Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 85 1 2 3 84 85
paint job on a budget!? #21490
01/23/06 11:04 AM
01/23/06 11:04 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A



Can someone refer me to a shop or individual who would do a decent job(minor body work) and spray my '69 GTX on a 3-$4,000.00 budget that I have to hold to? Am I way out of line to think someone would do it for this amount? I live approx. 1 hr. north of Detroit. If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it in a BIG WAY!! Please p.m. me or call 810-392-3781 Sincerely, Randy Borawski

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21491
01/23/06 12:31 PM
01/23/06 12:31 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,752
detroit area
M
moderncylinder Offline
top fuel
moderncylinder  Offline
top fuel
M

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,752
detroit area
The guy that painted my camaro was very reasonable in labor price and local.
But to say 3-4000 with minor body work whats minor to you maybe magor more detail a few dents ? patches?? rotted wheel well lips??

And a huge variable what color white thats cheap red expensive metalic big bucks ??

i had close to 2,000 in paint and clear not to mention sealer primer

Bob


www.moderncylinderhead.com WANTED,, Something for Nothing, MUST be better than NEW condition,, YOU pay shipping...
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: moderncylinder] #21492
01/23/06 01:24 PM
01/23/06 01:24 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,791
IN
Dartman928 Offline
master
Dartman928  Offline
master

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,791
IN
The two don't go hand in hand brother. You get what you pay for in that business or you could try to learn how to do it and save some money but be prepared for a big learning curve.

Good Luck

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: moderncylinder] #21493
01/23/06 01:25 PM
01/23/06 01:25 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,011
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,011
Left Coast
I was trying to find someone to paint my car for around the amount you are talking. I had no body work-just needed to be primed and blocked out before topcoating. My car is in the paint shop now on a "we'll do it in between collision work" deal. Price? $9,600 for a bright red-no metallic job. Car has vinyl top so no roof paint either and I had it mostly disassembled when I brought it to the guy. VERY HARD to find a deal on paint anymore. -Bob

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21494
01/23/06 02:51 PM
01/23/06 02:51 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,640
Madrid, IA
H
hellrzr Offline
top fuel
hellrzr  Offline
top fuel
H

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,640
Madrid, IA
Maybe you can find a private guy who will let you help. I found a local guy to paint my engine bay. He let me come out to his shop and do all the sanding and prep work. He did a little rust repair and final masking. It was great because I saved some money and I learned some valuable things about body work. Now I can go out and watch/help him work when I want. He charged me $30 per hour which is pretty cheap for a good body guy.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21495
01/23/06 07:25 PM
01/23/06 07:25 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 143
Florida, USA
H
hotrodsr1 Offline
member
hotrodsr1  Offline
member
H

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 143
Florida, USA
I would love to do it i love to do work like that and i would not charge a arm and a leg i would want the advertisement with somthang like that. You can see my work on www.insanemustangs.com I did the work on the blue mustang under darkhorse or millerperforance is the compony that was only 3500.00 that was all the body work and paintThe car was painted blue with white fad and ghost scallops in purple pearl.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21496
01/23/06 08:17 PM
01/23/06 08:17 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,673
Columbus Ga
R
reflections7 Offline
master
reflections7  Offline
master
R

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,673
Columbus Ga
Go to several of your paint supply dealers in your area. Ask them this same question you posted here. There are many of us that did it on the side and Im sure they could set you up. Usually someone that does it on the side will let you prep the car to save some money. Like removing bumpers,chrome,lights,mirrors ect. You could also ask the painters at some shops if they would reccomend someone. I got a lot of my work from friends that only do collision work.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: reflections7] #21497
01/23/06 08:21 PM
01/23/06 08:21 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,802
Mentor,Ohio
M
Mustanghater Offline
Pillow Pants
Mustanghater  Offline
Pillow Pants
M

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,802
Mentor,Ohio
what ever happened to rattle can paint jobs? I think it gives cars a " I can take on anything" look.


