01/27/09 03:02 PM
01/27/09 03:02 PM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
Well, I thought I would ask. I am trying to dress up some standard garage cabinets and would like that they look like they are metal. I recently shot a door that leads from my small 1,000 shop to the larger shop. This door was a plastic coated door with glass center. It took the epoxy primer well and then the top coat was fine. Now in comparrison, my cabinets look like crap.

I have some large home made cabinets and some wood LOWES garage quality cabinets.

I am wondering if there is any sort of primer that I can use to coat the wood, then use some epoxy primer on top of that and then top coat or do you think that OMNI epoxy primer will stick to wood??? I am using some chrome diamond plate for the sides, which are rougher and am wondering if there is anything that will work to sprice these babies up????

any suggestions are appreciated. They are currently apinted red in a regular paint, BEAR Home depot brand paint.

Re: PAINTING WOOD TO LOOK LIKE METAL? ANY SUGGESTIONS? [Re: RUMBLON] #205918
01/27/09 03:14 PM
01/27/09 03:14 PM
C
car48nut Offline
mopar
car48nut  Offline
mopar
C

Use a good wood primer and then coat with latex paint. About three coats will make it look really smooth. Use a semi-gloss or even a gloss. Agood primer is Bins. It can be had at any hareware.

Re: PAINTING WOOD TO LOOK LIKE METAL? ANY SUGGESTIONS? [Re: RUMBLON] #205919
01/29/09 12:23 AM
01/29/09 12:23 AM
St Andrews ,Manitoba ,Canada
C
C38coupe Offline
C38coupe  Offline
C

St Andrews ,Manitoba ,Canada
Quote:

Well, I thought I would ask. I am trying to dress up some standard garage cabinets and would like that they look like they are metal. I recently shot a door that leads from my small 1,000 shop to the larger shop. This door was a plastic coated door with glass center. It took the epoxy primer well and then the top coat was fine. Now in comparrison, my cabinets look like crap.
I have some large home made cabinets and some wood LOWES garage quality cabinets.

I am wondering if there is any sort of primer that I can use to coat the wood, then use some epoxy primer on top of that and then top coat or do you think that OMNI epoxy primer will stick to wood??? I am using some chrome diamond plate for the sides, which are rougher and am wondering if there is anything that will work to sprice these babies up????

any suggestions are appreciated. They are currently apinted red in a regular paint, BEAR Home depot brand paint.

Prime the wood,with Rustoleum primer, block sand with 400, shoot on some high gloss Rustoleum enamel paint with hardner and reducer mixed in. Spray on 2 to 3 coats should come out real slick