01/05/15 12:38 PM
01/05/15 12:38 PM
Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
gregsdart Offline OP
master
gregsdart  Offline OP
master

Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
I have had great success running a rear battery and using the cage for a ground for the most part. I ground the heads AND block to the frame, use two 3/8 bolts welded to the frame, one for the electronics and one for the starter circuit.
My question is, for my street dart there is no cage, and I am moving the battery to the back. I am looking for a good way to ground the battery and thought that the same system would work, provided the ground connections are big enough (bolt welded all around the head?)to not create resistance at those points. I would drill a hole in the floor at the subframe area and weld it to the sub. The car has frame connectors. Input?

Last edited by gregsdart; 01/05/15 12:39 PM.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: gregsdart] #1722012
01/05/15 12:45 PM
01/05/15 12:45 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

I have had great success running a rear battery and using the cage for a ground for the most part. I ground the heads AND block to the frame, use two 3/8 bolts welded to the frame, one for the electronics and one for the starter circuit.
My question is, for my street dart there is no cage, and I am moving the battery to the back. I am looking for a good way to ground the battery and thought that the same system would work, provided the ground connections are big enough (bolt welded all around the head?)to not create resistance at those points. I would drill a hole in the floor at the subframe area and weld it to the sub. The car has frame connectors. Input?

Since electricity travels on the exterior of the wire
(and the cage tubing) the cage isnt the best... so they
say.. I have never had any issue doing the same thing
on the cage as you.. and thats the way I set up my
Rampage.. I will tell you how the EFI likes that
ground system.. but I have no doubt its fine

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: gregsdart] #1722013
01/05/15 12:46 PM
01/05/15 12:46 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
I have zero issues and 14.7 volts at the hit and running w/my batt. grounds bolted to rear bumper bolts. I have several grounds from engine to firewall, frame etc. I like your ideas though for a cleaner look but mines all hidden anyhow.

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: gregsdart] #1722014
01/05/15 01:03 PM
01/05/15 01:03 PM
Mt Morris Michigan
mopar dave Offline
master
mopar dave  Offline
master

Mt Morris Michigan
I had my trunk mounted battery grounded to the frame right under the battery for years. worked great,no issues. had one of the major ignition box company's tell to ground everything to engine block. so I did using 1ga. multi strand welding cable. now my starter sounds like it labors abit when I first hit the button. i'd ground it as close to the bat. as possible.

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: gregsdart] #1722015
01/05/15 01:05 PM
01/05/15 01:05 PM
Glendora Ca.
J
Just-a-dart Offline
pro stock
Just-a-dart  Offline
pro stock
J

Glendora Ca.
The last couple of timesI have done this I used a lug with 2 bolts on a small plate with 2 taped holes welded to the frame rail. Put a dab of grease under the lug. http://www.grainger.com/product/BURNDY-C..._AW01?$smthumb$

"Just a Bracket car dressed up like a streetcar"
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Just-a-dart] #1722016
01/05/15 02:00 PM
01/05/15 02:00 PM
Puyallup, WA
S
StealthWedge67 Offline
master
StealthWedge67  Offline
master
S

Puyallup, WA
I've had great success with my setup thus far: 2g ground cable through the trunk floor, and bolted to the frame rail; then a 4g cable from that same spot forward, bolted to the head, and a simple ground strap from that spot back to the firewall.

LemonWedge - Street heavy / Strip ready - 11.07 @ 120
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: StealthWedge67] #1722017
01/05/15 02:16 PM
01/05/15 02:16 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

I run my ground to the front where my electronics are. ground issues can kill you. I don't think you will find any makers of electronics telling you to use a roll bar or frame as a ground. and yes I have seen people doing it for years. I just choose to do it right..

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Quicktree] #1722018
01/05/15 02:20 PM
01/05/15 02:20 PM
Rogue River, OR
Jeremiah Offline
master
Jeremiah  Offline
master

Rogue River, OR
I have done it both ways. My red Charger has been running around on the street for ten years with the battery grounded to the rear frame rail. MSD7AL, two step, etc. all function flawlessly.

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: gregsdart] #1722019
01/05/15 02:29 PM
01/05/15 02:29 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Directly to the frame is ALWAYS your best bet - for grounding everything. Least # of attaching points for the starter / alternator. Next best is something that is welded to the frame. Worst is something that is bolted to the frame. Doing voltage drop tests are always in order when doing / checking grounds.

Fastest 300
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Crizila] #1722020
01/05/15 02:59 PM
01/05/15 02:59 PM
St. Paul , Mn.
tubtar Offline
master
tubtar  Offline
master

St. Paul , Mn.
I welded a 3/8" bolt to the rear frame rail.......works like a champ.
Multiple grounds from starter and engine block to frame.