AIM: spencespeed www.myspace.com/spencespeed
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Mustanghater] #21498
01/25/06 03:34 PM
01/25/06 03:34 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,220
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,220
toronto canada
here's how i painted my car for about $50, it's actually very easy and the results are amazing. First off, get a can of tremclad real orange (or what ever color u want) in the can, not spray, yes tremclad, it is a acrylic/enamel paint which is very durable. next prep your car as if was any other paint job, fix all the rust, ect....no need to prime the car since the tremclad allready contains elements which allow it to be painted over bare metal. next, after prepping the car get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam. u also need a jug of mineral spirits to thin the paint. The thing i really like about this is that there's no mess, no tapeing the whole car, just key areas, and u can do it in your garage, since your not spraying there is virtually no dust in the air, just clean your garage first, also it does'nt really smell at all, dries overnight and it super tough paint. also it you decide to paint the car professionally later, just prep and paint, there's no need to strip the tremclad. i have done this to a few cars, and i can say it works amazing, u just have to be paitient. next u thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker. get out the roller and paint away, don't get the paint shaked when u buy it, enamel is stirred, otherwise you'll have bubbles in the paint for a week!!! after u do 2 coats, wet sand the whole car, then repeat, 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats wetsand. i painted the charger using a can since your not spraying the car u use all the paint and not spray 50% in the air, use progressivly finer sand paper each time. it's not really that much work, cause u can stop and start any time, u can do just a door, or the hood, ect. do one panel at a time, and don't stop once you start. once your done the final coat, wetsand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher i use a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound. do the whole car with this, and i'm telling u, depending on the amount of time and paitence you have, the results are amazing. laugh if you want, but for $50 ($30 for paint, about $20 for rollers, sand paper, ect...) it really looks good. also you can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning u can wet sand. i have personally done alot of painting, mostly single stage acrylic enamel, and i've sprayed several cars in my garage with really good professional results, just it stinks, it's a real pain to do, easy to make a mistake, messy, and expensive. The tremclad is awesome paint, the "real orange" is an amazing hemi orange, and almost looks like it has some perl in the sun, awesome color right out of the can. I used this technique on my 1974 beetle also, here are the results:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/Picture10.jpg
the car before:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/IM000475.jpg
another after pic:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC00164.jpg
here is a car i sprayed (71 beetle, midnight blue metalic):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC00194.jpg
here is the car before (71 beetle):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/Picture1.jpg

here's a few pics of the charger done:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC02764.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC02769.jpg

well that's my 2 cents worth, sorry for the long post. i was borred lol
i painted the orange beetle in 1999, and it still looks like the day i painted it, the 71 blue beetle i painted in 2000, and built the car for my dad, i used the same paint on my charger, maybe one day i'll spring for a good paint job, prepping is 90% of the work, stripping the car, sanding, ect.....painting is overrated!!!
So if you have TIME, then i'd say go for it, the worst that could happen is that it does'nt turn out and your out $50, but if your paitient, and expriement with lets say just the trunk pannel and if you like it do the whole car, if not just get it done by someone else for $4000. i don't know about you guys, but i would rather spend the $4000 on other parts like getting the mechanics sorted out and new chrome, cause when u have really nice paint and crappy bumpers, door handles it just sticks out more.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Mustanghater] #21499
01/25/06 04:04 PM
01/25/06 04:04 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,161
SW MO
closer9 Offline
top fuel
closer9  Offline
top fuel

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,161
SW MO
Quote:

what ever happened to rattle can paint jobs? I think it gives cars a " I can take on anything" look.




I've got one! 1975 F100 SWB. Rattle can flat black, well not done yet... Just taking it one panel at a time, as I feel so inclined. Looks better than brown/tan missing the trim...


Daily:
'02 Wrangler, 4.0L/5-spd
Belle:
'67 Belvedere Convertible, 318/727 in Go ManGo!
Other:
'15 300 3.6/AWD
'64 C10, 283/3 on the tree
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: closer9] #21500
01/25/06 04:13 PM
01/25/06 04:13 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 16,102
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 16,102
Grand Haven, MI
I know of a place here on the west side that will probably do it for that much....


1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD 1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!*** 2006 Inferno Red Dodge Caravan SXT 2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: closer9] #21501
01/25/06 04:14 PM
01/25/06 04:14 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,980
Ansonia, CT
C
CJK440 Offline
master
CJK440  Offline
master
C

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,980
Ansonia, CT
Dude, you painted this Charger with a roller??



Are you serious?? If so you rock!!

You can probably sell that article to Car Craft, they'd eat it up!!


Just enjoying the drive...... Back to basics with a little boost thrown in.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: closer9] #21502
01/25/06 04:15 PM
01/25/06 04:15 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,753
Gulf Coast of Florida
Russ Offline
super gas
Russ  Offline
super gas

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,753
Gulf Coast of Florida
Quote:

Quote:

what ever happened to rattle can paint jobs? I think it gives cars a " I can take on anything" look.




I've got one! 1975 F100 SWB. Rattle can flat black, well not done yet... Just taking it one panel at a time, as I feel so inclined. Looks better than brown/tan missing the trim...




