think just Mopar has terrible designs look at some others.Did it for 30 plus year every day.Worst part was when people complained about labor.yeah I was the moron that designed a part that takes 4 hours to remove.Only thing I miss is having the shop to work on my stuff.Dont miss having 40K in tools and having to listen to people b---h about cost to fix their rides.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2444017
01/31/18 01:13 PM
01/31/18 01:13 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Online laugh2
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Online laugh2
G

Why is it that someone can come to your house, charge you $750 to put a couple springs and some rollers on a garage door and everyone is happy, thanking them, offering them coffee or iced tea but tell someone it's going to cost $430 to tune up their vehicle and they get all bent out of shape?

I would venture to say that I personally have about $70K in tools, tool boxes and equipment, and I work at a dealership. The cost of the equipment and special tools alone is staggering. Way, way more than a truck, a ladder, a bucket of tools and a tablet costs. This doesn't even address the cost of training, support personnel, insurance, electric, etc. My 43 years of experience, knowledge and blood are certainly worth something. And make no mistake there is some of my DNA on pretty much every vehicle I have ever worked on. laugh2

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2444025
01/31/18 01:27 PM
01/31/18 01:27 PM
Calgary, Alberta Canada
a12rag Offline
master
a12rag  Offline
master

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2444086
01/31/18 03:52 PM
01/31/18 03:52 PM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
therocks  Offline
T

Niles , Ohio
Guitar let alone that every year its something new to learn or buy tools to fix.I loved when people said you must be making a killing making $65 an hour as that was labor rate at the shop then.Then the morons say company must treat you great bying you all those toos.yeah right.Oh yeah lets not forget the cut body parts all the bruises the wet and cold from rain and snow.Oh yeah you are supposed to work on their junk when they pull in and its 300 degrees under the hood.that and when you tell them they need say 5oo bucks worth of parts to make it right.But hey I Only want to spend 200 bucks and you still can make it perfect.Yeah Im glad Im retired and dont have to deal with most of them.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: My Journey in life [Re: MarkZ] #2444132
01/31/18 05:22 PM
01/31/18 05:22 PM
G
G

Originally Posted By MarkM
Originally Posted By DaytonaTurbo
If it makes you feel any better, a guy I work with was quoted 1k yesterday by the local dodge dealer to change the alternator in his caliber. He looked it on online and his options are to either go from the top and remove the power steering pump, undo a motor mount and push the engine back or go from the bottom, remove the shields and covers, remove the a/c compressor and wiggle it out. Another brilliant piece of chrysler engineering.

This is bringing back some PTSD for me. I owned one of those turds and the alternator died a day before Easter. I replaced it myself and had to go through the bottom exactly how you described, so I was only out the $220 for the alternator. Took me six hours since there were no service manuals because Chrysler wouldn't license Haynes or Chiltons to make one for that line at the time.

To compound it all, the alternator itself was fine. What failed was the damn clutch. Who the hell puts a clutch on an alternator?!

Well the clutch is an over running clutch and pretty much everyone is doing it. When you have to meet ridiculous fuel economy standards every little bit adds up. So just think for yourself as to why we have these ridiculous standards and who implemented them and then act accordingly when it's your time to pull the levers or fill out the ballot.

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
Re: My Journey in life [Re: therocks] #2444224
01/31/18 08:38 PM
01/31/18 08:38 PM
G
G

Originally Posted By therocks
Guitar let alone that every year its something new to learn or buy tools to fix.I loved when people said you must be making a killing making $65 an hour as that was labor rate at the shop then.Then the morons say company must treat you great bying you all those toos.yeah right.Oh yeah lets not forget the cut body parts all the bruises the wet and cold from rain and snow.Oh yeah you are supposed to work on their junk when they pull in and its 300 degrees under the hood.that and when you tell them they need say 5oo bucks worth of parts to make it right.But hey I Only want to spend 200 bucks and you still can make it perfect.Yeah Im glad Im retired and dont have to deal with most of them.Rocky

It looks like the OP is a truck driver so let's put this in terms he can understand. Let's say whoever it is he drives for comes to him and says I got a run for you but the guy doesn't feel it's worth X amount of dollars. So I need you to do this for half what you would normally get paid.

