09/17/15 01:49 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Originally Posted By XVracing
What's your credit card number, would be happy to!!!

CR

And you're going to give me a full refund when I send it back undamaged?

I have no B-body. In fact, I dare say my current subframe is more substantial than any of the B-body stuff but that's what you get with an Imperial.

If you make a good product and it performs better than the factory piece and any of the other guys then you would stand to profit from the test.

I planned on gathering the results, doing a comprehensive write-up and submitting it to the magazines.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: K frame strength [Re: feets] #1915315
09/18/15 10:24 PM
09/18/15 10:24 PM
NY
X
XVracing Offline
XVracing  Offline
X

NY
Originally Posted By feets

I have no B-body. In fact, I dare say my current subframe is more substantial than any of the B-body stuff but that's what you get with an Imperial.

If you make a good product and it performs better than the factory piece and any of the other guys then you would stand to profit from the test.

I planned on gathering the results, doing a comprehensive write-up and submitting it to the magazines.

Yes, with a 100% restocking fee.... smile

CR

Re: K frame strength [Re: XVracing] #1916706
09/21/15 02:03 PM
09/21/15 02:03 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX

CR

This leads to 1 of three initial thoughts.

1) Your company doesn't have enough inventory to take one off the shelf for a relatively short period of time.

2) Your company is in need of cash in a bad way.

3) Your company is not confident that it's product will compare favorably to the stock unit.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: K frame strength [Re: feets] #1916955
09/21/15 07:42 PM
09/21/15 07:42 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas

CR

1) Your company doesn't have enough inventory to take one off the shelf for a relatively short period of time.

3) Your company is not confident that it's product will compare favorably to the stock unit.

...not that I always agree with how he supports his claims, but in his defense I don't think many companies will just send parts out for any form of "in my garage destructive testing".

Your test could be skewed, if you know it or not, and negatively represent their product.

You could return that part, seemingly unscathed after trying to twist it, when it could actually be slightly deformed. Then what? He's out the part and can't do anything with it.

If it was returned with the same integrity as before but now has bumps and scratches on it from testing, it then has to be sent back out and recoated/fixed before reselling it.

I'm sure I could come up with a few other reasons why I wouldn't necessarily do this as a supplier, but I would likely be able to supply an alternative input to your test to consider.

Such as:

FEA and fatigue analysis that compare a stock K to the redesign before tooling.

In-house testing that was performed to make sure the new part met or exceeded the stock K-member in a variety of situations, engineering validation.

Claiming things "are better", or "were fixed" wouldn't fly in my field, we need numbers to backup most everything we do, or we didn't accomplish anything.

It always sounds like someone at XV at some point paid good money for excellent tests. Either the data was never passed down to back up the designs or they were just stuck on a rig for pretty pictures.twocents

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: K frame strength [Re: feets] #1916961
09/21/15 07:49 PM
09/21/15 07:49 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Goody, I went through that chain of thought too. My post was simply the first three things that went through my mind as I read his reply.

- Stu Harmon
Re: K frame strength [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1916963
09/21/15 07:50 PM
09/21/15 07:50 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda

Such as:

FEA and fatigue analysis that compare a stock K to the redesign before tooling.

In-house testing that was performed to make sure the new part met or exceeded the stock K-member in a variety of situations, engineering validation.

Claiming things "are better", or "were fixed" wouldn't fly in my field, we need numbers to backup most everything we do, or we didn't accomplish anything.

It always sounds like someone at XV at some point paid good money for excellent tests. Either the data was never passed down to back up the designs or they were just stuck on a rig for pretty pictures.twocents

Goody points out a lot of valid points, most of which, dare I say all, are not available from any aftermarket K member maker and most don't have it to share anyway because their parts were not professionally engineered.

I see many anecdotal bandwagoneers claiming "it handles like it's on rails" or, "I never had a problem with it". Both statements tell me they didn't have a problem because they wouldn't know what a problem was if it put them into the wall anyway.

You want to sell me an aftermarket K member your selling point had better be more than "it's lighter" or "more room". Neither of which is a selling point to a competently informed person looking for anything other than straight line handling a quarter mile at a time.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: K frame strength [Re: Supercuda] #1916980
09/21/15 08:19 PM
09/21/15 08:19 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
From 2006

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=3598&page=2

Quote:

When we bring the cars back for dialing in on four post, we have a shock dyno, a shock engineer and a set of rebuildable shocks on hand to try different combinations to optimize the setup based upon computer models derived from data collected on each run. Spring rates are also changed in this process. How precise is this - well it gets dialed in for the specific tires we are running as they each have different qualities in terms of stiffness and inherent spring rate. We also did this with ballast on board to simulate the driver and ballast to simulate different engine packages - i.e. big blocks.

