Fredericksburg Va
P
plycuda Offline
mopar
plycuda  Offline
mopar
P

Fredericksburg Va
if you have antique tags there is no inspection here. so if I decide to go for a ride in my junk predator head 14 to 1 900 inch lift cam with 2 foggers I can because I have tags and insurance and all lights and windows. If your out for a ride I guess your slow real street car will get mopped

Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: plycuda] #1778745
03/14/15 10:30 PM
03/14/15 10:30 PM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Im old school and know the True definition of a Street car.

Its a car that you would normally drive to work, vacation, shopping, or sunday drive. A lot of factory produced performance cars can be considered street cars as well. Mustang GT 500,s to even the hellcat challenger.

Why, they can drive like normal docile "street cars" like they were intended to do.
Without detuning.

Now whats Not a street car, are the highly modified, high compression, race gas, blown, nitrous fed, high stall vert etc modified combos.

That just because, you put mufflers on them and a get a tag for them makes them a Street car.

They are not! They are Simply, Race cars driven on the street. Period

Tags and Muffs, Do no not =Equal a street car on a Race car driven on the street.

I don't fool myself, I know the difference. Even my slow ride, is not Truly a Street car anymore.

Nor do I feel the need to Convince others that it is a street car because I can tag it and drive it on the street.

Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1778746
03/14/15 10:41 PM
03/14/15 10:41 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

So gdonovan, are you telling that if I live in your state, I can't tag a sand rail type rig, or a T-bucket, an older classic, street rod, or some other such vehicle because it doesn't have a defroster..........ummm, OK.

Depends- I can tell you for sure if you show up with a sand rail you will be pulled over, ticketed and the vehicle towed. Happened several years ago to a buddy of mine who towed it up from Arkansas.

Was bizarre riding around in the thing watching the road going by under the "floor" which was just mesh decking.

The police were NOT amused, they did not give a toot it was plated out of state. They made it abundantly clear if it was seen on the road again there was a pair of bracelets in someones future.

Hey I have been peened by other states laws. I was in MASS and got pulled over by a state trooper on the interstate and had to abandon my tow dolly.

No plates required in CT, they are in MASS. I snuck back under cover of darkness and dragged it home.

T-buckets may fall under antique plates since I'm assuming they are 30's vintage.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: gdonovan] #1778747
03/15/15 12:16 AM
03/15/15 12:16 AM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
My take is as long as it passes a state safety inspection and ANYBODY can get in and dive it 100 miles then it's a street car. That being said my car wouldn't meet my standard criteria
I've had to teach people how to shift a V-gate with face-plate non-syncronized gears My heater valve started leaking on the gas pedal so out went the heater til I get the valve fixed.

I still think it's a street car that runs tens on pump gas

Gus

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: fourgearsavoy] #1778748
03/15/15 12:37 AM
03/15/15 12:37 AM
Fredericksburg Va
P
plycuda Offline
mopar
plycuda  Offline
mopar
P

Fredericksburg Va
if it doesn't have a 8 3/4 and a six pack scoop I don't consider it a real street car either

Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: fourgearsavoy] #1778749
03/15/15 12:42 AM
03/15/15 12:42 AM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Quote:

My take is as long as it passes a state safety inspection and ANYBODY can get in and drive it 100 miles then it's a street car.
Gus

If you cant toss the keys to "ANYBODY" granny/ grampa/father/mom or your kid to run down the street for whatever.

Its Not a street car

Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: Sport440] #1778750
03/15/15 01:00 AM
03/15/15 01:00 AM
Mt. Eden Ky.
Hemi Allstate Offline
master
Hemi Allstate  Offline
master

Mt. Eden Ky.
Quote:

Quote:

My take is as long as it passes a state safety inspection and ANYBODY can get in and drive it 100 miles then it's a street car.
Gus

If you cant toss the keys to "ANYBODY" granny/ grampa/father/mom or your kid to run down the street for whatever.

Its Not a street car

I don't think I would toss the keys to a Hell Cat to just anyone, and that is probably a pretty well accepted example of a "street car"!

Mark

1996 Ram 1500 Sport
1968 road runner
1952 Sears Allstate licensed, pump gas, Hemi 5.98 @ 115.73 1.33 60 ft. The best is yet to come. Painless Performance / Street RODDER magazine Top 100 for 2019
Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1778751
03/15/15 01:43 AM
03/15/15 01:43 AM
toronto
6PAK70CUDA Offline
mopar
6PAK70CUDA  Offline
mopar

toronto
Quote:

Quote:

Ha I was thinking more like some jerry cans. I consider street driving as just that. Not extended highway trips.

