MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline OP
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline OP
I Live Here
J

MN
Over the last several years, HEMI Joel was bugging me to go with him on Drag Week. I turned down the chance until 2015, when Joel said he would at least bring a cool back up car, his '67 HEMI GTX convertible. I couldn't pass up that chance, and we had a blast, and I told Joel, I would go to Drag Week, as a Trunk Monkey, as long as he was going. It's addicting!

Fast forward to 2016, and Joel, and I arrived in Columbus again with his backup car... But this year I knew what to expect, and wasn't quite in awe as my rookie year, BUT you can then see it on the faces of new participants. Mopar Billy tells the best description of he possibly can of how and what Drag Week feels like, but until you are actually there, and part of it, it CAN'T be described. It's a drug.

On Monday, while waiting for Joel, Jay Brown, and our friend Kevin to run, everyone was getting hungry, so I wondered off to the concession stand to get our crew some food. While in line I met up with Paul, and Joe Castiglione out of New York. Paul was racing his Bright Yellow Challenger, and Joe was following the route with his custom Peterbilt. These guys had grins ear to ear, and were having a ball. Over the week, we met up a few times, and the brothers were always smiling, joking, and had a great time. We keep in touch on Facebook, and it's always cool seeing how close their family is, and the passion they have for Hot Rods, and trucks.

Fast forward to about a month ago, and Kevin, aka: thatdarncat, posted on my Facebook page a local 69 Road Runner for sale, that had been a bracket car for about the last 30 years. The guy that once owned the car was a local legend, and EVERYONE that met Barry, liked him. Unfortunately he passed from cancer about a year ago, and the family sold it another racer, Tom. I think owning a car that was so well known by everyone local, it's hard to have it feel like it is YOUR car, so Tom decided to put the Runner up for sale. When Kevin posted the car for sale, Joe instantly fell in love with the car, and asked if I could get more info on the car, and contact info. I got him everything he needed, and Joe, and Tom made a deal. It would be 3 weeks before the two could meet, up and finalize the deal. Well today Joe made the 1294 mile one way trip to Hudson Wisconsin, and loaded the car up!

At the drivers meeting at Drag Week, David Frieburger lets everyone know, if you are a introvert, you better come out of your shell, because you never know who on Drag Week will change your life... His statement is very true.

I can't wait to see what Joe does with this car to make it his own, and he has talked about making it street legal again, and joining his brother on Drag Week! The car couldn't have gone to a nicer guy.

Mack1.jpgmack2.jpgMack6.jpg

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: JERICOGTX] #2402008
11/11/17 05:24 PM
11/11/17 05:24 PM
Puyallup, WA
S
StealthWedge67 Offline
master
StealthWedge67  Offline
master
S

Puyallup, WA
šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘. Great post Jerico! HotRod culture and comradery at its finest!
I would love to experience drag week and meet as many like minded people as possible!.... and Iā€™m hopeful that someday I can.

LemonWedge - Street heavy / Strip ready - 11.07 @ 120
Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: JERICOGTX] #2402038
11/11/17 06:38 PM
11/11/17 06:38 PM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
Great story.Thanks for sharing.Next year should be off the charts.Larson,Cline and a few others that havent been for 5 or 6 years will be returning.

Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: JERICOGTX] #2402053
11/11/17 07:10 PM
11/11/17 07:10 PM
Minnesota
Hemi_Joel Offline
master
Hemi_Joel  Offline
master

Minnesota
Jeff, its' true! Drag Week definitely expands your circle of friends. And it sucks you in and hooks you. But Jeff has had it easy lapping Drag Week in my parade car. wink Next year Jeff, I am going to work your butt off on Drag Week! stirthepot

My first Drag Week was as trunk monkey for Jay Brown, and it was a trial by fire. By the end of sunday test day, we had fragged a blower and roasted the transmission. Then blew a trans cooler that oiled the brakes, broke a shock mount, broke a header, dealt with leaking slicks, jammed the oil pump and broke off the oil pump drive shaft plus a bunch of little challenges. We fixed all that thoughout the week, and somehow managed to make it to the next track every day, and finish second in class. Sleep was a rare occurence.