Thank goodness for Big Lots


2001 Durango 5.9 Magnum 99 Durango 5.9 Magnum Parting out 99 Durango 5.9,99 Ram 1500 and 98 Ram 1500 5.9 WANTED.Ram Truck,Durango/Dakota parts and parts trucks!!PM Me. GO BUCKS!!!! Go GATORS!!!!
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21503
01/25/06 04:20 PM
01/25/06 04:20 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A



Quote:

here's how i painted my car for about $50, it's actually very easy and the results are amazing. First off, get a can of tremclad real orange (or what ever color u want) in the can, not spray, yes tremclad, it is a acrylic/enamel paint which is very durable. next prep your car as if was any other paint job, fix all the rust, ect....no need to prime the car since the tremclad allready contains elements which allow it to be painted over bare metal. next, after prepping the car get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam. u also need a jug of mineral spirits to thin the paint. The thing i really like about this is that there's no mess, no tapeing the whole car, just key areas, and u can do it in your garage, since your not spraying there is virtually no dust in the air, just clean your garage first, also it does'nt really smell at all, dries overnight and it super tough paint. also it you decide to paint the car professionally later, just prep and paint, there's no need to strip the tremclad. i have done this to a few cars, and i can say it works amazing, u just have to be paitient. next u thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker. get out the roller and paint away, don't get the paint shaked when u buy it, enamel is stirred, otherwise you'll have bubbles in the paint for a week!!! after u do 2 coats, wet sand the whole car, then repeat, 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats wetsand. i painted the charger using a can since your not spraying the car u use all the paint and not spray 50% in the air, use progressivly finer sand paper each time. it's not really that much work, cause u can stop and start any time, u can do just a door, or the hood, ect. do one panel at a time, and don't stop once you start. once your done the final coat, wetsand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher i use a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound. do the whole car with this, and i'm telling u, depending on the amount of time and paitence you have, the results are amazing. laugh if you want, but for $50 ($30 for paint, about $20 for rollers, sand paper, ect...) it really looks good. also you can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning u can wet sand. i have personally done alot of painting, mostly single stage acrylic enamel, and i've sprayed several cars in my garage with really good professional results, just it stinks, it's a real pain to do, easy to make a mistake, messy, and expensive. The tremclad is awesome paint, the "real orange" is an amazing hemi orange, and almost looks like it has some perl in the sun, awesome color right out of the can. I used this technique on my 1974 beetle also, here are the results:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/Picture10.jpg
the car before:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/IM000475.jpg
another after pic:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC00164.jpg
here is a car i sprayed (71 beetle, midnight blue metalic):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC00194.jpg
here is the car before (71 beetle):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/Picture1.jpg

here's a few pics of the charger done:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC02764.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC02769.jpg

well that's my 2 cents worth, sorry for the long post. i was borred lol
i painted the orange beetle in 1999, and it still looks like the day i painted it, the 71 blue beetle i painted in 2000, and built the car for my dad, i used the same paint on my charger, maybe one day i'll spring for a good paint job, prepping is 90% of the work, stripping the car, sanding, ect.....painting is overrated!!!
So if you have TIME, then i'd say go for it, the worst that could happen is that it does'nt turn out and your out $50, but if your paitient, and expriement with lets say just the trunk pannel and if you like it do the whole car, if not just get it done by someone else for $4000. i don't know about you guys, but i would rather spend the $4000 on other parts like getting the mechanics sorted out and new chrome, cause when u have really nice paint and crappy bumpers, door handles it just sticks out more.



The Charger looks awesome. TREMCLAD? where can I get it?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21504
01/25/06 04:26 PM
01/25/06 04:26 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,220
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,220
toronto canada
Yes i painted it with a "profesional" high density foam roller. The trick is in how you thin the paint, get it as thin as possible without running, and the paint "self levels" it comes out like glass, wet sanding just makes it better, it all depends on how much time u have. i have sprayed a few cars in my garage with a single stage acrylic enamel and it's a pain, messy, stinks, ect... the tremclad is almost odorless and is really easy to work with. u can paint one day, wetsand the next and immedieatly recoat. once you got all the coats on, just wetsand and buff with a compound, then wax and your good to go. i've done 3 cars this way and the 74 beetle i did 6yrs ago, still looks awesome. the paint is cheap like $30 a gallon, you can get it tinted to any color u like. on the charger i used about 3/4 of a can, when u spray even with a HVLP gun, u still waste about 30% of the paint that just goes in the air. Tremclad is basically rust paint, but it is the new type which is a enamal. i still strip the car of chrome, bumpers, handles, keylocks, basically everything, and then just tape only using tape where i might get paint on something i don't want painted. the paint is tough, like stove paint when it's done, i've spilt gas on it in like really hot weather, and it resists stone chips really well. i had to repaint a fender on the beetle like 2 yrs ago, so i just got a small can of paint 3 yrs later and the color match is exact.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21505
01/25/06 05:55 PM
01/25/06 05:55 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 12,561
Sacramento, CA
cal_gecko Offline
I Live Here
cal_gecko  Offline
I Live Here

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 12,561
Sacramento, CA
Quote:

