07/09/16 11:50 PM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho

PLYMOUTH
Ok, so I think I found a car to build. the title thing scared me away from the humpbacks. If I still lived in Nevada, I can get a title for anything for $150.00 providing its not stolen. I know the process and its easy. HERE in Idaho, its harder and frankly I got scared off. is

I had a 38 plymouth a while back and sold it prior to my big move. I found this 39 plymouth and its cheap but its missing a lot. All the floors are gone, the rear fenders are cut and there is some rust in the back pan. However there is a title and I have this yellow fender that I THINK is for a 39. It looks like it, its perfect and that will save me that hunt so I will just needs the rear drivers side.

My plan is to try and use this 92 Dakota on it. That is if I can still use the title with the changes. I will as the DMV. I am heading to look at this rig on monday and hope to bring it back.

It needs all new floors and I know they dont make them so I will have to fab them, any suggestions?

what ya think?

MY FENDER I HOPE WILL FIT A 39?

GUESSES.

GUESSES.

Re: Potential buy 39 Plymouth coupe/ I have questions and pics. [Re: RUMBLON] #2107059
07/09/16 11:51 PM
07/09/16 11:51 PM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho

GUESSES.

IMG_7356 (2).JPG
Re: Potential buy 39 Plymouth coupe/ I have questions and pics. [Re: RUMBLON] #2107089
07/10/16 12:44 AM
07/10/16 12:44 AM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
Forgot to mention. according to the owner there is a volare front end under this already and a ford 9 inch out back.

RUMBLON

Re: Potential buy 39 Plymouth coupe/ I have questions and pics. [Re: RUMBLON] #2107111
07/10/16 01:23 AM
07/10/16 01:23 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
I was gonna say someone already clipped the front suspension.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Potential buy 39 Plymouth coupe/ I have questions and pics. [Re: Supercuda] #2107123
07/10/16 01:51 AM
07/10/16 01:51 AM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
Originally Posted By Supercuda
I was gonna say someone already clipped the front suspension.

Being mostly a recovering muscle car guy Im not versed in volare stuff or how to properly do the swap but I will do my best to check it out. My plans were use this Dakota but if the volare parts are correct, done right and usable I guess I can save the truck for something else.

RUMBLON

Re: Potential buy 39 Plymouth coupe/ I have questions and pics. [Re: RUMBLON] #2107133
07/10/16 02:20 AM
07/10/16 02:20 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
The Volare front suspension was a complete unit that bolted to the car in it's original application. Unlike an A body, for example, that had the UCA mounts welded to the frame rails and the LCA bolted to the removable K member.

So it's less easy to mess up the suspension on the Volare setup.

However, that suspension is usually too wide for early cars, not the front tire to fender clearances when you look at it. In the pics it looks skinny and out, not too mention too high in the front but with no eng/trans it's hard to say how it will sit when done. You might be able to tuck the front tires in, if need be, with Mustang rims as they have a lot more offset than Volare rims.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Potential buy 39 Plymouth coupe/ I have questions and pics. [Re: RUMBLON] #2107198
07/10/16 10:38 AM
07/10/16 10:38 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
If you wanted a Mopar suspension clip under your Mopar 30 years ago, the Volare clip was THE way to go. Everything was mounted to the subframe, and the subframe was mounted to the original car with 4 bolts through bushings. Though not a perfect design, and it was a bit too wide (as were most clip options of the time), it was much easier then adding separate suspension pieces (crossmember, upper control arm mounting, and lower control arm mounting).

I ran a 35 Dodge with a Volare clip on it on the road for 7 years and 66,000 miles. The clip is wide for the 30s cars, I moved the front fenders out 2" per side for tire clearance, but adding 2" to each side of the grill shell, or the area between the grill and the fenders on a 39 is going to be a much bigger challenge then it was on the 35. These days, several modern factory steel (and mag) wheels are made that would move the wheel inside the fender, provided they clear the brake rotor and calipers. Early Dakota 5 bolt wheels (and others) will bolt onto the Volare rotors, but I don't know bout clearance issues.

The Volare clip on that 39 was not installed using the bolt on method, they cut the Volare subframe ans welded it to the frame rails. Many people did that with the Volare clip, because it had awkward bolt up locations. Welding it on eliminated several lbs of steel Mopar added to the subframe for the bolt on purpose. The biggest issue with welding it to the frame is there is no room for error. If the install was center correctly, all is good, unfortunately, there is probably no way of knowing until you drive it down the road. Measuring may help, but where would you measure from? Es specially since the rear suspension has been modified as well.

