Riverside, Ca
G
G_bob Offline
master
G_bob  Offline
master
G

Riverside, Ca
Well, I'm no expert, and I don't even play one on TV, so I try to do as Monte recommends.
Quote:

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite statements over the years........."common sense just ain't all that common"...........LOL!!!

And here is a thought for some........how about check with the company that YOU bought YOUR fuel pump from and see what THEY say............and then refer to first paragraph........LOL!

Monte

So, I spoke with the guy who designed my filters AND was an engineer with the company that made my fuel pump.

So, with his recommendation of filters for my style of pump...
"40 Micron Filters
Designed for use as prefilters for gerotor style electric fuel pumps. Also used to filter fuel before it enters the carb."

I did it this way. Only been 9.92 @ 135.

Re: Fuel filter? [Re: G_bob] #1701841
11/27/14 05:55 PM
11/27/14 05:55 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Well, I'm no expert, and I don't even play one on TV, so I try to do as Monte recommends.
Quote:

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite statements over the years........."common sense just ain't all that common"...........LOL!!!

And here is a thought for some........how about check with the company that YOU bought YOUR fuel pump from and see what THEY say............and then refer to first paragraph........LOL!

Monte

So, I spoke with the guy who designed my filters AND was an engineer with the company that made my fuel pump.

So, with his recommendation of filters for my style of pump...
"40 Micron Filters
Designed for use as prefilters for gerotor style electric fuel pumps. Also used to filter fuel before it enters the carb."

I did it this way. Only been 9.92 @ 135.

There should be hose between the filters and the pump. The filter's should not be mounted solid to the pump.
Because the way it is now, vibration is transferred directly to the filter housings. Mounted ridged that way can lift the filter cartridge inside, off of there spring loaded seats under extreme vibration like during tire shake after a burnout. Plus good tire shake could crack those filters off the pump. Or in a accident those filters mounted that way will break off a lot easier than hose will. There's no support for the filters and there needs to be. The filter should be mounted to the car with rubber lined clamps.

If you used a strainer discharge fitting in your fuel tank you could get rid of one of those big ole housings(which is good, big is good in filters) and save weight and space. Plus having the strainer housing so close to the inlet of the pump can cause cavitation. I could go on, but I won't.

Just trying to help.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Re: Fuel filter? [Re: Challenger 1] #1701842
11/27/14 06:13 PM
11/27/14 06:13 PM
Graham, WA
P
Polarapete Offline
top fuel
Polarapete  Offline
top fuel
P

Graham, WA
I am enjoying following all this because I will be building the fuel system for the Ramcharger over the winter and hope to incorporate a lot of the common sense that I have seen here

1986 Dodge Ramcharger 440 2wd, Bracket Racer Under Construction
1998 Ram 2500 QuadCab, new daily driver.
2008 Honda Element
2014 Carry-On 7x14 Cargo Trailer
Re: Fuel filter? [Re: Polarapete] #1701843
11/27/14 09:40 PM
11/27/14 09:40 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
So what have we learned so far from the useable information
1.Some type of wire mesh strainer in line between cell and pump.
2.Size of micron is still under debate.
3.Paper elements don't seem to be too popular.
4.One guy that thinks I'm a "geek" is concerned about mounting a filter directly to the pump Now I have seen some high end pumps with the filter mated to a common base with the pump
5.Most agree that a filter after the pump is a good idea.

Now I'm pretty sure that those fused brass ball filters and the single disc type filters are not considered "high performance" enough for the OP's application.

Anyone else learn anything constructive by reading this thread?
Just add to the list

Now I've been considering mounting a pump in the tank with a sock type strainer on the inlet and an inline filter about a foot from the outlet.
I found this to be a very good read. Linky: http://www.skspeed.com/p.aspx?u=Fuel%20Filters
Gus

Last edited by fourgearsavoy; 11/27/14 09:50 PM.

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: Fuel filter? [Re: fourgearsavoy] #1701844
11/27/14 11:03 PM
11/27/14 11:03 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
Quote:

So what have we learned so far from the useable information
1.Some type of wire mesh strainer in line between cell and pump.
2.Size of micron is still under debate.
3.Paper elements don't seem to be too popular.
4.One guy that thinks I'm a "geek" is concerned about mounting a filter directly to the pump Now I have seen some high end pumps with the filter mated to a common base with the pump
5.Most agree that a filter after the pump is a good idea.

Now I'm pretty sure that those fused brass ball filters and the single disc type filters are not considered "high performance" enough for the OP's application.

Anyone else learn anything constructive by reading this thread?
Just add to the list

Now I've been considering mounting a pump in the tank with a sock type strainer on the inlet and an inline filter about a foot from the outlet.
I found this to be a very good read. Linky: http://www.skspeed.com/p.aspx?u=Fuel%20Filters
Gus

I learned that this thread was similar/typical of all other threads,,,,'no matter what the topic, there WILL be an argument'.

