Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2208684
12/06/16 01:31 PM
12/06/16 01:31 PM
north of coder
moparx Online content
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Online Content
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted By Wizard
Yes, $28,000. Not pennies on the dollar. But looks worth it must say.

if i wanted one of these, i would go this route instead of the shell first posted without a vin tag. only MY opinion, and as i have zero knowledge on what one of these are worth, this may be a real bargain, or not. and as one who has to pinch pennies, i realize the importance of doing most, if not all the work yourself. also, i have got over 50 years of playing with these four tire creatures, and in that time, i have seen and observed many things. if you have all the parts, have the time necessary, and the shell isn't twisted up more than what is visible, go for it. it's your parts, time and money. but ultimately, it comes back to the vin tag. from 1968-1972 i worked for a body shop [in pa.] that specialized in rebuilding totals. there was a constant presence of DMV cops to oversee the halves of different vehicles joined together to make one, and also to insure this was done legally. at that time, these were just "cars", but above all, EVERY ONE of those vehicles had titles and matching vin tags. [this was before it was mandatory to start with a salvage title] we didn't have to resort to trying to source probably the most important piece of the car. whatever you decide to do, enjoy your endeavor.
beer

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2210593
12/09/16 11:51 AM
12/09/16 11:51 AM
missouri, USA
moparmojo Offline
master
moparmojo  Offline
master

missouri, USA
Here she is fellows. What do I want to do with the car? I want to save her. Its a 4 speed car. Butterscotch looks like. Why not save it. Looks are deceiving. Not in bad shape to the untrained eye, plus I looked it very well and I already restored my 71 automatic 383 Road runner. Yeah, you can get a title for $1100.00 or more thru those 2 companies out there. That's if everything is in order with car and just missing title. Been there done that 1 time 15 yrs ago when you could get them for $350.00 or so. Here of another company here that will do it for $250.00 if everything is in order. Don't know haven't talked to em yet. Just heard this from guy who did it with them. That's all I know for now.

I like everyone's reply's to this thread. Hopefully I can get one by using some of your reply's here of how to do it. Why not try to do the impossible if it can be done and save her to put out to fly again on the road..

Wizard

I don't know what the big issue is going the DMV route. If your only concern is to take a non legal parts car and turn it into a legal restored car, then just go to the DMV and follow the proper process of getting a legal state issued VIN. For some reason we in the Mopar community look down on that and we shouldn't. I would rather know up front it has a state issued vin then buy a car and later find out it was vin swapped ect and a host of other legal questions could follow the car. There is a fine line when bringing a car back. However this one already looks like it has been salvaged. So the actual vin to that car could have already been noted as Salvaged in the system, vin and dash sold off to someone else who could have incorrectly used and titled it on their fake ect ect. So even if you had the correct dash and vin you still might have problems following you. Just buy the junk yard car and get a proper stated issued vin and no worries. As a community we need to stop looking down on people doing it the right way until it becomes commonly accepted practice.

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2210724
12/09/16 03:37 PM
12/09/16 03:37 PM
Chilly Northern, Minn.
71 Charger R/T Offline
mopar
71 Charger R/T  Offline
mopar

Chilly Northern, Minn.
Surprising that the door is even still with the car, having been removed for whatever reason. I see seats that appear that they could be original. I would look for remnants of a build sheet. I notice that the frame is cut away where the torque tube frame bracket was. It doesn't appear evident of what caused this car's demise. It's not wadded up anywhere. It looks to have been just slowly picked apart of its valuable pieces. Was the dash removed for it's rallye cluster…… it's reverse light and proper hole…… or it's VIN? It would be interesting to know! I'm guessing if someone had parted the car for it's VIN. It would have had the radiator support and the cowl top piece removed as well as the door taken or it's VIN sticker destroyed.
Just my twocents

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2210728
12/09/16 03:55 PM
12/09/16 03:55 PM
northwest USA
N
NANKET Offline
master
NANKET  Offline
master
N

northwest USA
As many folks know, lots of cars got parted in the 80's for not to drastic problems.

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: NANKET] #2210745
12/09/16 04:24 PM
12/09/16 04:24 PM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Originally Posted By NANKET
As many folks know, lots of cars got parted in the 80's for not to drastic problems.