Yes i painted it with a "profesional" high density foam roller. The trick is in how you thin the paint, get it as thin as possible without running, and the paint "self levels" it comes out like glass, wet sanding just makes it better, it all depends on how much time u have. i have sprayed a few cars in my garage with a single stage acrylic enamel and it's a pain, messy, stinks, ect... the tremclad is almost odorless and is really easy to work with. u can paint one day, wetsand the next and immedieatly recoat. once you got all the coats on, just wetsand and buff with a compound, then wax and your good to go. i've done 3 cars this way and the 74 beetle i did 6yrs ago, still looks awesome. the paint is cheap like $30 a gallon, you can get it tinted to any color u like. on the charger i used about 3/4 of a can, when u spray even with a HVLP gun, u still waste about 30% of the paint that just goes in the air. Tremclad is basically rust paint, but it is the new type which is a enamal. i still strip the car of chrome, bumpers, handles, keylocks, basically everything, and then just tape only using tape where i might get paint on something i don't want painted. the paint is tough, like stove paint when it's done, i've spilt gas on it in like really hot weather, and it resists stone chips really well. i had to repaint a fender on the beetle like 2 yrs ago, so i just got a small can of paint 3 yrs later and the color match is exact.




This is really interesting! I'm thinking about using it on my beater car (90 Honda Civic).. where can this paint be purchased?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: cal_gecko] #21506
01/25/06 10:06 PM
01/25/06 10:06 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,220
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,220
toronto canada
i'm up in Canada, here it's called Tremclad, in the US it would be the rustoleum or something like that, it's a rust paint, buffs really nice, but make sure it's the new stuff like a enamal, or acrylic enamal. goes right over anything and does'nt react with any old paint, right over bondo, don't use any primer, just the paint. on a car i used to have i had it professionally painted 4 yrs after i painted it and they put a base/clear on it with no isues. it's really easy to do just be paitient, take your time, test on something first and perfect the tequnique, as a hint if you try it first you paint the surface, and then really lightly "skim" the surface with the weight of the roller only to remove any lines bubbles ect, then just leave it for a minute or two and you'll see it just "self levels" totally flat to glass. then wetsand it really fine, use a spray bottle and keep the paper really wet, finish with a 1000 grit or so and then buff with a random orbit polisher using turtle wax POLISHING compound, NOT the rubbing compound, its' to harsh. it is critical to use the proper roller, it's about 4" wide and about 1 1/2" thick, and really high density white foam. it really works and is much tougher paint than todays single stage or base clear, very hard to scratch, but easy to buff. i get compliments on my paint jobs, and they never believe how i do it.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21507
01/25/06 10:58 PM
01/25/06 10:58 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 340
Houston, Tx
T56DAK Offline
enthusiast
T56DAK  Offline
enthusiast

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 340
Houston, Tx
If that works, I owe you a six pack. And not talking about a top end of a motor. If you can tell us a US equivalent, that would be super. This would be acquired at a paint store, not a department store that sells Rustoleum products correct?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: T56DAK] #21508
01/25/06 11:09 PM
01/25/06 11:09 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 137
Berlin, WI
S
safetymike1977 Offline
member
safetymike1977  Offline
member
S

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 137
Berlin, WI
You got to be kidding me! Wow... Must be time consuming though, but very cool. Beats the rattle can... Now your finge won't get tired.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: safetymike1977] #21509
01/25/06 11:24 PM
01/25/06 11:24 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,026
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
GTSDave Offline
master
GTSDave  Offline
master

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,026
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
The best black paint job I can remember was done by a friend of mine and his dad back when we were in high school. They painted it with foam brushes, and buffed to a mirror shine.

All through high school he had the best paint job of any of our old hot rods. And they did it under their carport! I have no idea what kind of paint it was, but they put it on with the foam brushes and it did like you said, and self leveled.

-Dave


PLEASE Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way.

GTS Registry
Page 1 of 85 1 2 3 84 85

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Moparts Newest Topics
Changing out heater core
by JBurch. 05/25/19 07:11 AM
Muslepalooza
by 1969ronnie. 05/25/19 07:06 AM
Flea and tick for pets??
by MI_Custumz. 05/25/19 06:20 AM
71 Baracuda needs restoration
by PDR Dude. 05/25/19 02:43 AM
power brake booster
by barryv. 05/24/19 10:31 PM
Moparts Recent Posts
Exide battery just installed.
by mopars4ever. 05/25/19 09:04 AM
Rear frame rails.
by DaveRS23. 05/25/19 08:51 AM
power brake booster
by Andrewh. 05/25/19 08:48 AM
Any Next Gen Trekkies Here?
by 2boltmain. 05/25/19 08:48 AM
WIW: E-Body K-Member Assembly
by RapidRobert. 05/25/19 08:48 AM

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1