11/28/16 05:29 PM
11/28/16 05:29 PM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline OP
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline OP
super stock

Chicago
Are all/most aftermarket 440 crankshafts drilled to accept the bushing for the input shaft of an A-833 4-speed? What about 440 source crankshafts?

When I built my current 440 (about 1985), the crank came out of a big-rod automatic car ('73 motor). I found out the hard way that the back of the crankshaft was not drilled to accept the A-833's pilot bushing while trying to install the transmission. I pulled the motor out, pulled the crank & had a machine shop drill it....but the hole wasn't deep enough & the transmission STILL wouldn't bolt up. I decided to grind about 1/2" off the input shaft of the transmission & it worked. Also, when I put in my last clutch I installed a pilot bearing that fit in the back of the crank flange.

Now I'm thinking about building a new engine & I want to make SURE I don't have any trouble like I did in the 80's. None of 440 crankshafts I see online make any mention of being drilled to accept a 4-speed pilot bushing.

How do I make sure I get a crankshaft that will bolt up to my A-833?

70 Roadrunner convt. street car 440+6, NOS, 4-spd, SS springs '96 Mustang GT convt. street car '04 4.6 SOHC, NOS, auto, lowered "Officer, that button is for short on-ramps"
Re: 440 Crankshafts & A-833 Transmissions [Re: PurpleBeeper] #2203978
11/28/16 07:20 PM
11/28/16 07:20 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Hmmmm, in their crank info they make this statement ... "They ARE drilled for a 4 speed pilot bushing"

Re: 440 Crankshafts & A-833 Transmissions [Re: PurpleBeeper] #2203981
11/28/16 07:26 PM
11/28/16 07:26 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
And of course they have an email address and phone number !!!

Re: 440 Crankshafts & A-833 Transmissions [Re: Stanton] #2204108
11/28/16 11:18 PM
11/28/16 11:18 PM
Wisconsin
Stewpar Offline
master
Stewpar  Offline
master

Wisconsin
I would have a hard time believing that ANY aftermarket crank wouldn't be drilled out for a pilot bushing??? twocents

Admiration For Multiple Carburetor Vehicles...
Re: 440 Crankshafts & A-833 Transmissions [Re: PurpleBeeper] #2204471
11/29/16 03:11 PM
11/29/16 03:11 PM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline OP
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline OP
super stock

Chicago
OK, maybe I missed something, but I still don't see where it lists that the cranks are drilled for the pilot bushing???

440-Source:
BRAND NEW FORGED 4340 steel PLATINUM SERIES crankshaft. Non twist forging. Induction hardened, CNC Machined. Plasma gas nitrated. Standard size rod and main journals. Rated to 1000+ horsepower. Includes lots of other features you won't get with the other guys such as profiled (rounded) counterweights, .125" full radiused journals and more. For some really in-depth pictures and manufacturing specs, check out our crankshafts page.

K-1 (Ray Barton):
Made from forged 4340 steel
Core hardened and tempered to reduce stress and optimize tensile strength
Made with a nitriding process for hardening rather than induction heat treated
Mag-particle inspected
Feature straight oil holes for the best oiling to the rod journals
Held to a maximum tolerance of .0002” journal dimension
Counterweights are placed for optimal load reduction and ease of balancing

SCAT:
Designed to replace factory crankshafts or for spec. Class racing use. Competitively priced for a stock to mildly built engine.
Designed & engineered at scat
Precision ground & micro polished
No more hassles with poor quality cores
Simplify your bearing stocks to std/std
Wissota approved

Eagle:
http://www.eaglerod.com/index.php?option=com_flippingbook&Itemid=38&book_id=7

70 Roadrunner convt. street car 440+6, NOS, 4-spd, SS springs '96 Mustang GT convt. street car '04 4.6 SOHC, NOS, auto, lowered "Officer, that button is for short on-ramps"
Re: 440 Crankshafts & A-833 Transmissions [Re: Stanton] #2204511
11/29/16 04:14 PM
11/29/16 04:14 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Originally Posted By Stanton
And of course they have an email address and phone number !!!

Just pick up the phone and call the company then you don't have to wonder or guess any more ?

Re: 440 Crankshafts & A-833 Transmissions [Re: PurpleBeeper] #2204534
11/29/16 04:39 PM
11/29/16 04:39 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Maybe if you took the time to read the whole description ....

