P
Powerflow Offline
pro stock
Powerflow  Offline
pro stock
P

New Jersey
Originally Posted By denfireguy
Back in the day, I had a lock smith make a replacement ignition/door key. He took a blank key, shined it up the top edge that came in contact with the tumblers with steel wool. Put the key in a vice grip and put it in the passenger side door lock. He rocked it back a forth until the tumblers marked the key with their location. He used a triangular file to indent each position. Polished the blank again and repeated the operation. When the tumblers quit scratching the blank, that notch was right. In ten minutes, he had a key that worked. I followed him to his shop and he used the key he made to determine the nearest code for the key, made the code key up and I was set. This was on my 1974 Satellite.
He used the passenger lock because it is the least used. He made a code key as the crude one he made would have unduly wore out the tumblers since it had real rough edges.
I have had success doing this myself to remove the ignition cylinder. Once that was out, replaced the cylinder and door locks.
Craig

In lock talk, that process is called impressioning. I suspect it's a dying art among locksmiths.

Re: No keys..what to do. [Re: Hot 340] #2158509
09/21/16 12:52 AM
09/21/16 12:52 AM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline
master
That AMC Guy  Offline
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
You ever seen the original Gone in 60 Seconds where Toby Halicki steals Jill the Challenger??

Screw in Slide hammer into ignition lock.
A couple good pulls and the ignition barrel will pop right out.
Insert Screwdriver into hole and use like a key.

Bob's your uncle.

Also, now that you've got the ignition barrel out, you can either take it somewhere and have keys made, or order a new set of door/trunk/ignition locks and re-key the car like you're going to have to anyway.

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....

Page 2 of 2 1 2