The guys on DW that were hauling fuel(for what ever
reason) were hauling drums but we had to travel maybe
400 miles in a day and they had enough for a week

Doesn't Sunoco still sell CAM 2 112 at certain stations at the pump? I remember filling up at the Nats in Columbus years ago.

Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: 6PAK70CUDA] #1778752
03/15/15 01:50 AM
03/15/15 01:50 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ha I was thinking more like some jerry cans. I consider street driving as just that. Not extended highway trips.

The guys on DW that were hauling fuel(for what ever
reason) were hauling drums but we had to travel maybe
400 miles in a day and they had enough for a week

Doesn't Sunoco still sell CAM 2 112 at certain stations at the pump? I remember filling up at the Nats in Columbus years ago.

To me its what you can find at any station.. not just
1 or 2... I didnt make my Rampage run on E-85 because
its not found out west.. and I had my E-85 carb sitting
here .. plenty of station in my area with E-85 but
I knew I wouldnt be on DW in my back yard

Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1778753
03/15/15 03:11 AM
03/15/15 03:11 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Ok I figured out the biggest thing that makes a car a street car. It has to start with a key like mine does ! So I know mine is a street car. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 03/15/15 03:12 AM.
Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: plycuda] #1778754
03/15/15 03:35 AM
03/15/15 03:35 AM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Quote:

if you have antique tags there is no inspection here. so if I decide to go for a ride in my junk predator head 14 to 1 900 inch lift cam with 2 foggers I can because I have tags and insurance and all lights and windows. If your out for a ride I guess your slow real street car will get mopped

This be fish killer, did you fix the front end wiggle? I hear Ray bought your Charger.

Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: gdonovan] #1778755
03/15/15 10:30 AM
03/15/15 10:30 AM
canaan ct usa
M
moparclown Offline
top fuel
moparclown  Offline
top fuel
M

canaan ct usa
Quote:

Quote:

What about cars that didn't have heat from the factory?

I know now some states its mandatory, your state may or may not. Last time I got an inspection several years ago they did check.

Never heard a thing about heat/defroster being needed here in CT.
I do VIN verifications on cars all the time that come here from other states and have never had that on the checklist?

Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: moparclown] #1778756
03/15/15 11:47 AM
03/15/15 11:47 AM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
My definition,

Can be driven on the street and has the paperwork to do so. Can drive near law enforcement without sweating too bad LOL.

I have done three drag weeks and I am amazed at what cops don't care about. Non DOT tires, no exhaust system, fender exit headers, LOUD....none of it seems to stir up much trouble. I would love to be a fly on the wall in some of these small towns when these cars roll through, especially late at night.

Example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv-ahRGwsOw

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: moparclown] #1778757
03/15/15 11:55 AM
03/15/15 11:55 AM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

Never heard a thing about heat/defroster being needed here in CT. I do VIN verifications on cars all the time that come here from other states and have never had that on the checklist?

When DMV was doing the inspections it was something that was done all the time. Ive had dozens of vehicles inspected by DMV over the years, usually in New London when they were open and then Norwich later. The inspector would ask for the blower to be turned on, feel for airflow and move on.

Here it is noted as having to be checked if a vehicle is taken to the main office for inspection for salvage title-

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/b-256.pdf

Here it is noted for commercial vehicle inspection-

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/R-361.pdf

From the CT DMV page-

Sec. 14-275a-39. Defrosters

(a) Defrosting and defogging equipment shall direct a sufficient flow of heated air onto the windshield, the window to the left of the driver and the glass in the viewing area directly to the right of the driver to eliminate frost, fog and snow.

(b) The defrosting system shall conform to SAE J381 and SAE J382.

(c) The defroster and defogging system shall be capable of furnishing heated, outside ambient air, except that the part of the system furnishing additional air to the windshield, entrance door and step well may be of the re-circulating air type.

(d) Auxiliary fans are not considered defrosting or defogging systems.

(e) Portable heaters shall not be utilized.

Maybe they let it slide now that "inspections" are being done by outside contractors, I don't know. When we were sending cars up for used car inspection at the dealer level to Norwich (2002-2005) it was also something that was checked at the time at the Norwich office.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: gdonovan] #1778758
03/15/15 12:16 PM
03/15/15 12:16 PM
canaan ct usa
M
moparclown Offline
top fuel
moparclown  Offline
top fuel
M

canaan ct usa
Quote:

Quote:

Never heard a thing about heat/defroster being needed here in CT. I do VIN verifications on cars all the time that come here from other states and have never had that on the checklist?

When DMV was doing the inspections it was something that was done all the time. Ive had dozens of vehicles inspected by DMV over the years, usually in New London when they were open and then Norwich later. The inspector would ask for the blower to be turned on, feel for airflow and move on.

