05/13/15 10:05 AM
05/13/15 10:05 AM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline OP
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline OP
I Live Here

the boonies
I had some trouble with the window sticking as I rolled it up so I bought a window kit and replaced all the sliders and H blocks etc.

I installed the window and got it all adjust and it worked great- so I thought.
Several weeks after I finished I was sitting in the shop when the glass just exploded. I guess I tightened the nuts that hold the glass to the track too tight.

So whats the secret to replacing the glass without breaking it? I just ordered a new piece and want to make sure I dont grenade this next one.

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
Re: Need to replace the door glass in my AAR [Re: aarcuda] #1825634
05/13/15 12:17 PM
05/13/15 12:17 PM
Eugene, Oregon
M
minivan Offline
master
minivan  Offline
master
M

Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted By aarcuda

I installed the window and got it all adjust and it worked great- so I thought.
Several weeks after I finished I was sitting in the shop when the glass just exploded. I guess I tightened the nuts that hold the glass to the track too tight.

So whats the secret to replacing the glass without breaking it? I just ordered a new piece and want to make sure I dont grenade this next one.

Yes you tightened it too much... Just "snug" up the nuts while using some blue or green Loctite..

When I was doing Auto glass work ( in the 70's) some cars starting coming with the glass brackets riveted to the glass.. AT first ( before we acquired the correct rivet gun) we would reinstall with nuts and bolts.. Learned the hard way not to overtighten...

I do not know if this model came originally with rivets?? If so take it to an auto glass shop and have them rivet the brackets to the glass with their glass riveter..

Last edited by minivan; 05/13/15 12:21 PM.
Re: Need to replace the door glass in my AAR [Re: aarcuda] #1825763
05/13/15 02:14 PM
05/13/15 02:14 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
I've had that happen in the past on E bodies, it could be a combo of too tight on the glass mounting studs, or a bind on the glass in the track, the window might be adjusted too high on the glass stops, and when the door is closed the upper weather strip is loading the glass, plus when you disturb the "set" the glass has "enjoyed" for years in the tracks, and against the mouldings/seals, you put new stress/loads on it, and it doesn't take much for it to pop!

Re: Need to replace the door glass in my AAR [Re: aarcuda] #1826184
05/13/15 11:00 PM
05/13/15 11:00 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline OP
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline OP
I Live Here

the boonies
thanks. The funniest thing is that it didnt break until a few weeks later when i was in the shop. it was under a car cover and i just heard it go blam! and tinkle tinkle tinkle as the glass fell out

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.