Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: plazomat] #1692669
10/31/14 06:42 PM
10/31/14 06:42 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA

MC may be too large but a smaller MC will lower the pedal even more.

Adding a prop valve or RPV won't help the stopping problem.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: therocks] #1692670
10/31/14 06:43 PM
10/31/14 06:43 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Plaz you had 4 wheel drums that were OK for what they were & you wanted better & kept the rear drums intact & swapped to the alum dual MC/discs up front (as stated in your parts list) with no other changes & it's worse now, is that correct?. The alum MC can have a thicker flange/more recessed piston position (possibly deeper "thimble" also) & then there's the thickness of Andys adapter plate all of which contribute to a lower pedal. An adjustable MP will take care of that. This is pretty much identical to what I had/did on my drum/drum dart converted to disc/drum & it was fine even with the big bore MC but others definitely have had issues with too big of bore in the MC but 1&1/32" doesn't sound to big . Keep us posted. You had manual brakes before so pedal ratio ain't an issue. I would get the pedal height up but sounds like something else is going on. If you have only plumbed in new discs up front which is how I read it (then problem is up front (mc/discs) not in the splitter valve or in the rear drums) & your proportioning might be off (if anything the discs would be engageing too quick) but that ain't the issue going on. I would get the front wheels off the ground & grab a helper to spin the wheel(s) (for a start).

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: RapidRobert] #1692671
10/31/14 07:03 PM
10/31/14 07:03 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
I'm thinking the pads are glazed over, had drums do this alot. The best brakes i ever had where a-body(70 Duster) front disc and the largest drums in back, no power just the safety valve and stock drum master with no residual valve to the front, stop on a dime.

Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: cudaman1969] #1692672
10/31/14 07:15 PM
10/31/14 07:15 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
plazomat Offline OP
mopar
plazomat  Offline OP
mopar

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks guys for all the insight - just wanna make this thing safe to drive again.

Dayclona - would love to see your list - not set against power brakes, just didn't think it was needed..it is for a 1969 Plymouth B. I just like the look of the 2 bolt master, but if it has to go then so be it - I usually drive with the hood down anyway

Changing pads is quick and easy enough - what do you guys suggest for a pin type caliper - I think 2.75 piston - 72 ebody calipers.

Rapid Robert - you are correct that the drums in fine working order just wanted better....all hardlines are plumbed and new.

Pedal height - just to clear up what I mean. The pedal is physically at the right height, up tight against the brake light switch. It just does seem to grab until about half way down and then can't push it beyond 75% down - hard as a rock.

Feels like brakes have no bite..

Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: plazomat] #1692673
10/31/14 07:23 PM
10/31/14 07:23 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Online content
I Win
AndyF  Online Content
I Win
A

Oregon
Maybe they don't have any bite. Could be glazed pads or glazed rotors. If you didn't bed them in correctly then you could have very low friction and not much stopping force.

You could have a variety of issues with the brake system but the overall design should work fine. You just need to figure out where the problem is.

The 11.75 rotors will work better on a big heavy car than the 10.90 rotors, but you should still be able to get the 10.9 system to stop the car effectively.

Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: cudaman1969] #1692674
10/31/14 07:24 PM
10/31/14 07:24 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
The responses are all over the map here. LOTS of opinions.
I don't see how pads could get glazed if they never got hot enough to stop the car.
When a "custom" situation like this gives poor results, maybe a wise move is to mimic a setup that the factory used. Once you have a matched set of components, you have a better chance of success.
Here is what seems wrong from my point of view:
Wrong type of master cylinder for the application.
Lack of proper front/rear proportioning.
Again, the OP has not given all the information. Maybe I missed it?
Vehicle, brake size, caliper bore size, master cylinder adapter size and type, brake pedal pushrod length as compared to the original. Again, once you deviate from a factory setup, every single component results in a "variable" that can cause trouble if it is not correct for your application.
Trying to help with such little information is not easy. If you want help, you need to give more details.
Are you listening?

