P
pjc360 Offline OP
mopar
pjc360  Offline OP
mopar
P

montana
Originally Posted By RapidRobert
My take: it sounds like you would have to sue him if his 2nd one is faulty. He does not deserve anymore of your business. You could purchase a second one if you are willing to continue this bad deal/& if you are willing to take it up a level (sueing) if it too is junk & I;d say the odds are that it will be bad). Just me I would get another dist elsewhere (I like OE 70's electronic ones myself) & call it over & know that you are not alone haveing been dealt this hand. I had to do that with that crook Ben Gorman of Promax in Indianapolis when he sold me some chinese knockoff EQ heads that were all messed up when I ordered genuine EQ's. there is a company called Promaxx & that is another company altogether (& straight up iirc). EDIT I just read your above post, they just dont want to send you another one for free

Ya he's trying to shift the blame everywhere else but with his company.
He just try's to argue that rotor phasing doesn't exist and that I've modified the unit by installing different reluctors lol.
I was optimistic about firecore, thinking that they are not too big of a company yet and maybe they still stand behind their products but after talking to him tonight I feel like I might as well have been speaking to an over seas sales rep for msd.
It's hard to find people that stand behind their products these days.
It's all about money. I feel like ordering a second distributor and documenting everything by video the second I open the package just to prove a point to Rick at firecore that it wasn't about the money to me, it's about the qaulity of his product and that there is an issue with it.
And if there isn't a problem with the second unit then great I'll run it but I'll still send the first one back to him and ask that it ether be fixed or replaced and if he refuses to then I'll just let everyone I know in this industry and hobby know that if they ever have an issue with one of his products they are gonna be left alone.
And I know a lot of mopar guys in person and online.
Your reputation has a lot to do with your success in this type of business.

Last edited by pjc360; 09/17/17 01:03 AM.
Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: pjc360] #2372302
09/17/17 06:06 PM
09/17/17 06:06 PM
montana
P
pjc360 Offline OP
mopar
pjc360  Offline OP
mopar
P

montana
Well it's in the hands of firecore now, I've sent firecore an email explaining the issues with pictures and videos using my (big words) like rotor phasing lol and asked that a second one be sent to me free of charge based on the fact that there was a problem with radial run out on the upper portion of the distributor shaft.
I find it hard to believe that installing a different reluctor damaged the bearing on the distributor shaft and if that is the case then that's one sad bearing they are installing into their distributors.

Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: pjc360] #2372410
09/17/17 10:13 PM
09/17/17 10:13 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I had heard that Firecore plug wires are the best hands down but after how they done you I will not be doing any business with them. A local guy had an issue with a local machine shop & he put an ad in the paper saying what they did wrong, the shop then posted an ad in the same section a day or two later saying that they DO do good work. I heard a story decades ago about a unhappy customer who parked his car with issues in front of the dealership that he said had done him wrong, not sure how it turned out but one unhappy customer will cost a business tons of business and any smart business owner takes pains to keep everybody happy. I'm surprised that Firecore don't seem to be worried that we have 24K Mopar members here & he may loose alot more than the price of (1) dist.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: RapidRobert] #2372430
09/17/17 11:00 PM
09/17/17 11:00 PM
montana
P
pjc360 Offline OP
mopar
pjc360  Offline OP
mopar
P

montana
I had heard that Firecore plug wires are the best hands down but after how they done you I will not be doing any business with them. A local guy had an issue with a local machine shop & he put an ad in the paper saying what they did wrong, the shop then posted an ad in the same section a day or two later saying that they DO do good work. I heard a story decades ago about a unhappy customer who parked his car with issues in front of the dealership that he said had done him wrong, not sure how it turned out but one unhappy customer will cost a business tons of business and any smart business owner takes pains to keep everybody happy. I'm surprised that Firecore don't seem to be worried that we have 24K Mopar members here & he may loose alot more than the price of (1) dist.

Ya I was kind of supirsied myself, if I were him my reputation would be worth a lot more then the 160 dollars that one of his distributors cost.
I'm still gonna give him a little bit more time since it is the weekend, but if I don't hear of a solution other then send it back to us and be without your vehicle untill we determine how we want to treat you over this issue then I'm going to give up on them doing what's right and ether order a second one and cross my fingers.
I like the looks of the firecore distributor and I love the advance plate, it's a solid set up in the advance plate and it's got the easy to adjust mechanical advance mechanism just like the old Mallory style mopar units.
But there was just something wrong with this particular unit, I'm thinking ether the housing wasn't machined right there fore the bearing wasn't fitting as tight as it should or somewhere in the assembly line the bearing was damaged when the shaft was installed or maybe the bearing that got put in this unit was bad from the get go, something happened on the assembly line that's for sure, me simply pulling a reluctor on and off shouldn't have caused this type of damage.
I did some digging around online and found two other guys that had the exact same issue with the exact same distributor, so that tells you that there are mistakes made on the assembly line.
Read through this, these two guys were having the exact same issue with radial run out on the upper portion of the distributor shaft causing the reluctor teeth to smack the pick up coil post. So it's obvious I'm not the first one to encounter this problem.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/firecore-distributor-issues.312032/

