01/29/18 10:12 AM
01/29/18 10:12 AM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline OP
master
dodgeram440  Offline OP
master

Piqua, Ohio
I have a 2009 Journey 3.5 v6 AWD that I’m having a couple issues with.

First is a tune up. I checked at a local shop and he told me like $430. Wait, WHAT?!?!?!? $430 to change a set of plugs? He also told me it takes 3 hours and copper core plugs. Ok, now I know it’s been a while since I’ve really done any work on cars. I used to do all my own work, but these new computer controlled cars are a little more intimidating. I know it has a coil on plug ignition and the plugs are centered in the heads like a hemi so I don’t really see why it would take 3 hours. I know it’s a transverse mounted engine, but with the plugs on top, I don’t think it should be too hard to get to the back plugs.

So the questions for this are: 1, am I right thinking it shouldn’t take 3 hours and 2, does it really take copper core plugs? When I checked Autozone, it’s listing double platinum plugs. Also, what brand of plugs do you recommend? I’ve always been a diehard Champion user in my Mopars, but do they still work best in the modern engines?

The second problem is a little more complicated. Ever since we bought the car, it’s always had a heating problem inside. The are 4 vents in the dash, 2 in the center and two on each end. The 2 vents on the passenger side, one center and one near the door, have never blown hot, or even warm. It blows air just fine, just no heat. The left side has been fine, but recently even the left center has been starting to blow cooler. Even the far left by the drivers door is not as warm as it once was. Just enough to warm the driver, but anyone else in the car is out of luck.

I’ve done some checking online and I’ve found other people who have had similar issues and their fix was to simply flush out the heater core. Ok. I’ve done that before on other vehicles, but those cars didn’t have heat at all and the flush did help. My situation is different in that I do have heat, just not out of all the vents.

I guess the logical conclusion would be the blend doors on the ac/heater box. The shop I talked to wanted $80 just to check it out and diagnose it. That’s not counting any repairs. So the question is, how hard is it to get inside the dash enough to check the function of the blend doors? Do I have to pull the whole dash out or can I get to it thru the glove boxes?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Having financial issues right now and $400 just to change spark plugs is just insane, especially when using cheap copper core plugs. I need help!!!

Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2442771
01/29/18 10:44 AM
01/29/18 10:44 AM
Lost in Time
Iowan Offline
super stock
Iowan  Offline
super stock

Lost in Time
Why not do it your self, try pulling a plug and see just how difficult the job is. It's probably something you can handle your self.

Have a great day
Iowan

"obsolete is neat"

Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2442797
01/29/18 11:34 AM
01/29/18 11:34 AM
New Jersey, USA
Y
yella71 Offline
pro stock
yella71  Offline
pro stock
Y

New Jersey, USA
If you feel that the price you were given to "tune up " you car is too much then by all means have at it and do it your self. I do auto and truck repair for a living and hear it a lot , wow it costs how much? shops factor in rent tools electric insurance what they pay the employees etc. it might be an easy job it might suck. do it and then tell us all how you made out. just remember the shop you went to is in business to make money. im quite sure if they did not need the money they'd be fishing instead. not to say there isn't crooks out there who will screw you but I like to think most are honest. its tough out there

71 challenger convertable, 64 sport fury 383 ci with factory air 99 sebring convertable 89 CTD pup
Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2442902
01/29/18 03:31 PM
01/29/18 03:31 PM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline OP
master
dodgeram440  Offline OP
master

Piqua, Ohio
You guys are missing the point. Yes, I understand that the shop is in business to make money. Ok, whatever. I can do it myself....once I dig my tools out of storage. That is not the issue. The real question is what type of plugs does the car require? The shop says copper core, but the parts store listings all say double platinum or iridium. At this point, I’m actually more inclined to believe the parts store. I just want to know what type and brand should I get.

The really sad part is I thought this was a reputable shop and the owner (at least at one time almost 10 years ago) races a black 68 hemi Barracuda and is a member here. Not naming names though.

Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2442908
01/29/18 03:37 PM
01/29/18 03:37 PM
St. Charles, MO
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title
wingman  Offline
Uncreative Title

St. Charles, MO
Call a local dealer parts desk--they will tell you what plug came factory on your ride.

Most of the oems are using platinums now because they last so long, but there are exceptions.

BTW, how do you know you need plugs unless you have pulled one or two and checked them? Under normal circumstances those factory platinums can last way over 100K. Yours might still be fine...

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)
Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2442930
01/29/18 04:34 PM
01/29/18 04:34 PM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline OP
master
dodgeram440  Offline OP
master

Piqua, Ohio
The car has 186,000 on it and I’ve never done anything in the three years I’ve had it. I’m sure it’s probably due for something. Fuel mileage is around 17-18, would like to get maybe 20 if it’s possible. I do a lot of highway driving with it. I guess I could just pull a plug and find out what is in it, but I wanted to try to get some info about it before I started anything, and maybe have the parts ready so I’m only doing it once.

Moparts used to be the best site on the web to get Mopar information, but I guess it’s gone downhill in the last couple years. Yeah, I’ve been gone a little while. No one has even bothered addressing my heat problem. Guess I’m just going to have to rip into it and find out for myself.

Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2442955
01/29/18 05:10 PM
01/29/18 05:10 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Pull one plug and see what it is. As far as the heat, you bet it is a blend door, on my Ram the whole dash had to be suspended up and out of the way to access the HVAC, probably like that on all the new cars... rant

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2443011
01/29/18 07:13 PM
01/29/18 07:13 PM
Calgary, Alberta Canada
a12rag Offline
master
a12rag  Offline
master

Calgary, Alberta Canada
check the journey forum . . . am sure they have answers there . . . as for the plugs, check with dealership for factory oem . . . my 06 Magnum RT AWD with 5.7 hemi, uses copper plugs.

Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2443021
01/29/18 07:36 PM
01/29/18 07:36 PM
Arlington, Texas
B
bobby66 Offline
master
bobby66  Offline
master
B

Arlington, Texas
There's probably a data sheet under the hood with the spark plug info on it.

Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2443074
01/29/18 09:29 PM
01/29/18 09:29 PM
New Jersey, USA
Y
yella71 Offline
pro stock
yella71  Offline
pro stock
Y

New Jersey, USA
Im betting it has copper plugs in it as OE, mopar is famous for being cheap. I cant remember seeing platinum or iridium plugs in any Chrysler product unless some one put them in after the fact. anyway, what difference does it make what plug came from the factory in it, just buy the plugs you like that are correct for it and put them in, don't over think it. as far as the heat that's an across the board thing with mopar also... don't know what to tell you on that

71 challenger convertable, 64 sport fury 383 ci with factory air 99 sebring convertable 89 CTD pup
Re: My Journey in life [Re: yella71] #2443194
01/30/18 02:00 AM
01/30/18 02:00 AM
garnett kansas
rhad Offline
super stock
rhad  Offline
super stock

garnett kansas
i was just involved in changing a 4.0 engine in a 07 nitro,you have to pull the intake to change the plugs on it!!fyi

my ladder of success is missing some rungs
Re: My Journey in life [Re: yella71] #2443262
01/30/18 04:24 AM
01/30/18 04:24 AM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline OP
master
dodgeram440  Offline OP
master

Piqua, Ohio
Originally Posted By yella71
Im betting it has copper plugs in it as OE, mopar is famous for being cheap. I cant remember seeing platinum or iridium plugs in any Chrysler product unless some one put them in after the fact. anyway, what difference does it make what plug came from the factory in it, just buy the plugs you like that are correct for it and put them in, don't over think it. as far as the heat that's an across the board thing with mopar also... don't know what to tell you on that
[quote=yella71]

I get that using brand names comes down to a personal preference. For example, I wouldn’t use Bosch plugs in a lawn mower. Those things are just absolute junk. But I have seen where certain brands work better in certain makes: ACDelco works best in GM cars, I’ve always used Champions in my older Mopars, but I’m not familiar with these modern cars at all.

