09/13/16 01:37 AM
09/13/16 01:37 AM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline
master
Mastershake340  Offline
master

Crook County, ILL
No, it's something to do with the manufacturing process, or tempering, they do with glass now. You see it in certain lights in a lot of new cars too. Can't be polished out.
There was a thread on the subject here a couple months ago.

Re: Glass Restoration [Re: autoxcuda] #2153549
09/13/16 09:57 AM
09/13/16 09:57 AM
London, England
Gavin Offline
top fuel
Gavin  Offline
top fuel

London, England
Originally Posted By autoxcuda
Heard about someone out here in so cal that called their process "grinding" glass. Was supposedly a specialized process they do to glass high rise buildings. Was interested in car hobby, but was too busy with industrial accounts to bother.

Sounded like they had machines or processes to cut the labor time down. Still IIRC, it was close to new glass costs.

Shop that had it done was very impressed that normally uses lots of resto glass.

That's pretty much what I found out - if you look online there are outfits that restore storefront glass in situ (replacing a huge pane of that due to a scratch is a major expense). In theory this could be a good option, but I didn't take it further because a) I assumed that they wouldn't really be interested in auto glass and b) I imagine that if they broke it that would be on me, and I'd rather not take that risk without a better idea of their track record for this type of glass

Re: Glass Restoration [Re: flypaper] #2153745
09/13/16 03:30 PM
09/13/16 03:30 PM
Eugene, Oregon
M
minivan Offline
master
minivan  Offline
master
M

Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted By flypaper
Originally Posted By 71rm23

On a side note, does anyone know what to use to remove the butyl tape/sealer off of my front and rear glass ('71)

I used razor blades lacquer thinner
And scrubby pads..

Used kerosene back in the day.. A lot safer on the paint ( if in car) and your hands..

Re: Glass Restoration [Re: minivan] #2154964
09/15/16 09:51 AM
09/15/16 09:51 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Thanks for posting. I think the real value is salvaging glass that is only available as used pieces. As to skill level, I got the impression that this is a lot like working with body filler. If you can successfully work with that, you can successfully do this. Sound about right?

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Glass Restoration [Re: 6PakBee] #2154985
09/15/16 11:07 AM
09/15/16 11:07 AM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline OP
super stock
AAR#2  Offline OP
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
. . .As to skill level, I got the impression that this is a lot like working with body filler. If you can successfully work with that, you can successfully do this. Sound about right?

Close, I'd say its like buffing out a car in the sense your using a rotary buffer, you need the same pressure, overlapping strokes, and good control/awareness as you sand.

But it is like body filler in the sense you ultimately want smooth transitions between sanded surfaces.

Re: Glass Restoration [Re: AAR#2] #2155232
09/15/16 06:04 PM
09/15/16 06:04 PM
Eugene, Oregon
M
minivan Offline
master
minivan  Offline
master
M

Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted By AAR#2
Originally Posted By 6PakBee
. . .As to skill level, I got the impression that this is a lot like working with body filler. If you can successfully work with that, you can successfully do this. Sound about right?

Close, I'd say its like being buffing out a car in the sense your using a rotary buffer, you need the same pressure, overlapping strokes, and good control/awareness as you sand.

But it is like body filler in the sense you ultimately want smooth transitions between sanded surfaces.

Except you don't have much of a chance of the "body filler" exploding like tempered glass will....

I am one of the glass guys who says this cannot be done..

Big reason is 3K or 40 hours for most people...

Glad to hear of a way to do it if someone wants to invest that kind of money or time in something that there is no guarantee it wont explode or be too far damaged to bring back....

Re: Glass Restoration [Re: minivan] #2155262
09/15/16 07:08 PM
09/15/16 07:08 PM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline OP
super stock
AAR#2  Offline OP
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
Originally Posted By minivan

Close, I'd say its like being buffing out a car in the sense your using a rotary buffer, you need the same pressure, overlapping strokes, and good control/awareness as you sand.

Except you don't have much of a chance of the "body filler" exploding like tempered glass will....

Glad to hear of a way to do it if someone wants to invest that kind of money or time in something that there is no guarantee it wont explode or be too far damaged to bring back....

I understand your skepticism, as I too thought this a near impossible task. My back window was pretty bad, lots of damage and a few pretty deep. Keeping heat out is a concern but was actually pretty easy by working a large section of glass, of course if you work a smaller section, a small mist bottle of water helps to keep things cool. Of course you can't lean heavy like your grinding on a steel table and expect to not have issues. Think finess rather than bull in a china shop

Did you watch the videos??

Re: Glass Restoration [Re: AAR#2] #2155657
09/16/16 12:31 PM
09/16/16 12:31 PM
Eugene, Oregon
M
minivan Offline
master
minivan  Offline
master
M

Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted By minivan

I understand your skepticism, as I too thought this a near impossible task. My back window was pretty bad, lots of damage and a few pretty deep. Keeping heat out is a concern but was actually pretty easy by working a large section of glass, of course if you work a smaller section, a small mist bottle of water helps to keep things cool. Of course you can't lean heavy like your grinding on a steel table and expect to not have issues. Think finess rather than bull in a china shop

Did you watch the videos??

I did not mean to sound skeptical.. I think this is a great thread for someone who HAS TO have his orginal glass and there is the possibility of getting it clean..

My comments are just saying this is not an exact science with no guarantees after expending HUGE amounts of time and labor.

Your results are with tempered glass ( all of the glass in your car except the windshield). I can assure you the survivability ( the glass making it through without breaking ) of doing this on a WS goes down about 1000%..

No I did not watch the video.. I was in the industry for over 35 years and have spent many hundreds of hours trying to buff out scratches and imperfections on glass..

Last edited by minivan; 09/16/16 12:36 PM.
Re: Glass Restoration [Re: AAR#2] #2156079
09/17/16 05:38 AM
09/17/16 05:38 AM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline OP
super stock
AAR#2  Offline OP
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
Minivan, thanks for the insight. While I haven't decided if I'll attempt to try and save the front glass or not, I do love a challenge and will post back if I decide to do it. Truthfully, I'm away from home for three weeks so it'll be a while before I'm back and can see if it's possible. Stone and star bursts may be the issue that could prevent that piece from being pursued. Considering your insight I'll pay special attention to keep heat out of the glass if I decide to get after it.

Re: Glass Restoration [Re: AAR#2] #2156254
09/17/16 02:19 PM
09/17/16 02:19 PM
Eugene, Oregon
M
minivan Offline
master
minivan  Offline
master
M

Eugene, Oregon
Minivan, thanks for the insight. While I haven't decided if I'll attempt to try and save the front glass or not, I do love a challenge and will post back if I decide to do it. Truthfully, I'm away from home for three weeks so it'll be a while before I'm back and can see if it's possible. Stone and star bursts may be the issue that could prevent that piece from being pursued. Considering your insight I'll pay special attention to keep heat out of the glass if I decide to get after it.

If you have the time and money why not try???

As you have said above the pits and any small chips will run pretty easily on a WS.... Good Luck....

Page 2 of 2 1 2