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: gregsdart] #1722021
01/05/15 03:08 PM
01/05/15 03:08 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I used two #2 ground straps off of the battery in my Duster, one went to the stock hole in the wheelwell flange on the passenger side and the other went to one of the bolts Thumper is using I have drilled through the trunk floor through the sub frame flanged with one ground strap and had issues with the starter laboring on the hit when the motor was warm, ended up melting the battery post lugs and the lead clamps on the cables I do use multiple grounds off of the block to the front sub frames also

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Crizila] #1722022
01/05/15 03:18 PM
01/05/15 03:18 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Directly to the frame is ALWAYS your best bet - for grounding everything. Least # of attaching points for the starter / alternator. Next best is something that is welded to the frame. Worst is something that is bolted to the frame. Doing voltage drop tests are always in order when doing / checking grounds.

Not close to correct...........in fact that is the WORST way to wire a ground system. Just because people do it all the time and it is passable, does not make it right. Work with a lot of EFI cars as I do and you will quickly find the flaws in this type system. Your frame or sheetmetal is a TERRIBLE conductor.

What I do on all the EFI and actually everything I wire now, is a "floating" ground system. I attach a copper bus bar on rubber isolators under the dash. I run the cable from battery to bus bar and run all high draw grounds to this bar, such as ignition, pumps, fans, etc. I also tie both heads together and run a ground wire to bus bar as well. The ONLY thing I ground to the actual chassis or sheetmetal is the lights

Monte

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1722023
01/05/15 04:06 PM
01/05/15 04:06 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Not close to correct...........in fact that is the WORST way to wire a ground system. Just because people do it all the time and it is passable, does not make it right. Work with a lot of EFI cars as I do and you will quickly find the flaws in this type system. Your frame or sheetmetal is a TERRIBLE conductor.

What I do on all the EFI and actually everything I wire now, is a "floating" ground system. I attach a copper bus bar on rubber isolators under the dash. I run the cable from battery to bus bar and run all high draw grounds to this bar, such as ignition, pumps, fans, etc. I also tie both heads together and run a ground wire to bus bar as well. The ONLY thing I ground to the actual chassis or sheetmetal is the lights

Monte

this is they way I did it back in the day and it still functions correctly, I had run the main ground from the battery to the frame then ran a 08 ground wire to the buss and ran all my grounds to that,,engine,electronics etc.

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1722024
01/05/15 07:16 PM
01/05/15 07:16 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

Monte

but the individual circuit voltage loss between the 2 systems is negligible, and just not practical in most instance's. Use the frame or 1000 feet of wire? I could see it for some "highly sensitive" circuits, but to run a fan, water pump, or a fuel pump, etc., not needed.

Fastest 300
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1722025
01/05/15 07:21 PM
01/05/15 07:21 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

exactly, thats the way I do them also

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Crizila] #1722026
01/05/15 07:22 PM
01/05/15 07:22 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

but the individual circuit voltage loss between the 2 systems is negligible, and just not practical in most instance's. Use the frame or 1000 feet of wire? I could see it for some "highly sensitive" circuits, but to run a fan, water pump, or a fuel pump, etc., not needed.

not really but you can do it that way if you like.

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1722027
01/05/15 08:37 PM
01/05/15 08:37 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Lets look at a new Charger or Challenger. Battery in the trunk, tons of components that are Can Bus based. Cars are even sent to the lab to check for radio and magnetic interference. Guess where the ground connects? Frame rail next to the battery. What do you think?
Doug

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: dvw] #1722028
01/05/15 09:36 PM
01/05/15 09:36 PM
Queensland
N
NOM36 Offline
NOM36  Offline
N

Queensland
My race car had a ground to frame and the previous 3 engines (6 cyl, Sml block, Big Block) were all fine. Forth engine (500ci BB on alcohol had an ever so slight miss. Grounded heads and block to separate cable back to battery and ran clean as after that.

I didn't believe it to start with, but I do now.

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: NOM36] #1722029
01/05/15 10:08 PM
01/05/15 10:08 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

I was imagining a solid copper bus bar from front bumper to rear.

The statement that current runs on the outside of the conductor is partially true, the least true for DC. When the current starts to alternate it moves to the outside of the conductor, the faster the current alternates the more it bunches up at the outside. It's called the "skin effect".

R.

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: dvw] #1722030
01/05/15 10:50 PM
01/05/15 10:50 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Lets look at a new Charger or Challenger. Battery in the trunk, tons of components that are Can Bus based. Cars are even sent to the lab to check for radio and magnetic interference. Guess where the ground connects? Frame rail next to the battery. What do you think?
Doug

Frame has high copper content.

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9