The suspension development software used for modeling the geometry etc., is the same package the OE's use. I was shown demos of complete vehicles running on virtual road courses or slaloms courses, with the software learning to drive the vehicle better on each lap. That is used to validate the design as well as determine spring rates, sway bar sizes, base damping etc. We have also had them run models to ensure the components designed are strong enough for the intended application - for example our K-Member design was evaluated for impact and tearout loads for the lower control arms - and we will beat the crap out of it at the track during testing as well.
We also did full torsion tests on the car, before and after we made chassis stiffening components and this multiple times to optimize that as well. This is an evaluation of the torsional rigidity of the vehicle chassis itself.
The four post data and the torsion data gets compared against known performance vehicles so we can be sure we are in the target zone relative to the class of vehicles we want to be in with. 4-post tests were plotted against 250 production vehicles for comparison.
So, I will leave it to you to evaluate that process versus how others develop and test their products. I 'think' we are taking this to a level that has never been done before in the aftermarket, especially for cars of this vintage. If the guys who do all of this for a living really are amongst the best at what they do, I am pretty confident that our setup for these vehicles will be about as good as it can be, given the state of technology available today.

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

It sounds like at one point there was some information to share or at least be able to show some graphs, screen shots, something of what was accomplished. I'd guess this information didn't quite make it through the ownership change, quite a shame if that is what happened.

Companies would get a lot more of my money if they could say "look, look at our testing and validation. Our system will get you a 32% stiffer chassis than stock"or whatever the situation might be.

The market is either people that have the money to just by the most expensive parts that the next guy has, or the people who are chasing peak levels of performance for their hard earned dollar. The pretty pictures and aluminum parts will get the first bunch to bite, but it'll take more to hedge out the competition for the ones chasing attainable and validated performance gains.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: K frame strength [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1917083
09/21/15 10:57 PM
09/21/15 10:57 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
" 4-post tests were plotted against 250 production vehicles for comparison" XV

"It sounds like at one point there was some information to share or at least be able to show some graphs, screen shots, something of what was accomplished. I'd guess this information didn't quite make it through the ownership change"

I would not be so sure that info or a real comparison ever took place in the first place. I would first assume most client based testing labs need to have confidentially clauses, so where did the data come from for 250 similar? production vehicles?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: K frame strength [Re: feets] #1917087
09/21/15 11:01 PM
09/21/15 11:01 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia

CR

Since we don't yet know, we maybe can add and to be fair:

4) lack of faith in the testing process

5) No inherent benefit of obtaining/publishing any results

6/ Its personal

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: K frame strength [Re: feets] #1917127
09/21/15 11:51 PM
09/21/15 11:51 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Multimatic did the testing for the chassis stuff if I recall...maybe they still have what ever data was gotten from the testing ?

Re: K frame strength [Re: feets] #1917406
09/22/15 02:15 PM
09/22/15 02:15 PM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline
master
astjp2  Offline
master

Utah and Alaska
That info is probably proprietary and thusly not freely given. Many companies would have non-disclosure clauses so people could not duplicate it. Tim

1941 Taylorcraft
1968 Charger
1994 Wrangler
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!
Re: K frame strength [Re: astjp2] #1917433
09/22/15 02:46 PM
09/22/15 02:46 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Originally Posted By astjp2
That info is probably proprietary and thusly not freely given. Many companies would have non-disclosure clauses so people could not duplicate it. Tim

iagree

Someone paid dearly for that testing. And it's complete understandable and reasonable they would not give it away for free.

Re: K frame strength [Re: feets] #1917461
09/22/15 03:14 PM
09/22/15 03:14 PM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
No such thing as a free lunch, brother.

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

Re: K frame strength [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1917472
09/22/15 03:26 PM
09/22/15 03:26 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda
From 2006

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=3598&page=2

Quote:

We have also had them run models to ensure the components designed are strong enough for the intended application - for example our K-Member design was evaluated for impact and tearout loads for the lower control arms - and we will beat the crap out of it at the track during testing as well.
We also did full torsion tests on the car, before and after we made chassis stiffening components and this multiple times to optimize that as well. This is an evaluation of the torsional rigidity of the vehicle chassis itself.

I understand all of that.
Back when the info was first released I knew that someone had dumped a metric butt ton of money into developing a product with a very limited market. Good product or not, it was a business doomed to bankruptcy.

What I don't see on that is the very basic testing info. Change one piece at a time and see what you get. Changing more than one thing can give you misleading data.
As a package the products make for a nice chassis. What do they do alone?

- Stu Harmon
Re: K frame strength [Re: PHJ426] #1917475
09/22/15 03:29 PM
09/22/15 03:29 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Originally Posted By PHJ426
No such thing as a free lunch, brother.

shruggy

- Stu Harmon
Re: K frame strength [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1917501
09/22/15 04:17 PM
09/22/15 04:17 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
"We have also had them run models to ensure the components designed are strong enough for the intended application - for example our K-Member design was evaluated for impact and tearout loads for the lower control arms - and we will beat the crap out of it at the track during testing as well."