How does that work for you? Truck drivers generally get paid by the mile right? I know not necessarily by the miles you actually drive though. We'll techs get paid by the job. Nearly every job has a book time so what ever that is, is what we get paid. Say a job pays 3 hours, if it takes us 5 hours we still only get paid 3 hours. If it takes us 1 hour we still get paid the 3 hours.

Being good at our jobs and working hard is how we make money in this business. But make no mistake there are plenty of jobs I lose money on, the ones I make money on are called gravy. There isn't much gravy out there anymore especially in my situation where nearly 100% of what I do is warranty work. Everybody is squeezing tighter and tighter. I used to get about 9 tenths to diagnose and replace an O2 sensor. 3 tenths diagnosis and 6 tenths for the R&R. Now they won't pay the diagnosis and only pay 2 tenths for the R&R.

So yeah why don't some of you guys start working for less than a third of what you would normally be paid and let me know how that works out for you

Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2444515
02/01/18 10:40 AM
02/01/18 10:40 AM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
therocks  Offline
T

Niles , Ohio
Let alone every year you need to upgrade scanner,info like AllData etc.then lets see take the almost useless test for ASE every 5 years unless they are split.Then take them twice so double the cost.Last time I took mine it was 9 tests.Like to see most take them all at once.Let alone if the shop dosent pay for them the cost.Oh yeah last bleeder wrench i bough from SnapOn was like 55 bucks.That was a few years ago.But hey its great that the shop buys all those tools for you and then gives you the shop labor rate.Labor parts keep going up.Maybe ask why.because peole want more and more garbage on cars.In a few years when stuff starts to fail it will be cheaper to junk them than fix them.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2444571
02/01/18 12:51 PM
02/01/18 12:51 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
You guys getting bent out of shape need to take a step back and re-read OP's post. I don't think he's ragging on techs for the time taking what it takes. The real issue is the poor vehicle design and lousy quality. At $100/hr shop rate it adds up quickly. I don't really see what any of that has to do with the technician himself. The job takes the time it takes no matter what shop you bring it to.

Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2444631
02/01/18 02:16 PM
02/01/18 02:16 PM
Calgary, Alberta Canada
a12rag Offline
master
a12rag  Offline
master

Calgary, Alberta Canada
The engineers designing the cars, ARE NOT the techs working on the cars . . . . common sense is not so common. . .

Re: My Journey in life [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #2444639
02/01/18 02:23 PM
02/01/18 02:23 PM
G
G

Originally Posted By DaytonaTurbo
You guys getting bent out of shape need to take a step back and re-read OP's post. I don't think he's ragging on techs for the time taking what it takes. The real issue is the poor vehicle design and lousy quality. At $100/hr shop rate it adds up quickly. I don't really see what any of that has to do with the technician himself. The job takes the time it takes no matter what shop you bring it to.

OK fair enough, let's take another look.

Quote:
First is a tune up. I checked at a local shop and he told me like $430. Wait, WHAT?!?!?!? $430 to change a set of plugs? He also told me it takes 3 hours and copper core plugs. Ok, now I know it’s been a while since I’ve really done any work on cars. I used to do all my own work, but these new computer controlled cars are a little more intimidating. I know it has a coil on plug ignition and the plugs are centered in the heads like a hemi so I don’t really see why it would take 3 hours. I know it’s a transverse mounted engine, but with the plugs on top, I don’t think it should be too hard to get to the back plugs.

So the questions for this are: 1, am I right thinking it shouldn’t take 3 hours and 2, does it really take copper core plugs? When I checked Autozone, it’s listing double platinum plugs. Also, what brand of plugs do you recommend? I’ve always been a diehard Champion user in my Mopars, but do they still work best in the modern engines?

work I don't see it your way.

Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2444647
02/01/18 02:32 PM
02/01/18 02:32 PM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline OP
master
dodgeram440  Offline OP
master

Piqua, Ohio
You guys are acting like whatever a shop charges goes in your pockets. You've all stated yourselves that the shop doesn't buy your tools, or in some cases pay for your certifications. Sure the shop does provide some equipment, but that is to be expected.

Yes, I am...or was a truck driver. taking some time off from that for a while. But before I started driving, I was a mechanic for 25 years. So I am well aware of what your expenses are, as well as the shops overhead. Maybe I still think old school, when a tune up consisted of more than just six spark plugs and didn't cost $430. Perhaps I wouldn't have been so shocked and upset about it if the shop had told me that the intake has to come off to get to the back plugs. And also told me the truth about the type of plugs needed. Everything I've seen listed for plugs for this car shows it needs double platinum or iridium plugs and he wants to use copper core. I would be needing another tune up i10,000 miles because the ignition system would have burned up the plugs. This guy has been in business for years and he doesn't know that? How am I supposed to trust him with that kind of wrong info.

Maybe $400 is the norm for a tune up on a modern car. Maybe that is something I will just have to get used to if I don't want to work on my own junk anymore. But that is a pretty heavy bill for me. I don't have that kind of money just lying around that I can just say, "Ok, no problem. When can I pick it up?" Not everyone is as rich as you all seem to be.

Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2444673
02/01/18 03:09 PM
02/01/18 03:09 PM
G
G

Originally Posted By dodgeram440
You guys are acting like whatever a shop charges goes in your pockets. You've all stated yourselves that the shop doesn't buy your tools, or in some cases pay for your certifications. Sure the shop does provide some equipment, but that is to be expected.

Yes, I am...or was a truck driver. taking some time off from that for a while. But before I started driving, I was a mechanic for 25 years. So I am well aware of what your expenses are, as well as the shops overhead. Maybe I still think old school, when a tune up consisted of more than just six spark plugs and didn't cost $430. Perhaps I wouldn't have been so shocked and upset about it if the shop had told me that the intake has to come off to get to the back plugs. And also told me the truth about the type of plugs needed. Everything I've seen listed for plugs for this car shows it needs double platinum or iridium plugs and he wants to use copper core. I would be needing another tune up i10,000 miles because the ignition system would have burned up the plugs. This guy has been in business for years and he doesn't know that? How am I supposed to trust him with that kind of wrong info.

Maybe $400 is the norm for a tune up on a modern car. Maybe that is something I will just have to get used to if I don't want to work on my own junk anymore. But that is a pretty heavy bill for me. I don't have that kind of money just lying around that I can just say, "Ok, no problem. When can I pick it up?" Not everyone is as rich as you all seem to be.

Cars are complicated and not easy to work on anymore. I'm not upset but you also can't expect an independent shop owner to know what plugs every vehicle out there takes. Many Chrysler products do use copper core plugs so maybe he just didn't realize or make the call to find out.

And no what ever the shop charges does not go in my pocket but a percentage of that does and if the boss decides to discount that repair guess who also gets a discount in the form of less time paid?

I can't even remember the number of times I've had an adviser ask me if I'll do a job for say 9 or 10 hours instead of 12 so they can cut the cost down to the customer.

Cars are expensive, cars break and wear out, that's what they do and it's expensive to repair them. I'm glad I don't have to pay someone to fix my junkers but I had to pay $750 for the garage door to get fixed. I had to pay a plumber $250 just to snake a vent. I had to pay $3400 for a new septic drain field and I'm going to have to pay an electrician to come fix some stuff at my house because there are just some things I can't or won't do. But no, I'm not made of money either.

Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2444695
02/01/18 03:44 PM
02/01/18 03:44 PM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
therocks  Offline
T

Niles , Ohio
Let alone calling it junk because of the cost.Maybe go buy a Ford Truck and see what plugs cost to change.Yeah complicated.Let alone when the plugs snap off in the head.Every car out there today is a complicated trap.Maybe open the hood and look to see what it takes to change stuff.I mean its not hard to see that the intake etc covers the motor.Oh yeah Im a retired tech and had to pay to have the clock spring replaced in the wifes Journey.Even if I was at the shop I probally could not have pulled codes for it.Was about 98% sure it was the problem but who wants to guess at a 200 buck plus part.Rocky

Last edited by therocks; 02/01/18 03:50 PM.

Chrysler Firepower
Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2444752
02/01/18 05:37 PM
02/01/18 05:37 PM
md
M
mopars4ever Online content
I Live Here
mopars4ever  Online Content
I Live Here
M

md
Nobody wants to get ripped off, the consumer or worker. There are to many variations to pin point one thing/person at fault. Could be a dishonest/overpriced dealership, dishonest worker or a customer wanted something for next to nothing. Also a lot of times the suspected price gouging is just perceived by the consumer because of not knowing the actual cost of doing business. I believe the reason most dealerships do mostly warranty work is self inflicted. Years ago when people went to dealers for general service work they were faced with constant price gouging, pushy salesmanship and they then resorted to finding cheaper smaller shops that could do good work.

Also my 06 ram 5.7 uses copper core champion plugs and it runs runs fine with them. I see no need for the more expensive plugs. I would go with what Chrysler recommends for your vehicle. It should be listed in the owners manual.

Re: My Journey in life [Re: mopars4ever] #2444884
02/01/18 09:58 PM
02/01/18 09:58 PM
Lost and Spaced
B
bboogieart Offline
master
bboogieart  Offline
master
B

Lost and Spaced
OK I'm not a new car owner.
It's a personal decision.

I'm seeing complaints about several hundred to tens of hunerts of dollars for repair work.

It seems to me folks will pay 10's of thousands for a car or truck and then expect to spend hundreds for repairs. lets keep things in perspective. Thousands of dollars have replaced hundreds years if not decades ago.

I laughed well over ten years ago when I saw trucks going for 50 grand. WOW Guess what folks, it's time to pay up or shut up.
Tech.s do the best they can.
They are trying to make a living.
The Auto Corp.s could care less if your unhappy.
We haven't much choice.
Most folks have to have at least one car.
Most here have several.
They make cars hard to maintain on purpose.
They want you to throw it away and get a new one.
That's where the money is. whistling
Look at all the attention the new Camero or Hell Cat gets.
Think they are gonna be cheap to maintain?
You know what happens to cars not maintained.

Give the working man a break. If your going to run stuff you can't fix, get ready to pay for folks that can.

This is why I buy throw away vans at 2 to 4 grand.
Just like 2 to 4 hunret dollar beaters back in the 70's and 80's.
I work on my old junk and still enjoy it best I can. The wifes stuff just gets rotated. We are happy with our lot in life. Sorry if your not. Things aren't gonna get easier unless you make a point to simplify it yourself...

Life is tough.
Boo Hoo!

stirthepot

I have mechanical Aptitude.
I can screw up anything.
Re: My Journey in life [Re: Guitar Jones] #2445233
02/02/18 03:45 PM
02/02/18 03:45 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By Guitar Jones

work I don't see it your way.

I guess I looked at the OP's signature pic and saw an old dodge truck and thought it's not hard to imagine how he thinks a set of plugs should be a 1hr job. Maybe not knowing any better about how miserable the new stuff is to work on. Sounds like whoever quoted him simply did not explain to him or walk out to his vehicle and show him what's involved in changing a set of plugs on a Journey. To me, none of that is the fault of the tech. The job takes what it takes and it's up to the shop management to explain to the customer how the design of the vehicle makes it a time consuming and difficult job. I work at a heavy duty truck/trailer shop and we see this all the time. Usually customers are ok once we explain or show them the reality of what needs to be done when we quote out a job. I don't see why the OP is getting his panties in a bunch over the spark plug type, I wouldn't expect anyone to have every plug memorized. I'm sure when their parts guy goes to order spark plugs by make/model the correct ones would be sent.

Page 2 of 2 1 2