R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

I did replace the start relay and shorted the two posts. All I got was some sparking. No engine cranking. Guess I should have the battery tested

Healthy amt of sparks? (1) starter (solenoid) is bad (very likely) (2) eng froze (not likely), put a 1&1/4" socket/breaker bar/short extension on the crank bolt & you'll know in seconds. (3) your batt is fine

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Turned the key and nothing? [Re: sbcjd] #1708755
12/10/14 10:52 PM
12/10/14 10:52 PM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
My money is on connector that ties ignition switch wiring as it exits column to dash wiring harness loom. Simple to check out at with a test light at starter relay as ignition switch Is turned to 'start' position. There are 6 main wires in this connector,,,one of which feeds current from ignition switch to starter at the underhood relay.

Male pins or female receptacles often lose their required snug fit at this connector.

Remote possibility that ignition switch itself is bad.

Can also test by running jumper wire from battery positive to the wire tab at relay that sends signal to starter solenoid. If cranks, either above connector is bad or firewall connector is.

If no crank, is solenoid or starter itself.

Doubt very much that a defective battery would cause zero starter response if headlights illuminate ok.

Re: Turned the key and nothing? [Re: RapidRobert] #1708756
12/11/14 02:55 AM
12/11/14 02:55 AM
california
S
sbcjd Offline OP
mopar
sbcjd  Offline OP
mopar
S

california
It was a very weak spark. I will pull the starter out and have it bench tested. The last time I did that the starter bench tested OK but did not turn the engine when i reinstalled it. So I bought a new one and that solved the problem. I do not like doing the work twice. I am a little skeptical of auto stores saying the part tests OK then It does not work in the car. The battery obviously is a easy out and in deal.

Re: Turned the key and nothing? [Re: sbcjd] #1708757
12/11/14 03:13 AM
12/11/14 03:13 AM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
If your going to replace the starter go with a mini. Easier to work with and turns over faster and stronger.

Re: Turned the key and nothing? [Re: sbcjd] #1708758
12/11/14 03:25 AM
12/11/14 03:25 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

I will pull the starter out and have it bench tested. I do not like doing the work twice.

How about this. Set a known good batt on the ground next to the Dr front wheel & with jumper cables connect the starter to the batt: with a red cable end clamp both starter terminals together then the other red end to batt positive post (as you know/not being patronizing but just going step by step) then one black end to starter/block case then final connection: other black end to batt neg post (keeps the sparks outside where you can control/manage it) & see if the starter cranks. Not likely eng is froze but grab a socket/breaker bar & elim that in 1 minute

Re: Turned the key and nothing? [Re: RapidRobert] #1708759
12/11/14 02:39 PM
12/11/14 02:39 PM
california
S
sbcjd Offline OP
mopar
sbcjd  Offline OP
mopar
S

california
If i had an extra known good battery I would have put that one in the car and try starting it. I did put a socket and breaker bar on the crank bolt and the engine does move freely. This morning I went out and tried to turn the head lights on and nothing. The dome light does work. I put the battery charger back on and it is now recharging. Seems the battery is loosing its charge over night. I am going to take the battery back to Sam's Club and have them load test it. The battery still has a couple of years pro rated warranty. I will probably buy a new battery and eliminate one of the variables. The starter looks new and I checked my records and I only have about 100 miles on the starter in the last 4 years. Sorry for the long blog.

Re: Turned the key and nothing? [Re: sbcjd] #1708760
12/11/14 06:47 PM
12/11/14 06:47 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Seems the battery is loosing its charge over night. I am going to take the battery back to Sam's Club and have them load test it. Sorry for the long blog.

(1) As you're doing slo charge it till it's up which it has to be for a valid load test & maybe they can test it for you on the spot rather than you having to make a return trip if they had to charge it. (2) After dark with doors shut/everything off with that or another battery in there, take off a batt cable & see if you see a spark & if so there is a draw that is draining the batt & there would have to be for it to go dead that fast unless the batt is really kaput. (3) that ain't a long blog! (not even close ). some of the symptoms ain't (quite) adding up completely & the battery is always the first item to confirm. It'd sure be nice if you could borrow another one for an hour or so. Holler with any news

Re: Turned the key and nothing? [Re: RapidRobert] #1708761
12/11/14 07:44 PM
12/11/14 07:44 PM
california
S
sbcjd Offline OP
mopar
sbcjd  Offline OP
mopar
S

california
Went to Sam's club this morning. They tested the battery and said it had a dead cell. So they gave me a new battery. I am going to install it after lunch. Hopefully this will do the trick.

Page 2 of 2 1 2