The yellow fender looks to have about the correct curves, but it looks a little short to me, 39 rear fenders are pretty long. Depending on what is cut on the current 39 fenders, it might be easier to repair them. The original wheel opening was pretty small, and the fenders are not very far away from the body, wide rear tires run very close to the fender lips. Cutting rear fenders for tire clearance was often done, back when the Volare clip was a popular clip.

Floor boards and trunk floors are pretty flat. If you posses the skills to build the rest of the car, the floors shouldn't be an issue. The floors in most old cars and trucks are toast (at least in my world). If you decide to use the Dakota frame, the Dakota floor pan will work in the front, and the Dakota box floor works well from the cab floor back, at least it seems to have worked out OK with my 48 Plymouth.

From what I see in the pictures, I would check to be sure the front clip and the rear clip are square and inline with each other. Given that being correct, I'd finish that guy's start, it looks like a good base to build from. You are still 1,000 productive work hours from being road worthy, and then several more hours from being a "show" car. If you start over, your 2,000 hours from being road worthy. Gene

Re: Potential buy 39 Plymouth coupe/ I have questions and pics. [Re: poorboy] #2107226
07/10/16 11:33 AM
07/10/16 11:33 AM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
Originally Posted By poorboy
If you wanted a Mopar suspension clip under your Mopar 30 years ago, the Volare clip was THE way to go. Everything was mounted to the subframe, and the subframe was mounted to the original car with 4 bolts through bushings. Though not a perfect design, and it was a bit too wide (as were most clip options of the time), it was much easier then adding separate suspension pieces (crossmember, upper control arm mounting, and lower control arm mounting).

I ran a 35 Dodge with a Volare clip on it on the road for 7 years and 66,000 miles. The clip is wide for the 30s cars, I moved the front fenders out 2" per side for tire clearance, but adding 2" to each side of the grill shell, or the area between the grill and the fenders on a 39 is going to be a much bigger challenge then it was on the 35. These days, several modern factory steel (and mag) wheels are made that would move the wheel inside the fender, provided they clear the brake rotor and calipers. Early Dakota 5 bolt wheels (and others) will bolt onto the Volare rotors, but I don't know bout clearance issues.

The Volare clip on that 39 was not installed using the bolt on method, they cut the Volare subframe ans welded it to the frame rails. Many people did that with the Volare clip, because it had awkward bolt up locations. Welding it on eliminated several lbs of steel Mopar added to the subframe for the bolt on purpose. The biggest issue with welding it to the frame is there is no room for error. If the install was center correctly, all is good, unfortunately, there is probably no way of knowing until you drive it down the road. Measuring may help, but where would you measure from? Es specially since the rear suspension has been modified as well.

The yellow fender looks to have about the correct curves, but it looks a little short to me, 39 rear fenders are pretty long. Depending on what is cut on the current 39 fenders, it might be easier to repair them. The original wheel opening was pretty small, and the fenders are not very far away from the body, wide rear tires run very close to the fender lips. Cutting rear fenders for tire clearance was often done, back when the Volare clip was a popular clip.

Floor boards and trunk floors are pretty flat. If you posses the skills to build the rest of the car, the floors shouldn't be an issue. The floors in most old cars and trucks are toast (at least in my world). If you decide to use the Dakota frame, the Dakota floor pan will work in the front, and the Dakota box floor works well from the cab floor back, at least it seems to have worked out OK with my 48 Plymouth.

From what I see in the pictures, I would check to be sure the front clip and the rear clip are square and inline with each other. Given that being correct, I'd finish that guy's start, it looks like a good base to build from. You are still 1,000 productive work hours from being road worthy, and then several more hours from being a "show" car. If you start over, your 2,000 hours from being road worthy. Gene

POORBOY thanks for info. I am probably going to buy it today if it stops raining. Its a $500 car so I figure I really cant go wrong for that price. I wont be doing any sort of all out show car. After selling the 70 cuda vert, putting any sort of large money into a car wont due as Im building A ranch and thats my priority. I just want something to play with, especially when its winter and I need to get outside.

I picked up a $ 200 92 Dakota a few months ago. Runs great, is a 318 magnum auto truck. I figure I would use this on a project of some sort, either something like this or my 50 studebaker truck.

I think I will go look at it and if its not real bad, then I can grab it, take a ton of pics to see if its butchered or not and go from there. I no longer need 400HP cars so if I use the Dakota I think dressing up that little 318 would be fine. I also now live on 5 miles of gravel roads to get home, so unless I want to trailer it when its done, painted, it may just get a quickie paint job or some sort of patina paint. Otherwise I will have to trailer it back and forth to prevent new paint from being destroyed.

I will post many more pick when I get it.

