01/31/16 07:21 PM
Georgia
S
skh Offline OP
skh  Offline OP
S

Georgia
My 1973 Charger's power window motor

* on the passenger side has given out (the window goes up and down freely with the motor stopped, thought the motor still makes noise when pressed up or down); and
* on the driver's side is moving very, very slow in both directions.

For those who have done this before, what's best approach:

1. Rebuild the existing units with new nylon gears
2. Get a pair of the new motors (different shape, without the bracket at the end that bolts to the inner door panel or
3. get a rebuilt set from Cardone?

Anyone have a template for drilling holes in the inner door panel sheetmetal to get to the motors without having to remove the entire regulator assembly?

Thanks Moparts!

Re: Mopar Power Window Motors [Re: skh] #2003297
02/01/16 12:20 PM
02/01/16 12:20 PM
Albany, NY
67SATisfaction Offline
The member whose name is actually Art
67SATisfaction  Offline
The member whose name is actually Art

Albany, NY
Not a quick and easy answer - and my knowledge comes from 67-and-earlier B-bodies, but I have a couple comments.

1.) You say the passenger side window slides up and down. That condition sounds like a gear is stripped, not a failed motor. My gear boxes have worm gears which would not allow the window to just slide if the motor failed. I trust you know enough to be sure the motor has failed, because you say the motor makes noise, but I just want you to double check that.
2.) The driver's side problem sounds more like a lubrication problem.

I don't know the best approach to getting the regulator(s) and motors out, but

- On my earlier cars it was not hard to get the motors out. They had two threaded rods and nuts holding them to a bracket with a rubber damper connecting the motor shafts to the regulator input.
- Getting the regulators, gear box and "arms" out was a whole nuther matter and I'm not surprised you wish to avoid messing with them (it's no joke when I say it was the biggest @#%$ PITA of my entire 6-year restoration when I had to remove, dismantle and refurbish all four of mine. And one of them is now skipping its gears, so I've got to get back in there. Oh my head).

Do you have an exploded view of the setup?
Cheers,
- Art

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle
Re: Mopar Power Window Motors [Re: skh] #2004031
02/02/16 11:44 AM
02/02/16 11:44 AM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
T

Niles , Ohio
My Ram chargers had PWs.I got a bunch from junkyard free as my buddy worked there.They were identical except for the plugs .Sopme the wires were reversed.All came from later 5th Aves.As for drilling holes I just kind of looked where the screws holding the motor was.Then used my hole saw to make a hole.Got them all real close.One thing if you remove the whole assembley to remove the motor clamp the gear.Had juts one flip on me and almost broke my hand.It was cut bad and I could not close it for a week.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: Mopar Power Window Motors [Re: skh] #2004317
02/02/16 07:13 PM
02/02/16 07:13 PM
northwest USA
N
NANKET Offline
master
NANKET  Offline
master
N

northwest USA
This is what your motors look like. You may be a able to take them apart, clean and degrease them, if they are not rusted up. Clean the brushes, springs, and armature. Then lube the moving parts and try it. Sounds like a broken gear in the one with the window,free to move. The description by Art seems like the earlier style motors.

You may be able to make a drilling template based off of this picture. Looking at the motor in the center. Bolt hole measuremeets from the center pin of the gear are: 1 5/8" for hole across from the phillips screw, 1 3/8" for holes next to the Phillips screw.

Remove the Phillips screw and cover, you will see the gears inside the housing.

image.jpg