And as far as copper vs platinum, there is a big difference. If you use copper in place of platinum, you’ll burn the plugs up in no time at all because the ignition burns so hot. Platinum might work ok in place of copper, but the ignition isn’t as strong and may not give a hot enough spark.

Haven’t called the dealer about it, but the part store websites only list platinum or iridium, so I can’t see the factory using copper.

Re: My Journey in life [Re: rhad] #2443263
01/30/18 04:27 AM
01/30/18 04:27 AM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline OP
master
dodgeram440  Offline OP
master

Piqua, Ohio
Originally Posted By rhad
i was just involved in changing a 4.0 engine in a 07 nitro,you have to pull the intake to change the plugs on it!!fyi

This is the kind of info I’m looking for. I was avoiding opening the hood right now because it’s cold as hell here right now and I hate opening the hood on this thing. It’s so depressing. So now I’m going to have to open it, pull the blasted engine cover off and confirm that the intake sits over the backside plugs. Thanks.

Re: My Journey in life [Re: a12rag] #2443265
01/30/18 04:29 AM
01/30/18 04:29 AM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline OP
master
dodgeram440  Offline OP
master

Piqua, Ohio
Originally Posted By a12rag
check the journey forum . . . am sure they have answers there . . . as for the plugs, check with dealership for factory oem . . . my 06 Magnum RT AWD with 5.7 hemi, uses copper plugs.

Do you have a link for this Journey forum? Thanks.

Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2443285
01/30/18 09:39 AM
01/30/18 09:39 AM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
T

Niles , Ohio
My 12 has the 3.6.Its a night mare to change plugs Has 91K on it now.probally sprijg it will get new plugs.IIRC the 3.5 should not be that bad .Been a while since Ive looked at one though.I guess the rear struts are a pain also.Ill probally change them this spring also.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: My Journey in life [Re: dodgeram440] #2443314
01/30/18 11:47 AM
01/30/18 11:47 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Ride it out until spring then get rid of it. I personally know 4 people who have had the misfortune of owning a Journey. They are JUNK JUNK JUNK.

If it makes you feel any better, a guy I work with was quoted 1k yesterday by the local dodge dealer to change the alternator in his caliber. He looked it on online and his options are to either go from the top and remove the power steering pump, undo a motor mount and push the engine back or go from the bottom, remove the shields and covers, remove the a/c compressor and wiggle it out. Another brilliant piece of chrysler engineering.

2 minutes of searching shows this is a common problem with these journeys. Sounds like either one of the electric blend door motor actuators is bad or the plastic shaft the actuator rotates has snapped.

Re: My Journey in life [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #2443349
01/30/18 12:53 PM
01/30/18 12:53 PM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
Originally Posted By DaytonaTurbo
If it makes you feel any better, a guy I work with was quoted 1k yesterday by the local dodge dealer to change the alternator in his caliber. He looked it on online and his options are to either go from the top and remove the power steering pump, undo a motor mount and push the engine back or go from the bottom, remove the shields and covers, remove the a/c compressor and wiggle it out. Another brilliant piece of chrysler engineering.

This is bringing back some PTSD for me. I owned one of those turds and the alternator died a day before Easter. I replaced it myself and had to go through the bottom exactly how you described, so I was only out the $220 for the alternator. Took me six hours since there were no service manuals because Chrysler wouldn't license Haynes or Chiltons to make one for that line at the time.

To compound it all, the alternator itself was fine. What failed was the damn clutch. Who the hell puts a clutch on an alternator?!