Yes! They were green or the had AC. Either of those were the kiss of death

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2210813
12/09/16 06:27 PM
12/09/16 06:27 PM
northwest USA
N
NANKET Offline
master
NANKET  Offline
master
N

northwest USA
I agree, But If that were true why are there so many green A/C cars still around? LOL

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: moparmojo] #2211409
12/10/16 07:41 PM
12/10/16 07:41 PM
Dillsburg, PA
W
Wizard Offline OP
mopar
Wizard  Offline OP
mopar
W

Dillsburg, PA
The door has the correct VIN for a roadrunner as I have confirmed it is legit road runner 383 4bbl built in Windsor Canada plant. Its a medium build also. I looked around again for the build sheet and vin but did not find dash nor vin. Looked under bottom seat for build sheet but not back seat. will have to do that.

Wizard

Guns, God, and Country. U.S. Veteran
Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2211419
12/10/16 07:54 PM
12/10/16 07:54 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
The door has the correct VIN for a roadrunner as I have confirmed it is legit road runner 383 4bbl built in Windsor Canada plant. Its a medium build also. I looked around again for the build sheet and vin but did not find dash nor vin. Looked under bottom seat for build sheet but not back seat. will have to do that.

Wizard

Chances are the dash was removed for it's pad, or instrument cluster, or both, or someone needed a VIN for their "project", personally I wouldn't even pursue the "missing" VIN, as it may open up a can of worms for you, or someone else, as mentioned previously, just locate a "clean" VIN/title attach and be done with it, it's just a machine that needs a new identity...

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2211436
12/10/16 08:19 PM
12/10/16 08:19 PM
Morningside, Long Island
scatcity Offline
super stock
scatcity  Offline
super stock

Morningside, Long Island

Wizard

I had a 71 Windsor RR a while back that I parted out. As crazy as it may sound, I found a pristine BS in an unusual location by accident. It was a front bench seat car and I was removing the headrests as they were mint. The bench was beyond rotted. Anyway, I had to dismantle the rear flip down part of the bench seat to remove the headrests. Well, sandwiched in between the foam in the inner guts of the seat back, there lay the BS like the day it was left there.

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: DAYCLONA] #2211446
12/10/16 08:30 PM
12/10/16 08:30 PM
Hamtramck, PA
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer

Hamtramck, PA
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

Wizard

Chances are the dash was removed for it's pad, or instrument cluster, or both, or someone needed a VIN for their "project", personally I wouldn't even pursue the "missing" VIN, as it may open up a can of worms for you, or someone else, as mentioned previously, just locate a "clean" VIN/title attach and be done with it, it's just a machine that needs a new identity...

The bigger can of worms is if / when he gets busted for VIN swapping.

Thousands spent on getting it back on the road & then it could be confiscated at any moment?

That would be idiotic. twocents

Stay legal by applying for a state assigned VIN.

If the dash VIN was used on
Quote:
just a machine that needs a new identity
then I hope that guy loses HIS car instead. If the tag was stolen, it could possibly be returned to this car if found on another car.

That would come out as part of the state issued VIN process.

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: DAYCLONA] #2211462
12/10/16 08:48 PM
12/10/16 08:48 PM
northwest USA
N
NANKET Offline
master
NANKET  Offline
master
N

northwest USA
[/quote]Chances are the dash was removed for it's pad, or instrument cluster, or both, or someone needed a VIN for their "project", personally I wouldn't even pursue the "missing" VIN, as it may open up a can of worms for you, or someone else, as mentioned previously, just locate a "clean" VIN/title attach and be done with it, it's just a machine that needs a new identity... [/quote]

Only one problem: LEGAL

When this car is sold and the prospective buyer looks at the body stampings and they do not match it the new vin you installed.

Then what?

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2211472
12/10/16 09:02 PM
12/10/16 09:02 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
I don't know how some of you guys sleep at night worrying about this stuff. I suppose if you guys had your way we'd never be allowed to change the color of a car because it wouldn't match the fender tag !!

Like Dayclona says ... "it's just a machine that needs a new identity".

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2211479
12/10/16 09:09 PM
12/10/16 09:09 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Quote:
When this car is sold and the prospective buyer looks at the body stampings and they do not match it the new vin you installed.

Then what?

