Oh
P
parksr5 Offline OP
super stock
parksr5  Offline OP
super stock
P

Oh
In some recent posts, a lot of our long time racers have been reminiscing about their 70's, 80's, ext combinations. I really find the old combos interesting and impressive and it always makes me think, what if some of you guys who are still doing this today could essentially recreate your motors from years past with a few new parts; what would the combination be?

For example, still use ported 906 heads or 440 Source heads at the max. TRW pistons or a modern day equivalent, still use a flat tappet cam, maybe the lowest cost cast steel or equivalent rod (scat or something along those lines or would you still trust 40+ year old re-conned rods?), any intake available today and any carb available today. If you guys could wring high nines out of these things in the 70’s or 80's, what could you do today with a similar combo but, with new cam, intake and carb tech and the additional knowledge of 30+ years?

Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: parksr5] #2133582
08/15/16 03:38 PM
08/15/16 03:38 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
We used some stuff then, because we HAD to. Today, I wouldn't waste the time to grind on a set of 906s. I also didn't use those heavy azz TRW slugs then and wouldn't now. Also cam technology is better these days as is everything else...........So to answer the question I suppose, no, I wouldn't build it today like I did then. I see no reason to. Embrace whats available, don't be lost in the past

Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: Monte_Smith] #2133613
08/15/16 04:12 PM
08/15/16 04:12 PM
Florida
mack Offline
mack  Offline

Florida
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
We used some stuff then, because we HAD to. Today, I wouldn't waste the time to grind on a set of 906s. I also didn't use those heavy azz TRW slugs then and wouldn't now. Also cam technology is better these days as is everything else...........So to answer the question I suppose, no, I wouldn't build it today like I did then. I see no reason to. Embrace whats available, don't be lost in the past

Well said!!!!!!

Mack Reeves SST 2377 FS/D 2377
Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: Monte_Smith] #2133626
08/15/16 04:23 PM
08/15/16 04:23 PM
new jersey usa
11secdart Offline
master
11secdart  Offline
master

new jersey usa
I have had a few small block combinations starting with a 340 627 lift roller cam 12.5 to 1 compression and W2 heads it made 527 hp went 10.70s next was a 360 magnum short block same W2 heads 590 lift mechanical cam , stock bottom end ( cast crank) made in the 530 hp range went 10.70s next was same block, same W2 heads,forged crank, better rods and SRP pistons, 11.5 to 1 comp. made 549 hp 450 tq and went a best of 10.40 and my present combo a R3 block 20 over, Indy 360-1 heads/ intake 600 lift mech. cam 9.5 to 1 comp made 538 hp and 502 tq went 10.70s it seems I keep lowering the compression and with cam and head technology keep making the same power even better now as I can use pump gas.The first two engines were stock stroke the present combo is four inch stroke ( 408 ). By the way because of my present motor having over 50 ft lbs of tq more than my 363 i was able to take gear out of the car, I had 4.88s and now have 4.10s and my 60ft times are the same consistent low 1.50s. the car is capable of 10.70s but is mechanical throttle stopped down to run 11.50s for Street Eliminator and Index racing

IMG_0565.jpg
Last edited by 11secdart; 08/16/16 09:53 PM.

68 Dart 410 / 904
92 D150 original owner
21 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Big Horn , Hemi ,4x4
23 Audi Q5
16 Honda HRV
Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: Monte_Smith] #2133640
08/15/16 04:35 PM
08/15/16 04:35 PM
Oh
P
parksr5 Offline OP
super stock
parksr5  Offline OP
super stock
P

Oh

Oh, I completely know what you’re saying.

Let me try to come at this from a different angle. Lets say there is an engine masters competition where the perimeters include using a stock 440 block that was no more than 30-60 over but could be modified in any other way, any shelf piston available today can be used, 906 or Stage V heads are mandatory but, you can mill, port or modify them however you choose, any modern intake, carb and flat tappet cam can be used and modified however you’d like. A lower cost replacement rod or factory re-conned rod must be used. Any header can be used. Ductile Iron Rockers must be used. No strokers are allowed. What would your combo be?

So, essentially where staying within the same confines of the 60's and 70's but, with new tech and an additional 30-40 some odd years of wisdom.

Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: 11secdart] #2133648
08/15/16 04:39 PM
08/15/16 04:39 PM
Oh
P
parksr5 Offline OP
super stock
parksr5  Offline OP
super stock
P

Oh
Originally Posted By 11secdart
I have had a few small block combinations starting with a 340 627 lift roller cam 12.5 to 1 compression and w2 heads it made 527 hp went 10.70snext was a 360 magnum short block same W2 heads 590 lift mechanical cam , stock bottom end ( cast crank) made in the 530 hp range went 10.70s next was same block, same W2 heads,forged crank better rods and SRP pistons s, 11.5 to 1 comp. made 549 hp 450 tq and went a best of 10.40 and my present combo a R3 block 20 over, Indy 360-1 heads/ intake 600 lift mech. cam 9.5 to 1 comp made 538 hp and 502 tq went 10.70s it seems I keep lowering the compression and with cam and head technology keep making the same power even better now as I can use pump gas.