8317394-June12254.JPG (82 downloads)
Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: plazomat] #1692675
10/31/14 07:52 PM
10/31/14 07:52 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Quote:

Pedal height - just to clear up what I mean. The pedal is physically at the right height, up tight against the brake light switch. It just does seem to grab until about half way down and then can't push it beyond 75% down - hard as a rock.

So the whole time you push the pedal its filling up the system because you haven't used the valves as advised. Start there.

When it gets "hard as a rock" is it possible you've totally compressed the cylinder in the m/c ?!?!?

What about the pushrod, what are you using and is it in full contact in the m/c with the pedal at full height? This can be an issue because the m/c spacer plate is a good 1/4" thick or more.
Keep in mind the pedal ratio here - if there is even a 1/8" of play in the pushrod it will take almost an inch of pedal just to take up that slack! On the flip side, are you sure that the pushrod isn't preloading the m/c ??

FWIW you want the pushrod in the m/c, bolt the m/c to the firewall then crawl in the car and install the pushrod to pedal bolt without having to move either the pedal or the pushrod to make it fit.

Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: plazomat] #1692676
10/31/14 07:59 PM
10/31/14 07:59 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Pedal height - just to clear up what I mean. The pedal is physically at the right height, up tight against the brake light switch. It just does seem to grab until about half way down and then can't push it beyond 75% down - hard as a rock. Feels like brakes have no bite..

We're on to something with this (clarification). I would buy a pair of brass inverted flare male fittings to cap the MC & if it is good (& bled out) the pedal will be rock hard with virtually NO travel. Those "Edelman" fittings are cheap & you will reuse em. How about we get the MC cleared away as the culprit (I think it is guilty). It ain't the pads. with my (earlier mentioned) dart that is somewhat similar to your conversion there is a very slight bit of pedal travel & it's rock hard. EDIT If you have a MC fitting/line pigtail handy you might flatten the line end & install it in the disc port & see if the pedal is now rock hard/virtually no travel. OP post what it ends up being cuz we got bets on this one

Last edited by RapidRobert; 10/31/14 08:05 PM.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: plazomat] #1692677
10/31/14 08:25 PM
10/31/14 08:25 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Thanks guys for all the insight - just wanna make this thing safe to drive again.

Dayclona - would love to see your list - not set against power brakes, just didn't think it was needed..it is for a 1969 Plymouth B. I just like the look of the 2 bolt master, but if it has to go then so be it - I usually drive with the hood down anyway

Personally, I'd go with a 1 1/8" bore master intended for manual disc applications which the majority were equipped with 10" rear drums, and a proportioning valve, either factory or aftermarket adjustable....just my opinion

Mike

8317429-masters.JPG (152 downloads)
Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: DAYCLONA] #1692678
11/01/14 01:32 PM
11/01/14 01:32 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
The bigger the bore, the higher the pedal effort for manual brakes (and longer required pedal travel -- but long pedal travel can be caused by other 'errors' in the installation). Would be the same rule for PB also, but you might not feel the difference as the booster might mask it.

I put manual DB on my 68 Fury and used a MC from a mid-70s 1/2-ton truck with MDisc. Don't know the bore, but I know it's on the smaller end. Same pedal feel as MDrum but significantly improved braking.

I feel there's a typo or some add'l info missing in that chart above. 1-1/8 is the largest bore, and has always been used with PB (I don't know what that taxi reference is about). The heavier the car, the more crucial the bore size toward pedal effort. A 67-70 A-body could probably use the same bore for both PB and MB, but a heavier car will show excessive pedal effort if the bore is too big.

Edit - that chart is showing where a particular MC was used, bu tit doesn't mean that it's the only MC used for that car - 67-69 C-body is an example of that, a 67-68 could have 1 of 2 bore sizes for MB or PB.

Last edited by Fury Fan; 11/01/14 01:36 PM.
Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: DAYCLONA] #1692679
11/01/14 03:38 PM
11/01/14 03:38 PM
Polson, MT
DoctorDiff Offline
master
DoctorDiff  Offline
master

Polson, MT
A 1 1/8" bore master cylinder was never installed on a factory equipped disc brake A,B or E-body.