My friend has an original '68 hemi RR that sat outdoors since it was 2 years old. The thing is ROTTEN and needs virtually every piece of metal changed. The body stampings are going to vanish. So tell me, then what?

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: NANKET] #2211497
12/10/16 09:26 PM
12/10/16 09:26 PM
Hamtramck, PA
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer

Hamtramck, PA
This is the way this type of threads usually go.

The 'do it legal types' offer advice that will keep the person out of legal trouble.

vs.

The 'just commit a felony or two types' who feel it is OK because they do it, & the more people that follow their lead then the more 'acceptable' it will become.

I still wish there was a clause in the Moparts Rule Book saying that those encouraging breaking the law could be expelled for once & for all.

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Stanton] #2211506
12/10/16 09:45 PM
12/10/16 09:45 PM
Las Vegas, NV
6bblgt Offline
I Live Here
6bblgt  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas, NV
Originally Posted By Stanton
My friend has an original '68 hemi RR that sat outdoors since it was 2 years old. The thing is ROTTEN and needs virtually every piece of metal changed. The body stampings are going to vanish. So tell me, then what?

your friend does NOT have a '68 HEMI Road Runner - the car he claims to own is DEAD & GONE - simple, end of story twocents

if all is A-OK, care to share the VIN?

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2211581
12/11/16 12:00 AM
12/11/16 12:00 AM
northwest USA
N
NANKET Offline
master
NANKET  Offline
master
N

northwest USA
Stanton, I thought about what you type on moparts and where you live, and it's all coming clear.

The opportunity to paint the dash frames out of the car is always there when the dash swap happens during the re-numbering process on the rust buckets up In the great white rust belt.

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: NANKET] #2211636
12/11/16 01:50 AM
12/11/16 01:50 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Chances are the dash was removed for it's pad, or instrument cluster, or both, or someone needed a VIN for their "project", personally I wouldn't even pursue the "missing" VIN, as it may open up a can of worms for you, or someone else, as mentioned previously, just locate a "clean" VIN/title attach and be done with it, it's just a machine that needs a new identity... [/quote]

Then what? [/quote]

Be the same case if you used "donor" parts from several parts cars like the cowl, radiator support, trunk rails/gutters that might have partial VIN numbers on them from other vehicles, or what if repro, or NOS components were used that had no numbers? either case most would either remove or add the "appropriate" numbers needed to match the VIN used, whether the VIN was original or added to the chassis

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: DAYCLONA] #2211652
12/11/16 02:10 AM
12/11/16 02:10 AM
Hamtramck, PA
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer

Hamtramck, PA
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

Then what? [/quote]

Be the same case if you used "donor" parts from several parts cars like the cowl, radiator support, trunk rails/gutters that might have partial VIN numbers on them from other vehicles, or what if repro, or NOS components were used that had no numbers? either case most would either remove or add the "appropriate" numbers needed to match the VIN used, whether the VIN was original or added to the chassis [/quote]

Do not use 'If you' for people who choose to not follow the illegal path that you constantly try to lead others down.

They know better that to get trapped on that path.

The law does not deal with 'ifs', only facts. The fact is that VIN swaps & VIN tampering is a felony.

Choose that path for yourself as you have evidently chosen to, but do not encourage others to do so.

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: 6bblgt] #2211669
12/11/16 02:29 AM
12/11/16 02:29 AM
Iowa
D
Davtona Offline
Davtona  Offline
D

Iowa
Originally Posted By 6bblgt
Originally Posted By Stanton

your friend does NOT have a '68 HEMI Road Runner - the car he claims to own is DEAD & GONE - simple, end of story twocents

if all is A-OK, care to share the VIN?

Yes agreed the Road Runner is DEAD. When the stampings disappear the car is GONE. They weren't all meant to survive. You said the magic word "original". After you commit a felony and re body it its not the "original Hemi car anymore.

Yes What Is the VIN?? Post It.

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Alaskan_TA] #2211673
12/11/16 02:37 AM
12/11/16 02:37 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By Alaskan_TA

The law does not deal with 'ifs', only facts. The fact is that VIN swaps & VIN tampering is a felony.

"Rolling back" an Odometer is a felony also, how many restorers, or instrument re-builders do this?...plenty, accepted practice, just like reboding, reVINing, restamping, etc, etc

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10