Quote:
Shown here is an example of our new Platinum Series crankshafts. We encourage you to shop around and do your research, because we know that no one else offers such a high quality product at an incredibly affordable price. Compare these manufacturing processes, specs and tolerances with the competition:
First we start with super strong aircraft quality 4340 steel, certified to meet or exceed SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) standards. We constantly pull samples and run tests on the chemical composition of our 4340 raw steel to make sure it meets every index included in the specifications.

The approved raw steel is then forged in a massive 6 story tall 8000 ton (that's 16 Million pounds!) hot die forging press. The raw forgings are then run through multiple heat treating processes in which normalizing, tempering and quenching heat treatments are employed. This multi-stage heat treating significantly improves the mechanical properties (strength, resiliency, etc) of the forgings while also ensuring these properties are uniform throughout the entire piece. After heat treating, the forgings go through a rigorous process of being X rayed from 4 sides (A minimum of six separate times!), sonic tested, and then finally magnafluxed to thoroughly check for any small cracks or other defects. Finally, the forgings that pass the test are induction hardened. This ensures that the hardness throughout the entire crank is between 36-40 on the Rockwell Hardness C scale, producing an unbelievably strong piece with a tensile strength of 156,600 PSI, and a yield strength of 134,850 PSI!!

The cranks are then rough machined. This includes shaping the counterweights, etc. Then they are heat treated AGAIN to release any inner stresses and prevent any last "settleing" of the steel before final machining.

Cranks are then shot peened. This is a process in which the surface of the cranks are bombarded with smooth round steel shot. Each shot ball leaves a smooth spherical impression, compacting the surface of the crank and causing a compressive surface stress which closes up the grain structure of the crank on a microscopic level. Since cranks can fail from tensile loads opening up tiny surface flaws, this microscopically "compressed" surface of the steel greatly reduces the possibility of any stress cracks developing by not giving them a place to "start." Exhaustive testing has shown that not only does this help to increase the maximum load the crank is able to take by over 20%, but it it also helps to increase the fatigue life of the crank by up to 50%!

Next, all precision surfaces of the cranks are fully CNC machined for the ultimate in dimensional accuracy, producing journal diameters and indexing that is nearly dead-on perfect every time. After final machining is performed, the cranks are nitrated using a plasma gas nitrating process. This nitrating process penetrates approximately .014" deep into the steel, and raises the surface hardness of the cranks to a MINIMUM Rockwell hardness of 52-60 on the C scale! For those not familiar with the rockwell hardness scale, our cranks are some of the hardest, strongest cranks around at any price! We often get calls from shops who went through multiple drill bits during drilling into the crank when balancing, and the question is always the same: "What did you do to this crank!!"

These are rated to easily handle 1000+ horsepower. Nitrous? Blower? No problem. The only thing stronger than these 4340 cranks is a solid billet crank, which is rated to 2500+ horsepower and will run you about $3000+. As you can see in our pictures, the quality and workmanship on these is amazing. All our Platinum Series cranks have fully profiled counterweights to help reduce windage and cut through the oil film in the engine. They all feature .125" fully radiused journal fillets and fully chamfered oil holes as standard features. They ARE drilled for a 4 speed pilot bushing, but you will need to install the bushing yourself. We sell the bushings as well.

All versions come pre-balanced at a specific bobweight (listed with the model,) setup for internal balance. The bobweight we use is usually somewhat heavier than the final bobweight of the finished rotating assembly. The reason for this is to ensure you won't need to add any metal to the crank during balancing. For normal applications, all you will need to do is lighten the counterweights down to the desired amount when the final balance job is done. Adding heavy (mallory) metal to a crank is a very expensive and time consuming process. Removing metal is simply a matter of drilling holes in the counterweights, which is a normal part of any balance job. This makes balancing inexpensive, easy, and able to be done by any local shop.

Don't be fooled by the low price. These are not "blems," ground undersize on the journals, or have any other kind of defect. As we explain above, there are no problems with balancing. There is no hidden "catch." They are the real deal, premium cranks straight from the manufacturer. Thousands of these cranks have been sold so far and are being raced with great results.

You simply WILL NOT FIND a better quality crankshaft in this price range!!!

The 2.009" (Chevy) width rod journals allow you to use any off the shelf big block Chevy rods with perfect side clearance. The smaller 7.120" counterweight diameter on "B" crankshafts allows the counterweights to clear the block in all "B" engines without any modifications.

Re: 440 Crankshafts & A-833 Transmissions [Re: PurpleBeeper] #2205244
11/30/16 02:44 PM
11/30/16 02:44 PM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline OP
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline OP
super stock

Chicago
Good point Oz, that's the 440-source crank, at least the platinum series