All else being equal, a smaller bore master cylinder will yield higher line pressure at the caliper, with a longer, lighter pedal stroke.

Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: DoctorDiff] #1692680
11/01/14 04:26 PM
11/01/14 04:26 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

A 1 1/8" bore master cylinder was never installed on a factory equipped disc brake A,B or E-body.

8318264-masterccccc.JPG (158 downloads)
Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: DAYCLONA] #1692681
11/01/14 04:55 PM
11/01/14 04:55 PM
E Central IN
N
nd65 Offline
pro stock
nd65  Offline
pro stock
N

E Central IN
The description of your issue sounds like using the brakes on a power brake car with the engine not running.

You ever (with engine off) popped a PB in neutral and let it roll a bit then hit the brakes. Is that what you are describing?

You running a PB MC W/O a booster?

I would put in a correct MC for your application. I used a 1974 "A" body manual disc brake MC on my '65. Works fine.

Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: DAYCLONA] #1692682
11/01/14 05:08 PM
11/01/14 05:08 PM
Polson, MT
DoctorDiff Offline
master
DoctorDiff  Offline
master

Polson, MT
The OP does not have power brakes. The factory installed 1 1/32" bore master cylinders on cars equipped with manual disc brakes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Master-Cyl...p=mtr#vi-ilComp

Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: DoctorDiff] #1692683
11/01/14 06:55 PM
11/01/14 06:55 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Quote:

I would put in a correct MC for your application

Where's the fun in that ?!?!

Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: DoctorDiff] #1692684
11/01/14 07:25 PM
11/01/14 07:25 PM
Morrow, OH
markz528 Offline
master
markz528  Offline
master

Morrow, OH
I have the same problem with my 67 Coronet. Have the 10 inch rotors and an adjustable proportioning valve and the DoctorDiff smaller (15/16"?) master cylinder. I have the Raybestos semi-metallic pads and 10 x 2 1/2 inch rear brakes.

It just doesn't have any braking power. Last year my daughter spun the car out at the track because the rear brakes locked up.

I am going to replace the calipers with the larger 76 Volare calipers. Not sure what else to do, but right now the brakes stink!

67 Coronet 500 9.610 @ 139.20 mph
67 Coronet 500 (street car) 14.82 @ 94 mph
69 GTX (clone) - build in progress......
Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: markz528] #1692685
11/01/14 07:35 PM
11/01/14 07:35 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Awhile back when I was trying to make a manual 4 wheel disc setup work in my car, I tried a 15/16" M/C from Dr Diff. It didn't help. Nothing did and I tried several combinations of parts. I had different pads, front calipers, DRUM brake combination valves, DISC/DRUM proportioning valves, different master cylinders of various bore sizes...I took a humiliating defeat and put the power brakes stuff back on with a 4 wheel DRUM combination block and now it all works great.
This stuff can make you pull your hair out when the combination is out of whack. It really helps to have an engineered "system" instead of trying to save money by picking and choosing individual parts (AND hoping that they play well together.)

Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: Kern Dog] #1692686
11/01/14 07:40 PM
11/01/14 07:40 PM
Morrow, OH
markz528 Offline
master
markz528  Offline
master

Morrow, OH
Quote:

Awhile back when I was trying to make a manual 4 wheel disc setup work in my car, I tried a 15/16" M/C from Dr Diff. It didn't help. Nothing did and I tried several combinations of parts. I had different pads, front calipers, DRUM brake combination valves, DISC/DRUM proportioning valves, different master cylinders of various bore sizes...I took a humiliating defeat and put the power brakes stuff back on with a 4 wheel DRUM combination block and now it all works great.
This stuff can make you pull your hair out when the combination is out of whack. It really helps to have an engineered "system" instead of trying to save money by picking and choosing individual parts (AND hoping that they play well together.)

That's not encouraging..............

