Massachusetts
N
NortheastMopar Offline OP
pro stock
NortheastMopar  Offline OP
pro stock
N

Massachusetts
If I was to cut off rusted and butt weld the rear quarter lower patch panels for the front of the wheel as well as the back of the wheel, would I need to remove any of my interior? Thinking about possible fires? What about the gas tank being right there? What precautions should I look to take to do this job. Car has a complete interior in place. Thanks

Re: welding rear quarter front and rear patch panels [Re: NortheastMopar] #2358812
08/23/17 10:44 PM
08/23/17 10:44 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Please double check... but I believe there is a decent dead air space between the quarter and interior. Or remove or "peel back" the interior near the weld area.

Also butt weld in sheetmetal is best as "stitch weld". Weld a short section, move several inches, weld another short section, move again several inches. Repeat until you achieve a full weld. Sections welded are short (? 1/4" or less). This does not concentrate a lot of heat.

I have welded a rear quarter patch panel with no issues.

I would suggest you make sure there are no fuel leaks, take your time and extinguisher handy just in case. As always when welding.

Re: welding rear quarter front and rear patch panels [Re: NortheastMopar] #2358884
08/24/17 12:46 AM
08/24/17 12:46 AM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.
I agree totally about butt-welding - stitching like already recommended. Use thinner wire (like .028"?) & practice on other same gauge sheetmetal before starting on the actual car. It's easy to blow holes through the thin metal if your heat is too aggressive. *Also expect to have to patch inner structure areas like the outer wheelhousing & trunk extensions. Where it's rusted through on the outer sheetmetal, it's eaten away on the stuff underneath. Have other new pieces already bought & ready to use.

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: welding rear quarter front and rear patch panels [Re: NortheastMopar] #2358924
08/24/17 01:28 AM
08/24/17 01:28 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Call me chicken if you want, but I'd at least pull the back seat, the quarter panel cover, and roll the carpet back. Sometimes there is a lot of old seam sealer around the wheel wells, if that stuff catches fire, you need to put the fire out quickly. If there are seats or interior panels still in place, it will slow down the fire extinguishing action.

When I weld on a car, I have one of those $2 plant sprat bottles I fill with water I have beside me, and a big fire extinguisher sitting close by. That water spray bottle has saved my butt many times and is much easier to deal with then a used extinguisher.

While your welding, if something looks, smells, or sounds "funny" stop welding, pull off the helmet and look for a possible problem. If a fire starts inside that car, you have about 30 seconds to put it out before it gets out of control. Stuff inside cars tend to self feed a fire, they grow pretty quickly. Water first, if its still burning, the fire extinguisher, if its still burning get the car out of the shop, and/or get away, while you call the fire department! When the fire is burning inside a car for 20 seconds, it can do $1,000 (or more) damage to a car. Been there, done that! Gene

Re: welding rear quarter front and rear patch panels [Re: poorboy] #2359382
08/24/17 10:57 PM
08/24/17 10:57 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Pull the rear seat and the interior panels. If you are slow it shouldn't take you more than 45 minutes. You eliminate those sources of combustibles and as an added advantage you can see behind what you are working on. Once the car is a burnt hulk it's too late.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".