05/16/17 06:12 PM
05/16/17 06:12 PM
Southern Maryland
preddy Offline OP
super stock
preddy  Offline OP
super stock

Southern Maryland
A couple of weeks ago I posted a question where I was trying to figure out what kind of drum brakes were installed on my 68 Barracuda. The car has a Dana 60 that's been cut down and someone in the past installed Mopar 10" drum brakes with 2.5" wide shoes and the consensus was that these brakes most likely came off a B,C, or E body. The brakes did not come with parking brake components in the drums. I was able to find the correct parts to rebuild the brakes and get the parking brake levers for those drums. So that's all good and thanks to everyone here who pointed me in the right direction.

Now I have a new problem to solve. I need to come up with the parking brake cables that go from drum to drum. I have the long cable the comes from the parking brake actuator in the dash and that runs down the length of the underside of car and terminates in a threaded rod about 5-6 inches long near the differential. Since this is a non-standard application I can't just order OEM cables - or can I? I'm looking for ideas/solutions that would work with my existing long cable and the larger size 10" drums. Would used B or E body cables work? Is it possible to make cables? Do I need 2 cables or can I use one that terminates at each drum?
Thanks in advance.

Re: Parking brake cable question. [Re: preddy] #2305643
05/16/17 07:39 PM
05/16/17 07:39 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Online content
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Online Content
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Originally Posted By preddy
I have the long cable the comes from the parking brake actuator in the dash and that runs down the length of the underside of car and terminates in a threaded rod about 5-6 inches long near the differential.

Is that cable attached to the frame on the drivers side? If so, you could probably use C-body rear cables where the passenger side rear cable is long and crosses over the rear axle and terminates on a bracket on the passenger side frame; the driver side rear cable is shorter and terminates on the same bracket. An equalizer bar connects the two rear cable ends and attaches to the threaded end on the front cable.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Parking brake cable question. [Re: John_Kunkel] #2305657
05/16/17 08:04 PM
05/16/17 08:04 PM
Southern Maryland
preddy Offline OP
super stock
preddy  Offline OP
super stock

Southern Maryland
Originally Posted By John_Kunkel
Is that cable attached to the frame on the drivers side? If so, you could probably use C-body rear cables where the passenger side rear cable is long and crosses over the rear axle and terminates on a bracket on the passenger side frame; the driver side rear cable is shorter and terminates on the same bracket. An equalizer bar connects the two rear cable ends and attaches to the threaded end on the front cable.

That's a great question. I don't know where it attaches because it was just tucked up and wrapped around the frame connectors when I got the car as a roller. I have no reference point as to where it is supposed to go or what bracket it uses on an A-body. I think it does go down the driver's side and the there's probably a connector/equalizer that's supposed to be there. I think you're right about the longer passenger side cable. I've looked for diagrams for 68 A-bodies that show the cable paths but so far have not found any.

I'm thinking about trying to buy a used set of B or C body cables and see if I can fabricate something.

Re: Parking brake cable question. [Re: preddy] #2305729
05/16/17 10:06 PM
05/16/17 10:06 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Any a bodies have 10" drums? Maybe 73_76?

Angry white pureblood male
Re: Parking brake cable question. [Re: preddy] #2305749
05/16/17 10:40 PM
05/16/17 10:40 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Don't be a hack.

Download the Factory service manual.

Page 5-20 shows the routing (listed as Valiant)

All available from Rock Auto, less than $100 for all three, new Raybestos brand.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Parking brake cable question. [Re: Supercuda] #2305830
05/17/17 01:08 AM
05/17/17 01:08 AM
Southern Maryland
preddy Offline OP
super stock
preddy  Offline OP
super stock

Southern Maryland
Originally Posted By Supercuda
Don't be a hack.

Download the Factory service manual.

Page 5-20 shows the routing (listed as Valiant)

All available from Rock Auto, less than $100 for all three, new Raybestos brand.

I appreciate the help. Doing my best not to be a hack wink The service manual is great to have - thanks. It shows the routing of the cables on another A-body and that solves the first problem.

I did look at Rock Auto (and other places) for cables before before posting here. I even spoke with the folks at Bruin Brake Cables (they manufacture restoration brake cables). They told me that for my application with mix and match components it would require custom made parking brake cables to the tune of around $200 and a 5-6 week lead time. Um... nope. I was thinking this can't be that hard.

When I searched for drum brake parts under Barracuda, Dart, or Valiant at Rock Auto, my drums were not listed. My 10"x2.5" drums are bigger and were not OEM on A-bodies. If those A-body cables at Rock Auto will work (i.e., the terminal end is the same) with the non-A body drums, then I'm in business.

That said, I just ordered the 2, A-body parking cables from Rock Auto. I think there's a pretty good chance they will work. I'll report back. Thanks again.

Re: Parking brake cable question. [Re: preddy] #2305925
05/17/17 09:32 AM
05/17/17 09:32 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
From the parking cable's point of view a drum brake is a drum brake, it don't care.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.