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: Fuel filter? [Re: CHAPPER] #1701845
11/28/14 05:23 PM
11/28/14 05:23 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I run this set up on my car with E85, it has a stainless screen in the gold colored prefilter and a paper element in the blue filter between the pump and the regulator. After reading about the possible effects on the paper element I will order a 40 micron stanless filter for it and replace it instead of waiting for the paper element to fail, I have used this set up for two years now 12AN to the pump, 10 AN to the regulator, #8AN return to the tank. BG400 pump, Magnafuel 2 port regulator.

8344652-SANY0274.JPG (116 downloads)
Last edited by Cab_Burge; 11/28/14 05:30 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Fuel filter? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1701846
11/28/14 05:40 PM
11/28/14 05:40 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
You sure you got all those hooked up right??

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: Fuel filter? [Re: CHAPPER] #1701847
11/28/14 06:13 PM
11/28/14 06:13 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

You sure you got all those hooked up right??

I bought it that way, it had a blown B1 aluminum motor in it before I bought it. It had a cam driven mecahical fuel pump so I had to add the electric fuel pump and blue filter and regulator, the other hoses are for the cooling system. It had the electric water pump and two small oil coolers for the cooling system on it when I got this car The front end slides off to work on the motor BTW, it does look a lot like your picture

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Fuel filter? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1701848
11/28/14 07:11 PM
11/28/14 07:11 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Since it's show off and tell time. I built this entire car except for the chassis in 1993. It's a 632" big chief pontiac in a Donovan block/shorty PG/9". Trick 2 piece dragster dry sump pan. Went 6.90s without the nitrous. This is the 3rd dragster that I built myself and it is NOT one of the 6 top alcohol dragsters that I built.
It has a belt driven fuel pump on alcohol and had a separate holley blue pump and tank with gasoline for the nitrous system all in a dragster.
I did all the work, built the motor, trans, rear end, wired and plumbed every piece myself. I also tuned and drove them.
I also won races with this car and qualified #1 at every race one year, 8 of them. Ran super quick with it. Had to run 450s with it, which it would do every run on motor only.

Used a very basic microprocessor to pulse the nitrous solenoids. That's why there's 2 solenoids in series, one was a safety. Tons of wiring, diodes across the coils to protect the controller and relays for the solenoids.

Then I went from quick 8 cars to top alcohol dragsters. Same deal I built every piece of the car except the chassis. I did 99% of the tuning but did get help from Tom Conway at some races.

Better know your fuel system otherwise you will burn up/torch your motor in under 3 seconds under power, I've done it. I had 6 guys working for me and had a nice sponsor to help with the cost. Red car is me.
I ended it, the racing. Had a sponsor who wanted to double his budget with me, wanted more races from me for the next year. I decided to take a year off since it wasn't fun anymore. We won best appearing crew at our last race with new uniforms. I may go back someday, I still own a lot of equipment to race. I burned no bridges, were all still friends including the sponsor. These pictures was not the last race.

Re: Fuel filter? [Re: fourgearsavoy] #1701849
11/28/14 09:13 PM
11/28/14 09:13 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Boy do I feel like a geek I think I might just switch the positions and clip my ET from 10.91 to maybe 10.50 I thought I was doing pretty good with a 3600# car and 3.54 gears I'll change it tomorrow and wait unti spring and try it out.
Thanks
Gus

Nothing personal, maybe my slang shouldn't be so sharp?

That street low pressure pump can tolerate that filter just fine most of the time except when it get's real hot out, then you might have trouble?

I wouldn't change it unless your already doing something there, plus you have it plumbed with over sized line which helps a lot and is good. Honestly I think that setup is OK. But don't like aluminum line for a street car.

It's when you use a hi pressure pump like a holley blue pump and up is when you have to be more careful with inlet plumbing. Outlet size and filter placement really don't matter and does not have to be huge like the inlet should be.

Re: Fuel filter? [Re: Challenger 1] #1701850
11/29/14 04:36 PM
11/29/14 04:36 PM
Illinois
Mopar_Ray Offline OP
mopar
Mopar_Ray  Offline OP
mopar

Illinois
Thanks for all the ideas. I'm going to replace the Fram filter with a 100 micron stainless inline filter, and bigger hose Between the fuel cell and pump. My fuel cell has two -8 outlets, so I'm thinking of using both outlets with -8 lines to a Y fitting with a -10 outlet to filter then to pump. The Holley black pump only has 3/8" inlet and outlets? I'll run a finer inline filter after the pump. Let me know if you see any problems.

Re: Fuel filter? [Re: Mopar_Ray] #1701851
11/29/14 05:13 PM
11/29/14 05:13 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm going to replace the Fram filter with a 100 micron stainless inline filter, and bigger hose Between the fuel cell and pump. My fuel cell has two -8 outlets, so I'm thinking of using both outlets with -8 lines to a Y fitting with a -10 outlet to filter then to pump. The Holley black pump only has 3/8" inlet and outlets? I'll run a finer inline filter after the pump. Let me know if you see any problems.

I run two # 8`s into a billet y then a # 10 to a 100 mic filter directly bolted to the pump then a # 10 to my reg then # 8`s to the bowls.

Last edited by Thumperdart; 11/29/14 06:15 PM.

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Fuel filter? [Re: Mopar_Ray] #1701852
11/29/14 05:22 PM
11/29/14 05:22 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

That will work

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4