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: My Journey in life [Re: MarkZ] #2443362
01/30/18 01:18 PM
01/30/18 01:18 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By MarkM

This is bringing back some PTSD for me. I owned one of those turds and the alternator died a day before Easter. I replaced it myself and had to go through the bottom exactly how you described, so I was only out the $220 for the alternator. Took me six hours since there were no service manuals because Chrysler wouldn't license Haynes or Chiltons to make one for that line at the time.

To compound it all, the alternator itself was fine. What failed was the damn clutch. Who the hell puts a clutch on an alternator?!

He's going to do his himself as well. He's a mechanic at the shop I work at but he's down to only one car for him and his wife/kid so he thought he would ask the dodge dealer how much just to see if if would be worth it. They quoted $500 for the alternator and $600 for labor. He bought an alternator for $230 from the local parts store and now needs to decide when to bring it in for the day of four letter words.

Re: My Journey in life [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #2443394
01/30/18 02:04 PM
01/30/18 02:04 PM
Lost and Spaced
B
bboogieart Offline
master
bboogieart  Offline
master
B

Lost and Spaced
moparts is still a great site, up
patients is a virtue.

Used to be mostly for vintage tin.
It's slowly getting acclimated to the modern "JUNK"
Maybe we need two tech forums now.
I really miss the vintage stuff on the truck pages.
Modern stuff to me sounds a lot like plug and play tech. whistling

This is why I still drive '70s beaters for daily driver werk.

We buy used minivans for the 'ole gal. She likes 'em.
Besides tires and brakes, all werk is done at shops.
To me, they are throw a ways.
I am not capable of, or willing to learn how, to deal with modern stuff.

My local shop wants $300+ for v-6 spark plug replacement. $85 an hour shop rate plus parts. They need to remove the entire windshield wiper assembly to get at the rear plugs. shruggy

We had a 2000 Sport that ran up to 295,000 + miles.
Had the plugs changed in it.
The tech said the electrodes were gone.
Figured they were original.
Dash smoked itself 5 days later.

She keeps getting the throw away minis and I drive my 76 pick-up year round. Yes it's rusted but pull the choke and it starts.

Everybody is happy here.

Just one Old fartz opinion.

I have mechanical Aptitude.
I can screw up anything.
Re: My Journey in life [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #2443496
01/30/18 04:16 PM
01/30/18 04:16 PM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline OP
master
dodgeram440  Offline OP
master

Piqua, Ohio
Originally Posted By DaytonaTurbo
Ride it out until spring then get rid of it. I personally know 4 people who have had the misfortune of owning a Journey. They are JUNK JUNK JUNK.

2 minutes of searching shows this is a common problem with these journeys. Sounds like either one of the electric blend door motor actuators is bad or the plastic shaft the actuator rotates has snapped.

We are planning to get rid of it as soon as my wife gets the settlement from an accident she had. Some rocket scientist pulled out in front of her and she t-boned him. Fortunately she wasn't going very fast and only scuffed the bumper on our car. Messed his up bad. I am a little concerned though that the air bags didn't go off, but then that would have totaled the car.

We have had battery issues with this car for a long time. I cant tell you how many times the battery has been replaced. And every time they replace the battery they have to fix the cables and wires around it because they are loose or "messed up" somehow. But its the same dealership that has replaced the battery every time, so I have to wonder what they are really doing. The same dealership also fixed an issue with the AWD system and in the process messed up the exhaust to where it was slightly louder than it was. the tech tried to claim that the noise level was common for all AWD Journeys, but it wasn't that loud when we brought it in. My wife took it to another dealership who found that an exhaust flange had been clocked wrong. Fixed that and it is quiet now. So I don't have a lot of faith in my local dealership, but we use them because they are affiliated with the car lot we bought the car from and we can sometimes work a payment deal thru them for the repairs. Don't think we will be able to do that for the tune-up or the heat problem.

Sounds like we will just have to hope for an early spring. Of course, w live in Ohio where if you don't like the weather just wait 5 minutes, it will change.

Page 1 of 2 1 2