10/31/17 12:30 AM
10/31/17 12:30 AM
Cotati, CA
Dave Hall Offline
top fuel
Dave Hall  Offline
top fuel

Cotati, CA
Thank God we were at a Div. race and one of Cookies buddy's had it happen to him so we found out. But we still missed a qualifier. Didn't know about the leaving it on thing. Good info!

Re: Stupid questions???? [Re: Cab_Burge] #2395912
10/31/17 09:54 AM
10/31/17 09:54 AM
Northern N.J.
hemi_doug Offline
master
hemi_doug  Offline
master

Northern N.J.
Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
On your deal with them little bitty front tires, they will punish the driver every time they stage different shruggy
Lots of variables on the car and driver that need a lot of attention and work to make a good driver good up

Well Cab, all I can tell you is that a 1/16 of an inch is the difference between a good light and a bad one. When you are living on the edge of the red light it can make the difference. She will roll into the beams and just light the stage light (not flicker but solid). She tries not to go deeper as that will cause variance in the stage. I've see her on numerous occasions go back to back identical reaction times. The quality of the light begins with the stage, no two ways about it. I can tell what kind of a light she will have just by how she stages the car. If she does go in deeper, she will lift her foot off the pedal to compensate.

71 440-6 4spd & 69 Hemi 4spd
Re: Stupid questions???? [Re: 70dusterjohn] #2396114
10/31/17 03:50 PM
10/31/17 03:50 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
It is ALL about consistency. On the starting line with the car and your mindset.

As for practice trees, it is like hitting a baseball of a tee. Players never enjoy it but its all about muscle memory. You do not need to be in your car suited up and have a full size tree to reap the benefits. Any ole practice tree or app on your phone will work just fine. Its about teaching and working the muscles used in letting go of the button. Would setting in your car fully dressed with a full size tree and your car staged exactly how it would be on the track be beneficial, I am sure it would be especially mentally to the driver. But its not necessary. Just teaching yourself and your muscles involved to react to a flash is what you are after. Don't look for a .000 every time either. What is truly important is grouping numbers together. That is teaching you to react consistently to the flash. Nothing can be done if you CANNOT group your reaction times together consistently over a small margin. FWIW both my son and I can usually be around a .005-.007 grouping. In otherwords not varying more than .005-.007 from best to worst.

Once you can get a tight grouping its just putting it into practice on the track. Does it mean you will be .005, nope. But you can adjust the car to help get it to react quicker. Be it an adjustable switch, delay box, tire pressure, launch rpm etc. Then it is time to make the car consistent. That is one I think MANY people don't work hard enough on this area at all. Not to mention you need to learn to be a jr meteorologist especially if running division stuff or multi day big dollar bracket races where they don't run times runs daily. The there is the whole driving line strategy part and knowing your opponents...On and on....

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Stupid questions???? [Re: 70dusterjohn] #2397013
11/01/17 10:34 PM
11/01/17 10:34 PM
Indiana
MFR440 Offline
super stock
MFR440  Offline
super stock

Indiana
Lots of good comments here from both sides of the fence.

Somebody mentioned that it takes the money out of the equation, but I disagree. Most of the hitters in box racing have multiple cars and multiple entries at multiple races every weekend. Not that there aren't no-boxers doing the same, but my observation has been far more box racers have the means to do so. More cars/entries means more shots at the tree, which means more practice. Look at the NHRA sportsman national champions over the last few years and see how many of them run 2 cars at national events. From Super Comp on down to Stock...

Also, more $$ means a faster car, which in ET racing the faster car still has 2 advantages: 1. the opponent has the 1st chance to redlight, and 2. Coming from behind makes it easier to judge the stripe. Easy? NO! Easier, yes...lol

A box only gives you an obvious advantage if you are the only one that has it. Don't think that just because you get a box that you will win races. It comes down to practice, consistency, and even some LUCK.

Re: Stupid questions???? [Re: Al_Alguire] #2397037
11/01/17 10:57 PM
11/01/17 10:57 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
It is ALL about consistency. On the starting line with the car and your mindset.

As for practice trees, it is like hitting a baseball of a tee. Players never enjoy it but its all about muscle memory. You do not need to be in your car suited up and have a full size tree to reap the benefits. Any ole practice tree or app on your phone will work just fine. Its about teaching and working the muscles used in letting go of the button. Would setting in your car fully dressed with a full size tree and your car staged exactly how it would be on the track be beneficial, I am sure it would be especially mentally to the driver. But its not necessary. Just teaching yourself and your muscles involved to react to a flash is what you are after. Don't look for a .000 every time either. What is truly important is grouping numbers together. That is teaching you to react consistently to the flash. Nothing can be done if you CANNOT group your reaction times together consistently over a small margin. FWIW both my son and I can usually be around a .005-.007 grouping. In otherwords not varying more than .005-.007 from best to worst.

Once you can get a tight grouping its just putting it into practice on the track. Does it mean you will be .005, nope. But you can adjust the car to help get it to react quicker. Be it an adjustable switch, delay box, tire pressure, launch rpm etc. Then it is time to make the car consistent. That is one I think MANY people don't work hard enough on this area at all. Not to mention you need to learn to be a jr meteorologist especially if running division stuff or multi day big dollar bracket races where they don't run times runs daily. The there is the whole driving line strategy part and knowing your opponents...On and on....

I agree fully. You can't go for the throat by setting up for a tight light if your spread is wide. Leaving off the bottom is even tougher to keep the grouping tight.
Doug

Re: Stupid questions???? [Re: 70dusterjohn] #2397622
11/03/17 12:34 AM
11/03/17 12:34 AM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
A practice tree can be beneficial. I have one of the Biondo full size units. Set it up in the shop in front of my car. Made a jumper harness to allow me to use the switch in the car instead of the little button that the came with the practice tree. That way you're using the same switch, hand position, etc. as when you are racing. Also allows you to experiment with different switches, hand positions or what ever. And you verify switch function.

We had kids coming out of Juniors jumping right into .90 cars. A kid with 8 or 9 years experience and 17 year old, video game tuned up hand-eye coordination could embarrass an old man if he wasn't on his game.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Stupid questions???? [Re: CMcAllister] #2397659
11/03/17 01:46 AM
11/03/17 01:46 AM
Cotati, CA
Dave Hall Offline
top fuel
Dave Hall  Offline
top fuel

Cotati, CA
Definitely advantageous to start them young. Should be a law against it or something... coffee

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3