Very interesting information with real world examples. Thank you!

Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: parksr5] #2133684
08/15/16 06:00 PM
08/15/16 06:00 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Originally Posted By parksr5

Let me try to come at this from a different angle. Lets say there is an engine masters competition where the perimeters include using a stock 440 block that was no more than 30-60 over but could be modified in any other way, any shelf piston available today can be used, 906 or Stage V heads are mandatory but, you can mill, port or modify them however you choose, any modern intake, carb and flat tappet cam can be used and modified however you’d like. A lower cost replacement rod or factory re-conned rod must be used. Any header can be used. Ductile Iron Rockers must be used. No strokers are allowed. What would your combo be?

So, essentially where staying within the same confines of the 60's and 70's but, with new tech and an additional 30-40 some odd years of wisdom.
Well a combo like that wouldn't interest me in the least, but if I HAD to build that, I would grind the crank pin to chevy size, find the shortest compression height piston I could and get a longer rod in it, with a modern ring package. Get the bobweight as light as I could. Deck the block as much as possible and not sacrifice deck strength. Ported and rolled over Stage V heads. If I could have a tunnel ram, I would run one with two custom carbs with 850 size base plates. Having to run a flat tappet would kill me, as I have never been a flat tappet guy, but obviously a modern lobe on a larger core if I could get it in the block. LS Chevy firing order. Probably 2.25 headers with a nice merge collector

I see what you are asking.......and that is stock block, stock stroke, stock length rod, stock compression height, stock style head........ what would you build to make power. My answer or question would be, why limit yourself to those parameters when it could be done so much better, for little to no more money.

Now I don't know what that motor I had back then made for power, but it was enough to push a 3000lb car in the high 9s. Those heads were done by Racing Head Service and there would be SOME power in modern porting, but not much, because the head(906) just is what it is. It also had the .500 lobe roller in it and there would be some in a modern cam. But those changes wouldn't make a HUGE change in power. That motor back then was done right and one I did now would be right, but you will still be limited because of the head castings.

But the sad thing and this was the point John was alluding to, is lots of guys have WAY better parts now and surely access to way better parts than we had back then, but they don't run any better now than we did then. That is the part that is hard to imagine. Just the tire, suspension, track, converter technology should be enough to really increase performance, but it hasn't. And it is truly hard to understand why

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 08/15/16 06:26 PM.
Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: Monte_Smith] #2133746
08/15/16 07:13 PM
08/15/16 07:13 PM
UK
rb446 Offline
mopar
rb446  Offline
mopar

UK

Well a combo like that wouldn't interest me in the least, but if I HAD to build that, I would grind the crank pin to chevy size, find the shortest compression height piston I could and get a longer rod in it, with a modern ring package. Get the bobweight as light as I could. Deck the block as much as possible and not sacrifice deck strength. Ported and rolled over Stage V heads. If I could have a tunnel ram, I would run one with two custom carbs with 850 size base plates. Having to run a flat tappet would kill me, as I have never been a flat tappet guy, but obviously a modern lobe on a larger core if I could get it in the block. LS Chevy firing order. Probably 2.25 headers with a nice merge collector

I see what you are asking.......and that is stock block, stock stroke, stock length rod, stock compression height, stock style head........ what would you build to make power. My answer or question would be, why limit yourself to those parameters when it could be done so much better, for little to no more money.

Now I don't know what that motor I had back then made for power, but it was enough to push a 3000lb car in the high 9s. Those heads were done by Racing Head Service and there would be SOME power in modern porting, but not much, because the head(906) just is what it is. It also had the .500 lobe roller in it and there would be some in a modern cam. But those changes wouldn't make a HUGE change in power. That motor back then was done right and one I did now would be right, but you will still be limited because of the head castings.

But the sad thing and this was the point John was alluding to, is lots of guys have WAY better parts now and surely access to way better parts than we had back then, but they don't run any better now than we did then. That is the part that is hard to imagine. Just the tire, suspension, track, converter technology should be enough to really increase performance, but it hasn't. And it is truly hard to understand why

Thats what comes across to me as well over here, but you gotta be careful in what you say cos your gonna get your head chopped off if you say anything or try to suggest some things, I'm not one to mince my words too much normally but it just seems futile, so I've gone racing with a old mate who now has his new PRo-Mod car out, now thats a learning curve.