Like a woman who has been thru childbirth, when it was over I said " I can't wait for next time!"

click here for Joel and Jays 2007 Drag Week adventure

[img]http://i.imgur.com/boeexFms.jpg[/img]
31 Plymouth Coupe, 392 Hemi, T56 magnum
RS23J71
RS27J77
RP23J71
RO23J71
WM21J8A
I don't regret the things I've done. I only regret the things I didn't do.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. ~ Plato"
Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: Hemi_Joel] #2402097
11/11/17 08:06 PM
11/11/17 08:06 PM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
Originally Posted By Hemi_Joel
Jeff, its' true! Drag Week definitely expands your circle of friends. And it sucks you in and hooks you. But Jeff has had it easy lapping Drag Week in my parade car. wink Next year Jeff, I am going to work your butt off on Drag Week! stirthepot

My first Drag Week was as trunk monkey for Jay Brown, and it was a trial by fire. By the end of sunday test day, we had fragged a blower and roasted the transmission. Then blew a trans cooler that oiled the brakes, broke a shock mount, broke a header, dealt with leaking slicks, jammed the oil pump and broke off the oil pump drive shaft plus a bunch of little challenges. We fixed all that thoughout the week, and somehow managed to make it to the next track every day, and finish second in class. Sleep was a rare occurence.

Like a woman who has been thru childbirth, when it was over I said " I can't wait for next time!"

click here for Joel and Jays 2007 Drag Week adventure

You and Billy's stories are one of the reasons I decided to do Drag Week. I have now completed 5. I am not sure if I owe you guys a thanks or if you guys owe me an apology lol.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: JERICOGTX] #2402242
11/11/17 11:29 PM
11/11/17 11:29 PM
Spahn Ranch
RMCHRGR Offline
top fuel
RMCHRGR  Offline
top fuel

Spahn Ranch
I would love to participate in Drag Week, seems like a really cool experience. One of these years!

'71 Duster
'17 Ram 1500
Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: RMCHRGR] #2402295
11/12/17 12:54 AM
11/12/17 12:54 AM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Its already changed my life. I watch all the vids I can of it and you guys that participate in it keep me glued to it.

I have to live thru you guys and the people participating in it for now with envy.

I will switch my car to a G3 this year in hopes of one day being able to participate in Drag Week.

Unfortunately the job I loved for the last 7 years where I had the vacation time available to me, is now gone and my new job will not allow me any....so I am stuck. But hopefully I can make it a Drag Week capable car, and be ready one day.

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: JERICOGTX] #2402399
11/12/17 10:39 AM
11/12/17 10:39 AM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
I didnt go this past year. I watched the live feed the whole time. Someone stopped by my garage and was asking me how I could sit there for hours and hours and watch the live feed. I said it no different than watching racing, football or any other sport except that I know most everyone and enjoy routing for each of my friends that I have made

In 2016, I wrecked my car. And if it wasn't for this site I may never have met Brad Bowers. Somehow I tracked down and started talking to Brad over 10 years ago when I ended up with a set of ported sb edelbrock that once belonged to him. When I wrecked my car, it was him and his buddy Tory that saved the day. Me and my gf spent a day over Tory's house a few months ago and I now talk to those guys daily.

Tory and Brad shipping me parts to get my car back together and my copilot bought me a new set of wheels. I would have never been able to pay for this stuff to get my car back together. It took months after DW was over to pay everyone back and I worked my ass off to do that and they said it a hundred times, that they were just happy to be a part of my win. And I am so grateful for what everyone did for me.

My 06 and 08 DW experiences with Eddie were completely exhauating over a 9-10 day stretch and amazing experiences. My 2016 DW was completely exhausting over a 8 month stretch.

Mopar Billy and his family are on another level of complete insanity. Well deserving of the Spirit of Drag Week award. I always say I want to follow those guys on the route but the truth is that they just scare me that I wouldn't have the energy to keep up with them

Last edited by sixpackgut; 11/12/17 11:07 AM.

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: JERICOGTX] #2402417
11/12/17 11:44 AM
11/12/17 11:44 AM
Chicken coop
dustergirl340 Offline
Chicken Little
dustergirl340  Offline
Chicken Little

Chicken coop
Drag Week is on my bucket list!

Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: JERICOGTX] #2402451
11/12/17 01:09 PM
11/12/17 01:09 PM
omahell, ne
B
buconine Offline
enthusiast
buconine  Offline
enthusiast
B

omahell, ne
The stories on here of drag week adventures were inspiration for my father and i to start planning our own trip to drag week in my 15 scat pack challenger. He unfortunately passed suddenly from pneumonia complications and we never got to make the trip. I sold the challenger to help with his estate but never gave up the dream of at least being at a drag week. I made it to cordova this year as a spectator and had a riot. My Dad would have loved it! Hopefully i can get my valiant finished in the next few years and try and make the full event. Thanks to everyone on here for their tales of dw.

z16.jpg
Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: buconine] #2402706
11/12/17 08:42 PM
11/12/17 08:42 PM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline OP
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline OP
I Live Here
J

MN
What Hot Rodding is all about right here!

