02/10/15 01:20 AM
02/10/15 01:20 AM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
I know this has been covered dozens of times, but I just want to make ABSOLUTELY sure I have this right. I'm going to upgrade my '70 Dart to a Denso 90 amp alternator. If I run a 6 gauge wire with a fusible link directly to the starter relay stud then I am effectively bypassing the bulk head connector and the ammeter, right? I don't have to do any other mods to avoid a potential meltdown, do I?

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Re: Alternator upgrade wiring question [Re: MadMatt] #1750641
02/10/15 01:39 AM
02/10/15 01:39 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

I know this has been covered dozens of times, If I run a 6 gauge wire with a fusible link directly to the starter relay stud then I am effectively bypassing the bulk head connector and the ammeter, right? I don't have to do any other mods to avoid a potential meltdown, do I?

(1) repeat all you want, it's free no limits & people can ignore what they are already familiar with/have no interest in. (2) yes you are bypassing the bulkhead (for the most part) and bypassing the ammeter (3) relay add ons (main power for add ons) from the starter relay stud. #1 clean/tight/adequate gauge terminals/wire everywhere (as needed). wouldn't hurt to go further & relay the headlites/heater/ac to the SR stud also

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Alternator upgrade wiring question [Re: RapidRobert] #1750642
02/10/15 01:43 AM
02/10/15 01:43 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
No other mods required to prevent meltdown. Voltmeter needs to be added to a switched circuit to monitor system condition. This is exactly what I did on my car and works great.

Re: Alternator upgrade wiring question [Re: RapidRobert] #1750643
02/10/15 01:55 AM
02/10/15 01:55 AM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID

(1) repeat all you want, it's free no limits & people can ignore what they are already familiar with/have no interest in. (2) yes you are bypassing the bulkhead (for the most part) and bypassing the ammeter (3) relay add ons (main power for add ons) from the starter relay stud. #1 clean/tight/adequate gauge terminals/wire everywhere (as needed). wouldn't hurt to go further & relay the headlites/heater/ac to the SR stud also

Thanks for the reassurance. I love my car and don't want to see

I'm going to relays on the headlamps, I already have the harness built. I also have a relay on the electric fuel pump. I never really thought about relays for the heater and AC. I've upgraded the AC compressor to a Sanden unit. I guess I would just route the existing "trigger" wire from the compressor clutch to a relay and route power from the stud to the relay? I'm not sure it would be worth the effort to dig into the wiring harness to relay the blower motor. I don't imagine it pulls much current, but maybe I'm wrong. Any idea what kind of power it draws?

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Re: Alternator upgrade wiring question [Re: ahy] #1750644
02/10/15 10:06 AM
02/10/15 10:06 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

No other mods required to prevent meltdown. Voltmeter needs to be added to a switched circuit to monitor system condition. This is exactly what I did on my car and works great.

I wouldn't say that.

Why are you upgrading to a 90A alternator? To charge the battery faster? Cause that is the only load that doesn't go thru the bulkhead connector.

You still need to feed the fusebox thru the bulkhead connector.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Alternator upgrade wiring question [Re: MadMatt] #1750645
02/10/15 02:24 PM
02/10/15 02:24 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

I'm going to relays on the headlamps, I already have the harness built. I also have a relay on the electric fuel pump. I never really thought about relays for the heater and AC. I've upgraded the AC compressor to a Sanden unit. I guess I would just route the existing "trigger" wire from the compressor clutch to a relay and route power from the stud to the relay? I'm not sure it would be worth the effort to dig into the wiring harness to relay the blower motor.

Yes on the AC question. I'd say you are good on the amt of draws you have relayed & you have less going thru than OE (you're doing the headlights). What I (just me) would additionally do is run the 2 main in/out power wires in the bulkhead straight thru rather than the OE brass terminals (Nachos' bulkhead parallel bypass). Not sure what you need for fused protection. I think you're good.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Alternator upgrade wiring question [Re: Supercuda] #1750646
02/12/15 05:39 PM
02/12/15 05:39 PM
Montana
D
DDodger Offline
DDodger  Offline
D

Montana
Quote:

You still need to feed the fusebox thru the bulkhead connector.

EXACTLY RIGHT if your bulkhead connector is AFU you still need a good path for current to feed the car systems. yes, you have taken a big load off by bypassing, but you still need to pay 'tenntion to the connector terminals.........or eliminate them

google up on what the factory called "fleet wiring." (taxi police) it is sort of documented in some of the service manuals