67 Coronet 500 9.610 @ 139.20 mph
67 Coronet 500 (street car) 14.82 @ 94 mph
69 GTX (clone) - build in progress......
Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: DAYCLONA] #1692687
11/01/14 07:50 PM
11/01/14 07:50 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Quote:

Mike,
I've seen that chart before but don't know where it came from. It may have some errors. Here's what I found for Master Cylinder bores from Chrysler factory info (which may have errors too, but at least its from a good primary source).

The chart you posted indicates 1968-69 B-bodies used master cylinder p/n 2883058.
Chrysler's Master Technician Booklet from 1969 agrees, (Master Cylinders for 1969 model year)

However the Plymouth 1968 Service Manual shows the following specifications.
All models with Drums 1"
Kelsey Hayes equiped 1"
Bendix equiped 1"
Budd equiped 1 1/8"

That noted, the Master Technician's booklet from '67 states the Bendix equiped cars have master cylinders with 1-1/8" bores. page 13, Master Cyliner Information Are they both right? Is one wrong? Maybe, I don't know. Probably some more digging, and searching with the restoration crew would be needed.

Quote:

These are often called the "Texas" valve for obvious reasons. They are the ones I mentioned from a 73-76 A body.

Frank - wrong link/picture. Those are later combo valves. The Texas shaped valves look much more like the state! :LOL:

Quote:

I know a combination valve is in order but will that fix the feel of the brakes?

It will not fix the problem you describe. Get whatever E-berg recommended. If he recommended a proportioning valve, then just get one and plumb it into the rear line. A proportioning valve reduces the increase in hydraulic pressure to the rear wheel cylinders once the system pressure reaches a set point. For example, if the set point is 300 psi, then from 0 to 300 psi all four brakes receive the same hydraulic pressure. On a harder stop from higher speed, lets say you apply more force on the brake pedal, and the pressure from the master cylinder produced is 400 psi. If the proportioning valve is set up for 50% reduction, the front brakes will get 400 psi and the rear wheel cylinders will see only 350 psi.

Quote:

I guess I need a residual pressure valve in the rear lines as well - will that fix the pedal height?

Many master cylinders come with a the residual valve on the front port (for the rear brakes). If there is no residual valve, the springs on the shoes will squeeze alot of the fluid out of the wheel cylinderss and back into the master's resevoir.

Quote:

Brakes are bled I guess - no spongy but low and hard as hell pedal.

Read MTSC booklets on brakes to see Chrysler's recommendations on bleeding. Gravity was Chrysler's prefered method for the front discs. If you hae any doubts get a helper and do the drums with the pump shut method, and make sure the bleeders are open at least a half turn.

Quote:

Brakes just suck - low but hard pedal and I gotta stand on it to stop the car..

As others have said, could be a number of things. Troubleshoot possible faults before changing parts. A few points that may be helpful
* Recognize that duo-servo drum brakes are self energizing. They require less pedal effort than equivalent disks (unless the lining's overheat and lose friction which doesn't happen in everyday driving).
* Lining material can make a difference. Some linings have more initial bite than others. Some of the modern high performance oriented linings may say 'street' but don't really bite until warmed up. Also, many of the newer high performance linings require bedding in that transfers material from the pad to the disk (or drum). This is what AndyF was talking about. On old school and some current organic and semi-metalic linings this is not really an issue, but on many of the new performance linings, it is. Finally, any grease, oil, etc, will mess up a lining quick! Brake cleaner is your friend!
* Final thought, make sure the rear drums are adjusted properly - just a few clicks shy of dragging. At lower speeds they a contribute a lot and will effect the initial pedal feel for sure.

Re: Disc o tech - blues....my 4 wheel drums were better. [Re: markz528] #1692688
11/01/14 07:59 PM
11/01/14 07:59 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Accell makes a pressure gauge that splices into the line,got one,came off a 90s pro stocker. They used it to set the line lock at a certain pressure to bump into the lights without rolling and having 3 feet. This would tell how much pressure is going to front or back. One more thing if you are using that brass splitter valve(from a previous pic)make sure the plunger is centered again,it could block off pressure to either front or back, what it was designed to do in the first place. Dodge sent me to school on brakes back in the 60s if your wondering.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3