St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
D
David_in_St_Croi Offline OP
top fuel
David_in_St_Croi  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Thanks Dan. I have a brass feeler gauge just for that purpose.

https://www.facebook.com/THENEWCDRA

Proud member of the liberal scientific elite
Re: It just died!!!!!!! [Re: cgall] #240218
03/02/09 10:23 PM
03/02/09 10:23 PM
D
top fuel
top fuel
D

Quote:

David, did you check the carbon button, as Mr. P suggested? I had one wore away to nothing, left that cap on there too long. Now I check it frequently, they start out about 1/2" long.

Sorry, forgot to mention that. The carbon button is still there. I will make a note of the length of the button in the new cap. It is the style of button where the button is fixed and the rotor has a sprung up section and it seems to have good conatact. I think if that were the problem I would have got a spark from the coil wire when I rotated the reductor past the pickup. We did have the carbon button wear out on the cap of Michelle's Land Rover. It would definitely not run without that piece

Last edited by David_in_St_Croi; 03/02/09 10:24 PM.

Re: It just died!!!!!!! [Re: David_in_St_Croi] #240219
03/02/09 10:29 PM
03/02/09 10:29 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Good luck... sounds like you got it figured out

Re: It just died!!!!!!! Update, now runs!!! [Re: MR_P_BODY] #240220
03/06/09 09:19 AM
03/06/09 09:19 AM
D
top fuel
top fuel
D

Thanks to everyone for the help.

I purchased a new pickup coil assembly through Rock Auto, along with a new cap and rotor. I initially installed just the pickup coil in order to confirm it as the culprit and it fired right up but clearly the ignition timing had been changed. I am pretty sure I put the reductor on in a different location. I did not realize that the reductor was not splined until I had it mostly off. I put it back on in what seemed to be a close location, actually there is a groove in the shaft below the shoulder for the reductor so I lined up the roll pin groove in the reductor with the groove in the shaft.

I then installed the new cap and rotor and did a better timing job. I first turned the engine until it was at ~18 BTDC and lined the reductor point up with the pickup. That got it running and then I took it from there with a timing light. It seems to run just fine, maybe a little better due to the new cap and rotor. It took a bit of fiddling to get a reductor gap that worked on all eight points.

I did carefully look at the old pickup coil and finally found the culprit. The pickup coil that was in the distributor is wound with a bunch of tiny copper wire and then that is wrapped with a bit of tape. This leaves those tiny wires exposed to the elements. One of the ends of the wire had broken, it was hard to see. The replacement pickup coil (AC Delco) is fully sealed so hopefully it will last much longer.

Re: It just died!!!!!!! Update, now runs!!! [Re: David_in_St_Croi] #240221
03/06/09 12:05 PM
03/06/09 12:05 PM
NC
440Jim Offline
I Live Here
440Jim  Offline
I Live Here

NC
Glad to hear you fixed it.

I just read this post today and was going to suggest checking the resistance of the distributor pickup. Typically they fail open circuit (infinite resistance), but a real high value would be bad also. I didn't have the typical resistance handy, but I could have measured one for you for a reference. But you got a new one and it works.

Re: It just died!!!!!!! Update, now runs!!! [Re: 440Jim] #240222
03/06/09 12:37 PM
03/06/09 12:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

it would be a good idea to check the phasing of your reluctor vs. the rotor now also, since you changed the reluctor too.

Re: It just died!!!!!!! Update, now runs!!! [Re: 440Jim] #240223
03/06/09 10:20 PM
03/06/09 10:20 PM
D
top fuel
top fuel
D

Quote:

Glad to hear you fixed it.

I just read this post today and was going to suggest checking the resistance of the distributor pickup. Typically they fail open circuit (infinite resistance), but a real high value would be bad also. I didn't have the typical resistance handy, but I could have measured one for you for a reference. But you got a new one and it works.

Good point, I should measure the new one and note that number. The old one was definitely bad, and it failed as you mention, infinite resistance, the multimeter did not even flicker even when you scraped the probes to get a good contact. The circuit was definitely open.

Dan, I will do that phasing check in the morning, thanks for the explanation earlier.

Page 2 of 2 1 2