IMG_6916.JPG

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: JERICOGTX] #2403172
11/13/17 07:27 PM
11/13/17 07:27 PM
lancaster,california
johnnycuda Offline
super stock
johnnycuda  Offline
super stock

lancaster,california
I really want to do DW at least once, after reading MoparBillys tales.
I ran the first Drag Weekend in Arizona, Oct. 2015, and had a blast, met some good people, some from this site, even Billy himself stopped by while we were at Phoenix to say hello.
Being out here in Cali, and most likely driving alone here to there, then DW itself and back alone would be kinda tough, so we'll see.

1970 'Cuda,Lime Light,499 Indy S/R's 10.70's @125,street driven ALOT!
1966 Barracuda 360,now a 5spd,Hemi Orange,Hot Rod Air,
New daily driver-2003 Ram 2500 Cummins 5.9
'69 Valiant 2-dr, sleeper!
New project---1938 Dodge truck, plan is a 360 with a A500, AC, Calvert rear susp., rack and pinion front with coils.
Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: johnnycuda] #2403242
11/13/17 09:33 PM
11/13/17 09:33 PM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline OP
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline OP
I Live Here
J

MN
Originally Posted By johnnycuda
I ran the first Drag Weekend in Arizona, Oct. 2015, and had a blast, met some good people, some from this site, even Billy himself stopped by while we were at Phoenix to say hello.
Being out here in Cali, and most likely driving alone here to there, then DW itself and back alone would be kinda tough, so we'll see.

You could always tag along with someone once you get to DW. As Billy has mentioned, their family and many others have had empty Trunk Monkey seats. I don't think the Aussie Chevelle guys have ever had a hotel reservation booked before arriving, but somehow find a place to sleep.

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: JERICOGTX] #2403247
11/13/17 09:40 PM
11/13/17 09:40 PM
alaska,usa
9secondsatellite Offline
mopar
9secondsatellite  Offline
mopar

alaska,usa
Originally Posted By JERICOGTX
Over the last several years, HEMI Joel was bugging me to go with him on Drag Week. I turned down the chance until 2015, when Joel said he would at least bring a cool back up car, his '67 HEMI GTX convertible. I couldn't pass up that chance, and we had a blast, and I told Joel, I would go to Drag Week, as a Trunk Monkey, as long as he was going. It's addicting!

Fast forward to 2016, and Joel, and I arrived in Columbus again with his backup car... But this year I knew what to expect, and wasn't quite in awe as my rookie year, BUT you can then see it on the faces of new participants. Mopar Billy tells the best description of he possibly can of how and what Drag Week feels like, but until you are actually there, and part of it, it CAN'T be described. It's a drug.

On Monday, while waiting for Joel, Jay Brown, and our friend Kevin to run, everyone was getting hungry, so I wondered off to the concession stand to get our crew some food. While in line I met up with Paul, and Joe Castiglione out of New York. Paul was racing his Bright Yellow Challenger, and Joe was following the route with his custom Peterbilt. These guys had grins ear to ear, and were having a ball. Over the week, we met up a few times, and the brothers were always smiling, joking, and had a great time. We keep in touch on Facebook, and it's always cool seeing how close their family is, and the passion they have for Hot Rods, and trucks.

Fast forward to about a month ago, and Kevin, aka: thatdarncat, posted on my Facebook page a local 69 Road Runner for sale, that had been a bracket car for about the last 30 years. The guy that once owned the car was a local legend, and EVERYONE that met Barry, liked him. Unfortunately he passed from cancer about a year ago, and the family sold it another racer, Tom. I think owning a car that was so well known by everyone local, it's hard to have it feel like it is YOUR car, so Tom decided to put the Runner up for sale. When Kevin posted the car for sale, Joe instantly fell in love with the car, and asked if I could get more info on the car, and contact info. I got him everything he needed, and Joe, and Tom made a deal. It would be 3 weeks before the two could meet, up and finalize the deal. Well today Joe made the 1294 mile one way trip to Hudson Wisconsin, and loaded the car up!

At the drivers meeting at Drag Week, David Frieburger lets everyone know, if you are a introvert, you better come out of your shell, because you never know who on Drag Week will change your life... His statement is very true.

I can't wait to see what Joe does with this car to make it his own, and he has talked about making it street legal again, and joining his brother on Drag Week! The car couldn't have gone to a nicer guy.
awesome story you posted. my wife and i too met Joe and Paul at drag week 2016, along with Pauls son Paulie. they are great guys and we keep in touch as well. you are correct, that car couldn't have gone a better family and a better guy.