RUMBLON

Re: Potential buy 39 Plymouth coupe/ I have questions and pics. [Re: RUMBLON] #2107294
07/10/16 02:01 PM
07/10/16 02:01 PM
Escondido, CA. Ron Podsiadly,...
Mopar Ron Offline
master
Mopar Ron  Offline
master

Dave, sorry you had to pass on the humpbacks,
if I had any cash flow I sure would buy them...
but this coupe will be so cool too.
I had a volare frontend under my 36 humpback and it rode and drove great, I also used a "B" body 3 3/4 rear end in it
that is a good set up for your coupe if its in right.

like was said above they are wider than a mustang II so you cant lower the car as much as some might like.

I wanted to get my humpback really low but the tire rubbed the fender slightly on tight turns and I had to settle on where it ended up, it worked out great in the long run.

the fenders on the coupe look saveable to me, if you can find other ones great but yours look workable to me.

like Gene said the dakota is a little wide also and might work with the right offset wheel.

I would make it work even if I had to widen the fenders a little

I have a 40 Ply sedan delivery project that I think will get a dakota chassis, if not I really like the Mustang II style front ends with tube "A" arms and 11" rotors

just a few thought and you will need to deiced which way to go on the coupe, good luck with the project. up cool

Re: Potential buy 39 Plymouth coupe/ I have questions and pics. [Re: Mopar Ron] #2107311
07/10/16 02:41 PM
07/10/16 02:41 PM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
Originally Posted By Mopar Ron
Dave, sorry you had to pass on the humpbacks,
if I had any cash flow I sure would buy them...
but this coupe will be so cool too.
I had a volare frontend under my 36 humpback and it rode and drove great, I also used a "B" body 3 3/4 rear end in it
that is a good set up for your coupe if its in right.

like was said above they are wider than a mustang II so you cant lower the car as much as some might like.

I wanted to get my humpback really low but the tire rubbed the fender slightly on tight turns and I had to settle on where it ended up, it worked out great in the long run.

the fenders on the coupe look saveable to me, if you can find other ones great but yours look workable to me.

like Gene said the dakota is a little wide also and might work with the right offset wheel.

I would make it work even if I had to widen the fenders a little

I have a 40 Ply sedan delivery project that I think will get a dakota chassis, if not I really like the Mustang II style front ends with tube "A" arms and 11" rotors

just a few thought and you will need to deiced which way to go on the coupe, good luck with the project. up cool

Hey Ron do you think my extra fender is a 39 or for something else? And how hard is it to widen the front fenders?

Dave

Re: Potential buy 39 Plymouth coupe/ I have questions and pics. [Re: RUMBLON] #2107647
07/11/16 12:49 AM
07/11/16 12:49 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Dave, you can add a piece of metal between the fender and the the filler piece that its bolted to, that is between the grill shell and the fender. You will have to modify the fender support, and if your doing running boards, they will also have to be modified. You could move the rear fenders out the same amount as the front, then the running boards would only need to be spaced straight out as well. Gene

Re: Potential buy 39 Plymouth coupe/ I have questions and pics. [Re: RUMBLON] #2108031
07/11/16 06:00 PM
07/11/16 06:00 PM
Mopar Ron Offline
master
Mopar Ron  Offline
master

Dave 36 through 39 all look similar ,I cant tell from a picture,
where they bolt to the body differs slightly as well as shape of the fender. Just have to try it...

as far as widening the fenders you can add a piece where the fender meets the shell and where the fender meets the cowl area.

you could draw a line about 1/2"-1" from the front of the fender to the rear at the cowl and put in a filler piece of metal 1,2 or 3" or what ever you need to cover the tires.

OR you could cut the fender down the middle(crown of the fender) from front to back and add the metal there, but remember you will need to do the same to the running boards.

it sounds hard but it really isn't that bad. Ron...

here is a comparison of fenders the gray one is a 39 it looks longer from the tire to the rear to me, yours looks more like a 36-37 to me...

Screen shot 2016-07-11 at 1.04.57 PM.png
Last edited by Mopar Ron; 07/11/16 06:09 PM.
Re: Potential buy 39 Plymouth coupe/ I have questions and pics. [Re: RUMBLON] #2117806
07/26/16 12:39 AM
07/26/16 12:39 AM
colorado
S
savoy64 Offline
top fuel
savoy64  Offline
top fuel
S

colorado
on some vehicles the volare sub frame has to have the frame notched out for the volare k memeber----my vote would be for a jaguar xj6 front and rear clip----it is about 3-4 inches more narrow than the volare---the front is held on by 4 bolts and the motor mount nuts---it is a rear steer rack so you have to pay attention to your oil pan configuration--down side it uses 4.75 lug spacing pattern---S10 wheels fit on but you need to increase the index hole slightly-----you can find a whole jaguar on the way to the crusher----you may have a hard time sourcing a volare on the way to the crusher....oh yeah--the jag rear end is a dana 44 and about half of them are limited slip.....