Here it is noted as having to be checked if a vehicle is taken to the main office for inspection for salvage title-

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/b-256.pdf

Here it is noted for commercial vehicle inspection-

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/R-361.pdf

From the CT DMV page-

Sec. 14-275a-39. Defrosters

(a) Defrosting and defogging equipment shall direct a sufficient flow of heated air onto the windshield, the window to the left of the driver and the glass in the viewing area directly to the right of the driver to eliminate frost, fog and snow.

(b) The defrosting system shall conform to SAE J381 and SAE J382.

(c) The defroster and defogging system shall be capable of furnishing heated, outside ambient air, except that the part of the system furnishing additional air to the windshield, entrance door and step well may be of the re-circulating air type.

(d) Auxiliary fans are not considered defrosting or defogging systems.

(e) Portable heaters shall not be utilized.

Maybe they let it slide now that "inspections" are being done by outside contractors, I don't know. When we were sending cars up for used car inspection at the dealer level to Norwich (2002-2005) it was also something that was checked at the time at the Norwich office.

A lot has changed but still that is good info as I find myself defending myself quite often as they have 3 cameras watching and listening

Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: moparclown] #1778759
03/15/15 12:36 PM
03/15/15 12:36 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

A lot has changed but still that is good info as I find myself defending myself quite often as they have 3 cameras watching and listening

DMV in CT has some of the most inept people on the states payroll.

My buddy just purchased a new Ram van for his business out of state and went to the DMV to get it plated. The idiot and supervisor insisted behind the counter he had to pay the taxes on the $4500 rebate and would not let him get it plated unless he did so.

So he coughs up an extra $300 bucks and heads home.

The next morning he is back with a print out from the states own dept of revenue services website indicating DMV is wrong. The supervisor tells him "oh so sorry we can't give you your money back that was yesterdays business and you will have to file for a refund" and wait 5 weeks.

WTF.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: gdonovan] #1778760
03/15/15 01:14 PM
03/15/15 01:14 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

So gdonovan, are you telling that if I live in your state, I can't tag a sand rail type rig, or a T-bucket, an older classic, street rod, or some other such vehicle because it doesn't have a defroster..........ummm, OK.

Depends- I can tell you for sure if you show up with a sand rail you will be pulled over, ticketed and the vehicle towed. Happened several years ago to a buddy of mine who towed it up from Arkansas.

Was bizarre riding around in the thing watching the road going by under the "floor" which was just mesh decking.

The police were NOT amused, they did not give a toot it was plated out of state. They made it abundantly clear if it was seen on the road again there was a pair of bracelets in someones future.

Hey I have been peened by other states laws. I was in MASS and got pulled over by a state trooper on the interstate and had to abandon my tow dolly.

No plates required in CT, they are in MASS. I snuck back under cover of darkness and dragged it home.

T-buckets may fall under antique plates since I'm assuming they are 30's vintage.

I would have likely gone to jail then. Because I am NOT the type, that "because I say so" is a good enough answer for me. I would want specifics as to WHY the vehicle was not legal. I would imagine if you had a Baja Bug, with clipped fenders, exposed motor, no bumpers etc, that would likely be fine, yet the sand rail isn't. I would want to know WHY..........Don't sound like CT is the place for me............LOL!!!

Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: Sport440] #1778761
03/15/15 01:40 PM
03/15/15 01:40 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Gus

Its Not a street car

Nope, that don't work either. I can toss the keys for my dually to my girlfriend and she would toss them right back, because she can't drive a straight shift............LOL!!! Also, the first time she drove my Mercedes, she didn't know how to start it. So having to "show" somebody how to drive something is no deal breaker. Bet several on here can't drive my 60s vintage, twin stick Mack without some instruction.........LOL!!!

Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1778762
03/15/15 01:44 PM
03/15/15 01:44 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

I would have likely gone to jail then. Because I am NOT the type, that "because I say so" is a good enough answer for me. I would want specifics as to WHY the vehicle was not legal. I would imagine if you had a Baja Bug, with clipped fenders, exposed motor, no bumpers etc, that would likely be fine, yet the sand rail isn't. I would want to know WHY..........Don't sound like CT is the place for me............LOL!!!

No fenders and exposed engine were just two of the issues.

It was a SAND RAIL that had been plated out of state very much like the one in the picture attached except with a VW air cooled engine.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: What the hell is a "Street car" ??? [Re: gdonovan] #1778763
03/15/15 01:45 PM
03/15/15 01:45 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
And BTW? Arguing with the police on the side of the road is rarely productive in my experience, usually just the opposite.

"I think its got a hemi"
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11