Last edited by 9secondsatellite; 11/16/17 07:18 PM.
Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: buconine] #2403492
11/14/17 01:46 PM
11/14/17 01:46 PM
Metro Detroit
OUTLAWD Offline
top fuel
OUTLAWD  Offline
top fuel

Metro Detroit
After years of reading Billy's and Ray's stories and wasting all week at work watching the live feed, I finally made the plunge in 2016. My father was the trunk monkey in the car he/we built as I was growing up.

I took the advice of others, and had a pretty well sorted combo, and only had to open the dumps and adjust tire pressure when we got to the track in the morning. Billy joked that we were making it look easy after his tales of trials and tribulations. I will say that while an uneventful week was still long, it didn't make for nearly as entertaining as a story. We had a blast, but didn't socialize too much as we were part of the "one and done" crowd and weren't hanging around the tracks too late.

It is addicting, and I will be back, but I told myself I wouldn't return until I could be competitive in the class I was entered. Hoping to start on my dart this winter...but a new house might interfere with those plans

Last edited by OUTLAWD; 11/14/17 01:46 PM.

Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...

71 Swinger - slowly collecting dust/parts
66 Belv. II - just a streetcar
88 Mustang - turbo LS beater
Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: JERICOGTX] #2403538
11/14/17 04:09 PM
11/14/17 04:09 PM
lancaster,california
johnnycuda Offline
super stock
johnnycuda  Offline
super stock

lancaster,california
Originally Posted By JERICOGTX
Originally Posted By johnnycuda

You could always tag along with someone once you get to DW. As Billy has mentioned, their family and many others have had empty Trunk Monkey seats. I don't think the Aussie Chevelle guys have ever had a hotel reservation booked before arriving, but somehow find a place to sleep.

I've thought about it, but would rather get to run my own car, but its a option.

1970 'Cuda,Lime Light,499 Indy S/R's 10.70's @125,street driven ALOT!
1966 Barracuda 360,now a 5spd,Hemi Orange,Hot Rod Air,
New daily driver-2003 Ram 2500 Cummins 5.9
'69 Valiant 2-dr, sleeper!
New project---1938 Dodge truck, plan is a 360 with a A500, AC, Calvert rear susp., rack and pinion front with coils.
Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: JERICOGTX] #2403656
11/14/17 07:56 PM
11/14/17 07:56 PM
Plymouth, MI
Blusmbl Offline
master
Blusmbl  Offline
master

Plymouth, MI
Awesome stories! Looking forward to see that RR on the live feed next year. Like several of you I went to one or two of the days and have put it on my bucket list to do. Have to find a car first but will make it happen someday.

'18 Ford Raptor, random motorcycles, 1968 Plymouth Fury III - 11.37 @ 118
Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: JERICOGTX] #2403708
11/14/17 09:37 PM
Amarillo, Texas
BBR Offline
master
BBR  Offline
master

Amarillo, Texas
Moparts seriously needs a LIKE button. smile

Every year we do not get to go, we stream it on the big tv at the office.

2011 was my first year and on registration day, I kept thinking "I can't believe I'm really here, at Drag Week! This must be a dream". Haha

It gets in your blood to the point where "DragWeek-ibility" weighs in to every little change you make to the car.

Love it, and love that my kids are excited about doing it too!

Drag Week 2011 - 77th place - DD
Drag Week 2012 - 2nd place SRBB N/A
Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020
Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: JERICOGTX] #2403709
Akron, Ohio
ProSport Offline
I Live Here
ProSport  Offline
I Live Here

Akron, Ohio
Quote:
Mopar Billy and his family are on another level of complete insanity. Well deserving of the Spirit of Drag Week award. I always say I want to follow those guys on the route but the truth is that they just scare me that I wouldn't have the energy to keep up with them

I have a couple friends that do Dragweek, blue twin turbo Geo Tracker, and I pretty much know that I wouldn't be able to handle Dragweek. I don't even like driving long distance in a comfortable SUV let alone a hot rod lol. If I made myself do it I would enjoy it though, my Duster would be good for it as I already drive it a lot, especially if I were able to put an overdrive in it.

1970 Challenger, all aluminum 528 Hemi, HDK suspension, Tremec 5 speed manual
Re: How Drag Week might change your life... [Re: ProSport] #2403763
11/14/17 11:33 PM
11/14/17 11:33 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Does Hot Rod magazine put any money up for winning or completing this deal ? If not, why not?
They make a lot of magazine sells off of this deal, correct work
If I'm going to put my time, money and effort into competing in any competive automotive deal like this I want to be compensated if and when I win :twocents
Is there any side betting between competitors that a guy can make some money back on whistling devil

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 11/14/17 11:36 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Page 1 of 2 1 2