Its all coming back to me, this is the welded alum K member? Do I also remember ground smooth welds? If either or both conditions are true, unless excessively over designed, which was not apparent by posted pictures, the one unknown being material thickness, and it members were in the .375"+ thickness range, and all welds were full penetration, the K member would have a very limited fatigue life. I don't see how an aftermarket niche supplier could afford fatigue testing, and the only option with the top two conditions of welded alum/ground welds, would eventually lead to failure. It those decisions were made, I would question the expertise of every other design solution they offered very carefully. I have made this very point when it was being marketed. I would like to have a XV K in my hands to better understand its design, so some of the above is just conjecture. Bottom line, welded alum on a suspension is a big no no with continuously reversed loads in a non redundant critical design member. twocents

Re: K frame strength [Re: autoxcuda] #1917570
09/22/15 06:48 PM
09/22/15 06:48 PM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
Originally Posted By autoxcuda
Originally Posted By astjp2

iagree

Someone paid dearly for that testing. And it's complete understandable and reasonable they would not give it away for free.

Read above, then you should know

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

So either be happy or forge ahead aka,

Re: K frame strength [Re: jcc] #1917718
09/22/15 10:20 PM
09/22/15 10:20 PM
NY
X
XVracing Offline
XVracing  Offline
X

NY
Originally Posted By jcc
"We have also had them run models to ensure the components designed are strong enough for the intended application - for example our K-Member design was evaluated for impact and tearout loads for the lower control arms - and we will beat the crap out of it at the track during testing as well."

Its all coming back to me, this is the welded alum K member? Do I also remember ground smooth welds? If either or both conditions are true, unless excessively over designed, which was not apparent by posted pictures, the one unknown being material thickness, and it members were in the .375"+ thickness range, and all welds were full penetration, the K member would have a very limited fatigue life. I don't see how an aftermarket niche supplier could afford fatigue testing, and the only option with the top two conditions of welded alum/ground welds, would eventually lead to failure. It those decisions were made, I would question the expertise of every other design solution they offered very carefully. I have made this very point when it was being marketed. I would like to have a XV K in my hands to better understand its design, so some of the above is just conjecture. Bottom line, welded alum on a suspension is a big no no with continuously reversed loads in a non redundant critical design member. twocents

This is why I don't try and discuss these things in here, somebody with a google diploma always pops up smile

There's destructive testing, and non destructive testing... Everything that was produced was 3D modeled, which means they also ran testing on the models within the software.

If I had the time, (I don't) I could run a few tests on our K within Solidworks....

That and the fact that when you know what the load will be on a given part, and you know what the yield strength of the material is, you put in a factor of something like 1.5 times what you calculated as the yield for safety, and you come up with a the correct design.

This isn't the dark ages, there's very little trial and error these days...

And the main reason I don't give away parts to be tested is that because liabilities I couldn't resell it..

Couple that with the fact that the testing is not being done by a professional company noted for this type of testing, to me, the data would not be valid...

But, I would be happy to sell you a $2000 K frame and have it!!!!

CR

Last edited by XVracing; 09/22/15 10:31 PM.
Re: K frame strength [Re: feets] #1917821
09/23/15 12:41 AM
09/23/15 12:41 AM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
Can't argue with that, but hey this is.....Moparts.

Re: K frame strength [Re: XVracing] #1917960
09/23/15 11:39 AM
09/23/15 11:39 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted By jcc

This is why I don't try and discuss these things in here, somebody with a google diploma always pops up smile

There's destructive testing, and non destructive testing... Everything that was produced was 3D modeled, which means they also ran testing on the models within the software.

If I had the time, (I don't) I could run a few tests on our K within Solidworks....

That and the fact that when you know what the load will be on a given part, and you know what the yield strength of the material is, you put in a factor of something like 1.5 times what you calculated as the yield for safety, and you come up with a the correct design.

This isn't the dark ages, there's very little trial and error these days...

And the main reason I don't give away parts to be tested is that because liabilities I couldn't resell it..

Couple that with the fact that the testing is not being done by a professional company noted for this type of testing, to me, the data would not be valid...

But, I would be happy to sell you a $2000 K frame and have it!!!!

CR

1. Google diploma? Really?
2. I'm pretty sure my entire above reply was focused on the fatigue life of welded alum members, I don't see that you addressed that point one iota. Typical response, go after the messenger instead of the message.
3. Anyone who doesn't understand alum welded highly loaded structures have a finite life span, should stay away from cars & airplanes.
4. The problem with "professional" testing, they are getting paid to gather a positive/expected result for those signing the check, and they usually do, and if not, the tests aren't released/published. Testing methods can help achieve that goal.
5. "feets" implies I don't google enough, you suggest too much. tough crowd. rolleyes

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7