I ran a 3000lb back half big tyre '69 cuda with a thrown together in the kitchen lame old 446 6-pack motor probably around 9.8:1 or less with a pair of 906 BV heads that didn't flow much in excess of 250cfm, the wrong cam really which was the old CC 290/.650 SFT, a crappy old 850DP and a not so good Team G intake and managed a poor 10.7 as a 1 time NA shot before I hit it with sniff to go 9's, and I reckon it could've gone in the 50's with some messing with. Most similar mopar weight cars I see going down the track today are still in the mid to 10.30's with 493/500/512 motors etc., just don't get it.....they should all be in the 9's easy.....

Last edited by rb446; 08/15/16 07:33 PM.

1969 'Cuda 446ci, best 9.96@133.9 in 1990
1971 340 'Cuda, best 11.01@122.8 in 1987
Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: Monte_Smith] #2133761
08/15/16 07:33 PM
08/15/16 07:33 PM
Oh
P
parksr5 Offline OP
super stock
parksr5  Offline OP
super stock
P

Oh

Thank you for the post!

So, you mentioned that it could be done better for little to no more money. I guess I would ask how better heads, stroker kit, ext could be had for just a little more than the cost of home ported heads that can be had for free in some instances (just the head cores), a machined original block and original forged crank that may need turned and or polished and some cheaper optioned rods and shelf pistons?

I'm serious too; just trying to soak in the info. Again, I find this very interesting given the experience of some on the board.

Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: rb446] #2133768
08/15/16 07:50 PM
08/15/16 07:50 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
The biggest advancements have been in tires
and shocks... yeah we make about the same power
for most of us.. but the tires and shocks have
made the cars quicker and faster... back then the
best we had for a shock was a truck shock.. hell I
was bolting on spring steel plates on my springs way
back then for better leverage.. and it worked but I
was never a big engine builder... I was always make
it light and do the best you can to make it hook...
still pretty much the same way
wave

Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: MR_P_BODY] #2133850
08/15/16 09:08 PM
08/15/16 09:08 PM

6_pack_runner
Unregistered
6_pack_runner
Unregistered

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY
wave

What ????!!!!! Maybe if you are talking about from the 60's.......

imo, cylinder heads are by far the biggest advancement....

One must remember that alot of these guys have "happy" memories.....similar to some "happy" dynos..........

Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: ] #2133864
08/15/16 09:36 PM
08/15/16 09:36 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Originally Posted By 6_pack_runner
Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY
wave

What ????!!!!! Maybe if you are talking about from the 60's.......

imo, cylinder heads are by far the biggest advancement....

One must remember that alot of these guys have "happy" memories.....similar to some "happy" dynos..........

Yes.. 60s and early 70s... watch the old dragsters and
they spun the whole length on the track... plus back then
they could actually measure the hpand not guess like they
do now.. they dont have a way to measure the torque they
make now days.. and the shocks now are at least putting
the power to the track... heads now are only a bit better
than they were years ago... and the flow benches are far
better to get the heads better
wave

Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: parksr5] #2133938
08/15/16 11:05 PM
08/15/16 11:05 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
"The older I get,,the faster I USED to go"...but don't make me prove it. LOL

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: parksr5] #2133996
08/16/16 12:14 AM
08/16/16 12:14 AM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Ran this car in 68 and 69 in the division 5 AHRA Midwest circuit. Since it ran in a stock class, there were limitations as to what you could do / modify. By todays standards, mostly junk. You still played on the edges of the class rules though - just like today.

64 Dodge.jpg

Fastest 300
Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: Crizila] #2134011
08/16/16 12:34 AM
08/16/16 12:34 AM
B
birdtracker Offline
super stock
birdtracker  Offline
super stock
B

from 1986 thru 2002 I hauled my GTX then the Darster. I use to do swap meets and used the truck for that also. I still have it today.This was putting it away for the winter. Motor is out and storeage wheels. Birdtracker

Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: parksr5] #2134052
08/16/16 01:25 AM
08/16/16 01:25 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
To me one of the biggest things I see different is strokers. I was bracket racing a 4-speed 340 Dart back in the 70's and early 80's and I just dont remember hardly anyone running stroker engines back in the 70's or early 80's. Today everyone does I hardly ever hear of someone building a stock stroke eng. Actually the 493 in my 63 is the first stroker I have ever built for myself but its a mild pump gas street eng that I drive 99% of the time and race a little. But I figured since its a driver why not build it as a stroker and get some extra torque and hp since I race through the pipes in street trim. Also I agree about the cyl heads of today as we have so many more to choose from and they are so much better. Back in the 70's I dont remember any aluminum heads for the Mopar bigblock wedge ? How many can we choose from today ? I know I dont have no high dollar race car and am usually around guys like me with low buck mild combo's but I do feel thats strokers and aluminum cyl heads are two of the things I see today that I did not see much years ago. Ron

Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: 383man] #2134173
08/16/16 10:16 AM
08/16/16 10:16 AM
north of coder
moparx Online content
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Online Content
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
the reason i would do a somewhat "modernized" old time engine combo is, hopefully, i could pick up obsolete but good [junk by today's standards but physically good otherwise] parts really cheap. i still have the interest, but health issues consume a ton of my meager income. strict attention to detail at the assembly stage would gain an advantage to results, due to the knowledge we have accumulated since "back in the day". at least i think it could.
beer

Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: moparx] #2134293
08/16/16 01:01 PM
08/16/16 01:01 PM
Oh
P
parksr5 Offline OP
super stock
parksr5  Offline OP
super stock
P

Oh
Originally Posted By moparx
the reason i would do a somewhat "modernized" old time engine combo is, hopefully, i could pick up obsolete but good [junk by today's standards but physically good otherwise] parts really cheap. i still have the interest, but health issues consume a ton of my meager income. strict attention to detail at the assembly stage would gain an advantage to results, due to the knowledge we have accumulated since "back in the day". at least i think it could.
beer

This is one of the reasons I feel that these types of builds are still relevant.

Ron, I was hoping you would chime in too; thank you!

There has been some great discussion above but, cost is what restricts most of us. Realistically, most of us can not afford and will never be able to afford something like Monte has. I too have some health issues that use up some of my money. Most have mortgages and or living expenses and many have multiple kids.

I will most likely never own anything faster than 10’s and I don’t know if I want to either so; why build something with high dollar parts if it can be built to run 10’s with used cheaper swap meet parts and still be reliable and finish in the winner’s circle? I have two friends right now that have cars like this and up until a few years ago, neither had many new or really trick parts on their cars. They both go rounds, both have finished in the money multiple times and both have multiple kids, mortgages, car payments, one has student loan debt, ext.
It’s what they can afford and still be able to race and have fun.

I also like the challenge of going as fast as I can with “X”. For example, I’ve seen two people in particular on this board (one small block and one big block) that are pretty much on a mission to run as fast as they can with Edlebrock Performer RPM heads. Are there better heads? Sure, but both of their cars are very impressive for what they are and they just keep tooling away and go faster and faster. The other “X” that I pay attention to a lot and I think most of us enjoy is factory appearing stock tire. Is there a tire that will give us faster times than a 7” polyglas tire? Sure, but lets see how fast we can go on the polyglas.

Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: parksr5] #2134319
08/16/16 01:32 PM
08/16/16 01:32 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Some parts that we used to use would be crazy to use now the perfect example wold be connecting rods. By time I paid to change bolts, resize, balance, magnaflux, shot peen, I would polish the beems, usually bronze bushings for the piston pin, and cross my fingers they would last. We had to over cam to make up for lackluster head flow and for some reason they loved over carbureted. A Friend of mine is doing a build like this as we speak but pretty sure he will be using Stealth heads. 906 heads worked back then but by time you upgrade the valves, bronze guides, port, true up the decks, magnaflux for cracks it adds up to a lot of money. Stealths max out at 267 cfm stock on my bench and go 300 cfm plus with minor porting. Make your choices wisely.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Since Everyone Is Reminiscing About Their Old Cars/Combos [Re: pittsburghracer] #2134324
08/16/16 01:42 PM
08/16/16 01:42 PM
Oh
P
parksr5 Offline OP
super stock
parksr5  Offline OP
super stock
P

Oh
Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
Some parts that we used to use would be crazy to use now the perfect example wold be connecting rods. By time I paid to change bolts, resize, balance, magnaflux, shot peen, I would polish the beems, usually bronze bushings for the piston pin, and cross my fingers they would last. We had to over cam to make up for lackluster head flow and for some reason they loved over carbureted. A Friend of mine is doing a build like this as we speak but pretty sure he will be using Stealth heads. 906 heads worked back then but by time you upgrade the valves, bronze guides, port, true up the decks, magnaflux for cracks it adds up to a lot of money. Stealths max out at 267 cfm stock on my bench and go 300 cfm plus with minor porting. Make your choices wisely.

Not that I have anything in the works right now but, yes, I doubt I'd ever trust original rods at this point and I don't know that they'd be cost efficient. I'm not disagreeing on some points made either; just trying to play devils advocate in some of these situations.

What cheaper rod options are there these days?

Page 1 of 2 1 2