Last edited by pjc360; 09/17/17 11:12 PM.
Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: pjc360] #2372464
09/18/17 12:19 AM
09/18/17 12:19 AM
Cleveland
sunroofgtx Offline
I Live Here
sunroofgtx  Offline
I Live Here

Cleveland
Originally Posted By pjc360
they need to take it back & send you a good one. I ain't familiar with those dists but I sure thought it was too good to be true that the reluctor/magnet gap does not change when the can is applied (but if they have solved that then kudos to them). On OE dists it (vac adv) drastically increases that gap (in addition to the RP change) which does affect cyl to cyl timing.

The advance plate on the firecore distributor is solid, much better then the factory advance plate, I can vouch for their advance plate not moving when the vacuum advance is applied.
All 8 teeth remain the same gap with vacuum advance applied, the issue is the bearing between the shaft and the housing causing the shaft to have a lot of radial play.
But ya read my post above this one, he was kind of a duech on the phone and made him self look pretty bad by saying he had never heard of rotor phasing and that I caused the radial play by installing a different reluctor.

Unreal.. I have to speak up. Not ONE time did I ever say anything about you eating this..NEVER.. I called you back at 930 on a Saturday night. Nobody does that except me.. I care 100% about my customers happiness with our products. You sure shot your mouth off quickly before ever even letting us see the distributor. Moparts helped us get our business going 13 years ago. How quickly some forget. Wy would you even think for a second I wouldn't do something about this. How unfair. Send the distributor. How in the hell wouldn't I know what dist phasing is? Unreal.

Join the quickest team in motorsports. Team FireCore. CustomWiresets.com
Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: pjc360] #2372465
09/18/17 12:22 AM
09/18/17 12:22 AM
Cleveland
sunroofgtx Offline
I Live Here
sunroofgtx  Offline
I Live Here

Cleveland
And I might have been a duche, it was Sat night, you were getting nasty with me, and I buried two people who raised me that Saturday afternoon. I didn't have to answer or call you. I care about my product and customers. You haven't even given us a chance.

Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: RapidRobert] #2372475
09/18/17 12:52 AM
09/18/17 12:52 AM
Cleveland
sunroofgtx Offline
I Live Here
sunroofgtx  Offline
I Live Here

Cleveland

Robert, how can you state this? I've been on here and have helped hundreds and hundreds of members. Thrown thousands of dollars for Moparts only parties at race tracks and shows. Donated thousands of dollars of wires, distributors and coils for raffles, fundraisers, and other great reasons. The first I've even heard of this problem was on Friday night. After we were closed. Unreal. Let a guy who has been here for 15 years have a chance. geesh.

Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: sunroofgtx] #2372480
09/18/17 01:01 AM
09/18/17 01:01 AM
montana
P
pjc360 Offline OP
mopar
pjc360  Offline OP
mopar
P

montana
Originally Posted By sunroofgtx
And I might have been a duche, it was Sat night, you were getting nasty with me, and I buried two people who raised me that Saturday afternoon. I didn't have to answer or call you. I care about my product and customers. You haven't even given us a chance.

Umm ya I had called you earlier in the week describing the movement I was feeling on the upper half of the distributor shaft and you had said that's the advance mechanism and springs.
I was kind of skeptical of that but decided to take your word on it anyways.
Installed it after having installed the modified reluctor from ehrenberg, and heard the noise right away while watching the rotors postioton.
I only called you on Saturday cause you had called me from that number and left a voice mail asking me to call you back to discuss the rotor phasing issue more. I work Monday thru Friday 10 hour days, my lunch break during the week and The Weeknd is literally the only time I have to call people or do anything.
So yes you did call me back on Saturday but you basically said send it back and my tech department will decide your fate with this distributor.
I sent you photos of the phasing issue, videos of the radial play at the top half of the shaft, I've showed you pictures of the metal shavings on the pick up coil magnet.
What more evidence do you need that one of your distributors failed or has a qaulity control issue?
When I told you I was having a rotor phasing issue early last week, you literally said I have never heard of that before, and I was trying to do my best to explain rotor phasing And you just kept saying well you should be able to advance your timing or lower the timing, and I was trying to explain that the timing setting has nothing to do with rotor phasing.
Vacuum advance is the only thing that can affect it and I can't not run vacuum advance my fuel mileage would go down the drain even worse then it already is.
And you basically said that I had (modified) the distributor by installing a different reluctor.
You were pretty much giving me the impression that because I had installed a different reluctor that I messed up the distributor.
I showed you links to other mopar web pages with other guys having the exact same issue with the radial play at the reluctor side of the shaft.
I asked multiple times to have a second one sent to me free of charge based on these issues and was never given an answer.
I even offered to give firecore my debit card info while they were waiting for the arrival of the first unit to determine what failed and why and who's at fault for the failure.
You just basically said send me the one you bought not knowing if your going to be covered or not and have your vehicle down while we decide wether or not to take care of you.
If it were me I would have said another one is coming to you first thing Monday morning with a return tag for the otherness one send it back and try again, sorry for the inconvience.

Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: pjc360] #2372483
09/18/17 01:07 AM
09/18/17 01:07 AM
Cleveland
sunroofgtx Offline
I Live Here
sunroofgtx  Offline
I Live Here

Cleveland
It's Sunday...We are not in the office to take your number.. Holy smokes... Give us a chance during the workweek!! Never said maybe...Strictly said you need to send it in! I've been on here way to long to put my name on the line.. You are really being unfair..It's the weekend.. Had funeral activities ALL WEEKEND!! Didn't you have issues with every other distributor you have ever tried?

Last edited by sunroofgtx; 09/18/17 01:08 AM.

Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: pjc360] #2372486
09/18/17 01:12 AM
09/18/17 01:12 AM
Cleveland
sunroofgtx Offline
I Live Here
sunroofgtx  Offline
I Live Here

Cleveland
Going to bed. How long until the dist gets here? I'll look at this tomorrow.

Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: sunroofgtx] #2372513
09/18/17 02:10 AM
09/18/17 02:10 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:
Robert, how can you state this? I've been on here and have helped hundreds and hundreds of members. Thrown thousands of dollars for Moparts only parties at race tracks and shows. Donated thousands of dollars of wires, distributors and coils for raffles, fundraisers, and other great reasons. The first I've even heard of this problem was on Friday night. After we were closed. Unreal. Let a guy who has been here for 15 years have a chance. geesh.
I agree (& point taken) & with more thought I should have stuck to the technical part of the issue & hoped that it all worked out to everyones' satisfaction (which I'm sure it will). There is 2 sides to every situation & I only got his & it wasn't my business in the first place. I got to thinking about that Ben Gorman scam that he pulled on me & it got to me & got me fired up. My apologies bro.

Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: sunroofgtx] #2372645
09/18/17 12:06 PM
09/18/17 12:06 PM
montana
P
pjc360 Offline OP
mopar
pjc360  Offline OP
mopar
P

montana
Originally Posted By sunroofgtx
It's Sunday...We are not in the office to take your number.. Holy smokes... Give us a chance during the workweek!! Never said maybe...Strictly said you need to send it in! I've been on here way to long to put my name on the line.. You are really being unfair..It's the weekend.. Had funeral activities ALL WEEKEND!! Didn't you have issues with every other distributor you have ever tried?

No I ran a distributor from don at fbo systems for 5 years, I switched to a firecore because on dons unit the little tabs under the advance plate were starting to wear out un-evenly causing the advance plate to wobble around when the vacuum advance was applied.
Which made it impossible to set reluctor to pickup coil gap.
It was a solid unit for 5 years which I was more then happy with for the price I paid for it.
The mopar unit that I had before dons gave me some tuning fits, the advance curve was pretty messed up came in way to early.
I had said in one of my post above that I realize it's still the weekend and that I'd wait to hear of a solution that I feel works for me by the end of Monday.
I just felt I had provided enough evidence that this unit was not built properly from the beginning and that I was basically being told it was gonna be my fault for attempting to correct the rotor phasing by installing a different reluctor.
I gave you my name address if your sending me a second great soon as I have confirmation of that I'll send you the first one.
Or you could send a return tag with the second one and have tracking and shipping already dealt with.
Doesn't really matter to me, I just feel like this first unit falls under the category of qaulity
Controllnat the manufacturer.
Here is a pic of the little tabs on the bottom of the advance plate on dons unit that eventually wore down enough to cause some issues with the stability of the advance plate.

IMG_2658.JPG
Last edited by pjc360; 09/18/17 12:14 PM.
Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: pjc360] #2372744
09/18/17 02:40 PM
09/18/17 02:40 PM
Cleveland
sunroofgtx Offline
I Live Here
sunroofgtx  Offline
I Live Here

Cleveland
It's fine, but usually people wait until a manufacturer screws them before bashing.

Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: sunroofgtx] #2372826
09/18/17 04:50 PM
09/18/17 04:50 PM
chicagoland,usa
B
buildanother Offline
I Live Here
buildanother  Offline
I Live Here
B

chicagoland,usa
From initial description of problem, I would hope that it's not an imbalance issue afterall, after all this distrib mayhem. You're too far away, as I've had to pinpoint many probs over the years for many, and would love to 2 cents it. When I worked at Chev dealer, we installed a reman short block in a suburban IIRC, rebuilt from an outside builder and thing had weird vibration, so slight, but the customer was not liking or accepting it. Pulled the belts, pushed converter back in trans to eliminate them as being issue. The builder had us swap to new mounts(origs were still good) and there was no change. They ended up having a company come out to balance it in chassis with some fancy harmonic locating gizmo setup.

Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: pjc360] #2377460
09/26/17 11:44 PM
09/26/17 11:44 PM
montana
P
pjc360 Offline OP
mopar
pjc360  Offline OP
mopar
P

montana
I'd like everyone to know that this issue has been resolved.
I'd also like to apologize to Rick from firecore for getting an attitude with him and his company over the issue.
Rick sent me a new distributor and I'm happy to report that right out of the box everything was tight and ready to go, all 8 teeth on the reluctor were at .008 with and without vacuum advance being applied.
I set the mechanical advance to 16 degrees, dropped the distributor inn and set the initial timing to 18 degrees and total timing at 34 degrees.
Connected the vacuum advance to manifold vaccum and checked timing again at idle.
Had 32 degrees so I backed off the vacuum advance adjustment untill I had 30 degrees at idle.
18 initial and 12 from vacuum advance.
I then installed my modified distributor cap with the access hole to watch the position of the rotor and it looked pretty good.
The edge of the rotor is just getting to the cap terminal with initial and vacuum advance.
I took it out for a spin and was very pleased that the annoying vibration I had at 2500 rpm from the missfiring issue cause of the poor rotor phasing was gone.
I held it at 2500 rpm in 2nd gear going down the road and it felt great.
So I have to give a thanks to Rick from firecore for honoring his warranty on his products and for sending me a solid unit to install right away.
I will defenitley be reccomending firecore to anyone who asks my opinion on Mopar distributors, very solid units and the company clearly stands behind their products and takes care of their customers when ever there is an issue.

Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: pjc360] #2377497
09/27/17 12:45 AM
09/27/17 12:45 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
that's the best news I've heard all week. Just curious, would you cap the can & see how far the rotor phasing swings?

Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: RapidRobert] #2377729
09/27/17 02:42 PM
09/27/17 02:42 PM
montana
P
pjc360 Offline OP
mopar
pjc360  Offline OP
mopar
P

montana
that's the best news I've heard all week. Just curious, would you cap the can & see how far the rotor phasing swings?

Yes I will mark where the rotor is without vacuum advance and where it is with vacuum advance and post a pic.
Below is a pic with vacuum advance hooked up at idle with 18 degrees initial and 12 from the vacuum advance for a total of 30 at idle.
You have to turn the picture upside down and the hole in the cap is directly
Behind the number 1 cap terminal.
To me it looks pretty good, could possibly be a tad better but as long as it's not causing a miss fire I'm not going to mess with it.
But you can see the edge of the rotor is just beginning to come into contact with the cap terminal.

IMG_2688.PNG
Last edited by pjc360; 09/27/17 02:43 PM.
Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: RapidRobert] #2377994
09/27/17 10:38 PM
09/27/17 10:38 PM
montana
P
pjc360 Offline OP
mopar
pjc360  Offline OP
mopar
P

montana

Here is a pic of how much the rotor swings with the vacuum advance being hooked up.
The line to the left is where the rotor is with no vacuum advance at 18 degrees of initial timing, the line to the right is where the rotor is with the vacuum advance hooked up at idle providing an additional 12 degrees of timing at idle.

IMG_2738.JPG
Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: pjc360] #2378017
09/27/17 11:29 PM
09/27/17 11:29 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
that is definitely in the good range & that dist is a primo piece especially with no reluctor gap change from the vac adv.

Re: Vibration at 2500 rpm [Re: RapidRobert] #2378208
09/28/17 12:18 PM
09/28/17 12:18 PM
montana
P
pjc360 Offline OP
mopar
pjc360  Offline OP
mopar
P

montana
that is definitely in the good range & that dist is a primo piece especially with no reluctor gap change from the vac adv.

I figured it had to be within range since the miss fire and the vibration from the miss fire was gone.
I've been impressed with the advance plate on these units, no wobble at all with the vacuum advance applied.
I'd defenitley reccomend one to anyone having advance plate wobble issues with a stock unit.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8